BC Gets Transfer QB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BC Gets Transfer QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's hard to judge Addazio on last season. He lost his starting QB and ended up having to play guys so far down the line that I'm sure he never imagined they'd see the light of day on the field. Similarly, if UConn had lost Shirreffs for any stretch of time we would have been a 3 win team.

Reaction Score
It's hard to judge Addazio on last season. He lost his starting QB and ended up having to play guys so far down the line that I'm sure he never imagined they'd see the light of day on the field. Similarly, if UConn had lost Shirreffs for any stretch of time we would have been a 3 win team.
BC lost their starting RB, too for the season in the early season Northern Illinois win( in which he was stellar ). Once their starting QB and RB's went down, they couldn't score worth a lick after that, despite having perhaps the best defense in all of football. The biggest disappointment this season for BC however was the OL. Yes, they were all young and raw, but man, they were just awful this season. Awful. Its the OL that Daz needs to improve for next season, or it really won't matter if Daz has the return of his injured starting QB and RB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has recruited the QB position reasonably well, imo. Wade is his QB recruit, ( was injured early in the season, as starter, and went out for the year) and he has 2 more young QB's that he recruited coming in that seem pretty good on paper, imo. ( and also the transfer from Kentucky in Towles ) Don Brown is a big loss for BC as their DC however, so Addazio will need to find a good replacement. Addazio needs to get BC back to a winning record next season as he did his first 2 years at BC. No excuses for Adazzio next season however, as he does have lots of experienced returnees on both sides of the ball coming back.

It seems Addazio is changing the offense to a pro style offense going forward. He recruited QBs for a read option offense, so it would seem he has the wrong group on the roster. Fortunately, the QBs he did recruit are athletes so they can be moved to other positions, but I would think QB would be a major recruiting need.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
BC lost their starting RB, too for the season in the early season Northern Illinois win( in which he was stellar ). Once their starting QB and RB's went down, they couldn't score worth a lick after that, despite having perhaps the best defense in all of football. The biggest disappointment this season for BC however was the OL. Yes, they were all young and raw, but man, they were just awful this season. Awful. Its the OL that Daz needs to improve for next season, or it really won't matter if Daz has the return of his injured starting QB and RB.

Exactly. Very similar team to UConn this season. UConn's defense bought them most of their wins, and our offense got by on decent QB play and a RB with some explosive plays. Take those two things away and our offense would have been just as stagnant as BC's. I think you guys will be a lot better next year, especially given the grad transfer at QB. It'll be a good contest up in Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Very similar team to UConn this season. UConn's defense bought them most of their wins, and our offense got by on decent QB play and a RB with some explosive plays. Take those two things away and our offense would have been just as stagnant as BC's. I think you guys will be a lot better next year, especially given the grad transfer at QB. It'll be a good contest up in Chestnut Hill.
I was a skeptic on Diaco, but the Uconn defense improved by leaps and bounds over last season's play.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was a skeptic on Diaco, but the Uconn defense improved by leaps and bounds over last season's play.

For sure. I'm known as a Diaco apologist (as you can tell from my avatar), and Diaco/Poindexter have done incredible work on the defense. Maybe more important is that our turnover margin did a complete 180 in year 2. In part improved QB play, in part Diaco's bend don't break strategy becoming more effective. Either way, our defense should be even better next year with another year of coaching and a lot of sophomores/juniors getting another year older. Is BC's defense full of seniors, or are they younger guys as well? I love watching tough, defensive football games and am really looking forward to the match up w ith BC.

Reaction Score
Me, personally ? Next season, Daz needs to be go bowling with a 6-7 win season, and 8-9 wins to be required for 2017 from him. Incidentally, along these same lines, what are your Uconn football win expectations under Diaco for next season, and then for 2017 FDNY 99 ?
After 6-6 with the kids he has coming back 8 wins minimum is my expectation.

Reaction Score
. Is BC's defense full of seniors, or are they younger guys as well? I love watching tough, defensive football games and am really looking forward to the match up w ith BC.
Of the 22 players in the 2 deep defense, 19 out of the 22 are right now slated to return on defense next season as they were underclassmen this season. Brown was nothing less than a miracle worker on defense for BC. He made BC's defense the best in the country this season with an astonishingly young squad there on BC's defensive side of the ball. BC's biggest loss will be at MLB, Steven Daniels. He's just about a lock to be on an NFL roster next season, imo, after his graduation from BC this year. Soph Connor Strachan will move over and perhaps be his replacement at MLB, and he looked very good this season when he was out there at LB, imo. Uconn should be improved on defense too, imo, which should make for an interesting game next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After 6-6 with the kids he has coming back 8 wins minimum is my expectation.

In my opinion, BC's biggest shoes to fill will be their MLB, Steven Daniels. He was a beast on Defense. Who do you see as Uconn's biggest player loss, that will need to be filled in this offseason ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my opinion, BC's biggest shoes to fill will be their MLB, Steven Daniels. He was a beast on Defense. Who do you see as Uconn's biggest player loss, that will need to be filled in this offseason ?
Andrew Adams and Julien Campenni

Reaction Score
Andrew Adams and Julien Campenni
Yes... Campenni was solid on the DL, and Adams at safety. I remember watching Adams booting the dead ball into the stands on an incomplete 3rd down pass vs. BYU when the game was close in the 2nd half, and thought..... " ouch, thats not too smart", ( got a 15 yard unsportsmenlike penalty, gave BYU a 1st down, new life). Stuff happens. BC had their fair share of stupid penalties too this season as well.

Reaction Score
It seems Addazio is changing the offense to a pro style offense going forward. He recruited QBs for a read option offense, so it would seem he has the wrong group on the roster. Fortunately, the QBs he did recruit are athletes so they can be moved to other positions, but I would think QB would be a major recruiting need.

Yes, Wade is a completely different QB than Flutie, Fadule.... and Smith, the BC QB for the last 2 games just might be moved to CB, or punt, kickoff returns for next season. Adazzio needs to make up his mind as to what style of offense he wants to run, as he's sending out mixed signals it appears at the moment, and one of the gripes some BC fans are having with him right at the moment. Basically, I think he prefers to run the pro style offense, with a strong run game behind a physical OL. But the OL was so young and raw this season,.. and playing awful... that all his young and inexperienced QB's were running for their lives in the pocket, and all of them had that deer in the headlights look about them as a result. Jon Hilliman has the potential to be another Andre Williams like physical RB, and if he returns next season after his early season ending injury, and with either Wade or Towles at QB, the offense should be much improved.... unless the all Frosh- Soph OL doesn't develop..... if so, then all bets are off, and Addazio is probably a goner.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No. Because I disagree with the whole concept. It's one thing to transfer and sit a year and play or to play as a 5th year senior taking grad classes. But this stuff is somehow just making a mockery of the whole concept in my view. You would be hard pressed to find a 1 year graduate program so it isn't like the guys involved are seriously moving so they can get degrees. So you don't think I'm just anti-5th year like some basketball coaches, I'm equally opposed to 1 and done. More so really. If the NCAA was serious they would and could stop it and my solution would be simple. Guy leaves after his freshman year, that's all well and good. You forfeit his scholarship until his class would have graduated. Guys like Calapari would be playing walk-ons most of the time...

You don't think any of them will get those graduate degrees? None of these guys is going pro, or they wouldn't be trying to land a college role as a 5th year grad student. I recall one of them (don't remember who) switched schools because he liked the specific grad program where he went. These are at least real student athletes.

Reaction Score
Yes, Wade is a completely different QB than Flutie, Fadule.... and Smith, the BC QB for the last 2 games just might be moved to CB, or punt, kickoff returns for next season. Adazzio needs to make up his mind as to what style of offense he wants to run, as he's sending out mixed signals it appears at the moment, and one of the gripes some BC fans are having with him right at the moment. Basically, I think he prefers to run the pro style offense, with a strong run game behind a physical OL. But the OL was so young and raw this season,.. and playing awful... that all his young and inexperienced QB's were running for their lives in the pocket, and all of them had that deer in the headlights look about them as a result. Jon Hilliman has the potential to be another Andre Williams like physical RB, and if he returns next season after his early season ending injury, and with either Wade or Towles at QB, the offense should be much improved.... unless the all Frosh- Soph OL doesn't develop..... if so, then all bets are off, and Addazio is probably a goner.
Addazio preferrs to run the pro-style offense? I am surprised at how little you know about your
Coach Yawkey...he is a direct descendent of Urban Meyer and his run heavy spread attack..he was OC/acting HC at Florida under Meyer before being hired at Temple...when he was hired at BC he cut loose a recruit named Tim Boyle now at UCONN because he didn't fit his offensive system. If Addazio was going to go with the pro-style as you say..he would have kept Boyle and not cut him loose.

Reaction Score
When you want to right the ship and save your football program, the place you look for excellence is Kentucky Football. When you have a chance to grab a former Wildcat and pin your hopes on his ability...it is a no-brainer that you MUST get him. The fact he lost his job to a red-shirt freshman only sweetens the pot. Damn Diaco for not grabbing his first....

Reaction Score
Addazio preferrs to run the pro-style offense? I am surprised at how little you know about your
Coach Yawkey...
I don't know about this. I think I know Steve Addazio pretty well, having met him, dined once with him ( in my former hometown) and talked with him a few times since he's been the Head Coach at BC. He had a different offense under Meyer at Florida because of what Meyer wanted to run there, and more importantly the players he had for personnel at Florida on offense there. At BC, Addazio his first year ran a Pro Style offense and it was predicated upon primarily running the ball. Thats because the personnel skill levels he found at BC when he arrived was much different than at Florida. BC did not have the receivers. But they did have a veteran offensive line, and a running back that was big, physical, talented ( Andre Williams..of Heisman qualifying abilities ). So he ran the ball in the Pro Set. After Williams graduated, he brought in Murphy from Florida as his QB, and he altered the offense to his skill levels. Last season was a mismatch on offense, as he had 3 QB's that were too slow footed for a Spread... or anything but a Pro Set, but he had a Frosh QB ( Smith ) that could run ( but not throw ), so he utilized him in a different fashion. Its interesting to note that when this season started he had Hilliman ( RB ) primarily running the ball on most plays ( behind Wade at QB). There was no spread offense there. In my view, and hearing Daz, he is actually not wedded to any particular style of offense. Its geared to the particular skill levels of the players he has on offense. That primarily determines what offense style he prefers that season. If Towles beats out Wade, Daz will probably have Towles operating out of a Pro Set style offense, that Kentucky ran last season with Towles at QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know about this. I think I know Steve Addazio pretty well, having met him, dined once with him ( in my former hometown) and talked with him a few times since he's been the Head Coach at BC. He had a different offense under Myer at Florida because of what Myer wanted to run there, and more importantly the players he had for personnel at Florida on offense there. At BC, Addazio his first year ran a Pro Style offense and it was predicated upon primarily running the ball. Thats because the personnel skill levels he found at BC when he arrived was much different than at Florida. BC did not have the receivers. But they did have a veteran offensive line, and a running back that was big, physical, talented ( Andre Williams..of Heisman qualifying abilities ). So he ran the ball in the Pro Set. After Williams graduated, he brought in Murphy from Florida as his QB, and he altered the offense to his skill levels. Last season was a mismatch on offense, as he had 3 QB's that were too slow footed for anything but a Pro Set, but he had a Frosh QB ( Smith ) that could run ( but not throw ), so he utilized him in a differerent fashion. Its intersting to note that when this season started he had Hilliman ( RB ) primarily running the ball on most plays ( behind Wade at QB). There was no spread offense. In my view, and hearing Daz, he is not wedded to have style of offense. Its geared to the particular skill levels of the players he has on offense. That primarily determines what offense style he prefers that season.
That totally contradicts what Boyle said he was told when he reopened his recruitment. Here you have a pro-style QB that was told he didn't fit the offensive scheme he was gonna run. He sure didn't run a pro-style offense at Temple.

Reaction Score
Towles... the 5th year BC QB transfer from Kentucky will compete with Wade for the BC starting QB position. Towles woould not be coming to BC if he thought Addazio was wedded to developing a Spread Offense next season. While Towles is a quick and fast runner when he has to run, Towles is the classic Pro Set QB for certain, FDNY99. Wade is different. His skill levels are probably more in tune with the Spread. But I think Towles has the experience at QB that Addazio is looking for next season, .... so if Towles beats out Wade on the offseason to become BC's starting QB, I think we'll see Addazio utilizing primarily the Pro Set Offense next season, FDNY99. But who really knows. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Towles... the 5th year BC QB transfer from Kentucky will compete with Wade for the BC starting QB position. Towles woould not be coming to BC if he thought Addazio was wedded to developing a Spread Offense next season. While Towles is a quick and fast runner when he has to run, Towles is the classic Pro Set QB for certain, FDNY99. Wade is different. His skill levels are probably more in tune with the Spread. But I think Towles has the experience at QB that Addazio is looking for next season, .... so if Towles beats out Wade on the offseason to become BC's starting QB, I think we'll see Addazio utilizing primarily the Pro Set Offense next season, FDNY99. But who really knows. Time will tell.
One thing is for sure...this will be a make or break season for Addazio on the Hill. I can tell you that the first year for a defense after Don Brown leaves can be VERY rough. I can only imagine how hot Coach Smoke & Mirrors' seat will get with a loss to UCONN.

Reaction Score
When you want to right the ship and save your football program, the place you look for excellence is Kentucky Football. When you have a chance to grab a former Wildcat and pin your hopes on his ability...it is a no-brainer that you MUST get him. The fact he lost his job to a red-shirt freshman only sweetens the pot. Damn Diaco for not grabbing his first....
QB... and Towles... was not the primary problem at Kentucky last season, imo. Towles was a 4 star recruited player... Gatorade's Kentucky Player of the Year in his Senior Year at QB in High School. If you think that Uconn is so solid at the QB position right now, that Diaco would not be happy to have him on the Uconn roster for next season, you are just kidding yourself here.

Reaction Score
In my view, and hearing Daz, he is actually not wedded to any particular style of offense. Its geared to the particular skill levels of the players he has on offense. That primarily determines what offense style he prefers that season.
That would concern me if I was a BC fan. I hope you are 100% right about that because if that's the case then BC is in for another season of offensive ineptitude. He's had 3 years to establish HIS system there. Adjusting it season to season, game to game, based on who's healthy and who's on the roster is an odd approach. I get it the first year, adjusting the system to the skills you inherit, but by year 3 a good coach has that sorted out. I guess we will find out next fall.

Reaction Score
One thing is for sure...this will be a make or break season for Addazio on the Hill. I can tell you that the first year for a defense after Don Brown leaves can be VERY rough. I can only imagine how hot Coach Smoke & Mirrors' seat will get with a loss to UCONN.
Absolutely. Addazio needs to beat Uconn for sure, and go bowling next season, or its true, he's probably a goner after next season. He had excuses for this season. But he won't for next season, as he's got lots of young returnees back, including his original starting QB ( Wade ) and RB ( Hilliman )... and a defense returning 19 out of 22 on the 2 deep... a defense that was the best in the nation this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom