Baylor/UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Baylor/UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is anyone worried/nervous about playing Baylor after a long holiday break? I just hope we’re not sluggish from the start because Baylor is a talented group with matchup nightmares for us.

Yes, this match up scares me to death as a UConn fan! Coming off a long layoff, playing on the road in a completely sold out Ferrell Center, Baylor's height, Baylor's underrated 3 point shooters, UConn's lack of anything resembling a bench, and UConn's inability to rebound or guard the 3 point line make this a tough matchup for UConn.

UConn is going to have to limit 2nd chance points, keep Brown from completely dominating the game, shoot the ball well, and stay out of foul trouble if they want any chance at winning this game!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Uconn plays defense Baylor doesnt. Thats why we beat them when they had Griner twice. UConns quickness, and balance will hurt Baylor badly. My only concern is foul trouble because its at Baylor but without foul trouble UConn could win this one by alot. Baylor has not played much of a tuff schedule and a schedule that doesnt test them . JMO

Reaction Score
Brown and Cox will have to guard smaller, quicker, skilled players in space and match their speed in transition. The match-up difficulties go both ways. The pace of the game will be important.
Agree but it will be Baylor's guards that determine their transition success (or lack of). UConn is too fast so it would be rare for Brown and Cox, who usually hit the offensive boards, to get back. Another way of saying, if UConn doesn't get the defensive boards, this is a moot point. Its rare UConn needs to box out TWO big bodies.

Reaction Score
Uconn plays defense Baylor doesnt. Thats why we beat them when they had Griner twice. UConns quickness, and balance will hurt Baylor badly. My only concern is foul trouble because its at Baylor but without foul trouble UConn could win this one by alot. Baylor has not played much of a tuff schedule and a schedule that doesnt test them . JMO
Not sure why all the focus solely on Brown and Cox. If Baylor's guards are hitting 3's, it opens up the floor. I don't care how fast UConn is, if Brown (and to a lesser extent Cox) can set up underneath and shoot 4 footers, no one on UConn if up to that challenge. Don't expect this to happen but suggest Baylor's guards will influence outcome as much as their height.

Reaction Score
The team has played two games in the last four weeks, so everyone should be well rested.

Reaction Score
Baylor ranks #3 in the nation is 3FG% at 42.1% (40-95). That is by far the lowest attempts among the top 50 in the nation in that category. UConn ranks #15 in the nation shooting 39.0% (87-223).

Reaction Score
Baylor ranks #3 in the nation is 3FG% at 42.1% (40-95). That is by far the lowest attempts among the top 50 in the nation in that category. UConn ranks #15 in the nation shooting 39.0% (87-223).

In the 10 games Baylor has played, they attempt less than 10 (9.5 actual) 3FG% and make on average 4 of them. In the OU and Cal games both Robertson and Thomas went off with 6 made 3's each...I like the odds for this upcoming game. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't stand a chance against the juggernaut that is Baylor. UCONN will be lucky to be within 20 of them. Baylor is gonna roll over UCONN like Chuck Berry rolled over Beethoven.
are you appeasing the basketball mojo?? if so... good job!

I believe UCONN will do to Baylor what Stanford did... clearly it will be a challenge, but UCONN will prevail!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
are you appeasing the basketball mojo??
I think so. I prefer the more traditional

1546446043085.png

Reaction Score
Any Boneyarders meeting up at halftime? I'll be there with my friend who flew in from California for the game!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't stand a chance against the juggernaut that is Baylor. UCONN will be lucky to be within 20 of them. Baylor is gonna roll over UCONN like Chuck Berry rolled over Beethoven.
Juggernauts don't lose to Stanford; well, not this year's Stanford team. Maybe next year's team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They were 40-0 the year prior. Saying that 2014-15 team wasn't a juggernaut is laughable.
They were not that game, at least they did not play like it. I don't see anything funny about it.

Reaction Score
They were not that game, at least they did not play like it. I don't see anything funny about it.
That team had a senior KML, juniors Stewie, Tuck, and Mo with Kia at the 2, and Kiah and Gabby coming off the bench. That was one of the greatest teams in WCBB history. I still rewatch those games against South Carolina, Texas, and Miss St just to remind myself of how good basketball can look when played about as perfectly as you can play the game, but even juggernauts drop one here and there whether it's UConn or Golden State.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you but I would not count on Brown getting in foul trouble while trying to cover Napheesa. The refs might swallow their whistles on the Baylor home court.
Aye, that's the rub. Whistles: swallowed or excessive. However, a fair whistle will favor UC.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The most important thing for UConn on offense is pace of play. If the team can exert their will, play at the pace they want, play cohesively during sets, and limit TO's, then perimeter shooting becomes less important. If they are unable to wear down Baylor's bigs with their fast pace and Baylor does their best to bring the pace to a crawl, then the perimeter, high post play, inside/out play, penetration and mid range shots during their sets all become more important. No matter what, they'll need to pull Baylor's bigs out to the perimeter and at least hit the occasional outside shot.

On defense they cannot allow 2nd and 3rd shots, they must stay with their marks, not allow penetration with easy shots for Baylor's bigs, and they must rebound. Collier will have the tough job of keeping Brown off the block and low post on defense. Cox is going to have a tough job keeping up with Lou's pace. Collier will have to bring Brown out to the nail and high post on offense. If Cox can't stay with the pace then it will be up to Smith to do it. However, if Baylor thinks they can play isolation ball with Smith all game then they're in for a long night. It's all doable stuff, so we'll see tomorrow.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I am going to tell you how UConn will beat Baylor. Its really pretty simple. It doesnt take alot of knowledge. It doesnt take alot of skill. It really isnt had to figure out. The only thing UConn has to do is score more points then Baylor??????????????? LOL and they will

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I predict that ONO plays over 9 minutes in this game.

And I predict that Kim absolutely loses her mind and her cool sometime in the 2nd half, as she helplessly watches her team fall further and further behind in the game, (UConn goes on a 8-10 pt. run). She looks on knowing that she and her team are powerless to stop it. Also realizing that the momentum is with UConn, because they're rolling down hill (getting whatever they want on offense) like an avalanche.

I believe like so many other posters here that UConn poses more problems for Baylor than Baylor does for UConn. Stanford showed everyone how to defeat Baylor. You can believe UConn studied THAT tape in detail for several hours. Baylor has no such tape of UConn they can watch..

I'm sure they looked at the St. Johns and the Oklahoma games, and tried to find anything they could use to slow down the Huskies. I also predict that UConn holds Baylor under 68 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak