Baylor/UConn | The Boneyard

Baylor/UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is anyone worried/nervous about playing Baylor after a long holiday break? I just hope we’re not sluggish from the start because Baylor is a talented group with matchup nightmares for us.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I disagree, and I hope people on this board agree that we are a match up nightmare for them. I can't imagine Brown and Cox defending Pheesa and Lou. I guess BU could go to a zone to prevent their "bigs" from getting run into the ground but that may not even help.
I also think/hope that Pheesa can get Brown into early foul trouble and if not, I think Pheesa is quicker than Brown to give her a defensive advantage. And either Megan or Lou should be able to defend Cox.
And finally, why has no one asked how is Baylor going to be able to defend us with all of our quickness and scorers?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can Baylor run with Huskies?
Can Baylor stop Huskies from 3pt line? Not just 1, but 4 who are better than most players in WBB from 3?
Can Baylor cut off passing lanes?

I think UCONN's speed, quickness, outside shooting all spell trouble for Baylor. Yes Brown will be a challenge, but I am confident there is a defensive plan in place to make her night less than enjoyable.

Massey has this as a 2 point UCONN win...maybe so, but if Brown or Cox get gassed early, and/or in foul trouble, the game could get away from them quickly.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Heck, I agree with both posters. Remember how poorly UConn played after their previous ten-day layoff?

On the other hand, we saw how Stanford made Brown and Cox pretty much non-factors. If UConn is firing on all cylinders, they can take what Stanford did a step further. And as Centerstream said, Collier can have a field day against Brown or Cox one-on-one. If they play zone, it's likely that some combination of the five starters can kill Baylor from distance.

Reaction Score
The size differential inside will definitely be a factor, but so will the ability to score beyond the arc. It all depends on who brings their A game. If UConn goes 2-17 from 3 point range again, it’ll be a 1 point win at best, but more likely a loss. If UConn hits like they did against St. Louis, then Baylor gets blown out of the water. Barring some crazy hot shooting (like Cal in the first half), Baylor will need to rely on their bigs in this game since their guards aren’t prolific shooters and them driving would only lead to collisions with their own bigs.

Reaction Score
I disagree, and I hope people on this board agree that we are a match up nightmare for them. I can't imagine Brown and Cox defending Pheesa and Lou. I guess BU could go to a zone to prevent their "bigs" from getting run into the ground but that may not even help.
I also think/hope that Pheesa can get Brown into early foul trouble and if not, I think Pheesa is quicker than Brown to give her a defensive advantage. And either Megan or Lou should be able to defend Cox.
And finally, why has no one asked how is Baylor going to be able to defend us with all of our quickness and scorers?

I tend to agree with you but I would not count on Brown getting in foul trouble while trying to cover Napheesa. The refs might swallow their whistles on the Baylor home court.

Reaction Score
Is anyone worried/nervous about playing Baylor after a long holiday break? I just hope we’re not sluggish from the start because Baylor is a talented group with matchup nightmares for us.
Agree, this game will be interesting. Both teams present problems for each other but I picked ND to beat UCONN mainly because of the match up problems and the home court advantage and we know what happen there, my pick UCONN in tight game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Much like in the ND game our opponent has bigs that are slow. Guards that are not automatic from outside. Baylors game has been for the most part to get the ball to Brown and Cox. They dont shoot many treys. UConn must stay our of foul trouble. I expect alot of UConn running I also expect some rust for both teams. Baylor just played an almost exhibition game against a team that didnt do much. IMO not good other then to get some practice in against a lesser opponent. UConn is the real deal and although not invincible as in the past UConn is balanced on both sides of the ball which means Baylor will have to play defense and not leave anybody open. I dont think Baylor can score 70 pts against a healthy UConn team and I dont think Baylor can keep UConn from scoring 70 pts. UConn wins this one by double digits barring injuries and crazy foul trouble.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I sorta swerved from the original post of this thread, so here's my attempt to reply to it.
I agree that maybe we should be worried about the effects of the Christmas break on the team especially based upon the OU game and to some degree the Cal game. But I don't think that the upperclassmen are going to let that happen again and are going to approach this game just as they approached the ND game - facing a supposed bigger team on their home court.
So, if we play with that mindset and we get another great game from CW or maybe a breakout game from MW, and the other 3 starters play their usual games, then hopefully we have another ND type game and then look towards Louisville and UCF.

Reaction Score
IMHO I think UCONN got the "rusty game" out of their systems vs OU!
Katie Lou, Pheesa and Crystal Dangerfield along with the coaching staff will be working to make sure all are prepared after the Xmas break!
You should remember, Geno will have some sort of defensive scheme ready for both Brown and Cox!
UCONN's 5 starters can make 3's so how does Baylor contest that?
I also don't think Kim can come up with a unique use of Brown and Cox to off-set UCONN's speed!
With all the above being said if the refs decide to go insane, vs the visitors, all bets are off!
UCONN 72 - Baylor 59!

Reaction Score
I worry about Baylor's Smith. If she and ONO end up on the floor at the same time, Smith will eat her lunch. I predict smith will be a top W draft pick in the years to come.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
With all the above being said if the refs decide to go insane, vs the visitors, all bets are off!
UCONN 72 - Baylor 59!
I am dreading the idea of seeing Dee Kantner on the court but seeing how this is an ESPN prime time game telecast, I am guessing that she will be present and making sure she gets her tv time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she plays over 9 minutes, unless she learned how to play defense over the Xmas break, she will be in deep foul trouble.
IDK. I would gladly take her ND numbers in this Baylor game. 16 Minutes, 5 rebounds 5 points, ONE impactful momentum swinging block. Keep in mind that she also gives our guards a break also because she is the only reliable sub. UCONN is going to need her in this game. Quick foul trouble would be bad for ONO and UCONN but not fatal.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I will happily take out speed against their size. The wild card to me is potential foul trouble.

Brown and Cox will have to guard smaller, quicker, skilled players in space and match their speed in transition. The match-up difficulties go both ways. The pace of the game will be important.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I worry about Baylor's Smith. If she and ONO end up on the floor at the same time, Smith will eat her lunch. I predict smith will be a top W draft pick in the years to come.
Smith has never faced a UConn team. She may become completely frustrated by the UConn defense even when Ono is in the game. It would be nice if this would be Ono's breakout game.

Reaction Score
I agree with the majority of posters: it’s UConn that spells trouble for Baylor. There’s no way Kalani Brown will be an effective defender this game, and she’ll likely be in foul trouble most of the game. Lauren Cox will have to have a big game, as will their outside shooting. If Baylor can slow the game way down and UConn has a bad shooting night from three, then that’s where Baylor can win. Baylor does have an advantage on the interior (offensively and defensively) but UConn has the quickness and shooting advantage. Advantage UConn.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
IDK. I would gladly take her ND numbers in this Baylor game. 16 Minutes, 5 rebounds 5 points, ONE impactful momentum swinging block. Keep in mind that she also gives our guards a break also because she is the only reliable sub. UCONN is going to need her in this game. Quick foul trouble would be bad for ONO and UCONN but not fatal.
I agree with you about the ND game and would certainly enjoy it if she plays like that in every upcoming game but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom