Baylor-Tennessee game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Baylor-Tennessee game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually the rule in the men's game is the same as the women's game. If there is a "fight" and the players leave the bench, then they are ejected and suspended.

I'm guessing the officials ruled that there wasn't a fight, thus the Baylor players leaving the bench were just ejected.

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA Rules Interpreter says about it because I'm sure they'll have the final word, not these three officials.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
What makes no sense here is that there WAS a fight, and the players DID get involved.. not by fighting, but they were involved none the less

The Baylor players who left the bench were clearly peace-keepers, not antagonists.

Thus was particularly obvious with Griner -- who learned her lesson about throwing punches two years ago.

I think the refs used good judgment.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The head official in Des Moines said there would be no suspensions, only the ejection for the game. Baylor got lucky on that one. Griner and others should never left the bench area.

Reaction Score
I'm just glad the game is over so I dont have to see Mulkey whining the entire game.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Actually the rule in the men's game is the same as the women's game. If there is a "fight" and the players leave the bench, then they are ejected and suspended.

I'm guessing the officials ruled that there wasn't a fight, thus the Baylor players leaving the bench were just ejected.

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA Rules Interpreter says about it because I'm sure they'll have the final word, not these three officials.

Do you have a citation that contradicts the ruling or are you assuming you know the rules?

Reaction Score
The Baylor players who left the bench were clearly peace-keepers, not antagonists.

Thus was particularly obvious with Griner -- who learned her lesson about throwing punches two years ago.

I think the refs used good judgment.

Art. 8. Bench personnel leaving the bench area when a fight may break out or has broken out. The head coach may leave the bench area in this case to prevent the situation from escalating.
PENALTY:
(Art. 8) Flagrant 2 technical fouls. Two free throws shall be awarded to any player on the offended team, unless double fouls are assessed. For double flagrant fouls, no free throws are awarded. For any flagrant 2 technical foul, the ball shall be awarded to the offended team at the point of interruption.
When anyone other than the head coach leaves the bench and enters the playing court but does not participate in the fight, only one technical foul shall be assessed regardless of the number of offenders. This one foul is charged indirectly to the head coach. For any single flagrant 2 technical foul, the ball shall be awarded to the offended team at the point of interruption. When a single flagrant 2 technical foul occurs during intermission for the second or extra period, play shall resume with a throw-in to the offended team on either side of midcourt. This flagrant 2 technical foul applies toward the team-foul total, and the offender(s) shall be ejected but not subjected to suspension.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How can anyone claim to know the rule about suspensions when they have no idea what the rule is? Lobo didn't know the rule and tweeted. I hope ESPN suspends HER for shoddy reporting.

A bunch of wishful thinking by fans who don't want to have to face Griner in the Final Four.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How can anyone claim to know the rule about suspensions when they have no idea what the rule is? Lobo didn't know the rule and tweeted. I hope ESPN suspends HER for shoddy reporting.

A bunch of wishful thinking by fans who don't want to have to see Griner in the Final Four.

2-3 deep breaths.... ice on the back of the neck or an icey cold coke under the arm pit EastTexas:)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Art. 8. Bench personnel leaving the bench area when a fight may break out or has broken out. The head coach may leave the bench area in this case to prevent the situation from escalating.
PENALTY:
(Art. 8) Flagrant 2 technical fouls. Two free throws shall be awarded to any player on the offended team, unless double fouls are assessed. For double flagrant fouls, no free throws are awarded. For any flagrant 2 technical foul, the ball shall be awarded to the offended team at the point of interruption.
When anyone other than the head coach leaves the bench and enters the playing court but does not participate in the fight, only one technical foul shall be assessed regardless of the number of offenders. This one foul is charged indirectly to the head coach. For any single flagrant 2 technical foul, the ball shall be awarded to the offended team at the point of interruption. When a single flagrant 2 technical foul occurs during intermission for the second or extra period, play shall resume with a throw-in to the offended team on either side of midcourt. This flagrant 2 technical foul applies toward the team-foul total, and the offender(s) shall be ejected but not subjected to suspension.

Thanks for posting. Good to know someone actually took the time to look up the rule instead of just blurting out what they "think" the rule is.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO you are beginning to overstay your welcome. We don't need your constant praise of Baylor on this board. Now you start to say things about Rebecca who is an ICON to the UConn Women's Basketball program. Let's say that Baylor players almost cost themselves a championship by the stupid actions of three players who left the bench area, regardless of what they were attempting to do. If Stricklen wasn't held back, the incident could have easily gotten much worse.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
2-3 deep breaths.... ice on the back of the neck or an icey cold coke under the arm pit EastTexas:)

LOL. I just couldn't believe how quickly so many wanted to think that Griner was going to be suspended.

Reaction Score

A bunch of wishful thinking by fans who don't want to have to face Griner in the Final Four.

Chill out.

First of all, tweeting is NOT reporting.

Second, she said it because she believed it was true. As soon as she realized her mistake -- less than 5 minutes later -- she corrected herself.

Reaction Score
If shoving and nasty words exchanged is not fighting, I need to inform my mother she wrongfully punished my sister and I for "fighting" for all those years of our youth.

Does the NCAA rule book define "fighting"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom