Baylor (3) @ Stanford (11) - 12/15/18 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Baylor (3) @ Stanford (11) - 12/15/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
The problem, as athletic as next years team for Baylor will be, outside of Smith at forward, this team can't shoot. Depending on second chances for your offense through rebouding doesn't work as you advance up the Championship food chain. Now next year yeah, Morris and Jackson give you something from the outside, but time and again athleic teams have shown that without a solid, adaptable offensive scheme they fail at The Dance; dump it into the big fella isn't a viable scheme. The last ten years or more has proven that motion offenses are the most flexible and adaptable schemes, and they are the ones that win.

Another problem with Baylor, every year, is that Mulkey typically has a light OOC schedule. When the tourney rolls around her teams are ill prepared for close, tough games back to back, and/or on the road. Any surprise that this year again Mulkey's team has had issues on the road agaainst good teams?

Look at Dawn laying the ground work for SCar's next ten years. As I watched Texas fail again against UT while using a double post I just threw up my hands. All that talent and they're still using this horse and buggy offense. Sure , a motion offense takes a lot of learning first for the coach, then for the team. But the rewards are well worth it. One annoincer recently said, again, why don't more teams copy UConn's model for success? Because it's hard. It takes time, and AD's, fans and boosters want wins now
My point is that next year dump it down to the big man won't be the strategy. The lineup we will roll with won't be that kind of team. For the first time in my memory we will be able to roll with a team where everyone is an outside threat to some degree. Cox is much more capable than what we saw today. Morris and Landrum are both capable of shooting 40% or more from distance. Nalyssa Smith has shown an ability to knock them down so far. Decosta hit a 3 today, but she's only played about 15 minutes total this year so we don't know exactly what she brings yet. Even Moon Ursin made significant strides in shooting this year.

I don't know if Kim will choose to use them that way, but the material is there. As for scheduling, we have a very tough schedule this year and I believe we have some games lined up for next year to keep that going. A road win over Arizona State and a blowout at South Carolina do count too. Didn't show up well today but this team is capable of winning on the road.

Reaction Score
How did Baylor end up with no point guards on it's roster? Feels like 2 years ago they had 3 incoming freshman all Americans at point.
Well Morris departure was unexpected and sounds like she will be back.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
LSU had the game of their lives and FSU was ice cold for half the game. LSU is not a good team. Disgusting that our AD decided to extend our HC.

We gonna get slaughtered in SEC play despite the conference being weak

Sorry for my ramble, feels good to get it out lol
I am curious to hear your take as Fargas has not really done well by the former status of the program. She has however cleaned up the mess the former coach left. She came in with much fanfare from UCLA and is paid very well at $700K per year with postseason bonus money to bring the total package close to $1Mil. She is 59-53 in the SEC and a pedestrian 132-93 overall. What is it with these underperforming Tenn players that the AD's want to keep them?

The article on her extension talks about the flexibility to buy her out at $200k per year left (3 years so 600K if they fire her in March). I also don't get it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I liked it better when we seemed to have a healthy 'fear/respect' of Baylor (just like ND). Now, we (the BY in general) may have swung the other way to overconfidence. :oops:

Reaction Score
I liked it better when we seemed to have a healthy 'fear/respect' of Baylor (just like ND). Now, we (the BY in general) may have swung the other way to overconfidence. :oops:
Well today’s game prolly didn’t do much to cure that :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Baylor showing some fight this half but its hard to overcome a 17 point deficit.

On a positive, Smith will be a force for Baylor over the next 4 years.
I believe that Geno recruited NaLyssa for a while at least.

Reaction Score
I am curious to hear your take as Fargas has not really done well by the former status of the program. She has however cleaned up the mess the former coach left. She came in with much fanfare from UCLA and is paid very well at $700K per year with postseason bonus money to bring the total package close to $1Mil. She is 59-53 in the SEC and a pedestrian 132-93 overall. What is it with these underperforming Tenn players that the AD's want to keep them?

The article on her extension talks about the flexibility to buy her out at $200k per year left (3 years so 600K if they fire her in March). I also don't get it.

After the Pokey era scandal, LSU moved onto Van Chancellor

Van just wasn't a college coach. He recruited good players (Nationally ranked kids) but could never make it work. Nikki was considered an up and coming coach due to her short stint at UCLA. She improved UCLA for sure. Although a much closer look at it now, she had some significant recruiting issues at UCLA as well, and she left before the recruiting truly hit them hard.

At LSU her main success has been early on her first three seasons with the last coaches players, since then she has not accomplished anything with her own kids. She continuously gets knocked out the first round in the NCAAT every year. She recruits combo guards who can't shoot for defensive purposes.

We had some unfortunate luck with injuries but her practices are awful and so physical that kids get hurt too often. So I do blame them partially. LSU recruits kids and they either are getting suspended, injured or they transfer. Its been very routine for this program. Nikki unfortunately just isn't likable by anyone now. She was at first when she came to LSU but she has a big ego. Not sure if she has it just because she comes from the Pat Summitt bloodline but its been very bad. She has also alienated the boosters and fans on top of it. The attendance is awful, although its expected when the product on the floor is bad.

She is the definition of mediocre. She isn't losing seasons bad but she isn't doing what LSU paid her to do.

Oh and to demonstrate how incompetent she is. She didn't turn in the starting lineup today in time so Rutgers was shooting free throws before the tip off lol

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Baylor's only losses both last season and this season have been to Pac-12 teams:
  • lost today to Stanford
  • lost in Sweet 16 to Oregon State
  • lost in November 2017 to UCLA
Baylor last loss to a non-Pac-12 team was in OT to Mississippi State in the Elite 8 of the 2017 NCAAT.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Double check that as Sabrina just turned 21 and I think you have to be 22 for the draft....
She turns 22 in the calendar year of the draft. That’s the key. She is eligible to go.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Baylor's only losses both last season and this season have been to Pac-12 teams:
  • lost today to Stanford
  • lost in Sweet 16 to Oregon State
  • lost in November 2017 to UCLA
Baylor last loss to a non-Pac-12 team was in OT to Mississippi State in the Elite 8 of the 2017 NCAAT.
Baylor plays in a week conference and they mostly play cupcakes during their OOC schedule. This season the Lady Bears struggled with both Arizona St and SD St. They have 2 talented BIGs who struggle to play together and no guards to run the offense. Any time they play a team that spreads the floor on offense and packs in on D, the Lady Bears are in for a challenge.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think this is the third year in a row OSU has been the host school for a 4 team tournament there. I think it's the same gym as the Maui Invitational, the big men's tourney. Hey, why not go to Hawaii in December?
I saw Oregon State v. Nevada in the tourney last year. It’s played in a small gym in Wailuku, not too far from the airport in Kahului.

The Maui Invitational for men is played at the Lahaina Civic Center in Lahaina, about 20-25 miles away. I think the capacity is 2,100. It’s a fair amount larger than where the women play.

The men’s tourney is a big deal. The women’s event is small at this point. I wonder if it will grow. There were dozens of Beaver fans last year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My point is that next year dump it down to the big man won't be the strategy. The lineup we will roll with won't be that kind of team. For the first time in my memory we will be able to roll with a team where everyone is an outside threat to some degree. Cox is much more capable than what we saw today. Morris and Landrum are both capable of shooting 40% or more from distance. Nalyssa Smith has shown an ability to knock them down so far. Decosta hit a 3 today, but she's only played about 15 minutes total this year so we don't know exactly what she brings yet. Even Moon Ursin made significant strides in shooting this year.

I don't know if Kim will choose to use them that way, but the material is there. As for scheduling, we have a very tough schedule this year and I believe we have some games lined up for next year to keep that going. A road win over Arizona State and a blowout at South Carolina do count too. Didn't show up well today but this team is capable of winning on the road.
And my argument is Smith, Morris and Jackson can shoot, Landrum is fair and the rest are brick layers. I've never been a fan of Mulkey's offensive scheme's. To me, since Mulkey doesn't and has never played an option offense, that means at best lot of high screen iso ball/pick and roll. When was the last time she's done that? Good luck. I'll go with Stanford by 10 at Waco if they play next year.

With DeCosta, one three does not a consistent shooter make. She was barely a fair shooter from mid range in HS which means in order to be fair in WCBB she has a lot of work to do. As for Cox, this is her junior year. I've said before and I'll say it again. Watching her just makes me sad. Her illness just doesn't allow her to blossom into the dominant player she should be. When I saw her in HS she had all the tools. Now it seems she's regressed. At this point unfortunately I think this is what she is. Nevertheless, I don't see her illness contributing too much to her typically missing loads of bunnies and short jumpers, which she has throughout her career. From my perch Baylor will be top 5 next year and, as they will this year, fail at the E8 level.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sabrina is old enough to come out if she wants. Will she have anything left to prove? (She ain’t winning an NC at Oregon)

I’d take Lou, but we’re talking about Bill Laimbeer here.
People are in love with the immobile bigs, Brown and McCowan; the triple-double machine Sabrina; Durr, who is basically a jump shooter; and Arike, who can shoot her team out of games. I admit to being a homer, but I think Lou is the best player in the draft. She’s an elite shooter with a full offensive repertoire, a good passer, a smart player, a capable rebounder, an improving defender, and a tough kid. Her twin, Napheesa, may be the second best player in the draft. Both have Geno’s coaching and a UConn pedigree. Tiffany Hayes was picked far too low. Kia Nurse was picked too low. If either Lou or Pheesa goes as low as 6 or 7, some GM deserves to be fired.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw Oregon State v. Nevada in the tourney last year. It’s played in a small gym in Wailuku, not too far from the airport in Kahului.

The Maui Invitational for men is played at the Lahaina Civic Center in Lahaina, about 20-25 miles away. I think the capacity is 2,100. It’s a fair amount larger than where the women play.

The men’s tourney is a big deal. The women’s event is small at this point. I wonder if it will grow. There were dozens of Beaver fans last year.

There were banners or murals in the gym that looked like a collage of men's players that have played at the Maui Invitational, that threw me off. Is it possible they moved the event to the bigger gym? Ah, just looked it up, they did change it to Lahaina Civic Center this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There were banners or murals in the gym that looked like a collage of men's players that have played at the Maui Invitational, that threw me off. Is it possible they moved the event to the bigger gym? Ah, just looked it up, they did change it to Lahaina Civic Center this year.
Damn! That would have saved me 45 minutes of driving in the dark each way! That’s good to know. I chose Cancun over Maui this week. Maybe next year! Thanks.

Reaction Score
I caught the Baylor presser on FB. Kim was very gracious and personable throughout. She absolutely gave credit to Stanford and called them an elite team. Kim was disappointed in a couple of her players and the team's energy level.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I caught the Baylor presser on FB. Kim was very gracious and personable throughout. She absolutely gave credit to Stanford and called them an elite team. Kim was disappointed in a couple of her players and the team's energy level.
I'll say that Kim is always a gracious southern lady. She's made some personal mistakes defending administration and not coming down hard enough when women were being abused across campus. To me she said some things that should never have left her mouth. Nevertheless, I'll repeat. I'd sit in a foxhole with this woman anytime, anywhere. She's gutsy, hard nosed, and will always have your back. I may not be a fan of her coach prowess and some of her on court decisions, but I'm a fan of the woman. Ain't a thing phony about her.

Reaction Score
Stanford's bigs and can shoot the three. Coffee always has big games vs Baylor. Last December she had a career high of 14 points. Today, she hit 3 threes, along with Smith who had 2 threes.

Reaction Score
Was there a fight at the Rutgers/LSU game?

Nikki Fargas is a very good X's and O's coach but she's terrible at everything that needs to be done to run a college team. She should be in the WNBA where she would probably have a very nice career.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe that Geno recruited NaLyssa for a while at least.
He did. I' m not sure what happened but Geno at least had an in home visit with her. There were also some very heavy social media post which wrongly suggested that Geno was not going to let her play her game. It was reported here that she like some (many ?) of those post.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
When was the last time Kalani Brown was held to 5 points?

I gotta say, her play thus far this year has been lackluster at best.
A lot of pro scouts there had to see Brown is still in less than optimum physical condition, has mediocre activity level, has problems against double teams, doesn't use her girth effectively in close and rarely shoots from beyond 6 feet. Last year she was dominated in the post by Gulich. Remember, she was the one Geno gave the watch challenge to. Honestly, regardless of the competition she should be getting double figure rebounds even when she's not scoring, every game. She doesn't. What does that tell you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom