Baylor (3) @ Stanford (11) - 12/15/18 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Baylor (3) @ Stanford (11) - 12/15/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I know this is just one game, but do you think GMs are seriously considering Kalani Brown a number one pick. Will her speed be a liability? You can’t teach 6’7” but I have a hard time seeing her make more of an impact than our two seniors.

Reaction Score
How did Baylor end up with no point guards on it's roster? Feels like 2 years ago they had 3 incoming freshman all Americans at point.

Reaction Score
I know this is just one game, but do you think GMs are seriously considering Kalani Brown a number one pick.

I've felt McCowan would be #1 for a couple years now, and I haven't seen enough from Brown to change my mind.

Reaction Score
Well, so much for unbeaten Baylor, and so much for having so much height. Too many people look at height and don't consider quickness, effort, and coaching.
Stanford has height as well. Stanford BIGs are more agile, and better shooters.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A few points here:
Size is always chosen first-you can't teach size regardless of the other talent; the NBA is littered with terrible big men chosen 1st...the most notorious is 1984-Olajuwon and Bowie taken over Jordan; Andrew Bogut over Chris Paul in 2005.

This game featured 12 McDonald's AA's 7 for Baylor and 5 for Stanford with a mind boggling 8 top 20 ranked HG's for Baylor and 4 for Stanford. Both coaches need to up their offensive schemes, IMO...more so Baylor as Stanford's talent is in the Sophomore and Freshman classes (and incoming 2019-20 class!).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Laimbeer shared the staring Post position on the Aces between Swords ( 12 Gms), Bone ( 10 Gms) and Park (11 Gms) . If he's looking for a Dominant low post player that can rebound and score he might choose Brown or McCowan of Miss St. Dominant post play has been a staple of Laimbeer teams, but is the WNBA going away from Dominant post play like the NBA has? Hard to pass up a player like Durr or Ionescu if she declares.

I've felt McCowan would be #1 for a couple years now, and I haven't seen enough from Brown to change my mind.

Reaction Score
A few points here:
Size is always chosen first-you can't teach size regardless of the other talent; the NBA is littered with terrible big men chosen 1st...the most notorious is 1984-Olajuwon and Bowie taken over Jordan; Andrew Bogut over Chris Paul in 2005.

This game featured 12 McDonald's AA's 7 for Baylor and 5 for Stanford with a mind boggling 8 top 20 ranked HG's for Baylor and 4 for Stanford. Both coaches need to up their offensive schemes, IMO...more so Baylor as Stanford's talent is in the Sophomore and Freshman classes (and incoming 2019-20 class!).
I wholly agree about changing offensive schemes for Baylor. Its okay to utilize your advantage in the paint, but they have to develop more of a perimeter game to complement it. Juicy Landrum is an outstanding shooter, but it seems like her only 3 point attempts come on long rebounds or broken plays. If we would just run a few plays to get her open a knock it down early, we could really open up the defense. It worked early against South Carolina, and we pretty much had our way offensively the rest of the game. Baylor fans are tired of trying to force the ball into triple teams on the block and turning the ball over.

Theoretically, next years team should be better suited for that style of play, especially if Alexis Morris indeed returns from suspension. She is a true PG and a better outside threat than Chloe Jackson. Nalyssa Smith will certainly step into the lineup for Brown, and perhaps Aquira Decosta will start too. That is a much more athletic lineup more capable of playing out to the arc on both offense and defense. I still have hope for this season, since this was clearly not our best game and still managed to make it close in the end, but the potential is high going forward. A change in philosophy is definitely needed though.

Reaction Score
Laimbeer shared the staring Post position on the Aces between Swords ( 12 Gms), Bone ( 10 Gms) and Park (11 Gms) . If he's looking for a Dominant low post player that can rebound and score he might choose Brown or McCowan of Miss St. Dominant post play has been a staple of Laimbeer teams, but is the WNBA going away from Dominant post play like the NBA has? Hard to pass up a player like Durr or Ionescu if she declares.
Height will win out again. How may times is Trader Bill gonna have a chance to get an aircraft carrier like Brown or McGowan? He’s slobbering all over himself already.

If the right team wants Ionescu or Durr really badly I can even see him trading down to 2 and taking McGowan there.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Nice win for the Card. If Tara has more than a week to prepare her team, watch out. But if you think Durr and Hyponescu is a fit for Laimbeer who likes a little D from his players, being facetious, both those will not be it as neither can play any D let alone understand help D concepts. But we will see who the dumb GMs. Plum who struggled was actually more athletic and had a better offensive game than Hyponescu, sure no D but more athletic.

Plus Bill wants to win now Brown and McCowan will be projects.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Olajuwon was an all time great, so that's not so egregious. But yeah, Bowie might've been the worst draft pick ever. But the Blazers eventually made up for by drafting Oden (another physically busted up big man, just like Bowie) ahead of Durant...:(

edited--until Durant fell into their laps, the Sonics wasted their top draft pick 3 consecutive years on Robert Swift, Johan Petro and Mouhamed Sene. They had a penchant for 7 footers that couldn't play a lick of hoops.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Height will win out again. How may times is Trader Bill gonna have a chance to get an aircraft carrier like Brown or McGowan? He’s slobbering all over himself already.

If the right team wants Ionescu or Durr really badly I can even see him trading down to 2 and taking McGowan there.
Sabrina is a Junior....what about our girl Katie Lou?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
LSU and Rutgers are in a battle of who sucks more contest right now

Wish LSU would fire Nikki
LSU trails Rutgers 50-43 with about 1:00 to play.

How did LSU ever beat Florida State?

Reaction Score
Sabrina is old enough to come out if she wants. Will she have anything left to prove? (She ain’t winning an NC at Oregon)

I’d take Lou, but we’re talking about Bill Laimbeer here.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I wholly agree about changing offensive schemes for Baylor. Its okay to utilize your advantage in the paint, but they have to develop more of a perimeter game to complement it. Juicy Landrum is an outstanding shooter, but it seems like her only 3 point attempts come on long rebounds or broken plays. If we would just run a few plays to get her open a knock it down early, we could really open up the defense. It worked early against South Carolina, and we pretty much had our way offensively the rest of the game. Baylor fans are tired of trying to force the ball into triple teams on the block and turning the ball over.

Theoretically, next years team should be better suited for that style of play, especially if Alexis Morris indeed returns from suspension. She is a true PG and a better outside threat than Chloe Jackson. Nalyssa Smith will certainly step into the lineup for Brown, and perhaps Aquira Decosta will start too. That is a much more athletic lineup more capable of playing out to the arc on both offense and defense. I still have hope for this season, since this was clearly not our best game and still managed to make it close in the end, but the potential is high going forward. A change in philosophy is definitely needed though.
The problem, as athletic as next years team for Baylor will be, outside of Smith at forward, this team can't shoot. Depending on second chances for your offense through rebouding doesn't work as you advance up the Championship food chain. Now next year yeah, Morris and Jackson give you something from the outside, but time and again athleic teams have shown that without a solid, adaptable offensive scheme they fail at The Dance; dump it into the big fella isn't a viable scheme. The last ten years or more has proven that motion offenses are the most flexible and adaptable schemes, and they are the ones that win.

Another problem with Baylor, every year, is that Mulkey typically has a light OOC schedule. When the tourney rolls around her teams are ill prepared for close, tough games back to back, and/or on the road. Any surprise that this year again Mulkey's team has had issues on the road agaainst good teams?

Look at Dawn laying the ground work for SCar's next ten years. As I watched Texas fail again against UT while using a double post I just threw up my hands. All that talent and they're still using this horse and buggy offense. Sure , a motion offense takes a lot of learning first for the coach, then for the team. But the rewards are well worth it. One annoincer recently said, again, why don't more teams copy UConn's model for success? Because it's hard. It takes time, and AD's, fans and boosters want wins now

Reaction Score
LSU trails Rutgers 50-43 with about 1:00 to play.

How did LSU ever beat Florida State?

LSU had the game of their lives and FSU was ice cold for half the game. LSU is not a good team. Disgusting that our AD decided to extend our HC.

We gonna get slaughtered in SEC play despite the conference being weak

Sorry for my ramble, feels good to get it out lol

Plebe

Reaction Score
LSU had the game of their lives and FSU was ice cold for half the game. LSU is not a good team. Disgusting that our AD decided to extend our HC.

We gonna get slaughtered in SEC play despite the conference being weak
When did she get the extension?

The SEC just seems so down this year: Alabama, Ole Miss, Vandy and Florida are hot humid messes. Missouri and South Carolina have been disappointing so far. Geezus, Arkansas might even finish about .500 this year.

Oh I forgot Georgia: add them to the "disappointing" list along with Mizzou and SC. Texas A&M is also down from last year.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Fun stat: According to the announcer at the close of the game, the Big Ten is 7-1 this year vs. the SEC, with only a one-point loss by Wisconsin at Arkansas. Yeesh.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Sabrina is old enough to come out if she wants. Will she have anything left to prove? (She ain’t winning an NC at Oregon)

I’d take Lou, but we’re talking about Bill Laimbeer here.
Double check that as Sabrina just turned 21 and I think you have to be 22 for the draft....

Reaction Score
When did she get the extension?

The SEC just seems so down this year: Alabama, Ole Miss, Vandy and Florida are hot humid messes. Missouri and South Carolina have been disappointing so far. Geezus, Arkansas might even finish about .500 this year.

Oh I forgot Georgia: add them to the "disappointing" list along with Mizzou and SC. Texas A&M is also down from last year.

LSU extended her this fall for 3 years. They kept delaying the extension because LSU people were all up in arms over it.

She continuously runs off players and pisses off the boosters. Her recruiting is erratic as well. LSU deserves better.

I also enjoy listening to Gens's comments a couple years ago about the state of the LSU program when they came to BR and destroyed us. "Its not even the same program, theres no comparison"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom