Baylor (3) @ Stanford (11) - 12/15/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I didn't recognize Appel.

Some of those highlights from Dodson, you'd think she's a dominant player. She's got all the physical tools. I keep waiting for her to become as productive as I think she should be. Not yet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't recognize Appel.

Some of those highlights from Dodson, you'd think she's a dominant player. She's got all the physical tools. I keep waiting for her to become as productive as I think she should be. Not yet.
Jayne went on Weight Watchers with her mom when she was a freshman/sophomore at Stanford. She got more fit and became an All-American player. Her last year or two in the WNBA, she was substantially heavier, to the point that I didn't recognize her at first. I think she has a genetic pre-disposition to a big body. I hope she can stay healthy.

Reaction Score
How can Baylor lose to Stanford? Tara is a fantastic coach, but there's more to it than that. Kim is less than the best. With all the talent she's had she's won only two NCs. Yes, it's more than many other coaches. Those other coaches didn't have 6'8" Britney Griner and Odyssey Sims.
I am in the same boat as you. Tara is a great coach. I have never been impressed with Kim. Tara can put together game plans that can beat many opponents. Kim is a one-trick pony, that can't adjust midgame.

Reaction Score
I am in the same boat as you. Tara is a great coach. I have never been impressed with Kim. Tara can put together game plans that can beat many opponents. Kim is a one-trick pony, that can't adjust midgame.

I don't think Kim is a bad coach but her style of play on the offensive end and playing with two "Bigs" who want to live in the paint is a matchup problem vs athletic teams who can really shoot (Stanford). Defensively its hard for those bigs to get out on the perimeter to defend. No offense to cox and brown, they just aren't the quickest kids.

The offense heavily relies on lobbing it up to Brown/Cox in the paint and just use their size to try to score at will. I believe Baylor should do that with their weapons but it shouldn't be their only means to score and work on offense. Not a lot of motion offense or using screens and pick and rolls. Its a bit stagnant, its hard to get shooters in rhythm as well. They did run some screens and other play action. in the 2nd half with some success, they clawed their way back but a 17 point deficit with your star player giving you nothing is almost impossible to overcome.

The lack of a true PG that commands the court doesn't help either. Jackson is a great player in her own right but Morris was a big blow due to her ability to organize/distribute on offense much better. Also Morris provides a threat from 3, which Jackson doesn't really shoot any.

Baylor is gonna steam roll through the Big 12 but the problems Baylor saw vs Stanford could come back to haunt them in the NCAAT without some proper adjustments. Baylor will definitely be different losing Brown next year and having Smith instead. I think Kim needs to adjust her style of play on the offensive end. They have extremely talented/gifted kids.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Thanks. But I'm pretty much a prime example of the adage, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

I was at a performance Thursday of my favorite singer Cecile McLorin Salvant at the Jazz Standard and I spoke to her at the bar afterwards. Yeah, jazz musicians are accessible and personable. She asked if I were a musician and I said, "No. But I've tried over the course of my life to become the best listener I can be". It's been the same with BB. I don't play, but I've tried to become the best watcher I can be. My secret is I cheat. I watch some games 4, 5, or 6 times. The ND game maybe 10 times this year. I slo-mo through sets, defensive series, watching body language, breaking down plays etc. I also try to lip read. And yeah, what Geno said was a continuation of the stuff he'd been saying to the ref all game and Arike heard maybe the 5th iteration of it. And yeah, when I say Christyn is a great offensive player, but gave up as many opportunities on defense as points she scored, it's true. She has work to do.

When Coco says Mulkey tried some flex action, tried is the key word. Running the flex is a continuity type offense and isn't as complicated as a Princeton style offense where you're taught the many offensive options off of every position. The flex has your 2 best ball handlers on the perimeter and you set the 3 others pretty much in a line with one under the hoop. The 3 must move and change positions in order to open the lane for cutters. In essence, widening the lane. It also depends on the 3 to set precise and timely screens. It takes practice, precision and commitment, and the 2 up top had better be good outside shooters as well as good ball handlers. If it's done slipshod it means your charges haven't practiced this formation very much. Mulkey decided on this as a resort option once her bigs proved so ineffective against Geno's sagging defense. Also Davis was and remains not a very good shooter. Mulkey lucked out with Smith who seems to be the best shooting forward she's had in 10 years. Something Cox should have been. I still hold out hope for her. The rest of her forwards are brick layers beyond 6-8 feet. Mulkey has some decisions to make next year.
Have to admit, when you wrote "flex" I thought of Tom Landry.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Maybe these face guards should be part of the normal uniform. (with Sue Bird getting some royalties of course)

On a semi serious note, I wonder if the defense plays a little less aggressively when an opposing player has a face guard?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
She hasn't been the same player this year, not sure why. Cox isn't playing to her potential as well, I'm sure her illness is having an impact. Its not easy I'm sure.

I think Mulkey moving forward needs to find an offense than is not just lob it up to the bigs. Not that you shouldn't ever do it but its literally the same thing every time down the floor. The offense isn't moving, kids aren't cutting or screening. Baylor has some great players, the freshmen in particular offer a lot. The bigs are very athletic as well. They need to start using the ball screens more. The offense is predictable and isn't a recipe to work consistently vs top teams. Not that Baylor is a bad team, they are very good but have some significant flaws that need to be addressed.

Losing Morris was a major blow. She was a true PG, she shoots the 3 ball and commanded the offense much better.

Maybe this game can be a wake up call but some of the same issues we saw today are the same ones that have plagued Baylor in the post season over the years, and it still hasn't been addressed.

Cox was sick for this game.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I notice a pattern. She missed last year's UCLA trip as well.

Seems as though the heavy work load during the first half of the season does play a part in her health. For the most part, she and the team doctors do a good job at keeping her healthy during the season, however, seems she may need a break during this time of the year. It can't be easy on her and I give her all the credit in the world for the way she pushes through her disease. She is an extraordinary focused girl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom