Basketball Hall of Famer Ray Allen was involved in a bicycle crash that left him with multiple injuries. | The Boneyard

Basketball Hall of Famer Ray Allen was involved in a bicycle crash that left him with multiple injuries.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Attention Pro and Former Pro Basketball Players: BUY A PELOTON! You can afford it.
Attention drivers: Give cyclists space. It's their road, too.

ADD: I just read how a Jets coach is seriously hurt from a "bike crash". And like most of these incidents, the bike didn't crash; the rider was struck by a motorist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

ADD: I just read how a Jets coach is serious hurt from a "bike crash". And like most of these incidents, the bike didn't crash; the rider was struck by a motorist.
A motorist huh ok. My first thought was maybe Sal tripped him. :oops:

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Attention Pro and Former Pro Basketball Players: BUY A PELOTON! You can afford it.

There's an inherent risk in everything. I cycle around a major US city 4-5 times a week for an hour or two and I would never trade the fresh air and scenery for a Peloton, regardless of cost. I do agree with Ray though, bikers can do a number of things to reduce their risk of injury -- namely... wearing helmets and bright clothing, utilizing lights at night, being aware of their surroundings (I see far too many people with earbuds/headphones on), prioritizing bike-friendly roads, and biking defensively by anticipating that cars will make irrational decisions. Oh yea, and making yourself big (whether it's through your voice or taking up an entire lane when the situation calls for it). I see too many people biking tentatively and trying to make space for cars when the lane isn't wide enough to support a biker and a car.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

ADD: I just read how a Jets coach is serious hurt from a "bike crash". And like most of these incidents, the bike didn't crash; the rider was struck by a motorist.

I always give cyclists space, swerving into the other lane if it's clear. How about cyclists staying close to the edge AND stopping at stop signs and red lights? This isn't all on the motorists.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
It drives me ape___. I've gotta sit behind you going 20 mph because you're pretending to be a car but as soon as the light turns red you're a bike again and do whatever the ___ you want.

I usually like your takes on things but give it a rest here. I love cycling but won’t do it on the road because of bad drivers. It totally works both ways.

Reaction Score
I always give cyclists space, swerving into the other lane if it's clear. How about cyclists staying close to the edge AND stopping at stop signs and red lights? This isn't all on the motorists.
Couldn’t agree MORE. Most believe they own the road. They do not.

Reaction Score
It drives me ape___. I've gotta sit behind you going 20 mph because you're pretending to be a car but as soon as the light turns red you're a bike again and do whatever the ___ you want.
We keep losing more of the road out here to cyclists and most of them don't seem to have any clue what they're doing and don't obey traffic laws. They seem to not recognize they're on a bike and it's not going to work out well for them when they're hit by 4,000-5,000 lbs. of steel.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Re: Ray Allen's accident & injury-- Glad he wore a helmet, but . . . a mirror on his bike would have avoided his injuries entirely. Any biker, especially anyone who bikes on streets/roads must use a mirror to be able to see cars and other bikes approaching from the rear without taking eyes off what's ahead. I use my mirror even when I'm on bike and ped trails. As a trustee of the Eastern Trail in Maine, I preach the gospel of mirrors, especially to younger and beginning riders.
Also, some bicyclists are careless on roads, but years of sharing roads with motorists tells me that the latter are far more impatient and dangerous. Hey, how many motorists are maimed or die from careless bicyclists?

Reaction Score
Re: Ray Allen's accident & injury-- Glad he wore a helmet, but . . . a mirror on his bike would have avoided his injuries entirely. Any biker, especially anyone who bikes on streets/roads must use a mirror to be able to see cars and other bikes approaching from the rear without taking eyes off what's ahead. I use my mirror even when I'm on bike and ped trails. As a trustee of the Eastern Trail in Maine, I preach the gospel of mirrors, especially to younger and beginning riders.
Also, some bicyclists are careless on roads, but years of sharing roads with motorists tells me that the latter are far more impatient and dangerous. Hey, how many motorists are maimed or die from careless bicyclists?
That’s not much of an argument.....there are also many more squirrels maimed in automobile/squirrel accidents than motorists. How bout respecting the fact that the car lane is 12 feet wide and the bike lane is 2 feet wide for a reason.

Reaction Score
I usually like your takes on things but give it a rest here. I love cycling but won’t do it on the road because of bad drivers. It totally works both ways.

If it works both ways why do I have to give it a rest? This is a thread about bicycling. In the thread about drivers I’ll post my complaints about drivers.

Reaction Score
Bicycling is an Easy way to get hurt. So many stories I know of, but the problem is you have to spend a lot of time and go far to get decent exercise while looking like a dork. Most of the time you are at same risk as motorcycles and those are death traps. JMO.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

That's interesting. Haven't heard this gospel before but it makes sense and I'll look into it.

The one thing I'd love to see adopted in America (though it'll never happen) is the dutch reach. Sounds like something you'd get in the red light district but it's actually a 50 year old technique where drivers and passengers alike use their far hand to open the car door. This motion has you reaching across your body for the handle, which forces you to swivel and look out for oncoming bikes and traffic.

And then there's the other problem of people getting to their car and opening up doors into the bike lane without looking. I'd estimate this happens north of 75% of the time.

Reaction Score
Man there are some tough takes on this topic. I agree road biking is dangerous as heck, but why are so many posters bashing cyclists? Waiting behind bikes going 20 mph … do you really spend enough time doing that to complain about it? Pretending to be a car? I’d suggest most cyclists just want to be safe and appreciate a little space on the road. Running red lights? I do that when the coast is clear, but I jay walk too when safe. Shouldn’t impact cars.

For the fellow who thinks you need a lot of time to get tired on a bike … not at all. Do some high intensity intervals for about five minutes, can really put yourself in the pain cave. I think most cyclist choose to be out there for a long time because they love the freedom, views, and fresh air.

Seems so odd. Folks barreling down the road in larger and larger vehicles, lots of speeding and texting, environment turning to , yet many here take the time to call out cyclists. I’m sure I’ve driven a couple hundred thousand miles in my life, and cyclists don’t even hit the radar for things that concern me while driving. Seeing cyclists is like seeing dogs running off leashes in the woods … pure joy. “Get on your bikes and ride!”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom