OT: - Baseball is screwed! | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
8 Marlins players and 2 coaches have tested positive for Covid. Hate to say it, but there is no way this season is going to be played. With the quarantine rules in effect, you can't travel and they don't have enough guys on the roster to take their place. According to reports they were waiting on the test results of their tests, but were around all of the guys on the team. Not good!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Its was absolutely asinine that they even tried to play.

Its asinine that other sports leagues think they can get away with it too,

Just like its asinine that southern states "opened" up when they had a 2 month heads up about Covid prevention from the ground zero northeast but now are spiking because of it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
8 Marlins players and 2 coaches have tested positive for Covid. Hate to say it, but there is no way this season is going to be played. With the quarantine rules in effect, you can't travel and they don't have enough guys on the roster to take their place. According to reports they were waiting on the test results of their tests, but were around all of the guys on the team. Not good!

They have a 30 man squad plus another 30 at their alternate training site. The Marlins are essentially a minor league franchise so swapping in players from their alternate site won't impact the team's output. Baseball specifically planned for this and knew this was a possibility.

Hate to say it, but the season is literally being played. Yankees are already 2-1. Red Sox are 1-2 (to the Orioles). I understand your agenda in rooting for a cancelled season.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but the season is literally being played. Yankees are already 2-1. Red Sox are 1-2 (to the Orioles). I understand your agenda in rooting for a cancelled season.

Well they did cancel the Marlins next game and the team has not left Philly.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Well they did cancel the Marlins next game and the team has not left Philly.

Good. Taking the proper precaution. Like I said, baseball knew this was a possibility when the season started. They have plans for it. Let's all take a moment to breath and let this sort itself out.

August_West

Reaction Score
Good. Taking the proper precaution. Like I said, baseball knew this was a possibility when the season started. They have plans for it. Let's all take a moment to breath and let this sort itself out.

Yeah . This won’t be the tip of the iceberg. We will go from 10 people on one team positive to zero very shortly. When April hits this will be gone.
Oh wait when it gets hot out it will be gone.

Reaction Score
I'm hopeful for the bubble leagues (NBA and NHL) and I think they will be able to finish their seasons, but I can't see how traveling leagues (MLB, NFL) will complete seasons until we have a vaccine.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yeah . This won’t be the tip of the iceberg.

It's certainly possible this is going to have a domino effect, but baseball has planned for this and knew this was a possibility. Rather than rooting for the virus to spread, I'm going to hold out hope that the protocols they developed with advisory from the medical community will keep the season afloat. The players and coaches who opted to play this season are fully aware of these protocols and the risks associated with playing this season.

But if you want to root for Covid to keep spreading among the people in MLB to "stick it to the dumb southern states", I guess that's your right.

August_West

Reaction Score
It's certainly possible this is going to have a domino effect, but baseball has planned for this and knew this was a possibility. Rather than rooting for the virus to spread, I'm going to hold out hope that the protocols they developed with advisory from the medical community will keep the season afloat. The players and coaches who opted to play this season are fully aware of these protocols and the risks associated with playing this season.

But if you want to root for Covid to keep spreading among the people in MLB to "stick it to the dumb southern states", I guess that's your right.

Im not rooting for the virus to spread. Im rooting for people to be smart in the face of it. I know thats too much to ask, but Im asking anyway.

How did those awesome protocols serve the marlins?

Reaction Score

You keep talking about how baseball planned for this, what exactly do you think the plan was? Because I can't imagine it was let 12 players on one team get infected. Or to have people get tested then go play 2 games against another team while waiting for the results to come back.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Im not rooting for the virus to spread. Im rooting for people to be smart in the face of it. I know thats too much to ask, but Im asking anyway.

How did those awesome protocols serve the marlins?

Good I'm also rooting for the same thing.

The jury is still out on that. Before we can jump to any conclusions we need to figure out where the players got virus (most likely). Was it in the general course of traveling to and from the hotel and ball park? Or were the players going out to bars and restaurants in Miami / Atlanta?

I will agree, that if it they players were following the protocols and picked it up inside the strict rules the MLB has laid out, the season should be reconsidered. But if the players broke those protocols, then we can't fault the system.

August_West

Reaction Score
You keep talking about how baseball planned for this, what exactly do you think the plan was? Because I can't imagine it was let 12 players on one team get infected. Or to have people get tested then go play 2 games against another team while waiting for the results to come back.

"Acceptable losses" AKA "Collateral Damage"

But hey! weve seen 3 baseball games!

August_West

Reaction Score
But if the players broke those protocols, then we can't fault the system.

Whelp if you dont allow for people not following protocol (and all it takes is one) , then its probably not a solid system in the face of the risks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whelp if you dont allow for people not following protocol (and all it takes is one) , then its probably not a solid system in the face of the risks.

See also, Lou Williams, NBA. Had to go home for a funeral and was let out of the bubble. Made the mando trip to script club on way back.

August_West

Reaction Score
For contact tracing it appears it happened either in Atlanta or Philly.

Yes, those are the relevant questions.

So travelling from hot zone florida to hot zone atlanta is baseball's solid planning to get in a season.

Reaction Score
Hasn't exactly been protocol during games, either. As much as I loved watching the Yankees again I cringed every time someone high-fived or hugged in the dugout. Not to mention Boone wasn't even wearing his mask correctly half the time. This was always going to be difficult seeing as we never (even tried) to get levels down to as low as Germany or other European countries before they brought back soccer.

Reaction Score
They have a 30 man squad plus another 30 at their alternate training site. The Marlins are essentially a minor league franchise so swapping in players from their alternate site won't impact the team's output. Baseball specifically planned for this and knew this was a possibility.

It probably is wishful thinking on my part considering how pitiful the Red Sox starting rotation is this year. It could be a "long" short season for the Sox. I'll just have to reminisce about the 4 series wins in the 2000s!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So travelling from hot zone florida to hot zone atlanta is baseball's solid planning to get in a season.

I never said I agreed with MLB's plan. My plan would have had all players test in their home town, start games in cooler areas for the spread and then have teams isolate in that town for a week before starting games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom