Badass award vs. DePaul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Badass award vs. DePaul

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The award goes to.......Crystal "Danger" Dangerfield. Crystal shot 6-7 on 3's, and had 18 points.

Honable mention:
Lou
Napheesa
Azura
Kia

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hard toi argue with this choice. Crystal is playing like she means it. I will say, though, that Kia keeps nailing those 3s. Tonight, it seemed UConn's offense caught up with the defense. It was really nice to see. And then the defense kicked it up a notch with those Azura blocks.

Our next opponent Oklahoma, is going to have nightmares when they see this game tape and try to prepare for us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Our next opponent Oklahoma, is going to have nightmares when they see this game tape and try to prepare for us.
And the Sooners are not a very good team this year, currently at 3-5.

Reaction Score
We do, but we only get three spots on it, so you have to choose and I'm guessing the six will steal votes from each other.
That doesn't happen because we can only nominate 3 for WBCA AA. Of course then the 3 will steal votes from one another. But there will be enough votes for all 3.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Danger gets the nod. She is the best point guard in the country right now
I'm going to assume you've never heard of Kelsey Mitchell, Asia Durr or Brooke McCarty?

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They lost to DePaul, 111-108.

HGN

Reaction Score
When Maya or Kaleena shot, I expected everyone to go in. I'm getting to that point with both Kia and Crystal.
Milford , I agree 100%. The Husky backcourt is playing lights out. Who does the other team double? Both are nailing it from the outside.

GO HUSKIES!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The one wrinkle in all of this is that out of 7 recruits for the last two years, Crystal is the only one GA trusts with Megan next. That’s not a great sign. Two kids didn’t play at all in a major blow out with one having been a presumed capable pg. It’s only December, so hopefully we’ll see more from a few more of them. Blow outs will be pretty frequent with this scary good crew. Crystal is clearly way ahead of MoJeffs scoring ability so early. She reminds me a bit of Ivory Latta (?) with much less pressure to be the main threat.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm going to assume you've never heard of Kelsey Mitchell, Asia Durr or Brooke McCarty?
Your assumption is incorrect of course. The three players you name are all great scorers, but none of them can run an offense and set up their teammates like Danger imo. Danger is a true pg. Her decision making is brilliant and she makes everyone on her team better.

A lot of folks thought Jordan Canada would outplay Danger, but that wasn’t the case. Looking forward to seeing Danger vs TX & Lou.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Your assumption is incorrect of course. The three players you name are all great scorers, but none of them can run an offense and set up their teammates like Danger imo. Danger is a true pg. Her decision making is brilliant and she makes everyone on her team better.

A lot of folks thought Jordan Canada would outplay Danger, but that wasn’t the case. Looking forward to seeing Danger vs TX & Lou.
Canada did outplay Dangerfield, UCLA just didn't win the game. If you're evaluating individual players just evaluate the player not what the team does. Crystal Dangerfield is a wonderful player and will only get better but the hyperbole doesn't help. Destiny Slocumb completely outplayed Dangerfield last year when Connecticut played Maryland and no one touted Slocumb as the best PG in the country.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Canada did outplay Dangerfield, UCLA just didn't win the game. If you're evaluating individual players just evaluate the player not what the team does. Crystal Dangerfield is a wonderful player and will only get better but the hyperbole doesn't help. Destiny Slocumb completely outplayed Dangerfield last year when Connecticut played Maryland and no one touted Slocumb as the best PG in the country.
Slocum won the award as the best freshman in the nation. Even as a freshman, she was one of the best PGs in the country. Dangerfield was still learning last year. She’s a completely different player this year. When Geno says he looks for the future great PG for USA Basketball and sees Crystal at the top of the list, I trust his judgment.

Carnac

Reaction Score
They lost to DePaul, 111-108.

111-108. That looks like an old fashion "shootout" to me. :eek: Either BOTH teams were red hot, or it was like an NBA All-Star game..........NOBODY played any defense. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Slocum won the award as the best freshman in the nation. Even as a freshman, she was one of the best PGs in the country. Dangerfield was still learning last year. She’s a completely different player this year. When Geno says he looks for the future great PG for USA Basketball and sees Crystal at the top of the list, I trust his judgment.

Correct!!! Look at the leap that Dangerous made from last year to now. She'll be that much better next year, and THAT thought should scare the hell out of UConn's opponents next year. Slocum started for Maryland last year. Obviously she was not coached the same as Crystal was, and the environment was different. Example: Look at the way Azura is being coached now, and how she is being asked to do different things than she was for 2 years at Duke, and she's still adjusting to those changes at 21 years old.

Slocum may have been a better player than Crystal. Because she started, and got a lot more playing time, that allowed her to develop and mature faster than Dangerfield did because Crystal was confined to getting 6th man minutes. Now Slocum is in limbo at Oregon State as she sits out the year to comply to the NCAA transfer rule, and Dangerfield has caught up, she may have passed her.

Most juniors are very comfortable in their 3rd year. There are no unknowns, no surprises. They know the system and the plays, and they make much better decisions at that point then they did as freshmen. They know they can play at that level, and they know exactly what their coach wants and expects from them. So it's just about imposing their will on their opponents, and continuing to hone their skills. There are some good to very good point guards right now in division one WCBB. I hesitate on using the adjective "great" here.

In my opinion, Jordan Canada is in the top 3 this year. Dangerfield is easily in the top 5 (and rising fast). Don't be surprised to see Crystal continue to mature and be perceived as one of the top 3 in division one.

I believe she has been put on the Nancy Liberman watch list for this season has she not? Depending on the skill level of the players around them, pg's may be asked/expected to do different things on different teams. i.e, Kelsey Mitchell does not have 4 "All-Americans" on the floor with her that Dangerfield does, so her coach (Kevin McGuff) is going to want/expect different things from her, than Geno does from Dangerous.

Crystal is on the floor with 4 other players who can easily score in double figures every night, Mitchell is not. A good way to determine who the best pg's are is try and figure the order they would go in the WNBA draft if they were all eligible. Sometimes stats, or won/loss totals can be misleading and don't really reveal a player's true worth and ability. As we all know, many times a player will do things that don't show up in the box score or on a stat sheet, but they can be still the heart and soul of their team i.e, Alana Beard - Los Angeles Sparks. You couldn't pry her away from head coach Brian Agler with the jaws of life. He knows her value.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I do think Mo was a better defender at this point compared to Crystal Dangerfield, and it wasn't really until her junior year that Mo started showing off her scoring skills. Remember even into her junior year she was still being left open and dared to shoot from the perimeter.
Mo was a fabulous defender and spent the entire summer of her riding junior year working on her 3point shot. When she started to demonstrate that the lane opened up for ridiculous drives and she became the best point since Sue.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I forgot to mention that in true Badass tradition, she caught the business end of a very hard screen in the face and head during the first half but did not waver
IIRC, she left a game last season after a similar screen. It’s quite possible that her added strength saved her from a similar fate last night.

Agree she deserves the badass, and also that the core seven played really well. It was nice to see KLS at apparent full strength and Pheesa shooting 8-11. I am still worried about Gabby’s tendency to pass the ball to nobody in particular, which she did 3-4 times last night. I’m hopeful that that’s due to still learning new movement patterns rather than foggy headedness.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield is making a statement this year. She is not to be left unguarded from the outside.
All of her three point shooting is just baiting the other team. She will blow by them with her speed soon enough.

Reaction Score
Canada did not outplay Dangerfield.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom