Badass award vs. DePaul | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Badass award vs. DePaul

Reaction Score
Opinions vary!!
Tell me why you think Canada outplayed Dangerfield. I like my point guards composed and in charge. Not taking wild shots and trying to do too much. I was at the game. CD was in charge of her squad. Canada was trying to be the savior and it didn’t workout.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Canada did outplay Dangerfield, UCLA just didn't win the game. If you're evaluating individual players just evaluate the player not what the team does. Crystal Dangerfield is a wonderful player and will only get better but the hyperbole doesn't help. Destiny Slocumb completely outplayed Dangerfield last year when Connecticut played Maryland and no one touted Slocumb as the best PG in the country.
Canada was an abysmal 5-16 shooting the ball with 4 TO’s vs UConn. We’re going to have to disagree on who outplayed who.

I’m not sure how the MD game last year has anything to do with my comment about Danger’s play this year. FYI, Danger didn’t even start the game vs MD last year. Saniya did and played 32 minutes.

Reaction Score
Have to agree. Crystal Dangerfield is ahead of Mo. It wasn't until the season went along that we started getting a glimpse of what Mo was going to be whereas there's little doubt Crystal Dangerfield has arrived as a premier WCBB point guard already.
Personal opinion, Mo was superior due to her shut down defense. Crystal Dangerfield making spectacular 3's but Mo could create greater point differential by taking out the best guard on other team. Not sure why most of the Board focus solely on offensive performance. Thrilled we are having this discussion due to CD's major jump this year.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s the offensive performance the board is focused on. I think it’s the composure and maturity CD is showing. She controls the tempo and gets players organized on the court like a season vet!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I concur. Chrystal was in control during the madness last night and did very well.

All of us including Geno feel better when the ball is in Crystal's hands. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s the offensive performance the board is focused on. I think it’s the composure and maturity CD is showing. She controls the tempo and gets players organized on the court like a season vet!

......................and exposes and takes advantage of a team's defensive weakness or lapses.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I concur. Chrystal was in control during the madness last night and did very well.
One of Crystal's jobs as the PG was to not let the team get caught up in the craziness of DePaul Ball, as Geno put it. I recall Moriah saying that the other team would play at the pace she decided. In looking at the highlights, I think that Crystal seems to be involved in about half of them.

Reaction Score
I definitely think CD is in the top point guard discussion along with Canada ,Durr, Mitchell( although not clear she is really a point guard), and possibly McCarty(haven't seen her play in a while)....but IMO you have to start the conversation with Sabrina Ionescu. If SI was a husky she would be a badass regular and viewed as the next Bird.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I definitely think CD is in the top point guard discussion along with Canada ,Durr, Mitchell( although not clear she is really a point guard), and possibly McCarty(haven't seen her play in a while)....but IMO you have to start the conversation with Sabrina Ionescu. If SI was a husky she would be a badass regular and viewed as the next Bird.
I forget the term Geno used in the tourney last year, but I think he called Sabrina a "handful." I believe that Kara Lawson said the 2nd best PG in 2016 was Canada and that she was the best last year. Plum won the Lieberman Award.

Excluding Slocum, who is not playing this season, here's a list of many of the best PGs. I'll probably forget at least one, so feel free to supplement it:

Canada
Mitchell
Durr
McCarty
Ionescu
Dangerfield
Brown (Lexie)
Carter?
Others?

While N.D. has some really good players, I think their only true PG is Lili Thomson, and I'd put her behind Lindsay Allen and the players listed here.

Reaction Score
Liked them all. Thought one of Z's blocks could have been hit up rather than in the stands; she'll learn.

Seriously, has anyone ever made a more impressive sophomore leap than Crystal? It's one thing to show consistent improvement throughout the sophomore year, but Crystal shows up at the beginning of the season as a top-notch point.
Some day she'll (Z) be like a terrible Uconn post, Kiah Stokes; who tipped or took the rebound with a RARE swat into the stand (probably for effect). I read that Stoke does almost OK in the Pro's.
Yes, I think Moriah did the leap, if it can be considered that, both were more than good as HS, and Frosh, both were not trusted by Geno as Frosh (or so it has been reported) apparently the Guards at the end of her Frosh year asked Geno to trust to trust her (Moriah) apparently Geno Trusts Danger this year.
I'm biased towards both, and always thought them top guards--and scoring machines. I'm more than pleased Danger is getting recognition for her game and especially that Geno is teaching her between timeouts in nearly every game--big plus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That boat has sailed: Only one Sue Bird, if there was a second it would be Danger and Moriah. Your assessment and view of who is or isn't a super guard is along my views--Mitchell is a scorer,as a guard is she equal to McCarty/Canada??
S.I. (as you indicated) is one heck of a player as a Soph and no slough as a frosh.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Canada did not outplay Dangerfield.
I was at the game live and no way did she outplay Crystal. Having said that, the 2 have very different games. Against UCONN, Canada simply did not excel at getting her teammates involved. She wanted to rely on 1 on 1 play (like Durr and Mitchell do) and she was simply shut down. And by the way, it wasn't even close between the 2 who the better player was. Danger not only is the better pure PG, but she scored 17 points on 5-9 shooting. Jordan was at 15 points on 5-16 shooting.

Moreover, Canada scored 7 of her 15 in the last 3 minutes of the game when it was long decided. Kudos to UCLA for playing the last 5 minutes HARD and taking it to UCONN, but up to that point, she was at 8 points on 3-14 shooting. All in all, not a good effort. No offense to the poster who think Canada outplayed her, but the fact is that in the statistical categories, she did not. Nor did she from the eye-test. Nor did she as the leader of her team.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Frankly, my dear, they can have the AA's; I'll take NC #12. (Bet no one disagrees . . .)
I believe the team will also

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom