Bad night for the Gilbert haters. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bad night for the Gilbert haters.

Reaction Score
He has played at a different pace since coming back. It was never lack of talent.
Not rushing or forcing plays. Pretty much taking what the defense is giving us
Plus last night his shot was on.
Now I'm sure he doesn't feel like he has to do everything like earlier in the year.
Keep it going AG.

Reaction Score
AG looked more relaxed last night than I have ever seen him. From his and coaches comments it sounds like he felt responsible for the entire team. This is a huge burden for any player.

He is playing much more freely.
Even when he went inside and got blocked, he went back for a huge kick out which helped open the lane for him later.

All around 3s helped against that nasty physical zone, but a relaxed AG off the bench is great for him and all of us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has played at a different pace since coming back. It was never lack of talent.
Not rushing or forcing plays. Pretty much taking what the defense is giving us
Plus last night his shot was on.
Now I'm sure he doesn't feel like he has to do everything like earlier in the year.
Keep it going AG.

I really like Alterique. I think he's been through a lot. McD AA, signs with UConn and looks like the next great UConn PG, after the last two each won a national championship. That had to be what he saw as the future.

2016-17: plays 3 games and a team with 8 top 100 recruits finishes 16-17. Has surgery.
2017-18: Plays 6 games. Team is worse at 14-18. Has major surgery and his coach is fired.
2018-19: Plays 25 games and after a slow injury recovery start he was going well, gets smacked in the face and has an eye injury. Team is 16-17.
2019-20: Finally healthy, and yet the style of play is different. The offense has changed. He no longer has Jalen Adams as another dual threat guard. His shot stops falling and the freshmen don't step up and take shots. Team keeps losing close games. Then he sees the team play better with Gaffney and has to think about what has gone wrong.

It takes some maturity to step back, re-evaluate who you are and what you want.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anybody hates Gilbert. But you’ll have to admit that until this performance he’s been meh. At best.
With all the vile directed towards him in the games he didn't do well leads me to believe otherwise. I understand. The BY is an entitled fickle group.

Reaction Score
AI is now ahead of Vital and Adams in 3 point percentage and 3rd on team behind Polley and Bouk. Vital is having an epic 3 point slump.

Reaction Score
AI is now ahead of Vital and Adams in 3 point percentage and 3rd on team behind Polley and Bouk. Vital is having an epic 3 point slump.
Lets hope he’s saving it for the conference tourney.

Vital is a very rigid athlete and IMO those are the types that really struggle when they fall out of their mechanics even very slightly.

Reaction Score
17 points, 6-8, 3-3 from three, only three assists but it led the team. And his usual dogged defense.

This kid is capable of this very often. But it just hasn't happened. It was BEAUTIFUL to watch.
Amen

BTW, this team has officially gelled.. I'm calling it.. They're starting to recognize what to do and what not to do on offense, in the halfcourt sets a lot more....

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Anyone here who says they haven't seen posters frequently shredding Gilbert must be blind.

The next time he has a bad game, many praising him today will trash him.
And this is surprising to you? It's always been that way here even for kids who were more successful on the court.

Gilbert caught a lot of heat here because of his very questionable decisions he made at the end of games, and the fact that he seemed to make the same mistakes repeatedly. Last night he didn't and people complimented him on his game. [shrug]

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Incidentally, Hurley is not getting enough credit for his, frankly, brilliant handling of the APR academic situation which we saw play out last night.
Good, though cynical, observation.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
My favorite Al moment from last night was the return of the stinkface after his late and 1:
1581094982075.png

So good to see.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
And anyone pretending that equals you're a Gilbert hater has their head up their behind.

Hyperbole may not be the right word, but it's close. I doubt OP believes the masses hate sny player.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nobody hates the kid. He gets criticized when he plays poorly and praised when he plays well. That is sports. If this makes you uncomfortable maybe you should switch hobbies.
Wrong on so many levels
Many here demean the kid and college sports is a game - when your not doing it as a business there is no room to be as critical as many have been to a young man playing for his school. He hasn't been disrespectful to anyone, has kept his record while at UConn clean and has experienced some huge setbacks physically and emotionally.
Hobbies are things that bring people joy and if your hobby includes being critical of 18-22 year old kids trying to do their best - its time for you to switch your hobby
Its a freaking game - not life or death

Reaction Score
Wrong on so many levels
Many here demean the kid and college sports is a game - when your not doing it as a business there is no room to be as critical as many have been to a young man playing for his school. He hasn't been disrespectful to anyone, has kept his record while at UConn clean and has experienced some huge setbacks physically and emotionally.
Hobbies are things that bring people joy and if your hobby includes being critical of 18-22 year old kids trying to do their best - its time for you to switch your hobby
Its a freaking game - not life or death

Well unfortunately that is not realistic. Everyone, yourself included, have been and will continue to be critical when you're emotionally invested in a program. Nobody actually hates Gilbert.

Reaction Score
Well unfortunately that is not realistic. Everyone, yourself included, have been and will continue to be critical when you're emotionally invested in a program. Nobody actually hates Gilbert.

Fair but let's be honest there are those who find every second to tell us his inability to make a play and "here we go again" moments when they happen. There are many of those who point the negatives out immediately who will never find the time to tell you when he does anything good in a game. It may not be hate, but it's a next door neighbor.

Reaction Score
17 points, 6-8, 3-3 from three, only three assists but it led the team. And his usual dogged defense.

This kid is capable of this very often. But it just hasn't happened. It was BEAUTIFUL to watch.
How could anyone hate the kid after all he’s been through?? I know it can be frustrating at times but i know he has so much more. wait until next year!

Reaction Score
Fair but let's be honest there are those who find every second to tell us his inability to make a play and "here we go again" moments when they happen. There are many of those who point the negatives out immediately who will never find the time to tell you when he does anything good in a game. It may not be hate, but it's a next door neighbor.

There's also a difference between criticizing a kid's play and some of the stuff that gets said on here (and in particular in the chat) that would never be said face to face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom