Back to School | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Back to School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That IS the wrench in everything.

I live with a K teacher. she busted her butt to create great content every week. No one ( I mean like 15% of people, because as Im sure you know thats measurable) actually watched the content after the first 3 weeks of online learning. and that was with MOST parents at home.

HS should be able to pull it off...... Early elementary, I dont see how. Kids that age are germ factories and dont even really understand how or why they need a mask. Plus at that age socialization is such a huge component of early childhood education. How that gets balanced I cant figure out. And no one else can. Its a troubling time.

Somewhat theoretical because the bussing logistics and ergonomics would be a mess but you could potentially put older grade school kids, say grade 4 and 5, in high school building while having HS kids learn from home. If the priority has to be younger kids in the classroom, which I believe is smart, you have to find a way to use the high school rooms somehow to keep things spread out.

Reaction Score
You conveniently leave out the second test when they get to campus - which closes the risk window further. But, of course life is not without some risks.

What on Earth do you think Sally is going to do during this brilliant two week quarantine- sitting in her non - air conditioned room for two weeks in August? When was the last time you were a student?
Probably close to the last time you were...

Things/plans will continue to evolve... at least UConn is not UMass (yet) who just announced they are on-line only this fall:

>>The flagship University of Massachusetts campus in Amherst plans to hold classes remotely this fall and start classes in August but will also allow students to move back in, provided they comply with what school officials describe as "exacting" health and safety standards.<<

>>Students who elect to live in on-campus housing or plan to spend time on campus will be required to sign an agreement committing to abide by safety protocols including limiting their daily social contacts, wearing face coverings outside their living space, limiting travel away from the campus area, not bringing guests into the residence halls, monitoring themselves for potential COVID-19 symptoms daily and "subjecting themselves to virus testing on demand," according to the school.<<

Reaction Score
The professors (older staff) are the people who need to take precautions and do everything possible to isolate themselves from the students. They are the people who are at risk. The students will be fine. 99.9% of the students will have no issues from the virus.

Where are you getting this 99.9%? I've read quite different numbers about lingering symptoms.

There is no definitive study where one could say it's 99.9% will be fine.

With MERS and SARS, 42%-53% of young people had continuing debilitating symptoms.

If you read this article, it is appropriate to be terrified: The emerging long-term complications of Covid-19, explained

Reaction Score
Where are you getting this 99.9%? I've read quite different numbers about lingering symptoms.

There is no definitive study where one could say it's 99.9% will be fine.

With MERS and SARS, 42%-53% of young people had continuing debilitating symptoms.

If you read this article, it is appropriate to be terrified: The emerging long-term complications of Covid-19, explained
Sobering article. Thank you for sharing it. Unwarranted optimism or minimizing the peril does no good for the college students. Hanging out in bars and real close contact cannot be a good thing.

I don't know how athletes can remain safe with the close contact in sports.

Reaction Score
Vox?

The percentage of people of college age who require hospitalization isn’t even a rounding error.

I never even mentioned hospitalization.

The damage I'm talking about occurs with people with not only mild symptoms, but asymptomatic people who aren't even aware they are sick, yet they'll suffer the downstream effects years down the line.

This comes from a variety of studies that have been done.

If you have access to a library database, you can look up articles in the Annals of Internal Medicine such as the one titled "Prevalence of Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection." In it, they look at organ damage to asymptomatic carriers.

Reaction Score
The only thing I'll add in all this for those of you who have children 5-12 is that less than 1% of those testing positive are in this age range. A Dutch study has surmised some kind of innate immunity for the vast majority of children. They looked at cases in which both parents had Covid but their young children did not.

So, it could be that it is not a big risk for elementary and middle schools to open.

Then again--these are early days and these studies may be refuted in the future.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The kid has had it. I’ve had it.

We’re 100% fine.

It’s simply not an issue for young, otherwise healthy people.

Reaction Score

We’re 100% fine.

Yes, a lot of people have had it. Everyone knows people. And?

So we dismiss the medical people and professionals putting out these studies because of anecdotes that people we know (or ourselves) are fine? If that were the case, these medical people are just scaremongering when they look at the relatively high rates of organ damage.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The only thing I'll add in all this for those of you who have children 5-12 is that less than 1% of those testing positive are in this age range. A Dutch study has surmised some kind of innate immunity for the vast majority of children. They looked at cases in which both parents had Covid but their young children did not.

So, it could be that it is not a big risk for elementary and middle schools to open.

Then again--these are early days and these studies may be refuted in the future.

Most of the teachers and staff are older than 5 to 12.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

We’re 100% fine.

But surely it’s an issue for those you may contact?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, a lot of people have had it. Everyone knows people. And?

So we dismiss the medical people and professionals putting out these studies because of anecdotes that people we know (or ourselves) are fine? If that were the case, these medical people are just scaremongering when they look at the relatively high rates of organ damage.

As opposed to what....shutting down schools because people who show no symptoms might show symptoms years from now?

When will that study be done? We can just cancel this generation of kids If that fits the agenda.

Reaction Score
I’m 99.9% sure I had this at the start of March, I never was able to get tested during that time.

It took about 2.5 months for my breath to feel normal and I’m not sure it’s even “normal” now. I can’t point to anything specific as far as further effects but I know I haven’t really felt right since.

People talking about survival rate as a means to make it sound less serious infuriate me.

When you have it, you’ll feel the anxiety of not knowing whether you’re part of the 2% that will stop breathing, or whether you’ve infected your 18 month old. Or your pregnant fiancée.

Then tell me “survival rate is so high, it’s not that serious! We need to reopen!!”
Try driving down a road in Kabul wondering if there is an IED ahead or the dude coming up on you is a VBID trying to blow you up. Or sitting in a crappy tent in a compound at night waiting to get mortared, or walking along a Compound wall hoping somebody doesn’t toss a grenade over. I’m sorry you had the flu, but suck it up. You got no idea how badly most have it in the rest of the world.

Reaction Score
If you are someone who is in at-risk group, you need to take care of yourself and avoid contact with the rest of the world until such time as it is safe to do so.

There’s no way around that - it’s not going away.

I broadly agree with this. I think we're approaching a point where we're going to have to live with the virus. We just have to do it responsibly.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Only on the boneyard can you watch a self proclaimed STEM expert get into arguments over medical advice with actual medical doctors...

Bats are carriers, and show no symptoms. I wonder if that extends to people who are batshit crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom