Back at it (practice) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Back at it (practice)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Since 2017 UConn has had to use inexperienced players as starters and as part of the rotation. Geno would mention in early season interviews how he had to spend so much time teaching the freshmen that he was forced to simplify his schemes in preseason. He went on to say that once the season started there wasn't time to add new aspects. This year he has a slew of experienced veterans and even though some of them have missed time, they have all been in the gym for practices for 2 or three years. They will skim over the first 20 pages of "How we play at UConn" and get into the finer points quickly. That will make it tougher for the freshmen but the fans will benefit with a more sophisticated team, able to adjust on the fly to anything the opposition does.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
One key is to get Caroline back up to speed and to eliminate any doubts if she were to get bumped. As for the freshman it will take time for them to adjust to college BB and playing with the team. They are used to it being about them and them taking over. At UConn its about the team, and team options as to who makes the decisions when a play or shot is needed. UConn has plenty of them.

Reaction Score
I read a while ago she’s the healthiest she’s been since coming to uconn

Well that is certainly good news. I wasn't sure after she was pulled from one of the games in Europe, I was afraid she had suffered yet another concussion.

Reaction Score
Since 2017 UConn has had to use inexperienced players as starters and as part of the rotation. Geno would mention in early season interviews how he had to spend so much time teaching the freshmen that he was forced to simplify his schemes in preseason. He went on to say that once the season started there wasn't time to add new aspects. This year he has a slew of experienced veterans and even though some of them have missed time, they have all been in the gym for practices for 2 or three years. They will skim over the first 20 pages of "How we play at UConn" and get into the finer points quickly. That will make it tougher for the freshmen but the fans will benefit with a more sophisticated team, able to adjust on the fly to anything the opposition does.
Good points, I just wanted to add that our schedule makes getting ready and incorporating freshmen into the rotation more of a challenge. It is a by-product of being a super team in a non Power 5 conference. To have a schedule in keeping with our national standing we have to load very tough out of conference games upfront in the schedule, then later the in-conference schedule is much easier.

Now compare that to a school like LSU. They will have a much tougher conference schedule than us, but their early schedule is cupcakes. In their case the beginning of the season is more like an extended training camp. They can give all their newcomers playing time in blowouts to get them acclimated to the system and find out how ready they are before the important part of the season, the conference schedule begins.

Uconn doesn't have the luxury of developing players that are not yet ready for prime time in early games. If they do enough to earn a rotation spot before the first big game, great, if not their next big opportunity is to show what they can do in Big East blowouts later. In that case they have the opportunity to potentially move into the rotation before the tournaments start.

The player development tract and possibilities are very different because of our schedule being so front-loaded compared to Power 5 (or whatever it is now) teams. It is what it is. In the Big East we have to schedule that way, but as Alydar points out, having a more experienced group that doesn't have to rely as much on newcomers is a significant advantage for us this year, more so than much of our recent history.

Reaction Score
While the SEC is clearly a tougher conference the gap isn't as wide as some claim. LSU's toughest games after New Years will be SCar and Tenn. After New Years UConn plays SCar and NDame. Furthermore, comparing LSU's OOC games to UConn's BE schedule is simply wrong. According to my quick search through Massey's lists, UConn has 6 BE opponents in the top 100. Not much to crow about but last season LSU's OOC schedule had 2 top 100 teams.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One key is to get Caroline back up to speed and to eliminate any doubts if she were to get bumped. As for the freshman it will take time for them to adjust to college BB and playing with the team. They are used to it being about them and them taking over. At UConn its about the team, and team options as to who makes the decisions when a play or shot is needed. UConn has plenty of them.
I don't believe there is even one of the current UConn freshmen who believes that during their freshman season that it will be all about them and has plans to take over. Geno does not recruit players who have that kind of attitude.

Reaction Score
For the players coming back from injury it will take time for them to adjust and reestablish themselves in a real game. For our underclassman it will take some time. Im thinking Caroline and Ice especially. If Caroline can go full throttle we are in position where we could to go undefeated and if Ice comes in going full throttle we could win every game by double digits. The last if is Amari. If Amari can become an intimidator down low well we will be silly good.
i dont hold out too much hope for amari. i pray that im wrong.

Reaction Score
Thank you for mentioning Caroline. She also has great range. As I recall, she defeated Azzi in three point contest on national tv just before they entered UConn.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Thank you for mentioning Caroline. She also has great range. As I recall, she defeated Azzi in three point contest on national tv just before they entered UConn.
This is true, but they technically tied at the SLAM competition with same number of points. Caroline was declared the winner because she actually made more shots, as Azzi made a couple of bonus balls that were worth more. I was surely enthused with our future 3 point shooting as they both were coming in at the same time. You never know.

Reaction Score
There was a year when UConn led the country on offense and defense. A lot of that was due to the late game subs who were very good and increased the final margin. I see the same thing this year. Some of the roster may be lacking in an area or two but they all bring skills onto the floor. And energy. I see a lot of losing totals under 50.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was a year when UConn led the country on offense and defense. A lot of that was due to the late game subs who were very good and increased the final margin. I see the same thing this year. Some of the roster may be lacking in an area or two but they all bring skills onto the floor. And energy. I see a lot of losing totals under 50.
2015-2016. That roster included what would ultimately be six 1st team AA’s: Stewie, Tuck, Mo, Lou, Pheesa & Gabby, POY Stewie, plus three NDPOY’s: Mo, Gabby & Kia. That year, the Huskies beat everyone they played by double digits, with most games effectively over by the end of the 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
The team better hope Geno doesn't see this. His comment would be "very little ball movement". ;)

Reaction Score
For me the big question is how is Caroline Ducharme doing?
I whole heartedly agree. I was watching some highlights from her freshman year, and I don't think I appreciated how good she was in transition. I know she's not the most athletic but she was able to change ends quickly, and ran the floor extremely well. Last year, I noticed she was not filling the wing, which I just attributed to coming back from hip surgery and not being in great shape to start the season. But I do think her at her best, is slashing and running the wing. Those are the things I'd like to see her do in pre-season to gauge how "back" she is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom