Back 2 Sports: Class of 21 and 22 are a disaster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Back 2 Sports: Class of 21 and 22 are a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to "go for broke" with Amari - have her in there. Tough love under game conditions, maybe that would ignite her passion. I'm sure deep down in she would love to define her skills and start contributing in a positive fashion. You know her teammates would respond in a big way.
Whose minutes would you cut?

Reaction Score
I am hopeful that someone on the team or coaching staff realizes they can not win against big teams without Amari. Maybe Paige needs to have a sit down with her and explain the importance of her busting her butt in practice to appease Geno. Amari was a top 5 recruit right? I would hope there is something to salvage there.
My issue with the playing time is that when we are beating teams by 30+ points, why not put her in for the 4th quarter, instead of the last 30 seconds? So UConn only wins by 25 instead of 40?
Same with Ines. She agreed to come to UConn when the team was in deep trouble, injury wise. She bailed out the team when she could have gone to Florida and played a lot. Instead, as a thank you , she sits until there are 30 seconds left in blowouts.

Reaction Score
In terms of the impact of injuries it is far more than the devastation to our sophomore and junior classes which is almost beyond belief. In fact all of our recruiting classes on this team have been devastated by injuries. There are actually 5 classes on this year's team including Aubrey who was the year before the other seniors, but who took a redshirt year.

Aubrey's class had very bad luck because she missed a whole year. There were other injuries that year as well, but one very good rotation player missing the whole season by itself makes it a bad year on the injury front. Paige's class obviously had worse than average luck because of what happened to her, not just missing a full season, but half of another, and we have not been lucky on the health front with this year's freshmen class either, because Jana will miss the whole year.

Basically if you miss a key player for the whole year, good health for the remaining rotation players the rest of the year doesn't make up for it. Of course we haven't had that either with multiple injuries after season ending losses. After Paige's injury in her second year and other injuries, I'm sure many thought next year has to be better on the injury front and then amazingly it was worse. Then this year it just had to be better right? Nope, I haven't done the math yet but I am pretty sure we will have more games missed due to injuries this year than the last two if Ayanna doesn't return this year and Caroline only plays part of the year.

I would say we are due for a healthy roster next year, but I could have said that the last three or four years too.

Reaction Score
The one and only one game in which Deberry showed something had CD as acting coach. Perhaps CD has a lighter or different touch than Geno. Possibly the UCONN environment with Geno as coach was not the right fit for her.

Reaction Score
She didn't play vs Stanford. It was SC. She played 4 minutes 0-1 from the floor no rebounds, 1 personal foul. 1 turnover.
I stand corrected on which game she played. The old memory isn't what it used to be so I should have looked it up but that was a bit irrelevant to the rest of my points. People can disagree if they wish as I just wanted to add some context to the discussion. I watched that game. A player can add good minutes to a game without stuffing a stat sheet. For example if a coach sends you into a game to deny a player the chance to get the ball and you do that it does not show anywhere but your impact could be great.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She didn't play vs Stanford. It was SC. She played 4 minutes 0-1 from the floor no rebounds, 1 personal foul. 1 turnover.
Despite the box score, Amari played well in that game. Geno was hoping she could build on that experience but injuries and the fact she’s just too nice of a person to play ”nasty” have limited her time.

Reaction Score
You can't predict the future. Geno has recruited well, but circumstances have thwarted his plans. Certainly due in part to perceived opportunity, he lost Saylor Poffenbarger and Mir McLean. At 6'2", Saylor is averaging a double-double for Arkansas. Mir at Virginia is a hair way from averaging a double-double, at 9.6 rebounds per game. Both would be strong additions to the current roster and logging good minutes.

You also recruit on potential, and you can't predict how everyone will grow and mature. Piath Gabriel's brother was a top 15 recruit and played in the NBA. She's now at her 3rd school and playing only a few minutes per game.

Reaction Score
2021 UConn and SCar both claimed superclasses and the recruits of those schools dominated the top rankings.

Azzi
Raven
Rivers
Feagin
Carolyn
Bree
Amari
Saylor

The top two both suffered injuries their first year. Azzi continues to be injured. Raven had not fully recovered her second year but seems to have done so this year. Rivers flopped (offensively) as a frosh backup but, now a junior at NC States, she is starting to live up to the hype. Feagin is a junior backup who can give good minutes - not just mop up. Carolyn was great when able to play! Carolyn may have been the best of the bunch as a frosh.Amari - well - an outsider should reserve judgment. Bre Hall has been our most solid contributor throughout her first two years and appears to be blossoming this year. Saylor transferred early but is excelling as a top 5 rebounder (who saw that coming?) at Arkansas.

We still have hope that this class can live up to its potential. Good luck to the gals in your class. Azzi is a lovely person and Carolyn such potential as a frosh.

JBK

Reaction Score
That insinuates that Ines is also a slacker which doesn't mesh with her improved physiquie this year, or her performance in the FIBA finals in August.
Agreed. Has anyone heard Geno state why she does not play. I am very surprised Janielle could not develop her.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected on which game she played. The old memory isn't what it used to be so I should have looked it up but that was a bit irrelevant to the rest of my points. People can disagree if they wish as I just wanted to add some context to the discussion. I watched that game. A player can add good minutes to a game without stuffing a stat sheet. For example if a coach sends you into a game to deny a player the chance to get the ball and you do that it does not show anywhere but your impact could be great.
I can't recall her having a postive impact. I might have to recheck. But this also goes the other way. Just because you aren't "terrrible" doesn't mean you played "well." And because she might have defended Boston better than Evina Westbrook did defending Boston doesn't mean you played well.

I still recall with dread that 1st quarter UCONN having to have Evina defend Boston in the paint for a time (not just one play etc). And to add to Evina though this is off-topic- just as Lombardi spoke to explain his comment "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." He later explained that it was taken a bit out of context He was talking about effort and a will to win. Evina was that for sure. :)

Reaction Score
My issue with the playing time is that when we are beating teams by 30+ points, why not put her in for the 4th quarter, instead of the last 30 seconds? So UConn only wins by 25 instead of 40?
Because the other players need as much time as they can get. UCONN hasn't had a fiull roster play together in several years. Their chemistry is way behind many, many. many teams. Why do you want to take the opportunity for the better player's from getting as much time together as possible when they have played so infrequently together? Especially in blowouts (which aren't as frequent anymore.), it can keep, for exmaple, the freshmens confidence high.

There's always a mention of "get the freshmen more minutes." Now all of a sudden it's "take the minutes away" because on that given day they are playing well? And maybe one or two on that day were't playing well. while others were super. So the answer is not to continue to give them minutes for those better younger players that might have struggled yet the game is a blowout? And they have to learn to play with Paige and Aliyah etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because the other players need as much time as they can get. UCONN hasn't had a fiull roster play together in several years. Their chemistry is way behind many, many. many teams. Why do you want to take the opportunity for the better player's from getting as much time together as possible when they have played so infrequently together? Especially in blowouts (which aren't as frequent anymore.), it can keep, for exmaple, the freshmens confidence high.

There's always a mention of "get the freshmen more minutes." Now all of a sudden it's "take the minutes away" because on that given day they are playing well? And maybe one or two on that day were't playing well. while others were super. So the answer is not to continue to give them minutes for those better younger players that might have struggled yet the game is a blowout? And they have to learn to play with Paige and Aliyah etc.
How about giving Aaliyah a break? She's gotten the crap beat out of her the last year and a half. If she goes down because she's just plain worn down, and Amari has only 1:30 combined playing time, the UConn ship is sunk.

Reaction Score
How about giving Aaliyah a break? She's gotten the crap beat out of her the last year and a half. If she goes down because she's just plain worn down, and Amari has only 1:30 combined playing time, the UConn ship is sunk.
Give Aaliyah a break? What is Ice there to do?

Secondly, if you were the coach you woudl tell all your player's that the ship has sunk? Do you really believe that the coaching staff and the players believe that they can't be a very good team? If they do think ship has sunk-- what should they do instead? Give up? Should Paige pack her bags because "the ship has sunk?"

Third, if the ship is sunk, then why bother with playing Amari much and not the players that are superior to her anyway? Since when is playing your worst /2nd worst player on the bench a viable alternative vs trying to win? Unless you are okay with the 11 time National Champion coach either telling or "showing" his players that he is not going to coach to win? Because if he is trying to coach to win, how is playing your worst two players a winning strategy?

This isn't the NBA where load-managment is king so they don't care if they lose a few games to rest players. Contrary to the pros - every game has meaning to programs that are accustomed to being elite even if that given year they are not. Uconn is not going to act like a spolied brat with 2.5 months left and pack up their bags because the situatuion has gone against them early.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
The only question I have with regards to Amari is: Does she want to play? The answer to this question makes all the difference in the world.

Reaction Score
However, if someone were to tell you with advance notice that you had inside information that UCONN wasn't going to go past the 2nd round (granted no one could know that) of the NCAA this year (as an example) would you care to follow them then this year?

If so, --- why?
I am not arguing with you at the moment. Just wondering why you would personally follow them if you 100% knew that they weren't going past 2nd round.
Because no matter what they are my team, I think this is reason enough!!!

Reaction Score
You can't predict the future. Geno has recruited well, but circumstances have thwarted his plans. Certainly due in part to perceived opportunity, he lost Saylor Poffenbarger and Mir McLean. At 6'2", Saylor is averaging a double-double for Arkansas. Mir at Virginia is a hair way from averaging a double-double, at 9.6 rebounds per game. Both would be strong additions to the current roster and logging good minutes.

You also recruit on potential, and you can't predict how everyone will grow and mature. Piath Gabriel's brother was a top 15 recruit and played in the NBA. She's now at her 3rd school and playing only a few minutes per game.
Ironic, as you say those two arrived and came to the conclusion that they wouldn’t play. On the current team they would be playing lots.

Reaction Score
Because no matter what they are my team, I think this is reason enough!!!
exactly!!!! there are real fans and then there are bandwagon fans, bandwagon fans jump on when things are great and the team is winning real fans stay on when they win and when they lose... Imma a real fan so if I knew they were not gonna make it past the 2nd round I'd be there if I knew they were not gonna make the field of 64 I'm there, If I knew they were gonna lose in the NIT I'm there, If I knew they were gonna not win the BE I'm there If I knew they were gonna lose 20 games this year I'm there...

Reaction Score
Great digging on injuries. I think it's now almost certain that Azzi's career is coming to an end. Same for Caroline, and for Ayanna. The report, if he's in the ballpark, means that Ayanna's knee injuries are devastating, and that her last surgery failed. If they're "trying everything possible before another surgery," it likely means that the next surgery will be very difficult, and possibly have serious consequences for Patterson's health, whatever the outcome.

Not sure what the prognosis is for an athlete who severs her Achilles tendon, but that has to be very difficult to come back from.

Just terrible news.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the prognosis is for an athlete who severs her Achilles tendon, but that has to be very difficult to come back from.
If you're talking about Jana, we don't know yet what her prognosis is. If you're talking about Stewie, the prognosis is you rehab for a year and then win WNBA MVP a couple years later.

Reaction Score
Interesting YouTube article:

I never realized how highly rated these two classes were.

Interesting summary & perspective.

There was also Piath Gabriel too who I believe went to UMass.

She too was a "big", but did little her freshman year.

Reaction Score
Amari has showed nothing in games, and it’s very clear that she has shown very little in practice. Geno would love to be able to play her but it’s obvious that he can’t.

I’m sure Geno has had a number of sit downs with her, but why should someone have to explain to her the importance of working hard in practice. And why would the reason for working hard be to “appease Geno”?

Your post makes it clear why she does not get playing time.
I don't agree with your assessment of Geno. I think when you get in his doghouse you live there until you graduate. I also know not all people are inspired by the same leadership styles and obviously she isn't inspired by Geno. The reason I have hope is because when Geno was out last year with sickness CD filled in for him and Amari player really well for her.

Amari may not be the savior but she is the only player on the roster with any height at all and UConn needs height on the floor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That insinuates that Ines is also a slacker which doesn't mesh with her improved physiquie this year, or her performance in the FIBA finals in August.
I've been surprised that Ines hasn't gotten much burn this year. She was thrown into the fire, in terms of playing time, last year and handled it fairly well. I think her circumstances may simply be that there are better players at the guard position available ahead of her. In any event, I suspect we will be seeing her on the court more often now that we are in the big east season.

Amari is an enigma, but, as a poster above noted, at this point, she is a known quantity. She seems like a genuinely very nice person and I can't help but root for her, but I'm not sure if it is realistic to expect more than we've already seen from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom