B1G TV Negotiations | Page 4 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Reaction Score
As force of habit, I think people will continue to watch ESPN. This would be great for the AAC. ESPN can basically make it a power conference by saying it is one. They'd need to put more games on ABC in order to give it an additional boost, but they could pull it off. If we are stuck in the AAC, this could be good news for exposure and money.

Reaction Score
As force of habit, I think people will continue to watch ESPN. This would be great for the AAC. ESPN can basically make it a power conference by saying it is one. They'd need to put more games on ABC in order to give it an additional boost, but they could pull it off. If we are stuck in the AAC, this could be good news for exposure and money.
Watch ESPN as a force of habit? Sure. Only to tune in to Olberman and Patrick on Sportscenter! Wait a minute..... They left years ago. So to did ESPN viewership. The better question is who in the hell watches ESPN anymore? Outside of Uconn ganes, I haven't watched in years. Not because I don't follow sports but because their on air talent is unwatchable. In fact, if UConn played its games on another network I would get rid of it entirely.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Watch ESPN as a force of habit? Sure. Only to tune in to Olberman and Patrick on Sportscenter! Wait a minute..... They left years ago. So to did ESPN viewership. The better question is who in the hell watches ESPN anymore? Outside of Uconn ganes, I haven't watched in years. Not because I don't follow sports but because their on air talent is unwatchable. In fact, if UConn played its games on another network I would get rid of it entirely.

ESPN is easily the most popular cable sports network still. AAC games that draw 1m+ viewers on ESPN likely wouldn't get half that on FS1 or NBCSN. Look at our games on CBSSN vs ESPN/2 and its obvious

Reaction Score
BC has a hard enough time winning football & basketball games in the ACC...can you imagine them playing in the B1G.

BC takes the conference money and refuses to invest in athletics. There may become a day when the schools that invest in coaches and facilities feel that they are carrying the weight while only getting the same return that BC gets.

Temple got the boot at one time...maybe BC can get the same. FSU fans burn candles and and say a daily prayer that it might become so (current thread on premium Warchant).

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
BC takes the conference money and refuses to invest in athletics. There may become a day when the schools that invest in coaches and facilities feel that they are carrying the weight while only getting the same return that BC gets.

Temple got the boot at one time...maybe BC can get the same. FSU fans burn candles and and say a daily prayer that it might become so (current thread on premium Warchant).
I doubt it, but I do see them as being viewed a less valuable property should the ACC fail.

Reaction Score
I doubt it, but I do see them as being viewed a less valuable property should the ACC fail.

If the ACC never gets a network off the ground there is literally no value to Boston College in the state they are in today.

They were brought in for the purpose of bringing New England eyeballs to ACC sports. The problem is that without a network that they can push New Englanders to buy subscriptions to, their is no monetary benefit to having BC in the existing TV deal as their athletics have been such a horror show that ESPN isn't giving their games any real exposure, therefore no eyeballs in the New England region.

In the mid-2000s when BC still had halfway decent football and basketball programs you could point to gate #s, bowl/NCAA tournament revenue and decent TV ratings as a reason to keep them around.

But those days are long gone.

I think @billybud is right and that eventually FSU & Co. are going to get sick of watching BC cash the same paycheck they get while doing absolutely nothing to increase the value of the ACC brand.

Will BC turn it around? Maybe. They have a pretty rabid alumni base who remembers Eagles teams of past who were decent, but the current administration needs to be tossed out first. It's a dire situation right now up there.

Reaction Score
ESPN is easily the most popular cable sports network still. AAC games that draw 1m+ viewers on ESPN likely wouldn't get half that on FS1 or NBCSN. Look at our games on CBSSN vs ESPN/2 and its obvious

Exactly. People check out ESPN all the time. If you had a good UConn/Cincy game on ESPN and had your announcers play it up rather than laugh at it, people would buy in and watch.

Reaction Score
If the ACC fails BC may be bound for the AAC. Especially when there is another school in New Emgland that actually puts money into sports/facilities.

Reaction Score
If the ACC fails BC may be bound for the AAC. Especially when there is another school in New Emgland that actually puts money into sports/facilities.

They can replace us...

Drew

Reaction Score

BC and UMass should make for a nice AAC rivalry to compliment UCF/USF

Reaction Score
If the ACC never gets a network off the ground there is literally no value to Boston College in the state they are in today.

They were brought in for the purpose of bringing New England eyeballs to ACC sports. The problem is that without a network that they can push New Englanders to buy subscriptions to, their is no monetary benefit to having BC in the existing TV deal as their athletics have been such a horror show that ESPN isn't giving their games any real exposure, therefore no eyeballs in the New England region.

In the mid-2000s when BC still had halfway decent football and basketball programs you could point to gate #s, bowl/NCAA tournament revenue and decent TV ratings as a reason to keep them around.

But those days are long gone.

I think @billybud is right and that eventually FSU & Co. are going to get sick of watching BC cash the same paycheck they get while doing absolutely nothing to increase the value of the ACC brand.

Will BC turn it around? Maybe. They have a pretty rabid alumni base who remembers Eagles teams of past who were decent, but the current administration needs to be tossed out first. It's a dire situation right now up there.

When did BC ever deliver New England eyeballs? Ever?

Reaction Score

Translation = ESPN is losing to NBC.

If ESPN was winning the second half of the rights, they wouldn't waste their time talking about it. They would just get the deal done and release the information.

Drew

Reaction Score

Gotta say this is surprising. Could the B1G be the first conference to voluntarily leave ESPN/ABC? Depending on the deal NBC could provide equal if not more exposure for the B1G

Reaction Score

Gotta say this is surprising. Could the B1G be the first conference to voluntarily leave ESPN/ABC? Depending on the deal NBC could provide equal if not more exposure for the B1G

The more B1G time content ESPN loses, the more valuable we are to them, no?

Drew

Reaction Score
Implication is clear: ESPN, Big Ten might divorce

“The Big Ten will do what’s best for the Big Ten, and ESPN has to take that same position. Everyone is watching what’s happening in the television world, the un-bundling that’s taking place, different platforms available now that maybe weren’t in the last go-around for TV contracts. This isn’t pointing a finger at ESPN in any way, stating you have to or don’t have to participate as a partner of the Big Ten. It’s more about: Can the two groups come together?

“No one has amnesia about the relationship we have had with ESPN. John Skipper and that group, they have been a wonderful partner. But we’re at a different place and I think they’re at a different place in 2016 than we were in the last round (of negotiations). That doesn’t mean we can’t get to the altar together and get married again. But we’re at the dating stage right now. And that’s a process. You’d love to continue to stay married with that partner but ultimately you have to do what’s in the best interests of the 14 institutions and that’s where Jim (Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany) is tremendous. He has the support and confidence of not only the athletic directors, but more important, the presidents. He will move us forward.”

Reaction Score
This is a negotiation ploy and I would be shocked if the B1G doesn't go with ESPN for the 2nd half of their rights. Gotta wonder though if this comes to fruition if ND could join the ACC fulltime since ESPN would be flush with cash to give them.

Reaction Score
This could be a calculated move by ESPN. Maybe it decided the value is not splitting the B1g 10 rights but securing the south/southeast with the SEC and ACC networks. By doing so, you will eventually eliminate the Big12, recruit the top schools and still maintain a strong grip on the college landscape.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dumb question, but has there been an official announcement about any B1G tv contract renewals just yet?

Drew

Reaction Score
If B1G leaves ESPN I think it winds up being a huge advantage for the AAC with the way our tv deal is currently laid out. We would more than likely get the 12ET ESPN/2 slots if they aren't being filled by the ACC (which would get more of the 330 games)

Reaction Score

It could very well be possible. If the B1G and ESPN divorce, foxsports will have exclusive rights to air the games, that would put fox in a more lucrative and powerful position, and ESPN will be standing in quicksand .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom