B1G TV Negotiations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I actually believe this development is a good one from a leverage standpoint for the AAC when the "look in" period comes up with our ESPN contract. If B1G games are being pulled from ESPN (which are usually on ESPN/2 on the 12ET time slot and 3:30) it could lead to even more exposure for the American on main networks for these early games. The league has surprisingly had decent ratings so far for the product. I could see a couple million bump per school and more exposure through ESPN, especially if B1G leaves ESPN all together (which I don't believe they will)

Drew

Reaction Score
The Game is Texas Hold ‘Em – And The Big 12 Doesn’t Have Enough Chips.

"One other interesting note is that there is no mention of FS2 as a carrier of these contests. All games will be nationally televised on the FOX Network or FS1. Those networks are available on the basic packages, but have been woefully behind even ESPN 2 when it comes to ratings for college football - just ask the Big 12."

Also worth noting the above- no FS2 for any of the B1G games is a smart move by Delaney, as Fox and FS1 are the only standard cable options right now from Fox

Does that mean the XII gets relegated to FS2? Fox Sports is really starting to compile some serious live sports content

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I actually believe this development is a good one from a leverage standpoint for the AAC when the "look in" period comes up with our ESPN contract. If B1G games are being pulled from ESPN (which are usually on ESPN/2 on the 12ET time slot and 3:30) it could lead to even more exposure for the American on main networks for these early games. The league has surprisingly had decent ratings so far for the product. I could see a couple million bump per school and more exposure through ESPN, especially if B1G leaves ESPN all together (which I don't believe they will)
There is no such thing as an AAC with leverage.

Drew

Reaction Score
Also wouldn't this 6 year time-frame for the B1G TV contract allow for 2 potential new members to come in at the end of it? I believe the XII Grant of Rights expires in 2024, correct? Would seem to me like the B1G is angling itself to scoop up Oklahoma and one other with this plus it allows Delaney to negotiate one more TV deal before he inevitably steps down

Drew

Reaction Score
$60m per year for each school in the freaking B1G. Would take UConn 30 freaking years to make that much on our current TV deal. What a joke:

Drew

Reaction Score
$60m per year for each school in the freaking B1G. Would take UConn 30 freaking years to make that much on our current TV deal. What a joke:

Reaction Score
Even with further hierarchization with B1G and SEC in the first level and a weakened ACC, XII, PAC-12 in the second level, if we can get into that second level as a backfill or pre-emptive grab, that's a lot better than our current situation.

I can't decide if this is good, because it means a shakeup is likely, or if it's bad because it solidifies the fact that we're being left behind.

I'll defer to CR Rule #1.

Drew

Reaction Score

For those wondering about ratings w/ Fox

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Not trying to pick on you Drew but we are in a poopton of trouble each day that passes with the AAC anchor around our necks. Fighting for scraps that fall off the table will ensure our irrelevancy in the future. We need a g-d miracle.

Reaction Score
So here is the question for UConn...............

The B1G will only add schools that can add to the pot of gold.

The one thing Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers have in common is that they all added to the monetary value of the TV contracts. Now that each school will be making between $50/$60 million in total revenues each year, is UConn capable of adding to that?

It would seem very few schools are going to be able to contribute additional money to the pot of gold that is the B1G.

I think the next tv contract was purposefully designed to only last six years so that the B1G can target some big schools with expansion to join as teams 15 and 16 when GOR's expire in the not too distant future (I'm looking at you Oklahoma).

Drew

Reaction Score
So here is the question for UConn.....

The one thing Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers have in common is that they all added to the monetary value of the TV contracts. Now that each school will be making between $50/$60 million in total revenues each year, is UConn capable of adding to that?

It would seem very few schools are going to be able to contribute additional money to the pot of gold that is the B1G.

I think the next tv contract was purposefully designed to only last six years so that the B1G can target some big schools with expansion to join as teams 15 and 16 when GOR's expire in the not too distant future (I'm looking at you Oklahoma)

this x100000

The last of the B1G expansion to 16 will take place when the negotiations for the next B1G TV contract come up. These are the last 2 lifeboats to the B1G- forget 18 or 20 teams.

UConn has to hang on until then, plain and simple. We need to continue to do everything in our power to raise our profile academically and research wise until that point comes. I believe OU is B1G bound- we need to beat out the remaining contenders for that last spot (VT/KU/UVA/etc)

The other option if we don't get taken in 2023 is that we back-fill in the ACC for whoever leaves. I think if its 2 from the XII at that point we might be left out of that also

Reaction Score

I think the next tv contract was purposefully designed to only last six years so that the B1G can target some big schools with expansion to join as teams 15 and 16 when GOR's expire in the not too distant future (I'm looking at you Oklahoma).
There is no question for UConn. Delaney with this deal has basically stated who he wants if the B1G expands again. The schools that are there just collecting a paycheck and not contributing to the league will soon become a issue for schools like tOSU and UM. This also throws the gauntlet down on ND. My opinion Delaney is looking at OU, Texas, ND and UNC as his end game.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Here's the type of miracle scenario that about maximizes our value- B1G takes UConn and ND. If you REALLY want to lock up NYC... Rutty alone isn't the answer, take 3 top teams that the city follows and effectively shut out the ACC and anyone else. Choke off BC and Cuse. Incremental gains in NYC and southern NE translate to millions of eyeballs. With a steady rotation of B1G teams in the area you could make bank.

But this is as likely as me winning Powerball.

Reaction Score
Better question: how much time goes by before more and more people stop caring at all?
This. Six years from now ESPN may still only care about the SEC and the rest of the country may not care about college football. This time, Fox had no choice but to overpay. In time, they may decide closing shop as a better alternative.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, I now think that our B1G hopes are all but dashed. We are not AAU; an obstacle that was always there. Now, we are not worth $50M/yr. We had an argument at $30M/yr, albeit very slim. But at $50M/yr, we are officially priced out. There are only a handful of schools that are in that new ballpark that also fit in with the B1G culture and/or expansion plans: Notre Dame, Texas, UNC, FSU, and OU. My guess is that NBC Comcast will win the 2nd half of the B1G bid and figure out the logistics of rolling Notre Dame's current deal in with B1G TV. Who knows how many more they will add in the near future and how many in the distant future. UConn's "P2" hopes rely on either of the following, none of them are very likely:

1. a Hail Mary from the B1G/ND who want to continue their push into the northeast. Would have to include ND wanting to bring along someone from the northeast with them (ready yourself for another arm wrestling match against BC);

2. ESPN/SEC response to the aggressive FOX/B1G markets push and add UConn to gain partial share of northeast and boost basketball profile;

*The more likely scenario for UConn is hope that we are able to hitch a ride on a newly formed allegiance of leftover conference after the B1G/SEC have completed their B12 and ACC raids. This would still be better than the AAC garbage we currently play in, but far from the elite money that powerhouse athletic departments like Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Vanderbilt will generate.

The Big AACC Conference (16 members):
The Big East 3.0 division: BC, UConn, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Miami, Louisville, Cincinnati
The Big 12 3.0 division: TCU, Baylor, KSU, ISU, TT, OSU, BYU, Houston

This conference would probably be valued around $20M/yr per school for football and hoops, if I had to guess. Allow schools to bid out their own T3 rights for a few extra pennies to the highest bidder. FB plays each division member and 3 cross-division games per year. Allows for scheduling 2 OOC games. Hoops plays everyone home and away. Olympic sports farmed out to regional conferences.

If UConn can't hitch a ride in the Big AACC conference, then we should probably give up scholarship sports altogether and go "Public Ivy" route. Use the Rent as a 5K race course 1 or 2x per year. Use Gampel as the official home of our Graduation ceremonies with improved tiles for graduation day photos! Use the XL as Baby Rangers Station. Use Dunkin Donuts Park as the official summertime drunken blackout venue where us Husky fans/alumni can reminisce about the times we "almost got to play competitive sports in our state".

Yes, I'm a bit bummed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Better question: how much time goes by before more and more people stop caring at all?

This is already well underway for me. I've swapped NCAA sports for soccer (of all sorts).

Hope y'all have something you can swap out for.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Have to admit, I'm getting there. If/when the day comes that we are forced to relegate ourselves back to Big East mid-majordom and kill our football program, I will happily (from my bank account's and wife's perspective) cut my cable cord and give up watching college sports.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not trying to pick on you Drew but we are in a poopton of trouble each day that passes with the AAC anchor around our necks. Fighting for scraps that fall off the table will ensure our irrelevancy in the future. We need a g-d miracle.
Poopton, that's just south of Schitzville, right?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This is already well underway for me. I've swapped NCAA sports for soccer (of all sorts).

Hope y'all have something you can swap out for.

Same here. Right now, I'm really grateful I chose the Tottenham Hotspur as my focus. Soccer can be difficult to support in its own way, but at least everyone involved is a transparent money loving horr that would throw theit own parents in front of a moving train to make an extra buck. COYS (and if you know what that means, you are alright with me)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I now think that our B1G hopes are all but dashed. We are not AAU; an obstacle that was always there. Now, we are not worth $50M/yr. We had an argument at $30M/yr, albeit very slim. But at $50M/yr, we are officially priced out. There are only a handful of schools that are in that new ballpark that also fit in with the B1G culture and/or expansion plans: Notre Dame, Texas, UNC, FSU, and OU. My guess is that NBC Comcast will win the 2nd half of the B1G bid and figure out the logistics of rolling Notre Dame's current deal in with B1G TV. Who knows how many more they will add in the near future and how many in the distant future. UConn's "P2" hopes rely on either of the following, none of them are very likely:

1. a Hail Mary from the B1G/ND who want to continue their push into the northeast. Would have to include ND wanting to bring along someone from the northeast with them (ready yourself for another arm wrestling match against BC);

2. ESPN/SEC response to the aggressive FOX/B1G markets push and add UConn to gain partial share of northeast and boost basketball profile;

*The more likely scenario for UConn is hope that we are able to hitch a ride on a newly formed allegiance of leftover conference after the B1G/SEC have completed their B12 and ACC raids. This would still be better than the AAC garbage we currently play in, but far from the elite money that powerhouse athletic departments like Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Vanderbilt will generate.

The Big AACC Conference (16 members):
The Big East 3.0 division: BC, UConn, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Miami, Louisville, Cincinnati
The Big 12 3.0 division: TCU, Baylor, KSU, ISU, TT, OSU, BYU, Houston

This conference would probably be valued around $20M/yr per school for football and hoops, if I had to guess. Allow schools to bid out their own T3 rights for a few extra pennies to the highest bidder. FB plays each division member and 3 cross-division games per year. Allows for scheduling 2 OOC games. Hoops plays everyone home and away. Olympic sports farmed out to regional conferences.

If UConn can't hitch a ride in the Big AACC conference, then we should probably give up scholarship sports altogether and go "Public Ivy" route. Use the Rent as a 5K race course 1 or 2x per year. Use Gampel as the official home of our Graduation ceremonies with improved tiles for graduation day photos! Use the XL as Baby Rangers Station. Use Dunkin Donuts Park as the official summertime drunken blackout venue where us Husky fans/alumni can reminisce about the times we "almost got to play competitive sports in our state".

Yes, I'm a bit bummed.
Oh man, when Dooley loses hope, it ain't good.

dt2.jpg

Reaction Score
Same here. Right now, I'm really grateful I chose the Tottenham Hotspur as my focus. Soccer can be difficult to support in its own way, but at least everyone involved is a transparent money loving horr that would throw theit own parents in front of a moving train to make an extra buck. COYS (and if you know what that means, you are alright with me)

My fiancee is from England, and her team is Liverpool, so my team is Liverpool. :)

Things are looking up in the future for us.

Reaction Score
If we get left out I still think it would be fun to have a bad team and slug it out with the other New england schools in football like the good old days. Create our own regional thing and just have fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom