B1G TV Negotiations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Reaction Score
If we get left out I still think it would be fun to have a bad team and slug it out with the other New england schools in football like the good old days. Create our own regional thing and just have fun.
Let's bring back the good ol Yankee Conference!

Reaction Score
Let's bring back the good ol Yankee Conference!
We play in a hockey conference with most of those schools. Thanks but no thanks. If you need an example go spend some time on the USCHO fan forum in the UNH threads.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We're not bringing back the Yankee Conference. Like it or not the American is our home for the foreseeable future.

Back to the topic at hand- Would the B1G really leave ESPN/ABC entirely? I doubt it. They need the publicity that comes with being on the networks. While being with NBC or CBS or Turner sounds great financially, it might be worth any slight difference in $$ value for the larger exposure on the ESPN networks, especially for the second half of the rights which is what is still up for sale.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do we know for sure that this deal isn't contingent on the B1G picking up UConn to solidify the New York market?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Do we know for sure that this deal isn't contingent on the B1G picking up UConn to solidify the New York market?
No, no we don't know that. Hope springs eternal.

Reaction Score
There is no question for UConn. Delaney with this deal has basically stated who he wants if the B1G expands again. The schools that are there just collecting a paycheck and not contributing to the league will soon become a issue for schools like tOSU and UM.
Yes!!! This to the second power. Purdue & Northwestern are worthless from an athletics standpoint. They wouldn't even be missed except IU/Pur basketball games and a fun trip to Chicago. I think the rest of the schools either 1. Bring a whole state with them or 2. Stand on their own two feet as is the case with Sparty.
Any number of schools would do a better job of adding value and expand the league into new territory. I think the upper limit for the league is 20 and without hesitation I'd say the following schools are in (after the grant of rights and if interest is mutual): Texas, Virginia, Carolina, Georgia Tech, a Florida School (either FSU or Miami).
That only leaves one slot, However if we could extricate ourselves from the aforementioned league parasites then the last three slots would be available for some combination of Duke, Oklahoma, Kansas, Connecticut, and Notre Dame.
Given Notre Dame's insistence on independence... I think they are out.
3/4 odds ain't bad.

Reaction Score
Yes!!! This to the second power. Purdue & Northwestern are worthless from an athletics standpoint. They wouldn't even be missed except IU/Pur basketball games and a fun trip to Chicago. I think the rest of the schools either 1. Bring a whole state with them or 2. Stand on their own two feet as is the case with Sparty.
Any number of schools would do a better job of adding value and expand the league into new territory. I think the upper limit for the league is 20 and without hesitation I'd say the following schools are in (after the grant of rights and if interest is mutual): Texas, Virginia, Carolina, Georgia Tech, a Florida School (either FSU or Miami).
That only leaves one slot, However if we could extricate ourselves from the aforementioned league parasites then the last three slots would be available for some combination of Duke, Oklahoma, Kansas, Connecticut, and Notre Dame.
3/4 odds ain't bad.
That would be a GREAT conference...unfortunately as much as I would love to see UConn in the B1G this new tv deal is a game changer. As @Dooley has said on here several times at $30 Mill UConn can make a case...at $50 mill UConn can't make a case.

Reaction Score
3/4 odds ain't bad.

Never happen, as much as I would love to see NU and PU in the MAC they are in the B1G and not leaving. The only way you boot them is for football to split from the rest of college sports and create a new league. That could mean some kind of 64 team draft for 4 divisions, a mulligan for college football while the current conferences stay as they are for all other sports. This would of course be the exact opposite of what Jim Delany is trying to do by consolidating sports (like Hockey and Lax) under the B1G umbrella. Then there’s that media contracts for college basketball would still mean conferences would be split between the haves and the have nots, we would just be talking about smaller numbers.

Reaction Score
I will go berserk if ND strong-arms the B1G to take BC with them.

We're not joining, they will have to make it on their own merits. No way they add 50-60 million dollars’ worth of value.

Reaction Score
I will go berserk if ND strong-arms the B1G to take BC with them.

Unless its some sort of Catholic guilt thing, it won't happen as ND is just as strong market wise as BC is in Boston and thus doesn't bring any value to ND.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's more than 50-60 million in value.

The league only gets half the BTN money - so you have to bring double the revenue to that party to keep everyone whole.

All the other schools cede network equity to you as well. If the current schools went from 14 to 20 they would lose about a 2% ownership stake to the new schools each.

That only keeps them whole and there is risk that 6 years from now the contracts stop growing.

You also give up games against the Michigans and Ohio States every time you expand. At 20 you'd play 3/4s of the league at home in football once every 6 years.

Reaction Score
BC has a hard enough time winning football & basketball games in the ACC...can you imagine them playing in the B1G.

You could witness the battle of ineptitude every year between Rutgers and BC.

Reaction Score
You could witness the battle of ineptitude every year between Rutgers and BC.
RU isn't even in the same inept league as BC right now. BC reminds me of DePaul, Seton Hall and PC in the BE. They stand there with hand open waiting for that big check to be placed in it and do absolutely nothing to contribute to the funds distributed in that check.

Reaction Score
RU isn't even in the same inept league as BC right now. BC reminds me of DePaul, Seton Hall and PC in the BE. They stand there with hand open waiting for that big check to be placed in it and do absolutely nothing to contribute to the funds distributed in that check.

Agree. You can argue that Rutgers is trying to better itself on and off the playing field - High Point renovations, looking into building a new basketball arena, grabbing Ash from Ohio State etc.

BC is literally sitting there doing nothing. Haven't invested a dime in their facilities in years and have made one incompetent hire after another in Football and Basketball.

BC hit the lottery in 2004 and have been drawing a trust fund check every month ever since while sitting around and not working.

Reaction Score
Agree. You can argue that Rutgers is trying to better itself on and off the playing field - High Point renovations, looking into building a new basketball arena, grabbing Ash from Ohio State etc.

BC is literally sitting there doing nothing. Haven't invested a dime in their facilities in years and have made one incompetent hire after another in Football and Basketball.

BC hit the lottery in 2004 and have been drawing a trust fund check every month ever since while sitting around and not working.
That is a GREAT analogy! Can't be put any better than that!

Reaction Score
3/4 odds ain't bad.

Georgia Tech?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Unsportsmanlike Conduct: The New Fox Deal For The Big Ten

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So assuming that ESPN actually loses the B1G, what does that mean to the American. Better exposure, I would think. Does the value of the AAC content increase?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom