B1G TV Negotiations | Page 13 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree with Fishy that ACC is next in the cross hairs and one of the schools mentioned will likely blink at some point. If/when that happens, it would seem to be that UConn is the 1st and perhaps only real option to backfill. I realize that ACC lacks a network, but that doesn't always need to be the case.

The ACC league office better have done all the analysis so they have a plan when it's time to break the glass.

Really? Because I am worried Cincy or Houston might give us a run for our money. OH and Tx could move the needle.

Reaction Score
I've long thought this is the end game. The B1G and SEC breakaway to become the AFC and NFC of CFB. They'll play 10 games against conference rivals, then 2 or 3 against teams from the other league, and then have a 2 round playoff - east vs west division winners, then B1G vs. SEC for the title. They'll have their own basketball tournament before long too. The reality is the big (football) schools drive the bus and will eventually care very little about sharing a slice of the pie with the NCAA or the FGCU's of the world. Maybe instead of P2 it's more like a much more consolidated P4 of about 60 teams, but the B1G+SEC makes for a nice sized league that can operate like a professional one.
I wonder what the NFL would think of this idea. Can 2 college super leagues provide enough talent to keep them going? I doubt it! They may be forced to start their own minor league program (~baseball, hockey. etc)? Is that what Delany or the SEC wants? This was discussed several decades ago and the current system evolved. Major league baseball, hockey, soccer, and to some extent basketball gets a potion of their players from outside the country. Football is a US sport! The NFL needs a large healthy college football system to supply its player (and fans) needs or they may be forced to reconsider the current system.

Reaction Score
I disagree with your comment. Maine, NH, and the others you mention have nothing to sue for. What have they lost. On the other hand, schools like Uconn have invested hundreds of millions in capital investments to build a FB program. The P5 has essentially taken that and decided to only share with certain schools. The point I think was that if you extrapolate this model out, you'll eventually have more Uconn's (WF, Baylor, Kansas, TT) that have been pushed out in the name of Conference Realignment.

As you start to get state universities involved, (like Utah), the chance for legislative action increases. A school like Kansas that has invested hundreds of millions to compete at the P5 level, suddenly finding their take has been relegated to G5 status so schools like Texas and OU can double their revenue...

v

I don't think anything would happen in court even if it did go that far (which I highly doubt it would go that far). Utah didn't join the PAC 12 because it threatened legal action. Utah joined the PAC 12 because at that point, the PAC had no other viable options to choose from since the Texas deal didn't happen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wonder what the NFL would think of this idea. Can 2 college super leagues provide enough talent to keep them going? I doubt it! They may be forced to start their own minor league program (~baseball, hockey. etc)? Is that what Delany or the SEC wants? This was discussed several decades ago and the current system evolved. Major league baseball, hockey, soccer, and to some extent basketball gets a potion of their players from outside the country. Football is a US sport! The NFL needs a large healthy college football system to supply its player (and fans) needs or they may be forced to reconsider the current system.

I don't think this will substantially change NFL player development via the NCAA system. By and large, NFL prospects are shaped under playing time on the field and not practice squad activity while on the bench. None that will change in my mind in the decades to come. UConn and the entire AAC is loaded with kids who have made the NFL today because of their game time reps where real development happens. Those same kids would likly never have found the draft riding beyond a sea of 4 and 5 star kids at other schools. The promise of actual immediate game time is what spurs many to lesser schools and that situation is not changing. I still think great players will be coming from all the G5 programs are nearly the same pace.

What this will do is just make the have and have nots an extreme situation in terms of on campus toys. It will be "rich kids" and "poor kids," but still NFL prospects all the same.

Reaction Score
I don't think this will substantially change NFL player development via the NCAA system. By and large, NFL prospects are shaped under playing time on the field and not practice squad activity while on the bench. None that will change in my mind in the decades to come. UConn and the entire AAC is loaded with kids who have made the NFL today because of their game time reps where real development happens. Those same kids would likly never have found the draft riding beyond a sea of 4 and 5 star kids at other schools. The promise of actual immediate game time is what spurs many to lesser schools and that situation is not changing. I still think great players will be coming from all the G5 programs are nearly the same pace.

What this will do is just make the have and have nots an extreme situation in terms of on campus toys. It will be "rich kids" and "poor kids," but still NFL prospects all the same.
I think ultimately the poor kids will realize they will never catch up to the rich kids and a reset of sorts will occur. Budgets are tightening, and eventually those have nots are going to realize the futility in the arms race. Schools will want to maximize their bang for the buck, and that occurs on the academic side, not to mention the mission statement of a university doesn't actually include fielding an NFL minor league team unless we're talking about an SEC school. Long term I see less of an emphasis placed on athletics at the schools that are not in the club. Maybe things get back to being about student-athletes versus the run away semi-pro train collegiate athletics have turned into thanks to the corruption from money.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think ultimately the poor kids will realize they will never catch up to the rich kids and a reset of sorts will occur. Budgets are tightening, and eventually those have nots are going to realize the futility in the arms race. Schools will want to maximize their bang for the buck, and that occurs on the academic side, not to mention the mission statement of a university doesn't actually include fielding an NFL minor league team unless we're talking about an SEC school. Long term I see less of an emphasis placed on athletics at the schools that are not in the club. Maybe things get back to being about student-athletes versus the run away semi-pro train collegiate athletics have turned into thanks to the corruption from money.

When the P5 shuts the door fully on the G5, it will hurt as tv time, gate revenues and the thrill of slaying Goliath will evaporate making play feel much more like D1AA or DII. Even then however, there will still be the Carson Wentz, the Khalil Mack and the Byron Jones. All are in the NFL from playing time...time they might not have gotten sitting on the 85 man P5 roster.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't know. I think we are one more major concussion study away from the AMA or a pediatric organization advising parents not to let their children play football. I think the major conferences realize this too, which is why they are looking for a bigger piece of the basketball pie.

I agree. It's the elephant in the room. It feels like it's a matter of time that the concussion issue is addressed. And I don't know how you address it without significantly changing the game.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I agree. It's the elephant in the room. It feels like it's a matter of time that the concussion issue is addressed. And I don't know how you address it without significantly changing the game.

You don't change the game, you call the game like it's supposed to be called and coach like it's supposed to be coached. You stop teaching using the head as a weapon and aiming for the head. Period. Will it stop all concussions? No, but it will reduce the amount and intensity of them. Look at soccer. The concussions in that sport are increasing at an alarming rate. 50% of all female high school soccer players get at least one concussion in their career (75% of all high school football player s will get 1). The US Soccer Federation has banned all headers for kids 11 and under.

The head was never meant to be a weapon, but coaches at higher levels have been using it as a way to separate the ball from the man for many years. The techniques have been trickling down ever since. You have announcers like Chris Spielman who thing the new targeting rules are making the game weaker (I think very highly of Chris Spielman for his play, both with The Lions and The Buckeyes and for how he dealt with his late wife's cancer). They need harsher penalties for those types of plays. Call the game right and many of these concussions will be averted.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the speed of the game and the ability to detect concussions is increasing faster than the efforts to prevent them.

Surely there is someone out there who can design a helmet that will protect against such forces. (My amateur guess is that the hard plastic shell is probably fated to go the way of the dodo.)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is interesting. Prior to reading this I would have said that it is unlikely that you can design against concussion because a big part of the issue is the rapid decelleration that comes from speed of the game. This is interesting but decreasing blood flow from the brain to increase pressure? Seems like it would be problematic.

As I have posted many times. I think that a soft helmet and improved tackling technique would go a long way to decrease concussions. If you give players more tactile feedback from impacts they will naturally avoid them. Back in the day.... (I can hear the groans of every millenial on the board) ... we were taught to wrap people up rather than use ourselves as a projectile. I feel like there were less misses and less injury, FWIW.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Newest Big Ten additions earn different paychecks

According to the Big Ten’s 2015 fiscal year tax statement, Nebraska picked up nearly $19.83 million, while Rutgers received $10.449 million. Those numbers represent projected earnings from their previous conferences at the time they joined the Big Ten.

However, those numbers are significantly less than what Maryland received. The Terrapins took in $24.125 million in Big Ten revenue in 2015, about $4.3 million more than Nebraska and about $14.68 million more than Rutgers. Maryland’s number is based off its likely proceeds as an Atlantic Coast Conference member.

Reaction Score
At a signing day at the Rent several years ago, my son was talking to Warde about helmets, specifically auto racing helmets. I don't think there is anything that presents more force than getting hit in the rear and pushed into the car in front of you. The acceleration and then immediate declaration of the hits bounce your brain around pretty good, also going end over end down the track several times , the head gets whipped around multiple times.

I'm not saying there aren't concussions in racing but events such as above, the EMT's immediately examine the driver in the ambulance, for injuries.and concussion rate is very low.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying there aren't concussions in racing but events such as above, the EMT's immediately examine the driver in the ambulance, for injuries.and concussion rate is very low.

They also have a strap that holds their helmet against the seat, I'm not sure how much give it has. Dale Earnhardt Sr. never liked to wear his, and speculation was that he would have survived wearing it.

Having played rugby, I think half the solution is reduce the amount of padding they have on their bodies too. When you're running around in a suit of armor, it takes a bit more umph to bring someone down. Add in wrapping a player up on the tackle and you'll prevent tons of needless concussions.

Reaction Score
Ronnie, that is true, but it does' stop the head from bouncing around in the helmet, Even strapped to the seat.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Jim Delany: Friday night games coming to the Big Ten

Friday night lights are coming to the Big Ten.

The league’s new television agreements with ESPN/ABC and Fox will include a package of six prime-time Friday games starting in 2017, Commissioner Jim Delany told the Tribune on Wednesday.

The selected games will be revealed this week, as early as Wednesday afternoon.

“All things considered,” Delany said, “we thought it was worthwhile to dip our toe in the water.”

Ohio State or Penn State.

And Michigan is flat-out saying no to Friday night games, both home and road. Delany said he believes the school simply prefers Saturday games for “consistency of presentation.”

Delany said there will be three conference games and three non-league games in September and October. No team will play more than twice.

Reaction Score
I think this is great news for UConn.

With Saturday night games and now Friday night games... That begs for more content and new markets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think this is great news for UConn.

With Saturday night games and now Friday night games... That begs for more content and new markets.

Does it ever occur to you to just stop with your nonsense?

Troll these poor people going forward if you like - but it's sort of cruel.

Reaction Score
Let us in and we will play every game on a Friday night. Or a Wednesday night if they want. Really, any day or time they want and we are game.

Reaction Score
We're on the Big Ten's radar and people here are saying we're screwed and we might have to drop sports, etc. Really? A lot of times, senseless drivel that has no vision, just panicking and whining is posted. Please think before you beeping post. We were just considered by the Big 12, no one else around here made it to the "final cut". A league as far away as the Big 12 was very strongly interested in us, excellent promotion material has been published, money is still being invested in athletic facilities, and some of us think we have no hope. The logic here is completely backwards, sometimes. And Iowa State will be fine. They are not going to shrivel into Wyoming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom