B1G TV Negotiations | Page 11 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only because we didn't get our act together and apply for AAU like 10 years ago.

Maybe prior leadership could have impacted things but UConn to the Big 10 has way bigger challenges than AAU membership.

Reaction Score
You are PAYING for them by having them included by requirement for a "sports package" whether you want to or not. By paying for them, you are supporting conferences that have excluded UConn.

You know it's going to kill me to agree with Whaler, but he's right... out of market viewers are paying *maybe* $1.00-$1.50 a year for the conference networks, some areas even less.

The networks are making most of their money from their regular viewers inside their own geographic footprint. You're not really funding them much. You're just getting extremely low-cost access in case you're an alum or a fan who really wants to watch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From what I've heard, no, it didn't.

Well maybe you've got the one source who has accurate info.

The math looks pretty simple to me though - there aren't enough cable boxes here.

Either way it's silly to be bent
out of shape over the BTN being on TV in Connecticut when this is all a message board creation.

Reaction Score
I would say there are more B1G Alumni in CT that would be outraged at BTN not being available in CT and complain to the cable companies than there are CT residents who would be outraged BTN is included in their sports package.

I have SECN and PAC12N in my package, and I'm not complaining. I don't watch them as much as BTN, but it's great to catch reruns of games you have never seen before when you have watched whatever is currently on the BTN for the 10th time.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The math looks pretty simple to me though - there aren't enough cable boxes here.
And exactly how many are needed, in your opinion?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) You don't really apply to the AAU.

2) We're not really close to the AAU's metrics now, let alone ten years ago.

When the Big Ten first screened candidates prior to inviting Nebraska, UConn was not included. Given that most of those candidates eventually did change conferences, (some to the Big Ten, one to the SEC and some to the ACC), I think we're closer than we were - but the valuation of the current contracts probably eliminates any "small state" school from Big Ten consideration.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And exactly how many are needed, in your opinion?

Way way way more?

Let's put it this way to me there are two legit candidates for the Big Ten and 2 others that would have a chance.

North Carolina
Texas
---huge gap-----
Georgia Tech
Virginia

Oklahoma, Kansas... everyone else... 0.00001% chance.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1) You don't really apply to the AAU.

2) We're not really close to the AAU's metrics now, let alone ten years ago.

When the Big Ten first screened candidates prior to inviting Nebraska, UConn was not included. Given that most of those candidates eventually did change conferences, (some to the Big Ten, one to the SEC and some to the ACC), I think we're closer than we were, the valuation of the current contracts probably eliminates any "small state" school from Big Ten consideration.

So maybe its time to talk about the SEC or any those wacky ACC implosion scenarios. The BIG new tv deal makes anything but the best of the ACC or B12 a near non starter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, our only real scenarios are either the Big 12 if they expand now or the ACC if it gets pulled apart by the Big Ten in 2027. If the ACC and Big 12 both get eviscerated and form up a new misfit toy conference, I suspect we'd be left out of even that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Way way way more?

Let's put it this way to me there are two legit candidates for the Big Ten and 2 others that would have a chance.

North Carolina
Texas
---huge gap-----
Georgia Tech
Virginia

I think you're undervaluing Virginia.

I'd say a clean sweep of UNC, Duke, Virginia and Georgia Tech would be my bet.

CL82

Reaction Score
Way way way more?

North Carolina
Texas
---huge gap-----
Georgia Tech
Virginia

You must have a number a in mind if you dismiss Connecticut as not having enough. How many?

CL82

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, our only real scenarios are either the Big 12 if they expand now or the ACC if it gets pulled apart by the Big Ten in 2027. If the ACC and Big 12 both get eviscerated and form up a new misfit toy conference, I suspect we'd be left out of even that.
Your post is depressing. At some point it doesn't make sense to continue to participate in a spending war that we can't win. Absent a dramatic increase in revenue, it doesn't seem viable to keep chugging along to to 2027.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Your post is depressing. At some point it doesn't make sense to continue to participate in a spending war that we can't win. Absent a dramatic increase in revenue, it doesn't seem viable to keep chugging along to to 2027.

What other choice is there?

Even if it's the American until the end of time, they still gotta spend the money.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The disparity between the Big10/SEC & the ACC/Big12 will hasten the disintegration of the latter.

UNC & UVA want to keep their little group together but they will not be able to rationalize carrying WF & BC's of te world. There is no politically correct to drop teams from a league, they will have to abandon the league.

Texas will want to go their own way, but ESPN will eventually influence/buy their way out of the failing LHN. The money'd programs will be offered a life raft, the others will be relegated.

TV does better by supporting 3 major leagues than trying to keep 5 competitively.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You must have a number a in mind if you dismiss Connecticut as not having enough. How many?

It's Hartford btw - maybe you heard BTN is on in Fairfield Cty already at the higher rate.

Without running any numbers - I can't imagine anywhere that doesn't deliver 5 million cable homes would have a chance - and by 2021 that's going to be really hard to do.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn has the metrics to support a $30M/yr buy in to any conference today. It does not have the metrics to support a $50M/yr buy in, which is where the B1G sits these days. UConn's best bets to get out of this hell are the B12 or ACC. Both of those conferences are currently playing in our ballpark.

The good news for UConn is that there is only 1 other G5 school that can support a $30M/yr buy-in today: BYU.

Reaction Score

Since it doesn't look like the B12 will be expanding now or considering UCONN if it does (is this true?), UCONN looks to be in Big Trouble as I don't think we have the resources to keep spending at our current rate until the year 2027 when the ACC GOR are up.

Any way you look at it, UCONN is in serious trouble. I hate to say it but that's what it seems like.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Way way way more?

North Carolina
Texas
---huge gap-----
Georgia Tech
Virginia

Tend to agree. I think the pool of potential B1G candidates has shrunk considerably. Texas, Notre Dame, UNC, and UVA. I think that B1G ADs would consider two more schools if paired up with a "grand prize" candidate: Oklahoma with Texas; Florida State with UNC. OU has very poor academic metrics though and that would be a stretch consideration for B1G Presidents to swallow. FSU is in better shape academically than OU and would give B1G ADs the football recruiting ground to salivate over, but they wouldn't be continuous if paired with UNC.

At the end of the day, I think the B1G will just stick to the 4: Texas, ND, UNC and UVA. But probably not until this new FOX deal expires.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Since it doesn't look like the B12 will be expanding now or considering UCONN if it does (is this true?), UCONN looks to be in Big Trouble as I don't think we have the resources to keep spending at our current rate until the year 2027 when the ACC GOR are up.

Any way you look at it, UCONN is in serious trouble. I hate to say it but that's what it seems like.

Big trouble would be an understatement. If UConn can't secure a spot in the B12 (if they do expand), then we will all probably hear our phones ring off the hook for the next 5-10 years. Whatever can't be paid for with donor/alumni/fan donations will face budget cuts or outright cut.

The only thing to take solace in is that UConn is continuing to bet on itself. We have a dream team of ADs in place now. We just acquired more parking land to accommodate Rentschler expansion. We have plans for private funding of baseball and soccer stadiums. We just completed the Werth Basketball Champions Center. We gave Coach Diaco a contract extension with pay raise (which he generously donated part of back to the university for the afore-mentioned baseball/soccer projects). We recently gave Coach Ollie a raise/extension and nobody in the entire country comes close to paying its WBB coach as much as we pay ours.

There's two ways to spin it - UConn is in serious trouble and needs a significant subsidy, which it can't continue to support, to keep up; UConn is demonstrating a genuine belief that they have a landing spot in the near future by continuing to invest so heavily in its athletics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tend to agree. I think the pool of potential B1G candidates has shrunk considerably. Texas, Notre Dame, UNC, and UVA. I think that B1G ADs would consider two more schools if paired up with a "grand prize" candidate: Oklahoma with Texas; Florida State with UNC. OU has very poor academic metrics though and that would be a stretch consideration for B1G Presidents to swallow. FSU is in better shape academically than OU and would give B1G ADs the football recruiting ground to salivate over, but they wouldn't be continuous if paired with UNC.

At the end of the day, I think the B1G will just stick to the 4: Texas, ND, UNC and UVA. But probably not until this new FOX deal expires.

UNC and Texas have no reason to bring OU or FSU.

I don't think the Big Ten would consider FSU. I don't think OU has the academics and they don't move the needle financially.

Gun to my head right now I'd say it's only 50/50 they expand by 2025. Someone is going to have to figure out how to monetize streaming outside of television contracts otherwise leagues will be looking to contract not expand.

It's going to have to be a big delta to move UNC or Texas or UVA because they would much rather stay where they. UNC and Texas are dominant alphas where they have disproportinate amounts of power. That is hard to walk away from to join a very different culture.

ND I don't think will ever join the Big Ten. Fishy is right Duke could be in a conversation.

I don't think the money to move them past 16 will be there though.

To me it's 50/50 they do nothing.
35% it's UNC & UVA/GTech
15% it's UNC & Texas

Reaction Score
The ACC was stupid when it came to expansion. Adding private schools and schools in states within the footprint where an ACC team already in existence. The B1G knew why adding Rutgers was important. The ACC could have had Rutgers ten years ago. It went with Boston College instead. Had the ACC added Rutgers and looked at a TV network back when BTN started, Maryland might still be in the ACC today. Losing the state of MD was a death nail to any possible ACC Network. Louisville adds no support there. Nor do Pittsburgh or Syracuse.

Reaction Score
If there's any upside for UConn in this it is that those in ACC country can finally drop the fantasy of pulling in a State Penn or even a Northwestern/Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas and start to look at this realistically. I don't think a network would be precluded with the footprint currently in place but adding a UConn would make it much easier to justify starting one. One, the school is in the same tri-state area as RU and two, has a more successful program to profit off of.

Speaking of RU, they are sure getting ripped off right now. But on the other hand, those fans in Indiana, Ohio and Michigan would have to watch their teams play games in Piscataway for years on out. :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom