B1G TV Negotiations | Page 14 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Reaction Score
We're on the Big Ten's radar and people here are saying we're screwed and we might have to drop sports, etc. Really? A lot of times, senseless drivel that has no vision, just panicking and whining is posted. Please think before you beeping post. We were just considered by the Big 12, no one else around here made it to the "final cut". A league as far away as the Big 12 was very strongly interested in us, excellent promotion material has been published, money is still being invested in athletic facilities, and some of us think we have no hope. The logic here is completely backwards, sometimes. And Iowa State will be fine. They are not going to shrivel into Wyoming.

While you have no firm reason for optimism, I actually agree. Our time will come.

Reaction Score
While you have no firm reason for optimism, I actually agree. Our time will come.
Trends. And trends completely favor UConn. UMass-Amherst might even have hope but that remains to be seen. But UConn now has historic status; history has a place in the future.

Reaction Score
I think the speed of the game and the ability to detect concussions is increasing faster than the efforts to prevent them.

Surely there is someone out there who can design a helmet that will protect against such forces. (My amateur guess is that the hard plastic shell is probably fated to go the way of the dodo.)
Go back to No Helmets or maybe the old leather ones. Less pads too. No protection no crazy hits. You see the same in baseball. Arm, leg and face protection allows batter to crowd the plate. Something he would not do without it...too dangerous.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Trends. And trends completely favor UConn. UMass-Amherst might even have hope but that remains to be seen. But UConn now has historic status; history has a place in the future.
Trends?

Miami, VTech to ACC, UConn not invited.
BC to ACC, UConn not invited.
Syracuse, Pitt to the ACC, UConn not invited.
Rutgers, Maryland to B1G, UConn not invited.
Louisville to the ACC, UConn not invited.
Big 12 considers and then drops expansion plans, UConn not invited.

Yeah, I'm not feeling great about trends.

Reaction Score
Trends?

Miami, VTech to ACC, UConn not invited.
BC to ACC, UConn not invited.
Syracuse, Pitt to the ACC, UConn not invited.
Rutgers, Maryland to B1G, UConn not invited.
Louisville to the ACC, UConn not invited.
Big 12 considers and then drops expansion plans, UConn not invited.

Yeah, I'm not feeling great about trends.
Welcome to hazing. What a self entitled fanbase we are.

Reaction Score
My belief has been that we would be called up when ESPN allowed it. I continue to believe that it will happen when it makes sense for a conference to take us based on network opportunities (ie. ESPN/FOX make it worthwhile). ESPN will ride UCONN and the AAC gravy train as long as they can, but a time will come when they will need to pay us or move us elsewhere.

UConn will need to be very aggressive with both the conference and ESPN in the next go round. I can live with an AAC schedule as long as we get enough money to compete at the highest level and we schedule well OOC. If that can't be accomplished, we need to play chicken with everyone and make firm, public plans to go indy/CUSA etc. in football and move all other sports to the Big East. We are a short time away from reckoning day and we'd better have a plan in place to: a. make a serious stand and negotiate our pay and b. win a lot of football games so we won't be laughed out of the room.

I think we have a big problem on our hands but I also believe it it is something we can take better control of. I am going to remain positive and believe that our leadership is sharp enough to figure it out. I've been disappointed in the past but we have an awful lot of brain power on our side right now.

Reaction Score
B1G announces schedule for Friday night games in 2017

Screen-Shot-2016-11-08-at-3.12.37-PM.png

Every game will be televised on either ESPN or Fox, as part of the conference’s new TV deal.

Reaction Score
Based on tonight's election results, I am calling it, UVA and UConn to the Big Ten in the next round.

Reaction Score
Based on tonight's election results, I am calling it, UVA and UConn to the Big Ten in the next round.
No joke, I had a dream 2 nights ago that this happened. Was pissed when I woke up. This is my life now.

Reaction Score

Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin went red. What does that mean, again?

Reaction Score
Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin went red. What does that mean, again?
@Fishy, ACC troll alert.

:(

Illinois went blue. The Big Ten is headquartered in Chicago. A stronger bridge needs to be created. :p

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Big Ten confirms TV deals with CBS, ESPN, FOX at Media Days

In his opening remarks at Big Ten Media Days on Monday, conference commissioner Jim Delany mentioned the new contracts. The conference had not commented on the TV agreements in the 13 months since Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand reported ESPN had bought “essentially half” of the Big Ten’s remaining media rights package. FOX has the other half of the package for an average of $240 million per year. Ourand also reported CBS had told the conference it would renew its basketball-only deal, also for the remaining six years, at $10 million per year.

Like Fox Sports, ESPN will have around 25 football games and 50 basketball games each year — programming that will provide big ratings and an advertiser-friendly audience of diehard alumni in some of the country’s biggest media markets.

The difference between the two packages is that Fox Sports will carry the Big Ten football championship game every season, which is a strong draw each December. Fox also will have game selection advantages over ESPN, which almost certainly means that the coveted Michigan-Ohio State rivalry will move to Fox most years.

The deal nets the conference $2.64 billion over six years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big Ten confirms TV deals with CBS, ESPN, FOX at Media Days

In his opening remarks at Big Ten Media Days on Monday, conference commissioner Jim Delany mentioned the new contracts. The conference had not commented on the TV agreements in the 13 months since Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand reported ESPN had bought “essentially half” of the Big Ten’s remaining media rights package. FOX has the other half of the package for an average of $240 million per year. Ourand also reported CBS had told the conference it would renew its basketball-only deal, also for the remaining six years, at $10 million per year.

Like Fox Sports, ESPN will have around 25 football games and 50 basketball games each year — programming that will provide big ratings and an advertiser-friendly audience of diehard alumni in some of the country’s biggest media markets.

The difference between the two packages is that Fox Sports will carry the Big Ten football championship game every season, which is a strong draw each December. Fox also will have game selection advantages over ESPN, which almost certainly means that the coveted Michigan-Ohio State rivalry will move to Fox most years.

The deal nets the conference $2.64 billion over six years.
This is what about $30M a year per school? And that's not counting any BTN revenue.

I hate the American.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom