B1G media rights deal. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

B1G media rights deal.

Reaction Score
None of this makes any sense. Reduce the number of teams at the big boys table to 32-40 and alienate everyone else. The student-athletes at the other 90+ programs, many of whom will go pro, deserve better than that.

Reaction Score
None of this makes any sense. Reduce the number of teams at the big boys table to 32-40 and alienate everyone else. The student-athletes at the other 90+ programs, many of whom will go pro, deserve better than that.
But that's not Ohio State's or Alabama's problem. If you're the B1G or $EC, why wouldn't you want to separate from the rest of the pack?

Reaction Score
But that's not Ohio State's or Alabama's problem. If you're the B1G or $EC, why wouldn't you want to separate from the rest of the pack?
They are making the pack smaller but who really gains from that. Does Ohio State really gain? I guess we'll see if they fare better by possibly losing more?

Reaction Score
"Deserve better than that"? This is the USA. You get what you earn, not what some blogger thinks you "deserve". What is "fair earnings" is what a willing seller and willing buyer agree to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reaction Score
"Deserve better than that"? This is the USA. You get what you earn, not what some blogger thinks you "deserve". What is "fair earnings" is what a willing seller and willing buyer agree to. Nothing more, nothing less.
College football isn't a free market. It's which players a coach decides he wants. I'm saying there are going to be plenty of blue-chippers out there playing outside the big 2 who deserve a better experience than being relegated to also ran status.

Reaction Score
College football isn't a free market. It's which players a coach decides he wants. I'm saying there are going to be plenty of blue-chippers out there playing outside the big 2 who deserve a better experience than being relegated to also ran status.

I think the new rules will see fewer blue chippers outside of the P2 and Notre Dame. Think about this ---- a hot unknown QB has a standout season at any school not in the P2. Purdue may need a !QB. Mississippi State may need a QB. Purdue and Mississippi State are paying their players $XXX,XXX per year and their players have access to the top NIL deals in the country due to their unprecedented conference media coverage. Is that top QB going to stick around his old school knowing how much money he could be making playing for a B1G or SEC school that wants him? Even the lesser schools in those conferences? Not many will turn that money down.

This is setting up for all schools in the B1G and SEC to have all-star rosters. Even if both conferences have to have schools finish with losing records simply from playing each other, those rosters are going to be stacked.

Reaction Score
It has been that way for a while....even before NIL. Talent has been getting concentrated.

Eight years ago Jake Coker (QB) transferred to Bama from FSU and won a national championship for Alabama. Landon Dickerson, star O lineman, transferred from FSU and started for Bama in a national championship season.

In 2022, a total of 9 Alabama players are projected by Draft Wire to go in the first two nrounds of the 2023 draft....amazing group of talent.

Reaction Score
I think the new rules will see fewer blue chippers outside of the P2 and Notre Dame. Think about this ---- a hot unknown QB has a standout season at any school not in the P2. Purdue may need a !QB. Mississippi State may need a QB. Purdue and Mississippi State are paying their players $XXX,XXX per year and their players have access to the top NIL deals in the country due to their unprecedented conference media coverage. Is that top QB going to stick around his old school knowing how much money he could be making playing for a B1G or SEC school that wants him? Even the lesser schools in those conferences? Not many will turn that money down.

This is setting up for all schools in the B1G and SEC to have all-star rosters. Even if both conferences have to have schools finish with losing records simply from playing each other, those rosters are going to be stacked.
And if/when this happens, what will enable it to happen/happen faster is instant eligibility for transfers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF

Reaction Score
And here is something else to consider….

The B1G is likely to go to a ten game conference schedule when additional schools are added.

The SEC is already talking about going to a nine game schedule as a 16 member conference. Will they go to ten games as well as they play catch-up to the B1G when adding more teams?

This does two things - It gives those conferences more money from additional inventory and it creates fewer opportunities for non P2 schools to schedule these teams and get a decent paycheck out of it.

Reaction Score

I get all that but I'm not really sold on that happening. A kid could be having a great year for the Hokies, the Sun Devils, or the Zips. Places like Mississippi State should already be stacked. The Zipper may want to move up and get his arse kicked week in and week out by Alabama and Georgia, but I don't know if a kid is gonna leave Phoenix for MS. Maybe the publicity of winning a lesser conference championship is better than cash today playing for a cellar dweller. I don't know. I still contend none of it makes any sense.

Reaction Score
I get all that but I'm not really sold on that happening. A kid could be having a great year for the Hokies, the Sun Devils, or the Zips. Places like Mississippi State should already be stacked. The Zipper may want to move up and get his arse kicked week in and week out by Alabama and Georgia, but I don't know if a kid is gonna leave Phoenix for MS. Maybe the publicity of winning a lesser conference championship is better than cash today playing for a cellar dweller. I don't know. I still contend none of it makes any sense.
If a kid who grew up poor and does not come from money has money handed to him if he joins certain schools, most likely the kid is going to take the money offer.

If a kid is from a wealthy family, maybe he has to think about it a day or two longer than the poor kid, but he will likely come to the same decision.

Reaction Score
If a kid who grew up poor and does not come from money has money handed to him if he joins certain schools, most likely the kid is going to take the money offer.

If a kid is from a wealthy family, maybe he has to think about it a day or two longer than the poor kid, but he will likely come to the same decision.

Reaction Score

-> “I feel like when we added the two that we added, it made sense. It had a lot of momentum behind it,” Barta said Thursday. “I’ve not yet heard anything that would get me at Iowa — I’m just speaking for Iowa — excited to say, ‘Let’s continue to expand more.’ So, I don’t feel like it’s a hot button. But that’s one person’s opinion. I won’t speak for the conference.

“Whatever upside Iowa will receive from the new TV contract, I’m certainly not going to be interested in supporting additional expansion, if that means Iowa would get less. That’s just one criteria, but that’s an important one.” <-

Reaction Score
"Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said it appears there is little interest in further expansion and there will be opposition if it means a revenue drop for membership."

Translation: "Yes, we are adding more PAC-12 schools, but we can't come out and say that right now because we have to negotiate how much money we will pay them. They aren't getting full shares."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

How long do people really think the NFL and NBA would allow the P2 to make billions from being a minor league before those two pro leagues would crush college athletics? 100+ football programs and 350 basketball programs is hard to replace. 32 in total? The pro leagues could wipe them out in a year.

Reaction Score

Because you might kill the golden goose if you alienate too many fans. Also its not like the rest of the pack will just go away, they will probably form their own division and compete. Maybe they will call themselves amateur college athletics.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because you might kill the golden goose if you alienate too many fans. Also its not like the rest of the pack will just go away, they will probably form their own division and compete. Maybe they will call themselves amateur college athletics.

So the calculation is increased interest of the hard-core fans of the teams inside the new power sphere vs decreased interest of casual sports fans due to a smaller, more dense sphere.
The calculation is straight forward. It's assigning the value to those variables that is the art and science.
Seems like advertising and promotion has definitely trended towards active participants rather than carpet bombing a larger audience and seeing who is interested in a product.

Seems like "Big Tech" invest billions of dollars trying to target each person's needs and wants rather than just promoting products across their users.

Reaction Score
How long do people really think the NFL and NBA would allow the P2 to make billions from being a minor league before those two pro leagues would crush college athletics? 100+ football programs and 350 basketball programs is hard to replace. 32 in total? The pro leagues could wipe them out in a year.
The NBA, and NFL, and Baseball aren't going to sit by and let these colleges continue to be tax exempt, while they have to pay taxes.
Their will be a day of reckoning very soon for these schools, the tax man comes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the calculation is increased interest of the hard-core fans of the teams inside the new power sphere vs decreased interest of casual sports fans due to a smaller, more dense sphere.
The calculation is straight forward. It's assigning the value to those variables that is the art and science.
Seems like advertising and promotion has definitely trended towards active participants rather than carpet bombing a larger audience and seeing who is interested in a product.

Seems like "Big Tech" invest billions of dollars trying to target each person's needs and wants rather than just promoting products across their users.
Hard-core fans are the market. No one is designing an advertising campaign targeting people who might stop and watch a play as they click through channels looking for Golden Girls reruns.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The NBA, and NFL, and Baseball aren't going to sit by and let these colleges continue to be tax exempt, while they have to pay taxes.
Their will be a day of reckoning very soon for these schools, the tax man comes.

Will they? If they are show they are nonprofit, will the tax man come? If they show that the money is spent entirely on the program or the general fund, is it really for profit?

The tax man also has to prove they aren’t non profit anymore. This isn’t a case where they have the average American that claimed way too much or set up a non profit they take money god themselves. They are huge organizations with many levels of lawyers and very influential alumni/donors (who use donations to universities as a tax shelter). Many would fight that tooth and nail. Politicians don’t want to ruffle the feathers of those they want to vote for them. Look at the UCLA situation. Then, what is the limit? Do you revoke the non profit designation for athletic departments? Are D2 and D3 athletic departments now taxable? If not, where’s the line?

The NBA and NFL get a free training league they don’t have to pay a dime for. Are they really going to shut that down?

Could the tax man come? I guess, but my guess is that the universities are safe.

Reaction Score
The B1G caters to its alumni, and they have a lot of them. We're talking schools with alumni bases of over half a million people, and that quickly adds up. When your schools enroll 40-50,000 (plus whatever they have at branch campuses), you can churn out an army of people to watch games and buy stuff advertised during those games every year. They're not worried about us. No one was watching the rest of the pack anyway. The B1G will have games on every major network except ABC (as of now) and BTN every Saturday from noon until after midnight and multiple games per week in prime time. The golden goose has landed at the B1G headquarters.

For the rest of the pack that doesn't want to participate in the college athletic arms race, maybe it makes sense for those schools to kick the money out of sports, have smaller regional/local conferences with small AD budgets, and implement very strict amateur rules. In that case you might not have the most talented players on the field or court, but at least they will be actual student-athletes.

Reaction Score

-> “I feel like when we added the two that we added, it made sense. It had a lot of momentum behind it,” Barta said Thursday. “I’ve not yet heard anything that would get me at Iowa — I’m just speaking for Iowa — excited to say, ‘Let’s continue to expand more.’ So, I don’t feel like it’s a hot button. But that’s one person’s opinion. I won’t speak for the conference.

“Whatever upside Iowa will receive from the new TV contract, I’m certainly not going to be interested in supporting additional expansion, if that means Iowa would get less. That’s just one criteria, but that’s an important one.” <-

Give him credit for being honest about his bold-faced greed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The B1G caters to its alumni, and they have a lot of them. We're talking schools with alumni bases of over half a million people, and that quickly adds up. When your schools enroll 40-50,000 (plus whatever they have at branch campuses), you can churn out an army of people to watch games and buy stuff advertised during those games every year. They're not worried about us. No one was watching the rest of the pack anyway. The B1G will have games on every major network except ABC (as of now) and BTN every Saturday from noon until after midnight and multiple games per week in prime time. The golden goose has landed at the B1G headquarters.

For the rest of the pack that doesn't want to participate in the college athletic arms race, maybe it makes sense for those schools to kick the money out of sports, have smaller regional/local conferences with small AD budgets, and implement very strict amateur rules. In that case you might not have the most talented players on the field or court, but at least they will be actual student-athletes.

As the P2 effectively become minor leagues, what will the NFL and NBA do? Just let the P2 continue to make billions? What if the NBA really went all in on the G-League, and passed a rule that if you go to college, then you can't be eligible for the draft until after your junior year of college? Where would the top players go, G-League or college? College basketball could become college baseball with the snap of the NBA's fingers. Why couldn't the NFL do the same thing?

The things that made college sports special, a lot of schools with student-athletes who were involved with the university competing with each other, are going away. If the P2 have their way, there will be a handful of schools with top level talent that they are getting from other schools, and the rest of the schools will be irrelevant. Walk through the Game Theory of that situation. The NFL and NBA can just step in and say "play for us instead".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom