B1G media rights deal. | The Boneyard

B1G media rights deal.

Reaction Score
Well the B1G has their new media rights package starting in 2023. Very interesting and telling that they placed a huge importance on linear television to broadcast their games. It will be in stark contrast to the deal the SEC has with ESPN/ABC which the majority of the games will be on the cable networks.

B1G will have set game times of noon, 3:30, and primetime every Saturday. This will be a huge benefit for Notre Dame as NBC will have the prime game for the B1G and can cross promote both Notre Dame and the B1G During the primetime matchups.

The money for each school from this new deal is significant. I think the commitment to linear television is a good way to go. Streaming is the future, but having games on linear television is still hugely important as you can still watch games without subscribing to a cable/satellite network. This removes a significant amount of inventory from ESPN both in football and college basketball.

It will be interesting to see if Fox goes after the Big-12 and Pac-10. If they do, they can really confine the SEC and the ACC to the southeast. With the steady decline of cable and satellite subscriptions the deal that the ACC and SEC have with ESPN/ABC may not be as stable as it appears? In a few more years the GOR will become less and less of an obstacle for a valuable property in the ACC and they could potentially be looking to jump ship to the B1G?

Overall, I think this is good news for UConn. CBS has a 3:30 Broadcast game every Saturday and they will help promote our product through highlights and such. It should also help with scheduling B1G games as they would have rights to both home and away games involving us and the B1G.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

This part of the article is just astounding to me:

When USC and UCLA join the Big Ten in 2024, each of the 16 Big Ten schools will receive an average of $75 million annually from media rights. That does not include revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games or the NCAA Tournament, which can vary from school-to-school. All media rights deals are typically backloaded, peaking in the final years of the agreements.

The SEC is expected to have a similar payout when its new contract with ESPN begins in 2024. Based on projected payouts of the remaining eight FBS conferences, those two leagues will be ahead of the other Power Five conferences with payouts earning their programs at least $30 million more annually.

"It's P2 [Power Two] and everybody else," said an FBS source familiar with TV negotiations. "I don't know why anybody is using P5 [Power Five] anymore."

It's just surreal at how the rest of CFB can even keep up.

Reaction Score
I saw this on another forum:

Annual national media revenue, per reports of deals:
NFL: $10B per year
EPL: $4.2B per year
NBA: $2.6B per year
MLB: $1.96B per year
BIG TEN: $1.07B per year
NHL: $625M per year
SEC: $588M per year

Reaction Score
I saw this on another forum:

Annual national media revenue, per reports of deals:
NFL: $10B per year
EPL: $4.2B per year
NBA: $2.6B per year
MLB: $1.96B per year
BIG TEN: $1.07B per year
NHL: $625M per year
SEC: $588M per year
I don't think this includes the SEC deal with Disney for the Saturday afternoon "Game of the Week".

That will add another $300MM/year to this

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This part of the article is just astounding to me:

It's just surreal at how the rest of CFB can even keep up.

FWIW, a lot of the Internet experts were claiming the Big 10 would get $100MM+ per team.

Also, the athletic programs don't get to spend all that money on their programs. Money is fungible, and one way or another the schools can tap into that revenue stream for other things.

Reaction Score
I don't think this includes the SEC deal with Disney for the Saturday afternoon "Game of the Week".

That will add another $300MM/year to this
I think it does. The SEC got a $3 billion/10 year contract for everything starting in 2024 to coincide with the CBS contract ending. That covers the Game of the Week. I think the Texas/Oklahoma addition opened up the contract for adjustment. I hadn't seen what it was, but maybe the $588 million is the new figure. Though I don't think the $3 billion contract includes the SEC Network, which is a 50/50 endeavor with ESPN.

Which to me means the SEC needs to expand again. I suggest making a pit stop in Chapel Hill first, just saying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They will get that much at the end. The contract is backloaded.

2023 will be the lowest revenue of the seven year contract for two reasons:

1. USC and UCLA do not join until 2024. 2023 revenue is only for the 14 other schools media rights.

2. CBS is only partially covering the B1G in 2023 due to the final year of their SEC contract. CBS will be “all in” in 2024.

Also, this media contract does not include the revenue from: CFP, bowl games, NCAA basketball tournament or revenues from BTN. I have not read anything yet on how much revenue BTN will provide the schools. I guess it will depend on new contract agreements with cable operators throughout the state of California.

Reaction Score
I think it does. The SEC got a $3 billion/10 year contract for everything starting in 2024 to coincide with the CBS contract ending. That covers the Game of the Week. I think the Texas/Oklahoma addition opened up the contract for adjustment. I hadn't seen what it was, but maybe the $588 million is the new figure. Though I don't think the $3 billion contract includes the SEC Network, which is a 50/50 endeavor with ESPN.

Which to me means the SEC needs to expand again. I suggest making a pit stop in Chapel Hill first, just saying.

Reading it again now, and I was wrong. The $3 billion was just for the old CBS package. ESPN and the SEC had an older 20-year deal already in-place. So maybe nearly $900 million is close to right, though again I don’t know if Texas/Oklahoma have been factored in.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The B1G contract can increase in value up to $10 billion depending on future expansion.

Assuming Notre Dame remains independent, that leaves Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington as the four schools that could possibly join in the immediate future.

Do you think the B1G stays at 16? Adds all four PAC schools, or adds 2 of the 4?

Reaction Score

The B1G will have future discussions on playing 10 conference games each season rather than 9. This move would increase media rights revenue.

The B1G will no longer schedule conference games years in advance. The conference schedule for the next season will be released in October of the previous season. This gives network partners more of a say in creating compelling television matchups for the following season.

And what’s been talked about for some time, the B1G possibly eliminating divisions in football and deciding how to handle tiebreakers for qualifying for the championship game if they go that route.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hard for me to understand some of the negativity coming out of New Jersey. I am sure any non B1G school would gladly trade places with Rutgers. They are the luckiest school in America.
Personally, I think Rutgers should leave the Big Ten and focus on local rivalries and academics. Let the Big Ten find another school from a state that has a major presence in the NYCDMA.

Saved By The Bell Shrug GIF

Reaction Score
They will get that much at the end. The contract is backloaded.

2023 will be the lowest revenue of the seven year contract for two reasons:

1. USC and UCLA do not join until 2024. 2023 revenue is only for the 14 other schools media rights.

2. CBS is only partially covering the B1G in 2023 due to the final year of their SEC contract. CBS will be “all in” in 2024.

Also, this media contract does not include the revenue from: CFP, bowl games, NCAA basketball tournament or revenues from BTN. I have not read anything yet on how much revenue BTN will provide the schools. I guess it will depend on new contract agreements with cable operators throughout the state of California.
BIGN normally provides around $140mm per year. So, divide that by 16.

Reaction Score
The B1G contract can increase in value up to $10 billion depending on future expansion.

Assuming Notre Dame remains independent, that leaves Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington as the four schools that could possibly join in the immediate future.

Do you think the B1G stays at 16? Adds all four PAC schools, or adds 2 of the 4?
Warren told Bryant Gumbal that they are going to 20 schools and will start to pay the players as well.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Warren told Bryant Gumbal that they are going to 20 schools and will start to pay the players as well.
He didn’t stop stop at 20. He said perpetual and future growth. That leaves the door open for much more.

D597A0C3-8FC7-4894-8B35-E1BFCC2FD9C3.jpeg

Reaction Score
Sounds like the NFL. In 30 years this is going to devolve into expansions fees for new members isn't it?

Reaction Score
Interesting to me reading the article in the Courant was the dozens of BIG basketball games m and w being moved to Peacock in 2023. UConn left the AAC for a lot of reasons but the ESPN+ nonsense I think really drove the bus. Now we see a Power 2 conference deferring to the media giants on content available for fans. The draft method for the networks for which game they get to broadcast is also a real change. Brave new world here.

Reaction Score
Interesting to me reading the article in the Courant was the dozens of BIG basketball games m and w being moved to Peacock in 2023. UConn left the AAC for a lot of reasons but the ESPN+ nonsense I think really drove the bus. Now we see a Power 2 conference deferring to the media giants on content available for fans. The draft method for the networks for which game they get to broadcast is also a real change. Brave new world here.
In July of this year, people watched more streamed content than cable content for the first time. The trend towards streaming is clearly in place and in 5 years the migration to streaming will be even more pronounced. ESPN faces a difficult task of moving their subscriber base to streaming AND keeping their revenues flat due to their high captive cable pricing.

As for the ESPN+ issue for UConn with the AAC, the AD knows the trend is towards streaming and the ESPN+ issue was used as another point to move to the Big East. With what has happened to the AAC in the last year, clearly leaving the AAC was the right decision.

One more point, with the shift to streaming, brands have become more important than markets which should be a LT positive for UConn.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Read this as well. I can't see them grabbing 4 more teams. ND has an open invite. Who they'd pair with them is where it becomes interesting....if they take another school out west, it would be the only way I see them going to 20. If they took ND and Stanford, they wouldn't stop at three west coast schools when they can grab UW and Oregon.

I know the ACC GOR has been dissected a billion times but for a few billion more dollars, you gotta think something can be done to pry a UNC or UVA away from the ACC to join the B1G

Reaction Score
I see the narratives being driven....and the multi-network strategy by the B10 should serve them well.

All week long viewers of Comcast's (NBC) suite of channels, Paramount's suite of channels, and FOX's suite of channels will see ads, spots, and sponsored content for B10 games and messaging re: the B10 being the national conference.

The SEC (and ACC) will be promoted on Disney's large suite of channels. The strength of the SEC will be pontificated upon.

With fewer and fewer interdivisional matches during season, the narratives will form. Leading, over time to the WWE hype of the B1G vs SEC and the champs meeting in a heavily publicized cage match for the belt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom