B1G media rights deal. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G media rights deal.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I see the narratives being driven....and the multi-network strategy by the B10 should serve them well.

All week long viewers of Comcast's (NBC) suite of channels, Paramount's suite of channels, and FOX's suite of channels will see ads, spots, and sponsored content for B10 games and messaging re: the B10 being the national conference.

The SEC (and ACC) will be promoted on Disney's large suite of channels. The strength of the SEC will be pontificated upon.

With fewer and fewer interdivisional matches during season, the narratives will form. Leading, over time to the WWE hype of the B1G vs SEC and the champs meeting in a heavily publicized cage match for the belt.
Hands down this is where we are headed. If you aren't in the P2, you are not going to be invited to the final dance. Schools are now at the mercy of the SEC and B1G and whether or not they are added to the future of CFB.

Reaction Score
With the way things are going in the financial world going anytime in the next ten years could be very bad.
Expound. I don’t see any reason to say that unless you believe fandom is in decline.

Reaction Score
Expound. I don’t see any reason to say that unless you believe fandom is in decline.
Streaming may not have the money they are currently burning through now. And how nil affects the public’s appetite for college sports will certainly be put to the test. It’s smart if it works, but it’s a missed opportunity if it doesn’t. Though I guess baggerbob might be hinting at inflation/recession lingering or something, though 8 years seems pretty far in advance.

I think it’s the smart play to be honest given the Big 10 fundamentals. There is some risk, but likely not enough to warrant more than a passing thought.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Streaming may not have the money they are currently burning through now. And how nil affects the public’s appetite for college sports will certainly be put to the test. It’s smart if it works, but it’s a missed opportunity if it doesn’t. Though I guess baggerbob might be hinting at inflation/recession lingering or something, though 8 years seems pretty far in advance.
This is an ever increasing paying market in an inflationary environment. My guess is the only way these numbers go down in the future is if they ruin college sports, which is a strong possibility.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s weird that with all this P2 talk that the Big 10 and SEC are the only conferences that matter, not a single D1 football school has announced they were terminating their athletic program since the Big 10 announced expansion. Can’t the AD at Wake or Arizona State read news articles and message boards? Don’t they know it is over and that every athletic program outside the SEC and Big 10 is finished? Why are they even bothering to get out of bed in the morning?

Reaction Score
It’s weird that with all this P2 talk that the Big 10 and SEC are the only conferences that matter, not a single D1 football school has announced they were terminating their athletic program since the Big 10 announced expansion. Can’t the AD at Wake or Arizona State read news articles and message boards? Don’t they know it is over and that every athletic program outside the SEC and Big 10 is finished? Why are they even bothering to get out of bed in the morning?
Sure they still exist. But they are about to be bumped down a notch in the pecking order. Much like Army, Navy, Harvard, Yale, SMU and Rice were over the years.

Reaction Score
Was that sarc?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sure they still exist. But they are about to be bumped down a notch in the pecking order. Much like Army, Navy, Harvard, Yale, SMU and Rice were over the years.

So why don’t they fold? You have dozens of posts saying that the Big 10 is going to dominate everything. You said that the Big 10 would make $10 billion a year in one post.

The B1G contract can increase in value up to $10 billion depending on future expansion.

Assuming Notre Dame remains independent, that leaves Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington as the four schools that could possibly join in the immediate future.

Do you think the B1G stays at 16? Adds all four PAC schools, or adds 2 of the 4?

Who can compete with $10 billion? Even the NFL and NBA will be applying for admission to the Big 10 at those levels.

My least favorite part of the realignment board is that posters like you and @goldendomer use it as an excuse to troll UConn fans.

Reaction Score
So why don’t they fold? You have dozens of posts saying that the Big 10 is going to dominate everything. You said that the Big 10 would make $10 billion a year in one post.

Who can compete with $10 billion? Even the NFL and NBA will be applying for admission to the Big 10 at those levels.

My least favorite part of the realignment board is that posters like you and @goldendomer use it as an excuse to troll UConn fans.
Troll? Point to one thing I have done that is a troll.
I support UCONN getting a p5 invite and always have. Rutgers and BC getting an invite over you was a lame.

This is my first post in this thread. Wait, I forgot I no longer have you on ignore. Dang, my bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve never trolled UConn. Is this not a conference realignment board? Everything I’ve posted pertains to conference realignment and the fallout of what’s happening around it - media rights deals, etc. It’s all connected. I’ve never once said anything negative about UConn.

I think the end game of realignment will have UConn in the ACC.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Absolutely! It’s why the Big10 would have to sell the late night, west coast games to receive a bump in payments for the other schools. If they sell those games on Friday and Saturday nights, they might be able to get enough to bring in those schools. Would 2 games a week be enough to net $300 million a year?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
72C2BC3A-D826-4E6B-8A67-96C550C11271.jpeg

Wow! I did not see that coming!

Reaction Score
Nebraska lost its opener on the road to unranked Northwestern at Aviva Stadium. In Dublin! That's what college football is all about. Maybe the B1G has its eyes on Trinity College Dublin.

Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...

Reaction Score
Always like to play "Dublin Blues"...one of my favorite Guy Clark tunes.

Here I sit in Dublin
Just rollin' cigarettes
Holdin' back and chokin' back
The shakes with every breath

Going to the Big Ten did squat for the Huskers. Limited natural rivalries, recruiting area diminished, resulting in a gradual watering down of the brand.

Reaction Score
Going to the Big Ten did squat for the Huskers. Limited natural rivalries, recruiting area diminished, resulting in a gradual watering down of the brand.

The Huskers did quite well in the B1G the first few years. They played in a B1G Championship Game and won 9 games several times. The problems began after they fired Bo Pelini as head coach.

Remember, Nebraska played in the Big 8 for most of its prime dynasties. Recruiting area didn’t mean anything. Nebraska was only in a conference that included Texas schools for 15 years. The home states of the old Big 8 were: Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Missouri and Colorado. That era included all but one of Nebraska’s national championships and the other was in the very early days of the Big 12 that included players who had played in the final days of the Big 8.

Nebraska still sells out its home games and still generates high tv ratings. With the right coach, the Cornhuskers have the financial means necessary to turn things around. They just have to find the right coach. Someone who can go into California, New Jersey, etc. and land top recruits and transfers.

Reaction Score
Nebraska also accepted more partial qualifiers than any school in the country. They got a ton of talent but also a ton of off the field issues with these players & that just won't work in today's environment.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Nebraska also allowed players with questionable legal situations to play. Here’s an article from SI back in 1995 that is a snapshot in time of the things Tom Osborne let play out.

Nebraska was a great program, but it was partially built by prop 48 players and athletes that were given 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th chances. They are lucky they are in the Big10. They had great coaches and had a couple of fun rivalries with Colorado and Oklahoma, but they weren’t able to sustain their success with the new restrictions.

They also went away from what they were. An option offense and stout defense. When they made the move to a more pro style offense, a part who they are died.

Reaction Score
Nebraska also allowed players with questionable legal situations to play. Here’s an article from SI back in 1995 that is a snapshot in time of the things Tom Osborne let play out.

Nebraska was a great program, but it was partially built by prop 48 players and athletes that were given 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th chances. They are lucky they are in the Big10. They had great coaches and had a couple of fun rivalries with Colorado and Oklahoma, but they weren’t able to sustain their success with the new restrictions.

They also went away from what they were. An option offense and stout defense. When they made the move to a more pro style offense, a part who they are died.
I am sure they are happy as long as the get their B1G paycheck!

dayooper

Reaction Score
I am sure they are happy as long as the get their B1G paycheck!

Absolutely! I believe they knew they couldn’t sustain what they were doing and jumped at the chance. They knew they would always be at the whim of Texas and took the consistency of the Big10. I know there were some that thought they regretted their move and wanted to go back, but that’s just fan speak. They hit the jackpot in 2011 and the athletic department and university administration never looked back.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Was that sarc?

Kind of, but mostly all I read is that there are only going to be two conferences and everyone else won't matter. If this is so obvious to everyone, how come there is not a single FBS school, and certainly none out of the P5, that are discussing terminating their athletic programs? Either all these writers are correct, and there will only be two conferences, or the rest of college athletics knows something that the writers do not.

Reaction Score
There will still be sports, just another ring on the ladder. Like when football split between 1-A and 1-AA in 1978.

From Wikipedia:

“From 1906 to 1955, the NCAA had no divisional structure for member schools. Prior to the 1956 college football season, schools were organized into an upper NCAA University Division and lower NCAA College Division. From 1973 to 1977, all schools participated in a single NCAA Division I group. Prior to the 1978 season, schools were again organized into upper NCAA Division I-A and lower NCAA Division I-AA groupings. These two divisions were renamed as NCAA Division I FBS and NCAA Division I FCS prior to the 2006 season.”

We are in the midst of another dividing line being drawn, at least in terms of earning revenue.

Richmond @ Virginia was something very different pre-1978 than it was after.

The only sure things right now are that the B1G, SEC and Notre Dame are set for whatever is coming in the near future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There will still be sports, just another ring on the ladder. Like when football split between 1-A and 1-AA in 1978.

From Wikipedia:

“From 1906 to 1955, the NCAA had no divisional structure for member schools. Prior to the 1956 college football season, schools were organized into an upper NCAA University Division and lower NCAA College Division. From 1973 to 1977, all schools participated in a single NCAA Division I group. Prior to the 1978 season, schools were again organized into upper NCAA Division I-A and lower NCAA Division I-AA groupings. These two divisions were renamed as NCAA Division I FBS and NCAA Division I FCS prior to the 2006 season.”

We are in the midst of another dividing line being drawn, at least in terms of earning revenue.

Richmond @ Virginia was something very different pre-1978 than it was after.

The only sure things right now are that the B1G, SEC and Notre Dame are set for whatever is coming in the near future.

So all the other schools are equivalent to 1AA. That is your official prediction. Got it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom