B1G media rights deal. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

B1G media rights deal.

Reaction Score

Here is a good example as to why the B1G is the top conference for media rights. The Penn State vs. Purdue game on FOX had more viewers than the hyped up return of the Background Brawl between Pitt and WVU on ESPN.

The Penn State/Purdue game was nothing particularly special in terms of the matchup, but it still had a larger audience than a key rivalry game that hasn’t been played in over a decade.
A network broadcast barely beat a cable broadcast, and that’s with Penn State also by far being the biggest name brand/fanbase involved. ESPN also edged in the 18-54 demographics. The B10 market is gray and getting grayer.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I am certainly no fan of Rutgers (except for today), but it is undeniable that their B1G membership has been a great aid to them. Conference money makes a difference, no question.
LOL, they are losing more money after they joined than they were before they joined. They’re running a $73 million deficit in each the last two years. Note that that’s not capital expenditure, that’s their operating deficit.

Reaction Score
LOL, they are losing more money after they joined than they were before they joined. They’re running a $73 million deficit in each the last two years. Note that that’s not capital expenditure, that’s their operating deficit.
I was strictly referring to the quality of play that they seemed to have achieved. They are certainly recruiting better players than in the past. The do have an opportunity to recoup some of their losses with their future B1G pay. UConn's deficit was 47 million last year, with no real source of big income in the foreseeable future. They will have a steady stream of big income continuing. How they manage it, is another story. I would most UConn fans would trade places with them in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notably, ESPN’s game won the head-to-head in each of the key young adult demographics — beating FOX in 18-34 (0.9 to 0.5), 18-49 (1.0 to 0.8) and 25-54 (1.11 to 1.05).

CL82

Reaction Score
I was strictly referring to the quality of play that they seemed to have achieved. They are certainly recruiting better players than in the past. The do have an opportunity to recoup some of their losses with their future B1G pay. UConn's deficit was 47 million last year, with no real source of big income in the foreseeable future. They will have a steady stream of big income continuing. How they manage it, is another story. I would most UConn fans would trade places with them in a heartbeat.
No doubt, but none of that changes the fact that even receiving Big Ten money they still are running a $73 million annual deficit. That’s impressive, in a very Rutgers way.

Reaction Score
No doubt, but none of that changes the fact that even receiving Big Ten money they still are running a $73 million annual deficit. That’s impressive, in a very Rutgers way.
Is their an explanation for that deficit? I live across the Hudson, but I don't hear much news about Rutgers in NYC. I only saw the end of the game on Saturday after the UConn game and I thought Rutgers looked really good on the field. Pushed BC around in the final drive.

Reaction Score
Is their an explanation for that deficit? I live across the Hudson, but I don't hear much news about Rutgers in NYC. I only saw the end of the game on Saturday after the UConn game and I thought Rutgers looked really good on the field. Pushed BC around in the final drive.
I think it’s all the money they are investing in their athletic programs. Rutgers finished at the bottom or near the bottom of the Big Ten standings in almost every sport for their first several years in the conference, but they have improved in many sports. Last year, Rutgers won the conference title in Women’s Soccer and the conference tournament in field hockey. They almost won the conference title in baseball but faltered at the end of the season. They had not won any conference titles in the Big ten prior to last year. They have also qualified for the NCAA basketball tournament and played in the Gator Bowl, although that one was due to A&M being unable to compete.

Rutgers borrowed money against future conference earnings to do this. I think the Rutgers strategy has been to make significant investments in their sports to be able to compete in the B1G, knowing larger payouts are on their way to pay the money back. So far, that strategy appears to be working. They are at least better than they were in most sports. Whether that translates into competing for conference championships in additional sports remains to be seen.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not that I’m aware of. If it was infrastructure spending, I totally get it, but it’s just an operational deficit. I know at least one state senator has called for an investigation on it. And there was that debacle about spending just short of a half million dollars on DoorDash. Maybe a good analogy is like the lottery ticket winner who goes broke in a few years.

Reaction Score
I think it’s all the money they are investing in their athletic programs. Rutgers finished at the bottom or near the bottom of the Big Ten standings in almost every sport for their first several years in the conference, but they have improved in many sports. Last year, Rutgers won the conference title in Women’s Soccer and the conference tournament in field hockey. They almost won the conference title in baseball but faltered at the end of the season. They had not won any conference titles in the Big ten prior to last year. They have also qualified for the NCAA basketball tournament and played in the Gator Bowl, although that one was due to A&M being unable to compete.

Rutgers borrowed money against future conference earnings to do this. I think the Rutgers strategy has been to make significant investments in their sports to be able to compete in the B1G, knowing larger payouts are on their way to pay the money back. So far, that strategy appears to be working. They are at least better than they were in most sports. Whether that translates into competing for conference championships in additional sports remains to be seen.

Maybe a good analogy is like the lottery ticket winner who goes broke in a few years.

.. or even the lottery winner who suddenly has upset distant relatives (University Academic Departments/AAUP) calling that want a bigger piece of the new family pie and muther ya to anyone that listens when you don’t return their calls.

Fun to watch from afar…

Reaction Score
It’s becoming obvious why ABC/ESPN wanted to expand the SEC while Fox, CBS, and NBC did the same for the B1G. Week 2&3 of the college football season has very few compelling matchups. Outside of Alabama versus Texas this week there isn’t much. ABC has Ohio versus Penn State this week and us versus Michigan the following week at noon. CBS has Colorado at Air Force this week. The following week Fox has Toledo at Ohio State. I’m sure the networks wish they had better matchups than these games.

Eventually, the SEC and the B1G will add additional teams while the Big12 will remain a relevant number three conference. The PAC 10 and ACC will eventually be raided.

Reaction Score
Here's the full list:
1662642072037.png

Reaction Score

.. or even the lottery winner who suddenly has upset distant relatives (University Academic Departments/AAUP) calling that want a bigger piece of the new family pie and muther ya to anyone that listens when you don’t return their calls.

Fun to watch from afar…
Ahhh…. The old UConn Fiesta Bowl treatment..

Reaction Score
^^^ This is part of why I think the mid to lower tier bowls are going to go the way of the dinosaurs - no one really cares and the level of care will go down once the expanded CFP becomes reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom