B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 19 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And with Syracuse and Notre Dame, the ACC is in the New York market. Adding UConn gets us into Connecticut and helps develop New England more giving BC a rival there. I could argue that West Virginia helps with Pitt and VT rivalries. But their academics are like Louisville. I'm not sure about them. And if you think Connecticut fans are mad at the ACC, it's nothing like WVU fans. The majority hates the ACC. I don't know if an offer would change that.

The Mid-Atlantic is a hole as we've discussed. Temple could fill the hole if the ACC sees the need to return to the Mid-Atlantic.

Read this thread: http://syracusefan.com/threads/looks-like-the-prov-game-will-be-tape-delayed.40752/

Think about the relative popularity of Uconn in NYC.

Reaction Score
I certainly would prefer travelling north to play BC, Syracuse, and UConn than travelling north and west to Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana. We'll be travelling to South Bend, but I can get there from Chicago. Getting to Bloomington or Lafayette isn't easy, particularly in winter.

Getting to/from South Bend in the Winter is not cakewalk either. Stopped in South Bend one night on my way from Chicago to St. Joe’s MI for work to catch a UConn basketball game. Got caught in a white out after the game, was not fun, glad the roads are straight there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only thing to add is that the Tobacco Road and Virginia Schools were instrumental in getting the basketball additions Syracuse and Pittsburgh (UConn was the first choice of some as has been stated with BC steering it to Pitt), and they yielded to FSU and Clemson this time thanking them for allowing the others in last time. I think what Notre Dame wants will greatly influence the next offer because it will coincide with their adding 3 more ACC football games. I hope it's UConn. I don't know UConn's relationship with Notre Dame. I would think it to be good.

Should the ACC decide to go to 20 members, then we'll need 5 more. I would definitely want UConn in that mix. But some here have suggested UConn wants to go to the Big Ten instead. The ACC will have other choices, but I'd like to see UConn.

We're not worried about getting flanked by either the SEC or Big Ten. We don't need to own a market. We just need to be in the market, particularly one as big as New York. And with Syracuse and Notre Dame, the ACC is in the New York market. Adding UConn gets us into Connecticut and helps develop New England more giving BC a rival there. I could argue that West Virginia helps with Pitt and VT rivalries. But their academics are like Louisville. I'm not sure about them. And if you think Connecticut fans are mad at the ACC, it's nothing like WVU fans. The majority hates the ACC. I don't know if an offer would change that.

The Mid-Atlantic is a hole as we've discussed. Temple could fill the hole if the ACC sees the need to return to the Mid-Atlantic.
Believe me, the sour grapes any of us have towards the ACC would melt faster than a snowball in Hades if there was an invite! It might reappear the first game UConn plays bb against Duke and they get a flop call.:) There's a strong part of me that feels UConn could thrive in the ACC. And it would be great to regain many of the rivalries UConn had in the BE.

That doesn't negate my opinion that the ACC will fall further behind three other conferences in media revenues and be at a strong disadvantage relative to them in the future. But I would take acceptance into the ACC as a big win from the current situation.

Reaction Score
People in Florida saw a swamp. Walt saw Disney World.
Funny,I just spent a couple hours on the OSU board and Im cheered by the respect and acceptence these "outsiders" have given us compared to the rudeness of some of these ACC "visitors"!They think RU is gonna lift the conference and is one of only a few school's in the B1G outside of them and UM who are actually trying to recruit decent players to get them back on par with the SEC talentwise and the ACC isn't even an afterthought to them let alone any kind of threat at least in FB!Like a flea on a "donkeys rear".Very reassuring to see the difference in attitudes and reassures me were going (and hopefully you too) to a classier conference!No one sneers at the suggestion of UConn being a candidate for membership there like you see on some ACC boards.They seem to suffer delusions of grandeur at some of the southern school like only their acceptence would justify us!?!I thought the culture was more advanced than it is in some of them backwaters?....btw RegisteredUConn nice comeback!As they used to say "you said a mouthful"!This "StimpyCuse" is "way out there" and has no clue about eastern FB!

Reaction Score
Believe me, the sour grapes any of us have towards the ACC would melt faster than a snowball in Hades if there was an invite! It might reappear the first game UConn plays bb against Duke and they get a flop call.:) There's a strong part of me that feels UConn could thrive in the ACC. And it would be great to regain many of the rivalries UConn had in the BE.

I believe that you'd thrive as well. Your women's hoops team would dominate from the outset, and, the men would be right at the top, too. Football would profit from the renewal of rivalries, and, baseball would get a lift from being in one of the country's best leagues.

That doesn't negate my opinion that the ACC will fall further behind three other conferences in media revenues and be at a strong disadvantage relative to them in the future. But I would take acceptance into the ACC as a big win from the current situation.

Only the future will tell how far the ACC may fall behind the others. Using current data, you're 100 percent correct in asserting that it will.

But, who knows how things might look, or change, in the next 5-7 years?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Only the future will tell how far the ACC may fall behind the others. Using current data, you're 100 percent correct in asserting that it will.

But, who knows how things might look, or change, in the next 5-7 years?
I think Duke would have something to say about the UConn's woman's team. So would ND.

Reaction Score

The ACC does provide more natural rivals. No question about that. But no one will complain about the B1G, either.

Reaction Score
Funny,I just spent a couple hours on the OSU board and Im cheered by the respect and acceptence these "outsiders" have given us compared to the rudeness of some of these ACC "visitors"!

Nick, how do you find time (or even have the interest) to spend "a couple hours" on other teams' boards? I barely have enough time to breeze through this one.

Besides, following this Conference Realignment page drove me insane and nearly got me fired last November (OK, not really, but it should have).

Reaction Score
I think Duke would have something to say about the UConn's woman's team. So would ND.
ND?Heck their not even there yet"I still think of them culturally as a BE/C7 type school and like RU's WBB team have occasional run's but it'll take 5 or 6 years of utter dominance to compare them with the Lady Huskers.....theres us,Tennessee and maybe Stanford then a drop and the next 20 or 25 teams are up and down(Baylor,ND,RU,Duke,OSU,Texas,Md etc) and lately St Johns and SU's WBB are on a positive trend!I'd bet CVS will have to have a big year or take a salary cut or retire as her contract expires this season!

Reaction Score
Nick, how do you find time (or even have the interest) to spend "a couple hours" on other teams' boards? I barely have enough time to breeze through this one.

Besides, following this Conference Realignment page drove me insane and nearly got me fired last November (OK, not really, but it should have).
I'm semi-retired (disability) so not being wealthy enough to travel as much as I'd like(or hang out in Vegas)Im anxiously awaiting FB season my friend.I was getting depressed here listening to how "loathesome" NE FB is and how negatively these ACC troll's perceive/propandize eastern FB(I'm SURE they know better)!The "fake Cavalier' StimpyCuse in particular tipped me off when he compared Temple to RU or that they (Temple) could replace Md/RU in the Philly/Md/S.Jersey market that he was just another trolling clown/hater toying with us! Now listening to that nonsense is what I call wasting time!!

Reaction Score
No, not real concern about RU, just offering an outside prespective. One that did not jive with your own, and, one that left us at odds. I have not taken potshots at RU, nor, have I denigrated its academic reputation, which is well-respected in these parts. I just respectfully disagree with you, in that I am not sold on RU being some sort of rising power, just because you're joining the B1G. I think you'll be competitive, but, you have a hugely large task in front of you just to be competitive in a division that has OSU, UM, PSU, and MSU as yearly contests.

It would be exactly the same for UNC, were we in the SEC East, and facing a gauntlet of USC, UGA, UF, and, UT each year.
Go to the B10's boards and you get the opposite perspective on RU but their concerned about Md FB and Edsell and there so so recruiting so far this year!They think of RU as the future on OSU's boards for the most part!I was impressed with there fans positive outlook on RU and their overall FB knowledge!

Reaction Score
The ACC does provide more natural rivals. No question about that. But no one will complain about the B1G, either.
Or at least natural dislike "even hatred" between the schools but it seems a bit childish(or unhealthy) to someone over 50 who realizes its just a FB game and yearly bragging rights at stake not life or death.Also it seems that the B1G don't have that ACC/BE.2 complex we see in action in this thread!They (B1G) seem more self assured and above this childish high school nonsense the ACC is wrapped up in!Maybe being 2nd fiddle in their own footprint(SEC) has something to do with it?Or being the 5th of the Big 4 or 4 and a half ??

Reaction Score
Funny,I just spent a couple hours on the OSU board and Im cheered by the respect and acceptence these "outsiders" have given us compared to the rudeness of some of these ACC "visitors"!They think RU is gonna lift the conference and is one of only a few school's in the B1G outside of them and UM who are actually trying to recruit decent players to get them back on par with the SEC talentwise and the ACC isn't even an afterthought to them let alone any kind of threat at least in FB!Like a flea on a "donkeys rear".Very reassuring to see the difference in attitudes and reassures me were going (and hopefully you too) to a classier conference!No one sneers at the suggestion of UConn being a candidate for membership there like you see on some ACC boards.They seem to suffer delusions of grandeur at some of the southern school like only their acceptence would justify us!?!I thought the culture was more advanced than it is in some of them backwaters?....btw RegisteredUConn nice comeback!As they used to say "you said a mouthful"!This "StimpyCuse" is "way out there" and has no clue about eastern FB!

Of course B1G fans will talk up Rutgers...they have an ownership motive.

I think that you would find that the SEC fan's view of Rutgers to be not dissimilar to that of ACC fans. It is just that UAB and Troy are better known in the south than Rutgers.

Most regions are myopic and disregard programs from other regions...I know that the Big Ten was dismissive of FSU years ago...until FSU went up there and beat Ohio State (twice in back to back years in Columbus), beat Michigan State twice and set the scoring record in Michigan's Big House in Ann Arbor.

The way to build respect is to beat teams of a known quality. The "gold standard" for a quality win is a win over a team that is End Year Ranked. These teams, by definition, will win 80% of their games.

Rutgers, since 2000, has never beaten a team from another conference who is End Year Ranked (AP or Coaches). They have won 10% of their games with teams that are End Year Ranked....(3-28-0 or .097 win record). The three wins were Cincinnati (X2) and WVU.

The path to football respect is paved by winning against quality teams. Win and respect follows.

Reaction Score
The path to football respect is paved by winning against quality teams. Win and respect follows.
We have won good games before in football. Only issue is we have a weak HC right now. I hope this is his last year. We need someone dynamic enough to match up against Butch Jones of Tennessee. We do have good wins last year, but also bad losses.

Reaction Score
We have won good games before in football. Only issue is we have a weak HC right now. I hope this is his last year. We need someone dynamic enough to match up against Butch Jones of Tennessee. We do have good wins last year, but also bad losses.

Almost all of UConn's good wins have come out of the Big East though - did a quick spot check for UConn against billybud's metric and UConn's best wins were against 2010 WVU, 2011 Rutgers, and 2012 Louisville, none against the P5 conferences.

billybud, unfortunately FSU's scoring record was surpassed during the Rich Rod years :|

Reaction Score
Almost all of UConn's good wins have come out of the Big East though - did a quick spot check for UConn against billybud's metric and UConn's best wins were against 2010 WVU, 2011 Rutgers, and 2012 Louisville, none against the P5 conferences.

billybud, unfortunately FSU's scoring record was surpassed during the Rich Rod years :|

Yeah...Michigan was undefeated in regular season except for that FSU loss.....That Michigan team held Ohio State to 3, shut out Illinois and Purdue, held six of their opponents to 14 points or less. Illinois set the new record on a 7-6 Michigan squad that gave up 52 to Mississippi and and 48 to Wisconsin...and gave up 30 or more points to nine opponents.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

@notre dame
Vs South Carolina in bowl (manhandled them)

Not as big
Destroying wake forest at wake

Reaction Score
Also two wins against Baylor with RG3 as QB. And maybe Maryland last year against our ex-HC. We have to beat them again this year. PP produced a couple good wins, surprisingly. More also not so great wins, UVA, Duke and Indiana. We almost had UNC.

I would actually agree our best win was last year against Louisville. If we are going by rankings.

Reaction Score

We beat USF one year after they climbed to No. 2 (I think they beat Auburn when they were No. 1 to climb that high). They lost a game before they played us, so they weren't No. 2 when we beat them, but they may have been No. 10 or so.

Our best wins are ones where maybe the opponent wasn't ranked, but they made a statement: beating ND at ND, shutting out South Carolina in a bowl, throttling Iowa State, beating Baylor with RGIII. Some blowouts over teams like Duke, Wake and Indiana that proved we could hack it in the big leagues without being a doormat. We don't pretend to be Michigan or Ohio State football-wise, but for a short time at the FBS level, we've done a lot. The AD/coach rift (former AD now) and poor hire afterward have drained our momentum in the last two years, though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The 2002 Iowa State team with Seneca Wallace got to as high as #9. Only two losses came at home and only one of their losses was to an unranked team. That team? The University of Connecticut Huskies in their first full year playing FBS football.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

You're a horrible researcher.

Reaction Score
I feel more confident in PP now than ever before simply because we have a real OC in TJ. Hank Hughes is a great coach and DC and has earned our respect.

Basically, PP needs to recruit, keep things in order and stop botching timeouts. The staff has the other stuff under control. (As long as GDL can really coach an OL, I think he can do that job)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom