B12 and ACC on the clock! | Page 14 | The Boneyard

B12 and ACC on the clock!

Reaction Score
Always a possibility. ;) But I am looking for confirmation from one or two more sources that this actually happened.
Along those lines, I am aware that the local sportswriters have a certain relationship with the powers that be at UConn for a number of reasons. For something as important as a conference invitation, I am sure that if UConn didn't want a Yormark visit reported, that the papers would sit on it. The ability to keep secrets is also a metric which gets measured by conferences I can easily imagine. So it is not surprising that neither the JI nor the Courant had anything on the topic today. But lets see what is in the papers tomorrow morning.

Btw, West Virginia is pretty good in engineering. The DoE has a big research facility in Morgantown.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't understand why BCU, Cuse and Pitt aren't on the phone every day pleading to get UConn into the ACC. They need the juice we would give their moribund sports teams.

Reaction Score
Decent (but long) thread/ACC Summary:

Good summary of the above thread for the ADD crowd:

1684591983202.png

Reaction Score
I can't understand why BCU, Cuse and Pitt aren't on the phone every day pleading to get UConn into the ACC. They need the juice we would give their moribund sports teams.
Hale's tweet says that the ACC looked at Washington, Oregon, West Virginia, and SMU and "the dollars just aren't there". No mention of UConn, but I'm sure it would be reported the same, the dollars aren't there.

For those saying that UConn should wait for an offer from the ACC, it's pretty clear that we are not on the ACC's radar.

Reaction Score
The current ACC reminds me of the Big12 in the final couple years before Oklahoma and Texas left. The ACC is currently trying to appease their football powers, Clemson and FSU, in the hopes they won’t leave.

Clemson and FSU only care about keeping up with the SEC and BIG10 football powers in revenue and recruiting status. They certainly don’t care about Cuse, Pitt or BCU and are not interested in a long term investment in those programs. The only additions FSU and Clemson would allow are ones that bring in more than $35 million individually and upgrade the ACC’s football pedigree…UConn doesn’t met those requirements.

Before it’s said and done Clemson and FSU will walk out on the ACC just like Oklahoma and Texas did….and just like Oklahoma and Texas, Clemson and FSU will selfishly make all about them prior to leaving.

There isn’t a balanced power arrangement in the ACC and the northeast school aren‘t calling the shots. Give the Big12 full credit, they took the hit when Oklahoma and Texas left and negotiated a new big money TV contract which insured all the remaining BIG 12 members survived without a pay cut.

My guess is there will be no similar golden parachute for all the ACC members when their anchor programs leave.…

Reaction Score
Here is my rant about BC:

The leaders of BC have no interest in their athletic programs. Mike DiMauro, the BC graduate who we all hate, even admits it.

The sports writers who say that UConn should stay in the Big East should start calling out the schools, like BC, who have no business collecting P5 money.

Reaction Score
The current ACC reminds me of the Big12 in the final couple years before Oklahoma and Texas left. The ACC is currently trying to appease their football powers, Clemson and FSU, in the hopes they won’t leave.

Clemson and FSU only care about keeping up with the SEC and BIG10 football powers in revenue and recruiting status. They certainly don’t care about Cuse, Pitt or BCU and are not interested in a long term investment in those programs. The only additions FSU and Clemson would allow are ones that bring in more than $35 million individually and upgrade the ACC’s football pedigree…UConn doesn’t met those requirements.

Before it’s said and done Clemson and FSU will walk out on the ACC just like Oklahoma and Texas did….and just like Oklahoma and Texas, Clemson and FSU will selfishly make all about them prior to leaving.

There isn’t a balanced power arrangement in the ACC and the northeast school aren‘t calling the shots. Give the Big12 full credit, they took the hit when Oklahoma and Texas left and negotiated a new big money TV contract which insured all the remaining BIG 12 members survived without a pay cut.

My guess is there will be no similar golden parachute for all the ACC members when their anchor programs leave.…
The ACC started this conference jumping but aren't the masters of it. Now many want to abandoned the boring league they created. FL St stop competing before there was a money difference. They have one excuse after another.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

View attachment 88355
Hale's tweet says that the ACC looked at Washington, Oregon, West Virginia, and SMU and "the dollars just aren't there". No mention of UConn, but I'm sure it would be reported the same, the dollars aren't there.

For those saying that UConn should wait for an offer from the ACC, it's pretty clear that we are not on the ACC's radar.
And West Virginia is locked into a GOR of its own. Why would they even be an option for the ACC? UConn makes a whole lot of more sense in that scenario.

Reaction Score
The ACC started this conference jumping but aren't the masters of it. Now many want to abandoned the boring league they created. FL St stop competing before there was a money difference. They have one excuse after another.
FSU is playing the same role Texas played in the Big12.…A team with a huge media following/alumni base and which allegedly is worth a ton of conference money yet consistently underproduces on the field and court. And, just like Texas, FSU is latching onto “the conference is holding us back” excuse instead of owning their failures.

At this point, for the football powers in the ACC, it’s a “pump and dump.” They don’t care about the long term survival of the ACC and their only goal is to get as much as they can before they can get out and move to a
P2 league. Unfortunately, for FSU and Clemson “as much as they can” in the ACC will never equal the BIG/SEC.

Nothing destroys a conference faster than members no longer vested in its long term existence/success. The ACC is in that spot now. And the worst kind of divorce is one which publicly plays out over years.

Grab your popcorn, it’s going to be a full show watching the ACC tear itself apart.

Reaction Score

View attachment 88355
ADD & OCD.

And we have realignment threads all over the place. No one talks about option 3 - espn renegotiates, which would seem to be a fair route. Unless espn actually wants the ACC to implode.

Reaction Score
ADD & OCD.

And we have realignment threads all over the place. No one talks about option 3 - espn renegotiates, which would seem to be a fair route. Unless espn actually wants the ACC to implode.
I'd argue ESPN doesn't have the inclination or the incentive to pay more for rights it already owns, particularly in a time of corporate cost-cutting at Disney. It doesn't need the ACC.. if the ACC fell apart they'd just air some other SEC or Big XII game as the secondary Saturday night (ESPN2) time-slot. It has no incentive to pay the ACC more or to care about the ACC beyond what makes their time-slots more profitable.

Reaction Score
The final year of Big East Football:
UConn, Cincy, Temple, USF, Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse, L-ville

You listen to a Big 12 offer, do your due diligence, and grab ahold 5 minutes later.
Whatever happens with the ACC and PAC, the Big 12 will be the seller.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom