Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I wish I hadn't written that, but I find it interesting--though perhaps not meaningful--that nearly half the UConn team in recent years has been of mixed racial/ethnic heritage. That seems to be a change from earlier years and different from most teams I'm familiar with.

By the way, half my grandchildren are of mixed racial/ethnic heritage.

Your "mixed race" grandchildren are part of a demographic that is growing 3 times faster that the population as a whole (Pew Research). Times are changing and in this case at least, it's for the better. A rise in that demographic indicates a trend toward acceptance that goes beyond "tolerence". I hope and expect that trend will continue to accelerate (simple math suggests it will). As the demographic grows, it will be more and more represented in any given group you look at that is not selected by race.

MilfordHusky, I suspect you are a good person who loves his family and "our girls" as much as anyone. I appreciate that you see how your statement could be seen by others as troubling, however innocently it was intended.

Folks will trivialize and dismiss such concerns under the label of "PC"... go for it. It used to be called polite and considerate and I'm ok with those labels.

Happy holidays and GO HUSKIES.

Reaction Score
Best news, to me, is that she's not from South Carolina or Indiana or Texas, where she would be a natural fit for a local powerhouse. And sorry to say, Maryland doesn't really count. They've been good, but not "powerhouse" good.

Reaction Score
Best news, to me, is that she's not from South Carolina or Indiana or Texas, where she would be a natural fit for a local powerhouse. And sorry to say, Maryland doesn't really count. They've been good, but not "powerhouse" good.

From every thing I have seen in interviews, articles, etc...on Azzi she's central casting for UConn. Her parents are also the same. The combination, besides pure talent lead to Geno offering a Frosh. Brunelle 2019 is also classic UConn player, I think UConn is in the pole position for her.

Reaction Score
Very good pinotbear. I love it!! Your illustration goes to prove that some things we see, hear or encounter in our youth, never leave us. Most of us have not seen Elmer or a Bugs Bunny cartoon for 60 years or more, but we remember him (and his speech impediment) none the less. Good one!!! :D
My grandkids allow Gpa to pick his cartoons sometimes. So we go old school. They like the 2 up top but their favorite is Johnnie Quest!

Reaction Score
I wish I hadn't written that, but I find it interesting--though perhaps not meaningful--that nearly half the UConn team in recent years has been of mixed racial/ethnic heritage. That seems to be a change from earlier years and different from most teams I'm familiar with.

By the way, half my grandchildren are of mixed racial/ethnic heritage.
My 6 grandkids white and latino. I am mixed also french, irish and indian. About 15 years ago, my wife and I were Christmas shopping in Manchester with our best friends and went out to eat but we had a hour wait. My best friend is black and his wife white. Two white couples came in and within 10 minutes they were staring at our friends and talking under their breath to each other about our friends and all 4 of us picked up on it right away but we just kept having a good time like we did all day! Our friends also are a great looking couple! We had about 30 minutes left to wait so I excused myself to use the bathroom. When I came out they were still staring and mumbling so I walked up to my friend sat on his lap and kissed him on his cheek for 30 seconds! Well my friend turned beet red and those 2
couples shook their heads and walked out of the restaurant! We laughed for a good 5 minutes so hard that our wives were crying! Red Lobster in Manchester what a great night!

Reaction Score
Your "mixed race" grandchildren are part of a demographic that is growing 3 times faster that the population as a whole (Pew Research). Times are changing and in this case at least, it's for the better. A rise in that demographic indicates a trend toward acceptance that goes beyond "tolerence". I hope and expect that trend will continue to accelerate (simple math suggests it will). As the demographic grows, it will be more and more represented in any given group you look at that is not selected by race.

MilfordHusky, I suspect you are a good person who loves his family and "our girls" as much as anyone. I appreciate that you see how your statement could be seen by others as troubling, however innocently it was intended.

Folks will trivialize and dismiss such concerns under the label of "PC"... go for it. It used to be called polite and considerate and I'm ok with those labels.

Happy holidays and GO HUSKIES.

Milford is a good poster and has always been respectful to other posters on here.

I also believe he loves the huskies as much as anyone on here.

Although I believe social injustice issues, race , politics etc have little place here what he said did not offend me. Not a big deal, his heart seems to be in the right place and not attacking anyone. Let's move on and discuss the girls.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My 6 grandkids white and latino. I am mixed also french, irish and indian. About 15 years ago, my wife and I were Christmas shopping in Manchester with our best friends and went out to eat but we had a hour wait. My best friend is black and his wife white. Two white couples came in and within 10 minutes they were staring at our friends and talking under their breath to each other about our friends and all 4 of us picked up on it right away but we just kept having a good time like we did all day! Our friends also are a great looking couple! We had about 30 minutes left to wait so I excused myself to use the bathroom. When I came out they were still staring and mumbling so I walked up to my friend sat on his lap and kissed him on his cheek for 30 seconds! Well my friend turned beet red and those 2
couples shook their heads and walked out of the restaurant! We laughed for a good 5 minutes so hard that our wives were crying! Red Lobster in Manchester what a great night!
My final take. You and others like you (and I) are the new faces of this country that I love so much, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Her threes should be called "F" - Bombs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My final take. You and others like you (and I) are the new faces of this country that I love so much, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Thank You JordyG, I wouldnt either!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If we get Azzi and Ezi, will anyone be confused? Ezi could overlap with Azura. Who would be “Z” then?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not so sure about that MD's has a more recent National championship than ND & Texas (2006 vs. 2001 vs. 1986).
MD has final four appearances in 2014 & 2015
MD had number 1 recruiting class in 2016
How are they not a power house when only 2 or at most 3 other programs can claim those credentials?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We can just tell them apart by race apparently.
Let’s not go down that road again, please.

All 3 players have unusual first names that include the letter “z.” I’ve seen a few variations of Azura or Azure, but Azzi is highly unusual, because it’s a relatively uncommon last name. Eziyoda may be relatively common in Australia, but it’s a totally new name to me.

Reaction Score
Let’s not go down that road again, please.

All 3 players have unusual first names that include the letter “z.” I’ve seen a few variations of Azura or Azure, but Azzi is highly unusual, because it’s a relatively uncommon last name. Eziyoda may be relatively common in Australia, but it’s a totally new name to me.
I know a girl in England named Ezi - think she is of Nigerian background. Never occurred to me that Ezi could be short for something (like Eziyoda). Now I'm going to have to find out.

"Azzi" isn't short for anything. Her mother named her after Jennifer Azzi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know a girl in England named Ezi - think she is of Nigerian background. Never occurred to me that Ezi could be short for something (like Eziyoda). Now I'm going to have to find out.

"Azzi" isn't short for anything. Her mother named her after Jennifer Azzi.
Correct re Azzi. Her mom was a big fan of the former Stanford star. Let us know what your research shows about Ezi.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Uconn does well with people of the Human race too
Meghan Markle is biracial? ( Actually I knew that because I watch SUITS )

upload_2017-11-27_20-4-22.jpeg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd started her high school career on Friday night (12/1). She scored 23 points in St. Johns' 72-51 victory.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
St. John’s only freshman, Azzi Fudd, plays at a different level than a typical ninth-grader. Named for former WNBA player Jennifer Azzi, the 5-11 guard led all scorers with 23 points. She was the youngest player on USA Basketball’s U16 squad this past summer.

“She’s beating herself up right now because she missed a couple of shots,” Scribner said. “That’s how she thinks. I’ve never seen a player at her age be as polished and as ready but what makes her different is she’s a great defender and she’s a wonderful teammate.”

Wood couldn’t come up with a comparable player to Fudd at her age.

“Nobody comes to mind,” Wood said. “She’s such a young player to have such a mature game and she also plays defense.”

No. 2 St. John's College girls roll past Life Center Academy

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
St. John’s only freshman, Azzi Fudd, plays at a different level than a typical ninth-grader. Named for former WNBA player Jennifer Azzi, the 5-11 guard led all scorers with 23 points. She was the youngest player on USA Basketball’s U16 squad this past summer.

“She’s beating herself up right now because she missed a couple of shots,” Scribner said. “That’s how she thinks. I’ve never seen a player at her age be as polished and as ready but what makes her different is she’s a great defender and she’s a wonderful teammate.”

Wood couldn’t come up with a comparable player to Fudd at her age.

“Nobody comes to mind,” Wood said. “She’s such a young player to have such a mature game and she also plays defense.”

No. 2 St. John's College girls roll past Life Center Academy
Azzi plays at a different level from a typical 11th grader, or maybe even 12th grader.

She wears #35. Interesting! Jennifer Azzi wore #10, I believe. I'm trying to think of a great player who wore #35. The first (and only?) that comes to mind is the great Dr. Dunkenstein:

8a8213cd7104ffcf8ae2cd688de66b6d.jpg

Reaction Score
Azzi plays at a different level from a typical 11th grader, or maybe even 12th grader.

She wears #35. Interesting! Jennifer Azzi wore #10, I believe. I'm trying to think of a great player who wore #35. The first (and only?) that comes to mind is the great Dr. Dunkenstein:

8a8213cd7104ffcf8ae2cd688de66b6d.jpg

I think this fellow DC area product is the most well known player to wear it now.
KD.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom