Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Im dating myself but I remember watching Katie, Azzi Fudd's mom, from her Georgetown playing days. The old Big East days.
Katie was very very good player, particularly on offense. One of Georgetown Women's Basketball's best players.

Obviously, the apple did not fall far from the tree.

Reaction Score
15594f063c78b4450fcd4ad1ce2bfbcb--funny-humor-funny-stuff.jpg
Other schools should not get their hopes up. With her last name she would naturally be "drawn" to play for the South Dakota State University Jack Wabbits.

Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have a feeling quite a few patrons here don't read the big recruiting threads so I thought it might be a good idea to add some new info here via Adamec and originally posted by Alydar.

UConn offered Azzi Fudd a scholarship on her recent visit to the campus. Paige Bueckers also received an offer the same weekend.

USA U-16 stars Bueckers, Fudd get UConn offers

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have a feeling quite a few patrons here don't read the big recruiting threads so I thought it might be a good idea to add some new info here via Adamec and originally posted by Alydar.

UConn offered Azzi Fudd a scholarship on her recent visit to the campus. Paige Bueckers also received an offer the same weekend.

USA U-16 stars Bueckers, Fudd get UConn offers

Thanks for the news. Knowing how selective Geno is about offering, it speaks volumes about their personality, skill set and family support group. I'm glad they were offered, and hope they ultimately choose to join the UConn family.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I have some friends who are interracial couples. They get no reaction in D.C. or the close-in suburbs, but they do get looks of disapproval and worse in small towns and more conservative part of the country. Not everyone is as open-minded as Boneyarders. Maybe it was insensitive to point that out, but I think it's a plus having kids with diverse backgrounds.

I don't know you, and won't speculate on, or judge, the nature of your biases (we all have biases of one kind or another), but that was a bizarre and jarring lead-in to a discussion of a young girl's basketball prowess. It's already been pointed out why UConn does well with kids. They and (their parents) are recruited for character and skill. Race is irrelevant. UConn and many others do well with all kinds of kids and I'm sure many schools have had hundreds of "multi-racial" kids successfully pass through their programs without being ID'd and categorized by race.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I've always been fascinated by this phenomenon at UConn. I couldn't articulate why. It's also interesting that not all are black and white.
Kaleena is black-hispanic. Saniya is black-asian (chinese). In general, it seems like a good thing that a group of young women with one thing in common--being good at basketball--come from such diverse backgrounds.

It seems to me to be a better thing when no one is fascinated by, cares, or even notices,what race(s) a person is.

Reaction Score
And Geno wonders why this generation of high schoolers seem entitled....

Just not comfortable offering 9th graders (just starting 9th grade!) a college scholarship. Geno's only keeping up with the competition, but if the NCAA has rules "protecting" college athletes from turning pro before a certain age, there is at least as good a reason to protect 9th and 10th graders from direct college recruitment.

Reaction Score
And Geno wonders why this generation of high schoolers seem entitled....

Just not comfortable offering 9th graders (just starting 9th grade!) a college scholarship. Geno's only keeping up with the competition, but if the NCAA has rules "protecting" college athletes from turning pro before a certain age, there is at least as good a reason to protect 9th and 10th graders from direct college recruitment.

Why? Kids get academic related material in 10th grade if they score well on their PSAT's. IMO, there is no reason not to be able to recruit 10th graders academically or athletically. Fudd was on the U-16 team and played well against kids older than her. The level of competition she faced at u-16 was likely better than most of the competition she will face in HS and she excelled.

Reaction Score
Why? Kids get academic related material in 10th grade if they score well on their PSAT's. IMO, there is no reason not to be able to recruit 10th graders academically or athletically. Fudd was on the U-16 team and played well against kids older than her. The level of competition she faced at u-16 was likely better than most of the competition she will face in HS and she excelled.

I take your argument that 10th grade athletes might receive attention, and concede that could happen in the 2nd semester of their sophomore year. Earlier than that is just plain wrong.

Reaction Score

From what I saw she looked like her team mates were younger than her, especially physically. And she could grow some more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know you, and won't speculate on, or judge, the nature of your biases (we all have biases of one kind or another), but that was a bizarre and jarring lead-in to a discussion of a young girl's basketball prowess. It's already been pointed out why UConn does well with kids. They and (their parents) are recruited for character and skill. Race is irrelevant. UConn and many others do well with all kinds of kids and I'm sure many schools have had hundreds of "multi-racial" kids successfully pass through their programs without being ID'd and categorized by race.
I wish I hadn't written that, but I find it interesting--though perhaps not meaningful--that nearly half the UConn team in recent years has been of mixed racial/ethnic heritage. That seems to be a change from earlier years and different from most teams I'm familiar with.

By the way, half my grandchildren are of mixed racial/ethnic heritage.

Reaction Score
MilfordHusky did, indeed, enter a minefield but also is taking a stairway to heaven. Race shouldn't matter--and may we all live long enough for that to be the case. But one way to make it not matter is to celebrate the times when it doesn't.

Of course, we're all "multi-racial kids", not only because of the surprises most folks have when they do "23 and Me", but because the modern notion of race is a late 18th/early 19th Century construction. Anyone who studies the ancient world knows that whatever passed for "race" was entirely plastic and flexible and nothing like the narrowly-constructed categories that formed just two centuries ago--largely as a result of the anxiety of inclusion/exclusion with the birth of the nation state and capitalism's exploitation of chattel slavery.

While we should all strive to be color-blind (racially, not optically), we can also realize that celebrating the success of a program/environment/people, etc. to make everyone feel comfortable regardless of apparent physical differences is a pretty neat accomplishment (to say the least).

Reaction Score
I take your argument that 10th grade athletes might receive attention, and concede that could happen in the 2nd semester of their sophomore year. Earlier than that is just plain wrong.

we know a couple of kids that were offered scholarships early in 9th grade..............in both cases they handled it really well and were relieved not to have to go through the rigors of the recruiting process............one is now enjoying life as a freshman at UCLA, the other will be at South Carolina next year............it really depends on the attitude of the recruit and their parents.......

Reaction Score
we know a couple of kids that were offered scholarships early in 9th grade....in both cases they handled it really well and were relieved not to have to go through the rigors of the recruiting process..one is now enjoying life as a freshman at UCLA, the other will be at South Carolina next year..it really depends on the attitude of the recruit and their parents..

I misspoke, the second recruit is a freshman right now too

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky did, indeed, enter a minefield but also is taking a stairway to heaven. Race shouldn't matter--and may we all live long enough for that to be the case. But one way to make it not matter is to celebrate the times when it doesn't.

Of course, we're all "multi-racial kids", not only because of the surprises most folks have when they do "23 and Me", but because the modern notion of race is a late 18th/early 19th Century construction. Anyone who studies the ancient world knows that whatever passed for "race" was entirely plastic and flexible and nothing like the narrowly-constructed categories that formed just two centuries ago--largely as a result of the anxiety of inclusion/exclusion with the birth of the nation state and capitalism's exploitation of chattel slavery.

While we should all strive to be color-blind (racially, not optically), we can also realize that celebrating the success of a program/environment/people, etc. to make everyone feel comfortable regardless of apparent physical differences is a pretty neat accomplishment (to say the least).

Bags, I’m not a mod, but I must warn you. Stop with this “making sense” thing you’re doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom