Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@MilfordHusky while it is certainly true that UCONN has done well with multiracial players I am struggling to think of a program that has done poorly with such players. Let's face it UCONN has so many other marks of distinction as a program that the race of some of the most successful players should hardly be a consideration.
I'm sure race is not a consideration at UConn. I know the background of our players much better than those at other schools. Perhaps there are many multi-racial players elsewhere. One that comes to mind--because of her hyphenated name--may be Ros Gold-Onwude.
I should have mentioned I lived in DC and Laural MD and PR and NJ---and live with 2 Black families (at different times)-- As I said Bigots and ignorant humans exist everywhere--but in today's atmosphere, most are hid under poorly lit baskets.
My federal (not military) career took me to many places for a few years here and a few there. You get to know people when you live among them--unlike just passing through. The South decent people I know --if you take away the away facade--we are very close to all being the same.
My apology--you are a decent, honorable person. I'm a bit protective of my Southern/South Western, Western friends and neighbor---\
The BY persons reflects society--America is no worse or better than the By, maybe they are a bit less into picking nits. Sorry.
No problem. I think the BY is more open-minded than the country as a whole on the issue of race, but perhaps I'm wrong. The basis of my thoughts are stories from friends who felt more welcome and accepted in some places than in others. Of course, there are nice people everywhere and not so nice folks in most places as well.

I agree about picking nits--lots more of that here than in the world overall. I plead guilty at times to that offense.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
r240901_2_600x600_1-1.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sure race is not a consideration at UConn. I know the background of our players much better than those at other schools. Perhaps there are many multi-racial players elsewhere. One that comes to mind--because of her hyphenated name--may be Ros Gold-Onwude.

No problem. I think the BY is more open-minded than the country as a whole on the issue of race, but perhaps I'm wrong. The basis of my thoughts are stories from friends who felt more welcome and accepted in some places than in others. Of course, there are nice people everywhere and not so nice folks in most places as well.

I agree about picking nits--lots more of that here than in the world overall. I plead guilty at times to that offense.
Amen!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Don't worry Mil. I have no problem telling you when and if I think you're wrong or whether you've crossed a line. With me, you're all good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford: I trust you realize you have both a moral and legal obligation to see this kid play.....THIS YEAR!
I'd give myself a C- on this over the years, but I'll try to improve my grade.

I saw Kaleena and Mater Dei when they visited D.C.

I also saw De'Janae twice in her senior year.

I didn't see Tierra Ruffin-Pratt when she played up the street, but she may have been injured when I learned about her.

I wanted to see Meg last year, but it's 120 miles each way. The one day I planned had rain and ice in the forecast. Then, I was out of town during the finals.

I still hope to see Sam Brunelle, though she's 100+ miles away.

I haven't been to St. Johns, but it's fairly close, less than 15 miles. It's about 30 minutes without traffic and 75 minutes at rush hour. They may play some away games closer to me. Their alums include Marissa Coleman and Lindsay Allen, so they play good basketball.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Most of our players fit into that category, though a few play at an other-worldly level.
I've always been fascinated by this phenomenon at UConn. I couldn't articulate why. It's also interesting that not all are black and white.
Kaleena is black-hispanic. Saniya is black-asian (chinese). In general, it seems like a good thing that a group of young women with one thing in common--being good at basketball--come from such diverse backgrounds.

Reaction Score
I've always been fascinated by this phenomenon at UConn. I couldn't articulate why. It's also interesting that not all are black and white.
Kaleena is black-hispanic. Saniya is black-asian (chinese). In general, it seems like a good thing that a group of young women with one thing in common--being good at basketball--come from such diverse backgrounds.

Threads like this make me a little crazy....yes, the initial comment was a little off-base BUT you want to play at UConn you either ball or not - no one gives a hoot about where your ancestors came from. And it's the same at any big sports school. Sports has been a great equalizer for the past 50 years. Black, white, brown, yellow, pink, blue, orange, red, straight, gay, or whatever other label you might bring, you get judged on 1) how you play the game, and 2) the quality of your character.

BTW - I WANT AZZI FUDD just cuz she's got the greatest name I've ever heard!!!!!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Be vewy, vewy quiet! Geno's huntin' wecwuits!

15594f063c78b4450fcd4ad1ce2bfbcb--funny-humor-funny-stuff.jpg

Very good pinotbear. I love it!! Your illustration goes to prove that some things we see, hear or encounter in our youth, never leave us. Most of us have not seen Elmer or a Bugs Bunny cartoon for 60 years or more, but we remember him (and his speech impediment) none the less. Good one!!! :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Threads like this make me a little crazy....yes, the initial comment was a little off-base BUT you want to play at UConn you either ball or not - no one gives a hoot about where your ancestors came from. And it's the same at any big sports school. Sports has been a great equalizer for the past 50 years. Black, white, brown yellow, pink, blue, orange, red, straight, gay, or whatever other label you might bring, you get judged on 1) how you play the game, and 2) the quality of your character.

BTW - I WANT AZZI FUDD just cuz she's got the greatest name I've ever heard!!!!!

You're not alone. After viewing this piece, many yarders will feel the same way. She looks like she going to be special. The fact that she made the USA U16 team, and helped them to win gold is proof. Good parents, good size (5'11" and maybe still growing), good background and attitude (she's coach-able).

It appears that she has been well coached to this point. She appears to just want to play basketball, and become the best player she can be. Based on all of these factors (and her unique name) she does appear to be a recruit UConn should take a very hard look at over the next 3 years. With the guidance and mentoring of her parents, wherever she goes, she'll be ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I am super high on Fudd. I don't care if she's purple, blue, black or white.
She seems super talented and has a good head on her shoulders.
We should be all in.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
damn... how long til the verbal? We know how this recruiting stuff works, especially lately... lets wait and see

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ms. Fudd has something in common with Kaleena in that it's hard to say which is sweeter, her stroke or her smile.Confession: I miss Kaleena. Both parts.
Ditto on missing KML. Fudd and Bueckers would both be great at UCONN but in the mold of that KLM stroke is currently #1 in the 2020 class Miss Caitlin Clark.
Pure stroke! One of the teams she carving up in this mixtape is the Philly Belles team with Kylee Watson #2 in 2020 and Celeste Taylor #14 in 2019.
Class of 2020 PG Caitlin Clark Mixtape @ EYBL Indy With All-Iowa Attack!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ms. Fudd has something in common with Kaleena in that it's hard to say which is sweeter, her stroke or her smile.

Confession: I miss Kaleena. Both parts.
Nice.

Reaction Score
I hate to be redundant again...but what a great name and game! :) Hope she becomes a Husky.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ms. Fudd has something in common with Kaleena in that it's hard to say which is sweeter, her stroke or her smile.

It's odd because when I watched Fudd play this summer KML came to mind. They're not identical----Fudd's a better ball-handler and quicker while KML had more of an interior game at times----but there were similarities. Fudd is really smooth in so many ways.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom