Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd--She's 14 and Geno has visited

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What's being multi racial have to do with anything?
Nothing, except that UConn has has a lot of luck with kids in the multiracial category, including Kaleena, Kiah, Napheesa, and Gabby. It may not be meaningful in any way. In some parts of the country, being of mixed race is not looked at favorably. Kids with that background may be more comfortable in places where similar kids have succeeded.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From Nan's news items:

Local basketball phenom is the real deal

UConn has had a lot of success with multi-racial kids. Azzi could be as good as her namesake.

Great news piece. I had heard of Fudd, but didn't know that much about her. After looking at this news piece, I have a much better understanding of who she is, her recent accomplishments (USA U16), and her background. I wonder what Geno's impression of her after watching her workout. Already at 5'11" (and perhaps still growing), she has good size for a guard.

She must have a exceptionally high skill set for Maryland to "offer" her in the 6th grade. It sounds like Brenda is following in Jeff Walz's (Louisville) footsteps. They keep offering them younger and younger. The next thing you know, some coach will offer a kid that's still in the womb, based simply on genetics. :eek:

She's now on the national landscape of top ranked HS recruits (Blue Star 30). Azzi Fudd from Arlington Virgina is a name I'm sure we'll be hearing and reading about in the months and years to come. It's a name you can't forget. It will be interesting to see how she does in high school and against top level AAU teams the next four years. It appears she'll have her pick of where she wants to attend college. UConn perhaps? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great news piece. I had heard of Fudd, but after looking at this news piece, I have a much better understanding of who she is, her recent accomplishments (USA U16), and her background. I wonder what Geno's impression of her after watching her workout.

Wow, she must have a exceptionally high skill set for Maryland to "offer" her in the 6th grade. It sounds like Brenda is following in Walz's footsteps. They keep offering them younger and younger. The next thing you know, Some coach will offer a kid that's still in the womb, based simply on genetics. :eek:
It will be interesting to see how she does in high school and against top level AAU teams the next four years. It appears she'll have her pick of where she wants to attend college. UConn perhaps? :rolleyes:
Both of her parents played the sport, and mom chose to name her after Jennifer Azzi. She looks like a high school sophomore or junior. Maybe Fudd and Buckers can be the new Taurasi and Bird.

I think Brenda was trying to grab a local kid before others knew about her.

Reaction Score
Nothing, except that UConn has has a lot of luck with kids in the multiracial category, including Kaleena, Kiah, Napheesa, and Gabby. It may not be meaningful in any way. In some parts of the country, being of mixed race is not looked at favorably. Kids with that background may be more comfortable in places where similar kids have succeeded.

Add Saniya to that list.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Both of her parents played the sport, and mom chose to name her after Jennifer Azzi. She looks like a high school sophomore or junior. Maybe Fudd and Buckers can be the new Taurasi and Bird.

I think Brenda was trying to grab a local kid before others knew about her.
Paige Bueckers (2020) we already know about, now we've been brought up to speed on Azzi Fudd (2021). I like her. I think your "Maybe Fudd and Buckers can be the new Taurasi and Bird" comment has merit. They would be huge gets for the program.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Scoop, post: 2387969

She must have a exceptionally high skill set for Maryland to "offer" her in the 6th grade. It sounds like Brenda is following in Jeff Walz's (Louisville) footsteps. They keep offering them younger and younger. The next thing you know, some coach will offer a kid that's still in the womb, based simply on genetics. :eek:

14 years old in the 6th grade? She might have trouble finding the gym.Head bang
Or did MD offer her 3 years ago?

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers (2020) we already know about, now we've been brought up to speed on Azzi Fudd (2021). I like her. I think your "Maybe Fudd and Buckers can be the new Taurasi and Bird" comment has merit. They would be huge gets for the program.

Fudd's body isn't far from pro-ready. Certainly not strength-wise but just her frame. Does she have a couple inches of growth still left in her? Also seems to have her head on straight and parents that Geno likes to see.

Bueckers has been reminding me of a skinny DT for a while. A tandem like those two might insure Geno keeps coaching. Like a a couple of perfect marble slabs given to a master sculptor.

Carnac

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Scoop, post: 2387969

14 years old in the 6th grade? She might have trouble finding the gym.Head bang
Or did MD offer her 3 years ago?

Although the 5-foot-10 guard doesn't turn 15 until November (born: 11 Nov 2002 - age 14) Fudd, Class of 2021, is not just on the radar as the next big wow in the game, she's on the Richter scale.

The article read that Maryland offered her when she was a 6th grader, years ago when she was 10-11. Brenda must be quite a visionary to see enough potential in her to offer her at that age. But as we know, (and recently reminded) offers like commitments are not worth the paper they are written on. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
If Azzi did come to Uconn,what would the over/under be on the number of times that the name Elmer is mentioned on the b/y during her four years?12-1500 maybe?

Too many to fathom. We have a lot of would be "stand ups" in here. :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fudd's body isn't far from pro-ready. Certainly not strength-wise but just her frame. Does she have a couple inches of growth still left in her? Also seems to have her head on straight and parents that Geno likes to see.

Bueckers has been reminding me of a skinny DT for a while. A tandem like those two might insure Geno keeps coaching. Like a a couple of perfect marble slabs given to a master sculptor.
Paige looks thin and needs to put on a little weight. Azzi isn't skinny and certainly isn't heavy. She needs a little more muscle, but she's only 14!!!

Reaction Score
N

I live in Virginia, was born and raised in Ct my wife was born and raised in Queens/Brooklyn NY. I have lived in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisana,\California---there are bigots everywhere. of I have not witnessed any of what you say happens in SOME PARTS of the country.\\
There are as many Bigots North as there are east, west, south. When most people around the country and in Canada look at Kia, Napheesa, Gabby, KLS, Danger, Molly etc most see great BB players. I lived in what some think was the Repressive time---maybe, I never saw it and I don't see Just think Precious comes from a Border STATE high racially charged in 1863--that does not happen today. No disrespecting of Talent anywhere in the places I have lived. Talent is talent--no race or mixed race in talent.
Milford, no disrespect to you is meant or intended--and in reading all of your postings I sure you had no malice intended. As one who has said more than his fair share of less than thoughtful comments--. There are just too many Damn Yankees All over this country to continue to keep the stereotype floating in the atmosphere.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
N

I live in Virginia, was born and raised in Ct my wife was born and raised in Queens/Brooklyn NY. I have lived in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisana,\California---there are bigots everywhere. of I have not witnessed any of what you say happens in SOME PARTS of the country.\\
There are as many Bigots North as there are east, west, south. When most people around the country and in Canada look at Kia, Napheesa, Gabby, KLS, Danger, Molly etc most see great BB players. I lived in what some think was the Repressive time---maybe, I never saw it and I don't see Just think Precious comes from a Border STATE high racially charged in 1863--that does not happen today. No disrespecting of Talent anywhere in the places I have lived. Talent is talent--no race or mixed race in talent.
Milford, no disrespect to you is meant or intended--and in reading all of your postings I sure you had no malice intended. As one who has said more than his fair share of less than thoughtful comments--. There are just too many Damn Yankees All over this country to continue to keep the stereotype floating in the atmosphere.
I have some friends who are interracial couples. They get no reaction in D.C. or the close-in suburbs, but they do get looks of disapproval and worse in small towns and more conservative part of the country. Not everyone is as open-minded as Boneyarders. Maybe it was insensitive to point that out, but I think it's a plus having kids with diverse backgrounds.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Three yeas of middle school (grades 6-8) 10+3 =13. She should celebrate her 14th birthday sometime this year, correct? :)

Fudd will be 15 in a couple of weeks. She's nearly the same age as Bueckers despite being a year behind her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What's being multi racial have to do with anything?
As one who resembles that remark I find no problem with it. I in fact have always taken great pleasure in it.

Reaction Score
I have some friends who are interracial couples. They get no reaction in D.C. or the close-in suburbs, but they do get looks of disapproval and worse in small towns and more conservative part of the country. Not everyone is as open-minded as Boneyarders. Maybe it was insensitive to point that out, but I think it's a plus having kids with diverse backgrounds.

I should have mentioned I lived in DC and Laural MD and PR and NJ---and live with 2 Black families (at different times)-- As I said Bigots and ignorant humans exist everywhere--but in today's atmosphere, most are hid under poorly lit baskets.
My federal (not military) career took me to many places for a few years here and a few there. You get to know people when you live among them--unlike just passing through. The South decent people I know --if you take away the away facade--we are very close to all being the same.
My apology--you are a decent, honorable person. I'm a bit protective of my Southern/South Western, Western friends and neighbor---\
The BY persons reflects society--America is no worse or better than the By, maybe they are a bit less into picking nits. Sorry.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@MilfordHusky while it is certainly true that UCONN has done well with multiracial players I am struggling to think of a program that has done poorly with such players. Let's face it UCONN has so many other marks of distinction as a program that the race of some of the most successful players should hardly be a consideration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom