Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

Reaction Score
This is certainly not the best news that UCONN fans could have gotten today. At the end of the day, she is graduating, she knows she is going to be a Top 5 pick in the WNBA draft, and she is making a personal decision that is best for her and her family. Lord knows, we'd like to have her in the post next year, but that isn't going to happen. Good luck, Z!

Reaction Score
If you truly understood and accepted you would stop suggesting. Will you?

Sure...........I think I've made my opinion on this subject clear...........of course I'll be right back to it next season if certain players get too little court time......

Reaction Score
So let me guess record next season 8 losses min. Ga only plays 4 because freshman don't play the first year for the Huskys. He still will be stubborn and not play freshman because it's not part of "HIS" system. Irwin and Bent become starters. Sweet sixteen at best and no home cooking in the big show. Lets c how well GA coaches

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
For the same reason other future professionals in many fields attend college on scholarship. Get a 40-50k a year education plus housing and food for free, continue to improve and learn your craft while enjoying the college experience you get once in your lifetime.

She's already attended four years of college and I presume she's on track to graduate. She could decide to attend grad school any time she wants if she's so inclined.

Contrast that with being a pro athlete. Her window of opportunity for that is finite and limited. You have to take advantage of that opportunity while you still can. She could also suffer an injury next season in college that could completely derail any chance at a pro athlete career.

Leaving now is a smart move. I wish her well.

Reaction Score
So let me guess record next season 8 losses min. Ga only plays 4 because freshman don't play the first year for the Huskys. He still will be stubborn and not play freshman because it's not part of "HIS" system. Irwin and Bent become starters. Sweet sixteen at best and no home cooking in the big show. Lets c how well GA coaches

For a minute I thought you were referring to Georgia (GA). Geno has all in control, he's going to pull an ND move with the NCAA next year...as soon as a big player wants to transfer to UConn.

Reaction Score
She is giving up a whole lot to leave early. More likely than not, she would have been an All American next year. A decent chance at a national championship. And another year of development that would have made a difference for her at the next level.

I sure will miss her smile.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure......I think I've made my opinion on this subject clear......of course I'll be right back to it next season if certain players get too little court time.
You have! And your opinion has been adopted by about 2.5 others- we get it!

Reaction Score
We will not be fine if the sight of seeing Notre Dame winning championships makes you sick. It's a sight we better get used to.

don't be so sure.................ND thrived this past season with an us against the world mentality...................let's see if they can recreate that with a full roster..................some strong teams are losing key players to graduation while others will be further fortified by strong recruiting classes..............it's going to be a wide open race

Reaction Score
Because many of the recent, prolific whiners on here have never heard of them. Some of them know nothing beyond the last couple of years.

I would love to respond but I've pledged to be quiet on this subject.............

Reaction Score
From her mouth multiple times in interviews. Wouldn’t make sense for her at all. Had a worse year than last, has a chance to leave her name all over the top of UConn record book & will have all the opportunities in the world next year with the exit for Gabby & Z. I think she is on a short list for POY next year at this point, along side Lou, Ionescu, Durr, Arike.

there may be more to the story then we know.............frankly she really, really needed another year to perfect her craft

Reaction Score
What's your source on that?
Well, his source is Geno. Isn't that the reason he gave for Meg and the other bench players not playing enough minutes, even in blowouts against our AAU competition? Sorry, AAC, Freudian slip...lol!

Reaction Score
I doubt she could come up with a personal reason for wanting to leave ND.

she's all of a sudden developed a bad reaction to the color green............she reported seeing little dancing men in hats................her most recent quote was "where's Geno Auriemma when I need him"?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I doubt she could come up with a personal reason for wanting to leave ND.

Too much pressure trying to win NC back to back. ;)

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Z moving forward. This will create a big hole to fill and opens up all sorts of opportunities for incoming recruits or interested transfers moving forward. Unfortunately, I think this may result in Lou graduating without ever playing in a National Championship game. :(

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
As said by Aaron Rodgers - RELAX!!! Last I heard, Geno is still the coach. He will figure it out.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not the least bit surprised that Stevens is leaving. I'm not sure she was ever comfortable with Geno's transformation of her into a low post banger. She played the wing at Duke for two years, correct?

She certainly doesn't have the bulk to be a low post player in the pros against that level of size and competition. I expect she will go back to being a three playing the wing. She could get away with playing the low post in college against considerably lesser competition than pro, but it won't work for her at the next level. She may very well have seen another year in Geno's low post as a waste of time if she thinks her pro future is as a three on the wing.

Anyway, congrats to her on a great college career and good luck to her in the pros.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not the least bit surprised that Stevens is leaving. I'm not sure she was ever comfortable with Geno's transformation of her into a low post banger. She played the wing at Duke for two years, correct?

She certainly doesn't have the bulk to be a low post player in the pros against that level of size and competition. I expect she will go back to being a three playing the wing. She could get away with playing the low post in college against considerably lesser competition than pro, but it won't work for her at the next level. She may very well have seen another year in Geno's low post as a waste of time if she thinks her pro future is as a three on the wing.

Anyway, congrats to her on a great college career and good luck to her in the pros.

She can not defend on the wing and her 3-point shooting was terrible this season. Wherever she goes there will be an expectation that at 6-6 she score in the lane. Not exclusively, of course, but enough. She'll need to defend in the lane and rebound.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, and that depleted Husky team, that was forced to start 2 freshmen, because they had no one else available, finished 36-2 making it to the national semifinals.
Which, as I've learned on the BY, is a failed season due to Geno not developing his freshmen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom