Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
how would you know if they are ready to contribute..they barely played......next year's freshmen are sure going to play whether he likes it or not...shame it had to come to that
I don't know it, but I'm hopeful. Megan especially looked more comfortable as the year ended. Look for he to make the same Soph jump that Crystal did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KLS plays on the perimeter so her height doesn't really factor in here. Walker has nice size but Gabby Williams she isn't. Camara has yet to show she can play more than a few minutes in mop-up time.
Lou became a much better rebounder this year. She’s also one of the most astute basketball players I’ve ever seen and will do whatever the team needs her to do. Pheesa is a great rebounder and MW demonstrated this year that she can also be a great rebounder. If the Huskies get anything at all from Touly & ONO, they’ll be just fine.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Bottom line. Will we miss Gabby, Z & Kia. Absolutely! But how much more did we think we would miss Stewie, Mo & Tuck?? We still have Pheesa, Lou & CD and some young talent that will get the opportunity they didn’t get last year. I have a lot of faith, STILL.
Good analogy and I certainly hope that you are right. I hope each "bench" player sees this as the great opportunity it is and seizes upon it. Also, hope the incoming kids see it too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lou became a much better rebounder this year. She’s also one of the most astute basketball players I’ve ever seen and will do whatever the team needs her to do. Pheesa is a great rebounder and MW demonstrated this year that she can also be a great rebounder. If the Huskies get anything at all from Touly & ONO, they’ll be just fine.

I appreciate your optimism but I can't agree. And the issue with size isn't just a rebounding one.

Reaction Score
Fine in the AAC, that's about it.
No, UConn Women’s Basketball will be fine period because the UConn Women’s Basketball team will continue to be coached by Geno Auriemma and therefore will continue to play basketball in a sound, unselfish, and unrelenting fashion at both ends of the court, continue to feature players we can all admire and respect, and continue to be the most enjoyable pro or college basketball team to watch on a daily basis because of their style of play, character and appealabily. That does not change whether UConn wins or loses in the Final Four or even if it somehow heavens forbid loses 3, 4 or even 5 games next year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why is this height argument such a big deal? We lost last year because of lack of ball handling/toughness. This year we lost because Jackie Young decided she was Maya Moore for a game. All those height issues & we haven’t lost a game in the last 2 years to the bigger team. Everyone is overreacting with a couple of fluke games. It happens.
But we did have Gabby. Not no more.:(

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A Jackie Young who is listed at 6-0 (bit of a stretch) and who grabbed 11 rebounds, 6 offensive. That wasn't size, it was "want to." UConn can use a little more of that next season.
She was the player Geno decided to "make beat us." Unfortunately, she was up to the challenge. Good for her.

Reaction Score
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

You guys are worrying about things that hasn’t happen yet. Everybody’s blood pressure meds are going to be upped in their next physical with these worries. UCONN always bounces back. Batouly is going to be great. She was playing mop up time bc she was injured through out the first 4 months and in the words of CD she couldn’t catch up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I appreciate your optimism but I can't agree. And the issue with size isn't just a rebounding one.
I’m certainly not implying that the loss of Stevens doesn’t hurt, or that UConn won’t suffer a loss or two or three next year, but this is UConn. I predict that Geno will be reinvigorated with the challenge posed by being a true underdog next year, and he will figure out a way to get UConn in the mix come March of next season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
it's certainly not hard to understand....I've read it almost every day here and for the most part I agree with it......but every time I suggested that perhaps Geno could be a bit flexible with that approach because MW and Coombs would be needed, I was lambasted as being a fool for even questioning Geno's philosophy......now all I hear is that MW is going to start next year.....is it not fair to ask what changed to make anyone think she deserved to see the court if her practice mentality didn't change? I believe you took a shot at me today when I added the Gregg Popovich article where several examples of his changing philosophy were cited....you can't have it both ways just because a bit of desperation has set in folks....
If you truly understood and accepted you would stop suggesting. Will you?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN fans are pretty raw right now. Loss in the final 4, hated rival ND with a big comeback and wins the NC, Z announces for the draft, and Ezi decided to stay in Australia. Not a lot of good news coming our way of late. So I get why some on here are a bit frosty.

Bottom line, though, UCONN will be fine. We have always paid lip service to "UCONN will not win NC's every single season". So it comes down to this - are you a fan of UCONN or just a fan of winning? Because if it's a fan just of winning, then you are in for a world of hurt.

But if you are a true UCONN fan, you will shed some metaphorical (or actual) tears from occurrences the past few weeks, then put your big boy/girl pants back on, and root hard for our ladies.

Will we lack "____" (fill in the blank - size, toughness, moxie, experience, etc)? Sure. But the coaches will do their best to prepare the kids for a deep run next season. Many of us kept saying "enjoy the ride because sooner or later it will be the halcyon days of yore" (just ask Tennessee fans about that).

I'm not asking anyone not to feel frustrated, or whatever, but this program, team, players and coaches owe us exactly nothing, and yet they give so much to us.

Questions for next year:
  1. Would Geno consider a JUCO or graduate transfer? Are there any good ones out there who are 6'4" or so?
  2. Will Megan have a sophomore leap more like Dangerfield, or Bent?
  3. Will Coombs/Camara get healthy and improve next season?
  4. In spite of being freshmen, will ONO and/or Williams be able to be counted on to contribute right away?
  5. What will UCONN do to solve the height problem? Or will we become a DePaul or Villanova next season?
I'm sure there are others, but next year will be a nice test for UCONN fans' tolerance. We made a TON of fun of LVol fans on their board as they melted down over how poorly their team has been coached and their performances and results. Can you imagine what this board would be like if the shoe were on the other foot? I'd not like to be a mod for that fiasco.

So as so many fans said, we can enjoy the ride while still being realistic. Is it likely we lose 4-5 games next season? Yes it is. I can't see us dropping out of the top 10 but I think we will struggle to be in the top 5, in spite of 2 AA's on the team. Part of the beauty is that others will be required to step up if we want to succeed. Let's hope they are up for it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn will be fine next year, the only opponents who seem like better teams (at this moment) will be ND and Baylor. Louisville and South Carolina will be tough, but those seem like games that we can win, considering what they are also losing. 30+ point wins will not be the norm next season. But it’s UConn, KLS and Geno will not concede

Reaction Score
UCONN fans are pretty raw right now. Loss in the final 4, hated rival ND with a big comeback and wins the NC, Z announces for the draft, and Ezi decided to stay in Australia. Not a lot of good news coming our way of late. So I get why some on here are a bit frosty.

Bottom line, though, UCONN will be fine. We have always paid lip service to "UCONN will not win NC's every single season". So it comes down to this - are you a fan of UCONN or just a fan of winning? Because if it's a fan just of winning, then you are in for a world of hurt.

But if you are a true UCONN fan, you will shed some metaphorical (or actual) tears from occurrences the past few weeks, then put your big boy/girl pants back on, and root hard for our ladies.

Will we lack "____" (fill in the blank - size, toughness, moxie, experience, etc)? Sure. But the coaches will do their best to prepare the kids for a deep run next season. Many of us kept saying "enjoy the ride because sooner or later it be the halcyon days of yore" (just ask Tennessee fans about that).

I'm not asking anyone not to feel frustrated, or whatever, but this program, team, players and coaches owe us exactly nothing, and yet they give so much to us.

Questions for next year:
  1. Would Geno consider a JUCO or graduate transfer? Are there any good ones out there who are 6'4" or so?
  2. Will Megan have a sophomore leap more like Dangerfield, or Bent?
  3. Will Coombs get healthy and improve next season?
  4. In spite of being freshmen, will One and Williams be able to be counted on to contribute right away?
  5. What will UCONN do to solve the height problem? Or will we become a DePaul or Villanova next season?
I'm sure there are others, but next year will be a nice test for UCONN fans tolerance. We made a TON of fun of LVol fans on their board as they melted down over how poorly their team has been coached and their performances and results. Can you imagine what this board would be like if the shoe were on the other foot? I'd not like to be a mod for that fiasco.

So as so many fans said, we can enjoy the ride while still being realistic. Is it likely we lose 4-5 games next season? Yes it is. I can't see us dropping out of the top 10 but I think we will struggle to be in the top 5, in spite of 2 AA's on the team. Part of the beauty is that others will be required to step up if we want to succeed. Let's hop they are up for it!

We will not be fine if the sight of seeing Notre Dame winning championships makes you sick. It's a sight we better get used to.

Reaction Score
Oh dear... how will we EVER recover from this? I fear we might not even make the tournament next year, BY friends. We appear to be a long shot for the WNIT. We're absolutely doomed with no chance of recovering at this point. :rolleyes:

Next year might be tougher than seasons we've witnessed in recent history, but do remember that this is UConn. Have some faith in Geno - though I know after two heart breakers in two years, that might be hard - and more importantly, have some faith in the girls we love so much. I know the offseason is difficult with idle minds and all, but isn't this doomed narrative exhausting for some people?

Reaction Score
Good for her. Why play for free when you can get paid. Good luck to Z, being on the team for two Final Fours is nothing to sneeze at.

What's a scholarship worth these days? My guess it's about the same as a rookie salary in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
What's a scholarship worth these days? My guess it's about the same as a rookie salary in the WNBA.
A scholarship is worth more than a rookie salary. The top five draft picks make $45k or somewhere around there. What school nowadays is $45k/year when you factor in food, books, housing, etc.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom