Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Reaction Score
The problem with the Portal and BIG's. The transferee comes with baggage . I.e., 2, 3,4 years of learning one method; and face it Geno is different than all others to play for, it is harder to unlearn than learn. Second part of that is: She may have personality issues accepted by all other than geno/Christine.
But thank you for the thought. There may be someone out there for Uconn. I do advocate looking into it at least. Dorka took much of the season to get into the UConn mode and was needed, still is.
Exactly! They have unlearn the old and learn the new at the same time.....and the time they take on the court diminishes the opportunities of those talented ones who are already here and need more rapid development. Hence, I am not one of the advocates.....UConn's roster next year has enough and I am thinking that not only the holdovers will be much improved but the two newcomers will contribute.

I am hoping Ayanna in particular changes the athletic range of the wings along with Aubrey to combine with Caroline and enhance UConn's ability to mix and match to advantage - they would have enough size and two are very athletic.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
WOW alot of good points especially comparing UConn to SC. Remember this. We had Griff out, Evina sprained her foot, Azzi was sick, Liv had a groin pull and SC scored one more point from the floor then we did. The biggest difference was fouls 26 to 4. If SC had been in foul trouble it might have made a huge difference and we werent close to healthy.

Reaction Score
1649722358327.png
Uconn has all the necessary talent to win the n.c. next year. They just need to play with a little fire in their eyes and be commited.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
WOW alot of good points especially comparing UConn to SC. Remember this. We had Griff out, Evina sprained her foot, Azzi was sick, Liv had a groin pull and SC scored one more point from the floor then we did. The biggest difference was fouls 26 to 4. If SC had been in foul trouble it might have made a huge difference and we werent close to healthy.
@Tonyc I think you mean FT attempts 26 to 4 not fouls. I don't believe that to be the biggest difference in the game. SC held it biggest lead ( +16) with 4:13 remaining in the game on a Henderson jumper. The remaining SC points were scored from the foul line as UCONN became desperate and began to foul. The biggest difference in this game and the last three matchup with SC is that UCONN has lost the rebounding margin handily and increasingly -(+13, +17 & + 25). In the first half of this game South Carolina was getting two and three FGA per possession and the FGA at the half were UCONN 24 , SC 41.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unless my eyes deceive me, she seems to be broader and thicker than Ono. How old is that picture? it looks like a younger picture of her.
Don’t known. I googled her. > images.

Reaction Score
Tony C, Mr. Positive himself. Thanks again. Your points are well taken I believe your final sentence is absolutely accurate. Thanks TonyC.

Reaction Score
Which Collier are you referring to?

So you think the injuries were bad Which we both agree with. But let me
ask you this. Pre-injuries do we find Nika and CD? Does Dorka find her groove without starting a few games? Does Azzi become a go to? Do we play all three bigs on the court as much as we did during that part of the season?

UCONN has had the Bigs just not used like others across the country. They didn't need to be featured they just needed a cultivated culture that sees them as an equitable component.
Two-time A/A Charlie Collier. She ended up going to Texas. And eventually became the number 1 draft pick in the WNBA last year.

And in regards to CD and Nika-- Nika absolutely. We "found her" last year. So, no reason why we wouldn't have found her again.

As far as CD - she was terrific in the game Paige got hurt. And then during the run during the middle of the season she was sensational. But how much did she help the team the last 4+ weeks? Other than seeding what did she significantly do the last 4+ weeks? It's not her fault. She was banged up.

As far as cultivation, when UCON recruits a player, there is no "God-given right" they will be a very good force in the paint. However, the UCONN bigs did get positive mention from Indiana in which the coach was surprised how physical UCONN was,. And UCONN outrebounded Stanford- a far better effort than last year vs Arizona to boot. That was the number 2 ranked team in the nation. And even without Dorka, UCONN's frontline held up. That is cultivation.

What it comes down to is when can there be an acknowledgment that the team has been cultivated as far as it can go and leave it at that? Does this mean the 11 championships UCONN won that all of the opposing coaches didn’t cultivate their teams adequately enough too? Where is the line drawn? Maybe Liv isn't good enough to be cultivated any more than she was. Maybe the soph Edwards a 23 ranked recruit is good enough to perform well enough vs everyone but the number 1 ranked team at this point in her young career? With those teams that cultivate inside play, only 1+% go farther than UCONN over the past several years.

Reaction Score
While the injuries helped them grow faster individually, they got healthy with very little time to become truly a team that executes like UConn excellent teams usually do. I couldn't watch because of the chances in making connections on offense were wasted by just a little late here and there.....then forced them to dribble a lot. And yes, SC's defense was a little quicker than Stanford but hey, they were better coordinated against SC last year (almost the same team) because the same group played together from the beginning....then they weren't mentally prepared against Arizona. Not clear they would have won against Stanford but.....

Sure, they will be better motivated and the coaching staff will work to get them closer to where they should be: Dorka becoming stronger; both Dorka and Aaliyah becoming more stable with better footwork; Amari to grow faster to play more freely - she has a number of skills which are quite useful. But what I am hoping for is a quick assimilation of Isuneh and Ayanna so operate smoothly in the offense and defense as well. Both are versatile, both can hit from long range with Isuneh supposedly having better accuracy; Ayanna's athleticism and speed will go well with Aaliyah's strength.
I agree with your 1st para. Though don't agree with your points about Patterson., She is a not a good shooter and a terrific attribute of hers is rebounding. Putting her at the wing would be a waste. She can be a terrific PF but maybe too young as a frosh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your charlie Collier point is interesting.

Real simple Geno's hands were forced once injuries happened. When he turned his head he had no one to turn to. It allowed the players to have a chance that they wouldn't get under normal circumstances. Geno made it to the final having an idea of his entire roster.

My point on post players wasn't just centered around Liv it's for all of our post. Every point isn't anti Geno nor his 11 chips. It's clear he can coach.

Geno screams and rant for the ball to be in certain players hands. During Covid season you could hear court conversation clearly with lack of a crowd. You could hear Geno clearly screaming for players to get the ball and shoot. He wasn't shy about it. He openly campaigned for it. That is cultivating a culture. If Geno wants a inside presence best believe he will have one.

Reaction Score
Over the years, UConn has fielded plenty of athletic and physical teams. However, we've become less physical and less athletic recently. The recruiting has fallen short the past several years in that regard, in my opinion, and things won't change much, in terms of National Championships, until the recruiting improves.

The two bigs coming in seem to fit that bill, but what can we realistically expect from freshmen bigs?

But it's not just the inside game, imo. We also need more athleticism on the perimeter. We don't have the speed or defensive prowess as in years past.

I'm fully aware (and appreciative) of the incredible (insane) FF streak, but I want UConn to win the National Championship again, and to do that, imo, we need a higher grade of athlete added to the mix.

Reaction Score
Your charlie Collier point is interesting.

Real simple Geno's hands were forced once injuries happened. When he turned his head he had no one to turn to. It allowed the players to have a chance that they wouldn't get under normal circumstances. Geno made it to the final having an idea of his entire roster.

My point on post players wasn't just centered around Liv it's for all of our post. Every point isn't anti Geno nor his 11 chips. It's clear he can coach.

Geno screams and rant for the ball to be in certain players hands. During Covid season you could hear court conversation clearly with lack of a crowd. You could hear Geno clearly screaming for players to get the ball and shoot. He wasn't shy about it. He openly campaigned for it. That is cultivating a culture. If Geno wants a inside presence best believe he will have one.
It's (Geno’s philosophy) cultivating a culture to win. That's the winning culture. As I stated in my last paragraph- when is it that you know that “you don’t have it” a certain position? This current Geno culture on the other hand allows him to get "Paige Bueckers." With Paige Bueckers and those top number 1 recruits, he gets- you can cultivate them to get you farther along than you can with posts that need to brought up with clay.

Last year his 3 players in the paint were Liv and Griffin and Edwards. Liv and Griffin would need so much cultivation that Geno would have had to sacrifice wins and getting past Baylor to get them to have anything near an impact which is highly doubtful anyway. Just because a player puts on a UCONN jersey doesn't turn her into Wonder Woman. Not all players progress enough. . And with Edwards she was the number 23 ranked recruit. (It seems many of us have concerns with DeBerry, Brady and Patterson and yet all 3 were more highly rated than Edwards so what can you reasonably expect from a frosh?) SO there was a good chance AE was flawed at some spots. She didn't get much time at all for the Canadian team to boot because there are flaws. As a frosh if you cultivate her more it probably meant you were giving less time or less offensive runs doing what the team does best- and that is have your guards - who were former number 1 recruits’ score.

IMO that's what good coaching does- it plays to a strength to get as much wins as the coach can while working to make the other positions “good enough” until they show more. IMO this year they showed a lot considering the injuries. I was very impressed with Ae the last month or so. Which is why you had for example the Indiana coach speak how physical UCONN was. That’s progression and cultivation.

Reaction Score
Over the years, UConn has fielded plenty of athletic and physical teams. However, we've become less physical and less athletic recently. The recruiting has fallen short the past several years in that regard, in my opinion, and things won't change much, in terms of National Championships, until the recruiting improves.

The two bigs coming in seem to fit that bill, but what can we realistically expect from freshmen bigs?

But it's not just the inside game, imo. We also need more athleticism on the perimeter. We don't have the speed or defensive prowess as in years past.

I'm fully aware (and appreciative) of the incredible (insane) FF streak, but I want UConn to win the National Championship again, and to do that, imo, we need a higher grade of athlete added to the mix.
I agree he hasn't nailed some spots. He's not getting/producing that other (2nd) college A/A. lately. And as I have said - they have had a lot of bad luck.

Stevens leaving them and Camara always being hurt- what other top player is going to come so late in the process?

Collier was coming and it took an extreme Hurricane for her to ultimately decline the offer.

Last year we would have had some extra athleticism with Walker (she was small but physical for her size especially if you put her at the SF which could've happened last year.) but she left - a 1st team A/A as a junior. Who loses what UCONN has (lose your only 1st team a/.a as a junior for example) while still getting consistently where UCONN goes?

What teams loses this talent and are still able to keep getting back to Final Fours? And Aubrey Griffin was a freak athlete - she went down.

And yes they could use more athleticism. While other teams could use more skill. Stanford apparently could have used more skill, right? It;s nice that we as fans are bummed out about only being in Final Fours but if Walker comes back- we are favored to win it all last year. If Stevens comes back or Camara was healthy early on we would have probably been favored to win it all. If Collier comes etc . . .

Bad luck.

Reaction Score
It's (Geno’s philosophy) cultivating a culture to win. That's the winning culture. As I stated in my last paragraph- when is it that you know that “you don’t have it” a certain position? This current Geno culture on the other hand allows him to get "Paige Bueckers." With Paige Bueckers and those top number 1 recruits, he gets- you can cultivate them to get you farther along than you can with posts that need to brought up with clay.

Last year his 3 players in the paint were Liv and Griffin and Edwards. Liv and Griffin would need so much cultivation that Geno would have had to sacrifice wins and getting past Baylor to get them to have anything near an impact which is highly doubtful anyway. Just because a player puts on a UCONN jersey doesn't turn her into Wonder Woman. Not all players progress enough. . And with Edwards she was the number 23 ranked recruit. (It seems many of us have concerns with DeBerry, Brady and Patterson and yet all 3 were more highly rated than Edwards so what can you reasonably expect from a frosh?) SO there was a good chance AE was flawed at some spots. She didn't get much time at all for the Canadian team to boot because there are flaws. As a frosh if you cultivate her more it probably meant you were giving less time or less offensive runs doing what the team does best- and that is have your guards - who were former number 1 recruits’ score.

IMO that's what good coaching does- it plays to a strength to get as much wins as the coach can while working to make the other positions “good enough” until they show more. IMO this year they showed a lot considering the injuries. I was very impressed with Ae the last month or so. Which is why you had for example the Indiana coach speak how physical UCONN was. That’s progression and cultivatiSacrificing wins.
Sacrificing wins. Bingo!

Reaction Score

Great points.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would agree with this. We are going to use inside players to help out and pressure Paige as much as we can. She'll still get hers because of superior ball handling skills and ability to hit contested shots. Azzi is a great shooter but has not yet shown such skills. She's not going to get alot of open shots against us. She will need to be perceptive of hitting an open big if our bigs cheat outside too much.
Hope Azzi is given alot of KLM videos torching SC (and others) to look at this summer.

Reaction Score
I agree with your 1st para. Though don't agree with your points about Patterson., She is a not a good shooter and a terrific attribute of hers is rebounding. Putting her at the wing would be a waste. She can be a terrific PF but maybe too young as a frosh.
Interesting comment from someone who supports UConn coaching staff cultivation approach to developing their players: putting on a limit on what the player can or should do. The scouting reports on her is not so dire re: her shooting as you make it out to be. And, wing doesn't mean someone planted outside the arc all the time. All examples will pale in comparison but I remember Maya having different roles on offense and defense, so much so that you would find her shooting threes often because she could do it well and do other things as well. And, she collected a lot of rebounds. UConn's offense, after all, is a motion offense....and they run at every opportunity.

And, on defense, her matchup ups could virtually be against anybody, putting her in position to go after more rebounds. Besides, UConn defense is primarily a switching defense so she could find herself virtually anywhere when the ball goes up. Since she has a nose for rebounds, she will go after them just the same.

Both ESPN and Premier Basketball Report give her more credit for her improving range to 3pt land. After all, as a prolific scorer that she is, she has to be very good to a certain range (mid).

But of course, we'll see for ourselves when she finally plays and how Coach will use her and I am certain he will find a way to use her quite a bit to get her ready for the year-end tournaments, given her athleticism. Freshmen wings have assimilated faster at UConn and the way the team plays, they have plenty of opportunities to rebound on both ends....the only reduction in that opportunity is if she stays stationary outside on half court offense. But, she doesn't have to be in this motion offense....that would be part of the assimilation and cultivation process.

Yeah, I know.....Aubrey and Mir are a pair of athletic players......but, having had a glimpse of what Ayanna can do, her high prospect rating is not a mirage.

Reaction Score

How could I disagree with such high knowledgeable Uconn fans liking this. BUT, even the greatest coach can't be a fit for every player. Uconn has high requirements Basketballl I Q of course but she can't be a kid everyone dislikes. A team player.
My belief is Uconn with Paige, Fudd, Caroline, Edwards, Muhl, is a winning combination. They need someone to get the ball off the boards and dish for the fast break. All the while able to score under he boards. I keep harping on Stokes but she won games by not allowing those quick guard to make easy shots. Uconn hasn't had that kind of player for the lean years (silly calling making the FF and the NC, Lean years????)

Reaction Score
Interesting comment from someone who supports UConn coaching staff cultivation approach to developing their players: putting on a limit on what the player can or should do. The scouting reports on her is not so dire re: her shooting as you make it out to be. And, wing doesn't mean someone planted outside the arc all the time. All examples will pale in comparison but I remember Maya having different roles on offense and defense, so much so that you would find her shooting threes often because she could do it well and do other things as well. And, she collected a lot of rebounds. UConn's offense, after all, is a motion offense....and they run at every opportunity.

And, on defense, her matchup ups could virtually be against anybody, putting her in position to go after more rebounds. Besides, UConn defense is primarily a switching defense so she could find herself virtually anywhere when the ball goes up. Since she has a nose for rebounds, she will go after them just the same.

Both ESPN and Premier Basketball Report give her more credit for her improving range to 3pt land. After all, as a prolific scorer that she is, she has to be very good to a certain range (mid).

But of course, we'll see for ourselves when she finally plays and how Coach will use her and I am certain he will find a way to use her quite a bit to get her ready for the year-end tournaments, given her athleticism. Freshmen wings have assimilated faster at UConn and the way the team plays, they have plenty of opportunities to rebound on both ends....the only reduction in that opportunity is if she stays stationary outside on half court offense. But, she doesn't have to be in this motion offense....that would be part of the assimilation and cultivation process.

Yeah, I know.....Aubrey and Mir are a pair of athletic players......but, having had a glimpse of what Ayanna can do, her high prospect rating is not a mirage.
Agree and disagree. The last sentence is true about Ayanna. Aubrey, is so FAST she is or appears to be playing out of control, misses a lot drives to the basket with too much speed. She is a Gabby type player (not a Gabby). Mir ain't no more.
everything else I like.
As we have seen in over the years; if you are a good top IQ player that can score you play as a Freshman (Dt, Sveta, Shea, Stewie, Maya, Paige, Fudd, Caroline (there are others). If Ayanna/Tommey can make this cut they'll play next year.

Reaction Score
You do realize South Carolina has lost to Missouri (69-70, 47 to 32 rebs) and Kentucky (62-64, 44 to 32 rebs) respectively.

South Carolina is a super #1 team but not unbeatably. Any schools with a good day and coaching plan, (and also some good luck) can beat South Carolina even with less rebounds.
Just because Missouri and Kentucky had LESS rebounds in these victories does not mean they weren’t competitive like UConn was under the basket. SC had only 12 more rebounds than Kentucky did and only 15 more than Missouri did. However, no coaching plan was going to help UConn with South Carolina getting 25 more rebounds than UConn did. If Dorka doesn’t break her wrist maybe UConn had a chance, but even there I’m not so sure.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure what you mean by your 1st few sentences but I think you mean because I say she is a 4 it means that I'm suggesting that Geno can't or shouldn't have her ever take any outside shots? If that is your point, that wouldn't be the case. Look at history, Geno has always let his talented 4's the opportunity to shoot from the outside. He even said many years ago that he would have let Griner an opportunity to shoot more from the outside and she was a dominant 5.And if you are suggesting her growth would be stunted as a freshmen playing the 4, I don’t get that either but I'm not sure you are suggesting that. Anyhow, imo Patterson has to learn to punish players in the paint.

And I don't understand your Maya point at all. Maya was a gifted 3 point shooter. So with her athleticism combined with her super jumper, I don't understand your comparison.

In regards to Patterson's outside game, on ESPN where did you see she has a 3 point game? And with your after all comment, sure in high school she could show she has a mid-range shot but taking that shot more than a couple of times in a big tight close game with defenders near your size is a lot different than High School. Over the years don’t we hear how H/S is different than college? SO in frosh year it is possible that her mid-range won't be so hot, right?

And finally, while freshmen wings have assaulted faster at UCONN, so have players like Edwards and Griffin and I believe Patterson can be. The two aforementioned were able to compete vs 4's right away which I have no doubt Patterson will. In regards to your point of plenty of opportunities to rebound, I'm not sure what that means. When UCONN is playing against the top tier teams, she'll have "plenty more opportunities" to utilize her strength if she is at the 4 than the 3. And in terms of cohesion and chemistry, you'd want her getting acclimated to the PF spot as much as possible.

If you are right, great. If she has that shot then she can be awesome. But I remember people calling Edwards a wing. Matter of fact I think the husky website initially had Edwards listed as a g/f. At least initially, no way offensively she was a wing.

I agree with all your points on defense but I'm talking offense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Exactly! They have unlearn the old and learn the new at the same time.....and the time they take on the court diminishes the opportunities of those talented ones who are already here and need more rapid development. Hence, I am not one of the advocates.....UConn's roster next year has enough and I am thinking that not only the holdovers will be much improved but the two newcomers will contribute.

I am hoping Ayanna in particular changes the athletic range of the wings along with Aubrey to combine with Caroline and enhance UConn's ability to mix and match to advantage - they would have enough size and two are very athletic.
It is perhaps the best trait of a Huskies fan to be fiercely loyal to our entire roster, but in assessing the capabilities of that roster we should be objective. Whether we are or not Geno is. The last time Geno talked about Aubrey he said she was still trying to find her place/places on the court. Maybe a track star, but to date a very limited basketball player who stalls the offense when she is out there. Hanging near the rim and pulling down rebounds is not enough. Sinking the occasional/flukey 12 footer isn't enough either. If I get mud on my face this coming season I will be delighted, but no one should be penciling Aubrey into a role she has not demonstrated she can fill.

Reaction Score
I'm not just looking at SC though. GT, Louisville, UCF, Depaul. Now, yes, they were banged up throughout the season, but IMO they should have been able to weather some of these storms. Villanova? And, for sure, it's not all physicality. Am I the only one who thought there were times they looked like a deer in the headlights? I expect less of that next season and more assuredness and less tightening up. One of my favorite games ever is this one.

Stewie...look at her face at tipoff
KML...BADASS...you can't stop me even if you're in my face
MOJEFF...too quick...dribbling and dishing
TUCK...not big, but confident and never hesitates around the rim.
Nurse...all out...all the time.

Not a very big team, except Stewie. Offense...smooth as it ever was, but the players just were tough and weren't bothered by physicality. They just backdoored teams that overplayed them.

Great post. Obviously this clip is of one of the greatest teams ever assembled so it's hard to replicate. There was another one which was obviously a different year with them on the road vs SC. The one thing that stood out, and I know everyone looks unbelievable in highlights, but each player was pretty good one on one. Like they were able to make quick decisive moves whether it be on the perimeter or on the post. Just a really skilled team Stewie is hitting fadeaways, Tuck just has great footwork . I think moreover, Jefferson who may be one of the more underrated college basketball point guards of all time, was so quick and able to beat anyone off the dribble. I think AE and CD will be able to create their own opportunities one on one next season. I wonder if Dorka or Aubrey will be able to do the same. Also one of my biggest concerns was related to the tempo and pace of the team and the constant need to run offense. I wonder if that will change next year as well

Reaction Score
Just because Missouri and Kentucky had LESS rebounds in these victories does not mean they weren’t competitive like UConn was under the basket. SC had only 12 more rebounds than Kentucky did and only 15 more than Missouri did. However, no coaching plan was going to help UConn with South Carolina getting 25 more rebounds than UConn did. If Dorka doesn’t break her wrist maybe UConn had a chance, but even there I’m not so sure.
Where did I say Missouri and Kentucky weren't competitive like UConn? Read my post again.

Reaction Score
Where did I say Missouri and Kentucky weren't competitive like UConn? Read my post again.
You never stated that they WERE competitive in rebounding, you stated that both teams were out rebounded by SC but they still won. They barely won. My beef with your post is that getting out rebounded by 12 or 15 (wins for Missouri, Kentucky), proves that SC is beatable. In these two cases, yes that’s true, but having LESS rebounds by a factor of 25 (in UConn’s case) is definitely not true, I don’t care what the game plan is.

Reaction Score
You never stated that they WERE competitive in rebounding, you stated that both teams were out rebounded by SC but they still won. They barely won. My beef with your post is that getting out rebounded by 12 or 15 (wins for Missouri, Kentucky), proves that SC is beatable. In these two cases, yes that’s true, but having LESS rebounds by a factor of 25 (in UConn’s case) is definitely not true, I don’t care what the game plan is.
I repeat again, read my post. Do you read English? Also don't add something I didn't say. Your beef of my post is your misleading and completely wrong.

This is exactly what I said while you on purposely remove some of my words:
"South Carolina is a super #1 team but not unbeatably. Any schools with a good day and coaching plan, (and also some good luck) can beat South Carolina even with less rebounds."

Also I never mention "UConn" in my post.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom