Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Reaction Score
They aren't double teaming the post. They have little respect for the UCONN post. Against SC imo the need is a to make a threat inside so players like Boston don't jump out as much on the outside. There has to be a threat inside. Otherwise they will keep trying to continually aggressively trying to prevent UCONN guards to get the ball. They will let the freshman Brady launch outside shots to beat them. They don't want Paige or Azzi for example to beat them.
I would agree with this. We are going to use inside players to help out and pressure Paige as much as we can. She'll still get hers because of superior ball handling skills and ability to hit contested shots. Azzi is a great shooter but has not yet shown such skills. She's not going to get alot of open shots against us. She will need to be perceptive of hitting an open big if our bigs cheat outside too much.

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of WBB basketball and of course I watch everything UCONN. I have seen a lot of programs start out with raw clay in the post and seen programs work that clay into formidable post players. I could give you my reasons as to why but that would create a whole other argument that I'm not interested in going back in forth about. I'll just say it looks different when others are crafting a post player.

Post presence is a mindset.
The teams that start out with raw clay - many don’t reach the finals or semi-finals. Jim Calhoun once was being criticized for not playing a big post- I think he was a German who was raw but very big - and at the time early on in his UCON coaching tenure he was taking calls on WTIC or talking to Joe D and Joe would ask him questions (I forget which.). The question was why wasn’t he playing him. And JC said I could go and play him, but it would sacrifice games. And he asked, “is that what the fans and the university wants?” To play that physical style needs a ton of work during games. Then what about the perimeter? And do you think top guard recruits are going to be happy they are losing games/. Not getting shots because the intent is to “hope” a less talented big “might become” more successful than going to consistent Final Fours year-over-year?

I read a post on this thread I can’t find it now – but I think someone suggested “Things have to change?” Huh???????????????? Going to FF’s every year and recruiting as UCONN every year as well as they do and not even being a P5 conference,. And yet “things have to change?”

Anyhow, imo nearly all of the teams you are implying that if they start from clay, sure their offense inside is maybe more robust than UCONN. - But it has been proven over time for nearly all teams, a general rule is starting from clay in college probably isn't going to get you to many Final Fours. At least not near as often as Geno has with his style.

So he has to keep winning - and balance how much to work on low post play during games. It's just that his style has been working over the years. As a result, he just needs a better post player than can get easy baskets. He needs Stevens to stay one more year. He needs a Camara to be healthy. He needs a Hurricane not to hit Texas before college starts so Collier would have come. He needs a season in which all of his posts are healthy vs top competition at once vs elite coemption unlike this year in which he would have a full season to work with his team.

If he has some of these things, imo “the mindset” would be much better for na already super successful tremendous program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would agree with this. We are going to use inside players to help out and pressure Paige as much as we can. She'll still get hers because of superior ball handling skills and ability to hit contested shots. Azzi is a great shooter but has not yet shown such skills. She's not going to get alot of open shots against us. She will need to be perceptive of hitting an open big if our bigs cheat outside too much.
It's a pity Azzi was hurt the 1st game and this one she was sick. The other player UCONN will have next year is Ducharme. Would have liked a full evaluation but whatever. Your team is a beast. See how much it is rattling some on here? :):)

In a way maybe rightfully so. But still . . .

Reaction Score
I'm not just looking at SC though. GT, Louisville, UCF, Depaul. Now, yes, they were banged up throughout the season, but IMO they should have been able to weather some of these storms. Villanova? And, for sure, it's not all physicality. Am I the only one who thought there were times they looked like a deer in the headlights? I expect less of that next season and more assuredness and less tightening up. One of my favorite games ever is this one.

Stewie...look at her face at tipoff
KML...BADASS...you can't stop me even if you're in my face
MOJEFF...too quick...dribbling and dishing
TUCK...not big, but confident and never hesitates around the rim.
Nurse...all out...all the time.

Not a very big team, except Stewie. Offense...smooth as it ever was, but the players just were tough and weren't bothered by physicality. They just backdoored teams that overplayed them.

Oh I do miss those days! What a game that was.

Reaction Score
It's a pity Azzi was hurt the 1st game and this one she was sick. The other player UCONN will have next year is Ducharme. Would have liked a full evaluation but whatever. Your team is a beast. See how much it is rattling some on here? :):)

In a way maybe rightfully so. But still . . .
Azzi basically has not been fully "operational" in the past two years. Hampered during her last year of AAU and no senior year due to coved. No telling how ling her foot has been less than 100%. She looked a step slow and limited in movement all year - not just when she faced us. Oh she can shoot. No doubt, but this offseason is crucial for her to take "the next step" toward greatness.

Reaction Score
It's now one week after the NCG. I feel a little safer here now. Yes, a big post would help, but there is one more thing

UConn must be prepared to stop SC's big runs next year. In 3 of the last 4 games, SC has had a quarter where they just blow UConn out. Those were all SC wins. 2020 huuge blowout first quarter. Loss. 2021 no blowout quarter, UConn win. 2021 Fall - Blowout 4th quarter. Loss . NCG huge 1st quarter.

When SC gets on a roll, Geno needs to slow us down. Timeouts, Lineup changes. Slow down the offense and the game till SC's hand cools off. Geno is legendary. He knows how to do it but must realize that SC is a hot/cold team and special plans are needed to slow their rolls. Don't run with us when we are hot. Resume your normal game plan when SC cools off.
Geno "needs to realize" that he needs a healthy team to possibly better stop the SC runs. That "helps," right? Not saying he would win. But he did beat SC last year too. This year not once were they healthy vs SC. But not only in the post- but either a more healthy Paige and/or a mindset change in Paige to shoot the ball more. So maybe he should call a timeout and yell at her to shoot- hahaha. During that 11-2 run- two times she could've / should've taken shots. And if Boston come sou ton her- take her even if it is 20 foot jumper.

Griffin also- would've matched up athletically. Patterson can possibly next year. Both of those two can help next year possibly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not just looking at SC though. GT, Louisville, UCF, Depaul. Now, yes, they were banged up throughout the season, but IMO they should have been able to weather some of these storms. Villanova? And, for sure, it's not all physicality. Am I the only one who thought there were times they looked like a deer in the headlights? I expect less of that next season and more assuredness and less tightening up. One of my favorite games ever is this one.

Stewie...look at her face at tipoff
KML...BADASS...you can't stop me even if you're in my face
MOJEFF...too quick...dribbling and dishing
TUCK...not big, but confident and never hesitates around the rim.
Nurse...all out...all the time.

Not a very big team, except Stewie. Offense...smooth as it ever was, but the players just were tough and weren't bothered by physicality. They just backdoored teams that overplayed them.

Whether or not UConn could have pulled out some of the early season games they lost is debatable, and quite frankly ancient history. Once Paige was back in the lineup the Huskies hammered everyone they faced, including Nova in the BE championship game. Then the Huskies navigated the toughest path to the national championship of any team I can remember. UConn lost to a great SC team. As great as Stewie & company were they never faced any team quite like this year’s SC team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's now one week after the NCG. I feel a little safer here now. Yes, a big post would help, but there is one more thing

UConn must be prepared to stop SC's big runs next year. In 3 of the last 4 games, SC has had a quarter where they just blow UConn out. Those were all SC wins. 2020 huuge blowout first quarter. Loss. 2021 no blowout quarter, UConn win. 2021 Fall - Blowout 4th quarter. Loss . NCG huge 1st quarter.

When SC gets on a roll, Geno needs to slow us down. Timeouts, Lineup changes. Slow down the offense and the game till SC's hand cools off. Geno is legendary. He knows how to do it but must realize that SC is a hot/cold team and special plans are needed to slow their rolls. Don't run with us when we are hot. Resume your normal game plan when SC cools off.
You are describing exactly what UConn used to do to opponents….:oops:

Reaction Score
Uconn needs to score against South Carolina from the outside...........ultimately UConn needs to find a way to get Fudd, Bueckers and Ducharme more open shots......that's their advantage and the only way they win against SC.......hopefully the front court players can compete enough to keep the SC forwards honest..........this is where I'm hoping Brady's ability to shoot from midrange will come into play.........
And that starts with an inside presence to force double teams and open up outside shots.... It also means having a Stef Dolson type screener who can be Azzi's best friend....

Reaction Score
Whether or not UConn could have pulled out some of the early season games they lost is debatable, and quite frankly ancient history. Once Paige was back in the lineup the Huskies hammered everyone they faced, including Nova in the BE championship game. Then the Huskies navigated the toughest path to the national championship of any team I can remember. UConn lost to a great SC team. As great as Stewie & company were they never faced any team quite like this year’s SC team.
The ND team in 14-15 was awesome. Anyhow, The Stewie teams - 2 years were undefeated. They were far superior to this SC team. SC allowed much much lesser teams to beat them. Not just once. The UCONN teams of 14/15/16 beat this SC team. The Maya title teams with Tina beat them.

Reaction Score
And that starts with an inside presence to force double teams and open up outside shots.... It also means having a Stef Dolson type screener who can be Azzi's best friend....
You've seen Brady......,.she's a screen and a half..........:)

Reaction Score
They aren't double teaming the post. They have little respect for the UCONN post. Against SC imo the need is a to make a threat inside so players like Boston don't jump out as much on the outside. There has to be a threat inside. Otherwise they will keep trying to continually aggressively trying to prevent UCONN guards to get the ball. They will let the freshman Brady launch outside shots to beat them. They don't want Paige or Azzi for example to beat them.
I think Brady will have a fairly effective inside game with her strength and bulk and unlike recent posts she'll bury that shot from the foul line..........after all if you watch her on video, that's been her bread and butter shot for years now....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The ND team in 14-15 was awesome. Anyhow, The Stewie teams - 2 years were undefeated. They were far superior to this SC team. SC allowed much much lesser teams to beat them. Not just once. The UCONN teams of 14/15/16 beat this SC team. The Maya title teams with Tina beat them.
Yes, UConn probably wins. But I will argue that neither the 14-15 ND team, or any other team Stewie & company faced, including the 2012-13 Baylor team with Griner, had the size and athleticism of this year’s SC team.

Reaction Score
I think Brady will have a fairly effective inside game with her strength and bulk and unlike recent posts she'll bury that shot from the foul line..........after all if you watch her on video, that's been her bread and butter shot for years now....
She won't be open at the ft line vs the very good teams and that won't create much space to make an inside pass. .

And she doesn't look quick yet in low post.

I'm rooting for you to nail this though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):)

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn probably wins. But I will argue that neither the 14-15 ND team, or any other team Stewie & company faced, including the 2012-13 Baylor team with Griner, had the size and athleticism of this year’s SC team.
I agree. But that alone doesn't win you games vs other super elite teams.

Reaction Score
The teams that start out with raw clay - many don’t reach the finals or semi-finals. Jim Calhoun once was being criticized for not playing a big post- I think he was a German who was raw but very big - and at the time early on in his UCON coaching tenure he was taking calls on WTIC or talking to Joe D and Joe would ask him questions (I forget which.). The question was why wasn’t he playing him. And JC said I could go and play him, but it would sacrifice games. And he asked, “is that what the fans and the university wants?” To play that physical style needs a ton of work during games. Then what about the perimeter? And do you think top guard recruits are going to be happy they are losing games/. Not getting shots because the intent is to “hope” a less talented big “might become” more successful than going to consistent Final Fours year-over-year?

I read a post on this thread I can’t find it now – but I think someone suggested “Things have to change?” Huh???????????????? Going to FF’s every year and recruiting as UCONN every year as well as they do and not even being a P5 conference,. And yet “things have to change?”

Anyhow, imo nearly all of the teams you are implying that if they start from clay, sure their offense inside is maybe more robust than UCONN. - But it has been proven over time for nearly all teams, a general rule is starting from clay in college probably isn't going to get you to many Final Fours. At least not near as often as Geno has with his style.

So he has to keep winning - and balance how much to work on low post play during games. It's just that his style has been working over the years. As a result, he just needs a better post player than can get easy baskets. He needs Stevens to stay one more year. He needs a Camara to be healthy. He needs a Hurricane not to hit Texas before college starts so Collier would have come. He needs a season in which all of his posts are healthy vs top competition at once vs elite coemption unlike this year in which he would have a full season to work with his team.

If he has some of these things, imo “the mindset” would be much better for na already super successful tremendous program.
Injuries no doubt sabotaged this season. I also think they helped.

When Geno had to coach the unknown he found out something's about his team. When he had no other place to turn to, he had to trust what was left in the cupboard.
Geno had to mold a different brand within the Brand.

We had a lot of streaks snapped this season. If we don't get innovative and stop living off what we've accomplished not only will we be chasing SC, we'll be chasing the field as WBB is growing.

Thankful for so many big programs having roster issues coaching, changes etc... It allows us time to regroup/redefine.

Just so I'm clear. I never want our offense to look like South Carolina, bogged down with a post dominance. I would more prefer a NC. State, type of usage with our post.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting article. It appears that Geno is weighing whether or not to play the hand he has next season as far as frontcourt players are concerned or to dip into the transfer portal for another Big.

Much of UConn’s ability to make it back to the FF next year, and perhaps overcome the enormous challenge posed by SC & Boston, comes down to the development of Amari DeBerry, a 6’5” post. Amari needs to improve her conditioning and agressiveness but she definitely has the skill set to become a dominant post player.

I am heartened to know that Amari plans to stay on campus over the summer to work with Andrea Hudy, as well as the coaches. She is most certainly the X-factor going into next season.
Somewhere else, Geno said that Isuneh Brady will play a lot next year......take from that what you will but she does have the body to match up with those big girls on other teams....

I do think the two incoming will be significant factors in making the front court stronger to match up with SC and Stanford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Injuries no doubt sabotaged this season. I also think they helped.

When Geno had to coach the unknown he found out something's about his team. When he had no other place to turn to, he had to trust what was left in the cupboard.
Geno had to mold a different brand within the Brand.

We had a lot of streaks snapped this season. If we don't get innovative and stop living off what we've accomplished not only will we be chasing SC, we'll be chasing the field as WBB is growing.

Thankful for so many big programs having roster issues coaching, changes etc... It allows us time to regroup/redefine.

Just so I'm clear. I never want our offense to look like South Carolina, bogged down with a post dominance. I would more prefer a NC. State, type of usage with our post.
I don't think the injuries helped at all. I think the injuries crumbled (not destroyed) any sense of cohesion. Gimme a full healthy season of PB any day of the week. Gimme a healthy sick-free Azzi Fudd any day of the week. Gimme a clear-headed Ducharme any day of the week. Gimme a healthy Dorka at season’s end any day of the week. Gimme a an injury-free Liv in the finals any day of the week.

Instead of being "better" they were just "surviving." Getting a 6 week crash course in cohesion is not superior to a full season working on team chemistry issues. Molding a different brand out of necessity is not necessarily better -0 it can also be out of desperation which this was.

And I agree with you about "redefine." If UCONN can get that next Azura Stevens and she stays then UCONN's offense can be redefined to a more positive extent. If we get that next commit from that great big post like Collier and a Hurricane doesn’t hit prior to school starting then the offense can be redefined. If they get that type of player- then I agree the offense can be redefined instead of being so much perimeter. But until they get that player then you let your guards take you as far you can go. And you can only do that by heavily featuring them and building that type of style cohesion within the season.

I was sickened during the title game to hear Lobo say how well SC was denying the ball to Paige (yet they had chances to get it to her.). I was a bit frustrated that Paige had chances to shoot early and was content not to. A healthy 5’11 – 6 foot Paige with a team that would have played for a full season would never let something like denial to the level in which a much smaller guard was defending her – would have the type of impact I was hearing/watching.

Reaction Score
Oh I do miss those days! What a game that was.
The tempo, spacing, reads, and movement in this offense just don't get much better. It should be studied. I believe UCONN was a 10 point underdog in this game. Execution took away SC's advantages. When someone asks what it means to play fast, but don't rush....show them this.

Reaction Score
She won't be open at the ft line vs the very good teams and that won't create much space to make an inside pass. .

And she doesn't look quick yet in low post.

I'm rooting for you to nail this though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):)
I'm not going to convince you but hopefully she will!!

Reaction Score
I don't think the injuries helped at all. I think the injuries crumbled (not destroyed) any sense of cohesion. Gimme a full healthy season of PB any day of the week. Gimme a healthy sick-free Azzi Fudd any day of the week. Gimme a clear-headed Ducharme any day of the week. Gimme a healthy Dorka at season’s end any day of the week. Gimme a an injury-free Liv in the finals any day of the week.

Instead of being "better" they were just "surviving." Getting a 6 week crash course in cohesion is not superior to a full season working on team chemistry issues. Molding a different brand out of necessity is not necessarily better -0 it can also be out of desperation which this was.

And I agree with you about "redefine." If UCONN can get that next Azura Stevens and she stays then UCONN's offense can be redefined to a more positive extent. If we get that next commit from that great big post like Collier and a Hurricane doesn’t hit prior to school starting then the offense can be redefined. If they get that type of player- then I agree the offense can be redefined instead of being so much perimeter. But until they get that player then you let your guards take you as far you can go. And you can only do that by heavily featuring them and building that type of style cohesion within the season.

I was sickened during the title game to hear Lobo say how well SC was denying the ball to Paige (yet they had chances to get it to her.). I was a bit frustrated that Paige had chances to shoot early and was content not to. A healthy 5’11 – 6 foot Paige with a team that would have played for a full season would never let something like denial to the level in which a much smaller guard was defending her – would have the type of impact I was hearing/watching.
I have had some time to reflect on the season, and in hindsight, it is truly remarkable we even made it to the championship game. I really undervalued the importance of building team chemistry because I was blinded by two things. First, we had bench players emerge into bigger roles which was fun to watch. And second, it was a constant waiting game of “when we get healthy.” We really only got to enjoy the full roster for a few week stretch to close the season. We got healthy, but needed more time.

The fact that we had a really tough tournament draw speaks volumes to the potential this season had. We soundly beat a pretty good Indiana team, pulled out a thriller over NC State, and had a really quality win against Stanford. South Carolina was just too much physically, which probably was always going to be the case.

Also, when I look back, Paige pre injury was playing insane basketball. She probably would have been NPOY caliber again had her numbers continued. She gutted out some clutch tournament performances, but she wasn’t playing 100% up to her potential post injury. To be expected, was a miracle she even returned.

Looking back, we were really only one game short of the ultimate goal, which is a heck of an achievement given how little time this team was healthy. We have a good core coming back, and I think we’ll find ourselves with a similar opportunity next spring.

Reaction Score

Which Collier are you referring to?

So you think the injuries were bad Which we both agree with. But let me
ask you this. Pre-injuries do we find Nika and CD? Does Dorka find her groove without starting a few games? Does Azzi become a go to? Do we play all three bigs on the court as much as we did during that part of the season?

UCONN has had the Bigs just not used like others across the country. They didn't need to be featured they just needed a cultivated culture that sees them as an equitable component.

Reaction Score
I have had some time to reflect on the season, and in hindsight, it is truly remarkable we even made it to the championship game. I really undervalued the importance of building team chemistry because I was blinded by two things. First, we had bench players emerge into bigger roles which was fun to watch. And second, it was a constant waiting game of “when we get healthy.” We really only got to enjoy the full roster for a few week stretch to close the season. We got healthy, but needed more time.

The fact that we had a really tough tournament draw speaks volumes to the potential this season had. We soundly beat a pretty good Indiana team, pulled out a thriller over NC State, and had a really quality win against Stanford. South Carolina was just too much physically, which probably was always going to be the case.

Also, when I look back, Paige pre injury was playing insane basketball. She probably would have been NPOY caliber again had her numbers continued. She gutted out some clutch tournament performances, but she wasn’t playing 100% up to her potential post injury. To be expected, was a miracle she even returned.

Looking back, we were really only one game short of the ultimate goal, which is a heck of an achievement given how little time this team was healthy. We have a good core coming back, and I think we’ll find ourselves with a similar opportunity next spring.
Everything you said is the reason why I hope UCONN doesn't panic. I think Geno and a healthy squad were capable of beating SC this year. Same challenge as beating Beating Baylor in the final 8 year ago.

Somehow we have to find a way to protect Paige. She has had some injuries on her young body in both seasons.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I view Boston as an immutable defensive presence so it's the other four South Carolina players on the court that have to be challenged.........call me crazy but I believe if UConn is healthy, has the proper game plan and plays up to their abilities, they can defeat South Carolina......
With these if, if and ifs statements ..... you are not keeping it real. The two teams played twice this season and SC was dominant both times. The UCONN game plan was created by a HoF coach so I'm not sure what would have made the game plan "improper" despite the BY musings and Monday morning second guessing. By keeping it real one has to acknowledge that there is a talent gap between the team with UCONN operating at a deficit. The acquisition of more talent will not only close the gap but it will provide that HoF coach with additional tools to deploy = AKA better game plans. Healthier players certainly equals more talent and will partially close the gap. Brace yourself for a sobering thought : As things stand right now the Talent Gap between UCONN and South Carolina has increased in SC's favor since the championship game ended simply because UCONN lost two starters and it 6th man vs 1 starter for SC. In a rematch SC would have to play poorly in some aspect of the game for UCONN to win. While this is entirely possible it is based on hope-which is never a good plan. One other item regarding the talent gap that many UCONN fans continue to overlook is the improvement of Boston. I was "hoping" this did not happen but I got tired of my eyes lying to me because it has happen. While UCONN fans have spent the last three seasons "hoping" the post players actually improved, Boston has actually done it. An improved also allowed SC to defeat Stanford and NCst this season. She is going into her senior season and defending a championship. Boston is going to be a problem and could get better. A solid plan would be to hit the portal and acquire some more talent. I'm positive this is UCONN's plan.

Reaction Score
Ag
Everything you said is the reason why I hope UCONN doesn't panic. I think Geno and a healthy squad were capable of beating SC this year. Same challenge as beating Beating Baylor in the final 8 year ago.

Somehow we have to find a way to protect Paige. She has had some injuries on her young body in both seasons.
Agreed, it’s not time to panic. I think the fact that SC won and Boston returns has people feeling like our window with Paige is closing. Plus transfer portal buzz about players joining the super team of SC which hasn’t even happened. It’s almost turned this forum into exclusively threads about SC.

But SC loses Henderson, who really was the most impressive player in the championship. They are bringing back an injured player and transfer, but let Stanford be a reminder of what losing your pg can look like. You can still be a really good team but that position turning over has the ability to alter a lot of action on both ends of the floor.

I think last season our three best players were a sophomore and two freshman. Get them healthy, and the room for improvement is there. We also bring in two bigger freshman, who are pretty highly ranked. If this years crop of freshman proved anything, it’s that you can earn meaningful roles in your first year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom