Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great to hear that DeBerry and Geno are mutually committed to her success. That being said, Amari is a thin, 3-point shooter who has not proven her ability to rebound or guard bigs. While I expect her to play a major role next year, she is not a defender or rebounder I would count on tilting the scale versus Boston.
Amari is not thin. ONO was thin. Cameron Brink (Stanford) is thin. Tamari Key (Tennessee) is thin. I agree with Oldude that Andrea Hudy will help her improve her conditioning as well as her strength over the spring and summer. Things can change between now and the second half of the season (January-February) when UConn will play SC. She has plenty of time to add some muscle. Our trainers are adept at putting weight on a player as well as taking it off.

I doubt if anyone will tilt the scales on Boston. Unless a player comes into D1 WCBB next year that we don't know about, I don't see anyone in D1 NOW that can stop or slow her down. She gets whatever she wants on BOTH ends of the court. She had a streak of 28 consecutive double doubles before it was broken during the tournament. She did it against ALL comers. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Charlie, If I could, I'd be RICH!!! :D and I would share my wealth with my BY brethren. I think I might start a thread this summer asking "What would you do if you were a billionaire?" What are 3 things that you would do with your wealth? Would you be "Scrooge McDuck, Bill Gates or somewhere in between? :rolleyes: I think I'll get some very interesting responses.
I'd give half away and buy UConn season tickets and a chauffeured limo to drive me back and forth from NJ....

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'd give half away and buy UConn season tickets and a chauffeured limo to drive me back and forth from NJ....
Hopefully your limo would be full of UConn fans in your area that would love to join you and watch a game.
That would be a fun road trip.

Reaction Score
Because....Fletcher has already played 4 years of high level basketball in a P5 conference. The reference regarding quickness was in specifically relating to the ability to trap. Trapping requires quickness and foot speed which UCONN lacks more than SC.
You will not find anything in my prior post relating to UCONN or Stanford becoming a "guard" oriented team. You clearly have me confused with someone else. My position is that UCONN needs to improve defensively at the guard and forward and post position if it is to close the significant gap that exist between SC and UCONN.
You can continue to pound your chest if you must but isn't that what you have done for the past 4 years?
of course one big wild card is Griffin's health situation.............for me she was really needed last season and might have turned the tide in a couple of those losses with her hustle and defensive pressure............if she is healthy she adds a dimension that UConn sorely lacks......

Reaction Score
I am a UCONN fan.
I am pulling hard for Amari.
All I’m saying is SHOW ME.
Does that make me wrong??
Paige—Baller as a freshman.
Azzi—Baller as a freshman.
Ducharme—Baller as a freshman.
DeBerry- Baller as a sophomore?
I’ll take it.
Put in the work.
Next year at this time- her career is half over. Just sayin’.
But the first three showed the “baller” gene early, they didn’t learn it. I firmly believe that the “good nasty” trait isn’t something players learn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree with you. There also needs to be some fair context.

UCONN got wiped out in there earlier game this year with SC with no Griffin (before season started you would have expected a core rebounder on UCONN's team would have been available to play) and an unhealthy Dorka. I mean-- there was "a reason" why they got Dorka. It was to combat getting wiped out. If she is hurt or unable to play it puts the team at a disadvantage.

Then it title game excluding Griffin, there was no Dorka and a hurt Liv. And to a lesser extent a hurt Evina but much lesser extent.

One just can't gloss over these things as if they didn't matter then just spout out stats without any context.

If you think Dorka would've made up for a 25-rebound differential I have real estate to sell you. She was not unhealthy in the first meeting either. She simply had not figured out how to play in the system yet.

The context is UConn had rebounding issues all year and were skunked by SC twice. Now they lose their leading rebounder while SC brings back everyone but their PG.

Reaction Score
That is not what I meant nor is it close. What I meant is that Blackwell & Edwards are better "individual" front court ( SF,PF, C) players than any player currently on the UCONN roster. Do you disagree? If so which UCONN player do you think would keep Blackwell or Edwards from starting should they decide to suit up for UCONN?
Idk if it's just me but there are not too many sfs I would start in the country over Caroline. Admittedly I didn't see a lot of Blackwell but I did see Edward's. Is Blackwell really that talented? Also, I will say that Dorka before heading to UConn probably was considered better than Edwards. It's close for sure though.

Reaction Score
ONO just finished 4 years at a higher level school. Do you want her back for another year? I don't. She was the reason we lost more than any other. And she had better stats than Fletcher.

My Stanford comment was an attempt at humor in response to all the talk about UConn needing to change the way they play because Scar beat them. Sorry you didn't see that.
GT and SC played in the sweet 16 last year and that was the first time and the last time I saw Fletcher play. She scored 16 points(13 in the second half) and had 7 rebounds from the point guard spot. She is not as fast as Henderson but bigger and stronger and outplayed her in that game. She did not play this year because of an injury. You may or may not believe this but SC can pick and chose who they want out the portal. The fact that Dawn offered her the scholarship, which SC is limited, is all I need to know about this young lady being a good player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Idk if it's just me but there are not too many sfs I would start in the country over Caroline. Admittedly I didn't see a lot of Blackwell but I did see Edward's. Is Blackwell really that talented? Also, I will say that Dorka before heading to UConn probably was considered better than Edwards. It's close for sure though.
I have seen them both many times. I would take Edwards because she is the better shooter. She pretty much single handily won the SEC tournament title over SC.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This whole idea that Geno needs to abandon his style and join the Pat Summitt Brigade and learn to win with brute strength and a hundred offensive rebounds is just a pile of something smelly. The only guard that played well for SCar is gone and they are forced to use a transfer or a zero-experience freshman at pg. I didn't see Fletcher on any lists of AA's . And while plenty on this board had serious doubts about NPOY Bueckers coming back from a relatively minor knee issue, they have no issues with Johnson (great promise) as vying for the starting pg spot. I guess an ACL is much less serious than a bone bruise. Never mind that Johnson has no experience as a college pg. Fudd was a question mark though, right? Some of those same people needed Bueckers to "show them something" before rating her. Frankly I think some of the posters here are Creme surrogates.
UConn loses the championship game and now Geno is expected to dismantle his entire philosophy and become a disciple of the Summitt/Staley theory of basketball? Summitt won 3 in a row in the 90's and Geno didn't change, but SCar wins one and you all sound like callers into sports talk radio. It's always the same, lose a big game and the fans want a new team and a new approach. Next it will be that Geno/Daley team is an anachronism and new blood is needed.

What ever happened to practicing and getting better? SCar lost to Stanford last year but I didn't see Dawn abandon her style. Has Tara announced that Stanford is becoming a guard-oriented team?

When UConn plays bulldozer basketball I will become a very casual fan.
200.gif

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This whole idea that Geno needs to abandon his style and join the Pat Summitt Brigade and learn to win with brute strength and a hundred offensive rebounds is just a pile of something smelly. The only guard that played well for SCar is gone and they are forced to use a transfer or a zero-experience freshman at pg. I didn't see Fletcher on any lists of AA's . And while plenty on this board had serious doubts about NPOY Bueckers coming back from a relatively minor knee issue, they have no issues with Johnson (great promise) as vying for the starting pg spot. I guess an ACL is much less serious than a bone bruise. Never mind that Johnson has no experience as a college pg. Fudd was a question mark though, right? Some of those same people needed Bueckers to "show them something" before rating her. Frankly I think some of the posters here are Creme surrogates.
UConn loses the championship game and now Geno is expected to dismantle his entire philosophy and become a disciple of the Summitt/Staley theory of basketball? Summitt won 3 in a row in the 90's and Geno didn't change, but SCar wins one and you all sound like callers into sports talk radio. It's always the same, lose a big game and the fans want a new team and a new approach. Next it will be that Geno/Daley team is an anachronism and new blood is needed.

What ever happened to practicing and getting better? SCar lost to Stanford last year but I didn't see Dawn abandon her style. Has Tara announced that Stanford is becoming a guard-oriented team?

I absolutely agree with everything you say except that Paige came back from a “relatively minor knee injury.” A tibial plateau fracture is a serious injury that has ended the playing careers of several NBA players.

Reaction Score

I think the more flexible a team is...the better that team is. Basketball is about being able to match up to an opponent. It's crystal clear that UCONN has struggled with physical teams...on both ends of the floor. Being able to put a more physical team on the floor doesn't equate to a change in style. Some players flat out don't want to deal with a lot of contact. And if you don't like contact, you probably aren't going to like defending in the post or rebounding. In the past, when teams were headed to March they prepared for what was essentially two or three styles of play. That landscape is completely different now. It doesn't mean you change your offensive philosophy, but it warrants considering changes to the type of recruits you go after. Part of UCONN dominance has been to force opponents to play the way UCONN wanted. The talent on UCONN is still elite, but IMO there's less confidence and overall toughness. Part of that...is youth. Part of it is time. These players haven't traveled that long road from day one in practice to National Champions. I like the addition of Shade and Arnold...strength and speed. And as many of you know, I think the real missing piece at UCONN...is Shaq in a dress.

Reaction Score
Amari is not thin. ONO was thin. Cameron Brink (Stanford) is thin. Tamari Key (Tennessee) is thin. I agree with Oldude that Andrea Hudy will help her improve her conditioning as well as her strength over the spring and summer. Things can change between now and the second half of the season (January-February) when UConn will play SC. She has plenty of time to add some muscle. Our trainers are adept at putting weight on a player as well as taking it off.

I doubt if anyone will tilt the scales on Boston. Unless a player comes into D1 WCBB next year that we don't know about, I don't see anyone in D1 NOW that can stop or slow her down. She gets whatever she wants on BOTH ends of the court. She had a streak of 28 consecutive double doubles before it was broken during the tournament. She did it against ALL comers. ;)
Tamari Key is not thin.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for the honesty regarding Blackwell. Let me cut to the chase: There is not a single basketball thing that Caroline does better than Blackwell and Blackwell has been doing it for 3 Years now in the SEC. Blackwell AVERAGES 13 RPG playing in the SEC. Blackwell also shoot it better from deep for those that might consider Caroline a "great" dep shooter.

Reaction Score
Any verbal
I think the more flexible a team is...the better that team is. Basketball is about being able to match up to an opponent. It's crystal clear that UCONN has struggled with physical teams...on both ends of the floor. Being able to put a more physical team on the floor doesn't equate to a change in style. Some players flat out don't want to deal with a lot of contact. And if you don't like contact, you probably aren't going to like defending in the post or rebounding. In the past, when teams were headed to March they prepared for what was essentially two or three styles of play. That landscape is completely different now. It doesn't mean you change your offensive philosophy, but it warrants considering changes to the type of recruits you go after. Part of UCONN dominance has been to force opponents to play the way UCONN wanted. The talent on UCONN is still elite, but IMO there's less confidence and overall toughness. Part of that...is youth. Part of it is time. These players haven't traveled that long road from day one in practice to National Champions. I like the addition of Shade and Arnold...strength and speed. And as many of you know, I think the real missing piece at UCONN...is Shaq in a dress.
Put forward any kind of verbal or strategic Jiu Jitsu you’d like, but when you get DESTROYED on the boards 49-24 it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why you lost.
Either get more rebounds, or shoot 70%+
( and that ain’t gonna happen).
I’m not suggesting the total abandonment an offensive strategy, but adjustments are in order.
(unless the BE title is the only one you aspire to).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The idea that UConn doesn’t match up well with “physical” teams, based on the loss to SC in the championship game is somewhat overstated. SC has overwhelming size and athleticism. UConn was both short handed and beaten up in the championship game. The Gamecocks pushed around a lot of really good teams this season.

If you look at UConn’s road to the championship game, it’s strewn with physical teams that the Huskies sent home. UCF, Indiana, NC St & Stanford all play tough, physical defense, and pound the ball inside to their posts on offense. In every one of those games UConn had to battle to come away with the victory.

For UConn the key is not overhauling the entire team. The Huskies need to get a little stronger, which is something Geno recognized when he brought Andrea Hudy back to Storrs. Add 1-2 players capable of mixing it up inside, without sacrificing offensive flow. Ice & Ayanna certainly fit the bill.

UConn also needs to execute a little better on offense, hit a few 3’s early to open up the court and yes, do a better job rebounding. For the UConn players that return next season, the experience they faced this season will no doubt motivate them tremendously. Perhaps, just like SC this year, UConn will earn redemption next year.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing that Amari is “thin” or built like Liv. That’s not quite accurate. She may not be built like Steph, but Amari is a big girl, and once Andrea Hudy gets through with her this summer, she’ll be a much stronger girl as well.
Dude, while I hope Hudy is able to improve the fitness of everyone on the team, the point I was making still stands. The context was could Amari defend and rebound against top bigs. I have positive expectations for DeBerry but in her brief times on the court she did not appear aggressive or a physical rebounder. I remain convinced UConn has the talent to win it all next year but due to the lack of in game experience, view this as a transition year for Amari. She is likely to be in the top 7-8 in terms of playing time but high performance would be a bonus.

Reaction Score
The idea that UConn doesn’t match up well with “physical” teams, based on the loss to SC in the championship game is somewhat overstated. SC has overwhelming size and athleticism. UConn was both short handed and beaten up in the championship game. The Gamecocks pushed around a lot of really good teams this season.

If you look at UConn’s road to the championship game, it’s strewn with physical teams that the Huskies sent home. UCF, Indiana, NC St & Stanford all play tough, physical defense, and pound the ball inside to their posts on offense. In every one of those games UConn had to battle to come away with the victory.

For UConn the key is not overhauling the entire team. The Huskies need to get a little stronger, which is something Geno recognized when he brought Andrea Hudy back to Storrs. Add 1-2 players capable of mixing it up inside, without sacrificing offensive flow. Ice & Ayanna certainly fit the bill.

UConn also needs to execute a little better on offense, hit a few 3’s early to open up the court and yes, do a better job rebounding. For the UConn players that return next season, the experience they faced this season will no doubt motivate them tremendously. Perhaps, just like SC this year, UConn will earn redemption next year.
I'm not just looking at SC though. GT, Louisville, UCF, Depaul. Now, yes, they were banged up throughout the season, but IMO they should have been able to weather some of these storms. Villanova? And, for sure, it's not all physicality. Am I the only one who thought there were times they looked like a deer in the headlights? I expect less of that next season and more assuredness and less tightening up. One of my favorite games ever is this one.

Stewie...look at her face at tipoff
KML...BADASS...you can't stop me even if you're in my face
MOJEFF...too quick...dribbling and dishing
TUCK...not big, but confident and never hesitates around the rim.
Nurse...all out...all the time.

Not a very big team, except Stewie. Offense...smooth as it ever was, but the players just were tough and weren't bothered by physicality. They just backdoored teams that overplayed them.

Reaction Score

It's now one week after the NCG. I feel a little safer here now. Yes, a big post would help, but there is one more thing

UConn must be prepared to stop SC's big runs next year. In 3 of the last 4 games, SC has had a quarter where they just blow UConn out. Those were all SC wins. 2020 huuge blowout first quarter. Loss. 2021 no blowout quarter, UConn win. 2021 Fall - Blowout 4th quarter. Loss . NCG huge 1st quarter.

When SC gets on a roll, Geno needs to slow us down. Timeouts, Lineup changes. Slow down the offense and the game till SC's hand cools off. Geno is legendary. He knows how to do it but must realize that SC is a hot/cold team and special plans are needed to slow their rolls. Don't run with us when we are hot. Resume your normal game plan when SC cools off.

Reaction Score
South Carolina’s athleticism wore down all the UCONN players esp. with Dorka injured. Amazing how the level of athleticism and physicality has increased in WBB.
South Carolina had some thoroughbreds out there. Victaria Saxton and Brea Beal. Oh my Word!! They understood their assignment this season.

Reaction Score
“Just the facts Ma’am, just the facts.”—DRAGNET
Fact is Dawn has made the adjustments needed to win as the game is NOW, Geno has not.
Last year-Paige’s 3 point “high bounce” game-UCONN ekes out a win.
SC clobbers UCONN 52-39 on the boards in the loss.
This year, first meeting- SC hammers UCONN on boards 42-25.
Wins big.
This year in finals- again SC dominates the boards 49-24.
Wins big.
Write it off to injuries, inexperience, or whatever.
UCONN may be able to breeze through the Big East with little or no resistance, but until they can improve this metric vs SC, the song will remain the same.
Coach might have expected more from Olivia and Aayliah that they delivered.
This I do not know.
I do not believe that Dorka’s availability in the finals would have changed the final outcome, maybe the final score, but not the outcome.
I can appreciate Geno moving to address this deficiency with recent recruiting, but it may take several seasons to become evident on the court.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Tamari Key is not thin.
1649688662422.png

She's no bigger than ONO. But...........one's interpretation of "thin" is relative. To me, she's thin. Your observation of her may render a interpretation. Thin frame, thin arms, thin legs. Pardon me, but I'll stand by my observations and interpretation. Nothing personal against Ms. Key. Some of the people I admire most are of thin/slender stature.

Reaction Score
that's the way it should work but against South Carolina I'm speculating that if Brady hits a couple of those jump shots it would force Boston or Saxton away from the basket, hopefully allowing Patterson, Edwards etc a bit more space to operate while also taking the focus away from the three-point shooters........simply put, the more players UConn has that are a threat to score the less the defense can cheat or double team
They aren't double teaming the post. They have little respect for the UCONN post. Against SC imo the need is a to make a threat inside so players like Boston don't jump out as much on the outside. There has to be a threat inside. Otherwise they will keep trying to continually aggressively trying to prevent UCONN guards to get the ball. They will let the freshman Brady launch outside shots to beat them. They don't want Paige or Azzi for example to beat them.

Reaction Score
If you think Dorka would've made up for a 25-rebound differential I have real estate to sell you. She was not unhealthy in the first meeting either. She simply had not figured out how to play in the system yet.

The context is UConn had rebounding issues all year and were skunked by SC twice. Now they lose their leading rebounder while SC brings back everyone but their PG.
Again you are grossly misusing the data to present a false narrative. The 25 board game was without Dorka and a hurt Liv. So it wasn't just Dorka as you are trying to represent.

And you can watch the 1st game again; its available on youtube. What was the bandage on Dorka's hand there for is she wasn't hurt?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom