Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Auriemma eyes dominant frontcourt in UConn’s quest for 12th title

Reaction Score
This is an interesting article. It appears that Geno is weighing whether or not to play the hand he has next season as far as frontcourt players are concerned or to dip into the transfer portal for another Big.

Much of UConn’s ability to make it back to the FF next year, and perhaps overcome the enormous challenge posed by SC & Boston, comes down to the development of Amari DeBerry, a 6’5” post. Amari needs to improve her conditioning and agressiveness but she definitely has the skill set to become a dominant post player.

I am heartened to know that Amari plans to stay on campus over the summer to work with Andrea Hudy, as well as the coaches. She is most certainly the X-factor going into next season.
When are you going to write something I don't like.
I personally would double dip into the "Portal" for 2 6'3' to 6' 7 players muscular builds. I.e. Immoveable object". We have seen with one (often the case) or two Center/Posts in foul trouble. Then Uconn has to go into --stand back and watch as they score mode--or something along that line. I don't have stats or figures to prove this , it is just my impression: I believe the hands off in defense, lack of more players with abilities, cost Uconn more games than we know.
Personally, I'm a guard, I enjoy watching great guards and mobile forwards. But going back to my college days, didn't play, the importing of big strong, playground learned, guys from NY made a terrific difference to TCC's game. No way this hick kid from CT could compete. Big, talented men (my age but they were men) changed the game. Now the same is happening to the Women's game.

Reaction Score
With these if, if and ifs statements ..... you are not keeping it real. The two teams played twice this season and SC was dominant both times. The UCONN game plan was created by a HoF coach so I'm not sure what would have made the game plan "improper" despite the BY musings and Monday morning second guessing. By keeping it real one has to acknowledge that there is a talent gap between the team with UCONN operating at a deficit. The acquisition of more talent will not only close the gap but it will provide that HoF coach with additional tools to deploy = AKA better game plans. Healthier players certainly equals more talent and will partially close the gap. Brace yourself for a sobering thought : As things stand right now the Talent Gap between UCONN and South Carolina has increased in SC's favor since the championship game ended simply because UCONN lost two starters and it 6th man vs 1 starter for SC. In a rematch SC would have to play poorly in some aspect of the game for UCONN to win. While this is entirely possible it is based on hope-which is never a good plan. One other item regarding the talent gap that many UCONN fans continue to overlook is the improvement of Boston. I was "hoping" this did not happen but I got tired of my eyes lying to me because it has happen. While UCONN fans have spent the last three seasons "hoping" the post players actually improved, Boston has actually done it. An improved also allowed SC to defeat Stanford and NCst this season. She is going into her senior season and defending a championship. Boston is going to be a problem and could get better. A solid plan would be to hit the portal and acquire some more talent. I'm positive this is UCONN's plan.
UConn is way too talented for me to believe that they aren't capable of beating South Carolina..............if you don't believe me ask TonyC........;)...........I don't remember guaranteeing a victory or even predicting a victory, I simply said UConn could win...............there is a major talent gap at one position..............as Missouri and Kentucky proved, South Carolina can be beaten despite Boston's best efforts..............would you trade UConn's starting backcourt for South Carolina's?............are you trading Edwards for Saxton or Amihere?........... my assumption is that a Hall of Fame coach can devise additional ways to free up PB, and CD and more importantly those players will be operating at 100% when next they play............up front, one assumes thar Juhaz is able to play and she is joined by Edwards, Deberry and two new athletes that I would hope know how to box out and have the aggression to go after offensive rebounds............forgetting all my "fatuous" assumptions, what would you have a fan do? Should we plead with UConn to cancel the series because they simply aren't in South Carolina's league? Should we not even bother to attend or watch the game on TV because the end is a fait accompli? Finally, show me a team that didn't finish in the top fifty in NCAA scoring and I'll show you a team that can be taken down on a good shooting night..........;):)

Reaction Score
With these if, if and ifs statements ..... you are not keeping it real. The two teams played twice this season and SC was dominant both times. The UCONN game plan was created by a HoF coach so I'm not sure what would have made the game plan "improper" despite the BY musings and Monday morning second guessing. By keeping it real one has to acknowledge that there is a talent gap between the team with UCONN operating at a deficit. The acquisition of more talent will not only close the gap but it will provide that HoF coach with additional tools to deploy = AKA better game plans. Healthier players certainly equals more talent and will partially close the gap. Brace yourself for a sobering thought : As things stand right now the Talent Gap between UCONN and South Carolina has increased in SC's favor since the championship game ended simply because UCONN lost two starters and it 6th man vs 1 starter for SC. In a rematch SC would have to play poorly in some aspect of the game for UCONN to win. While this is entirely possible it is based on hope-which is never a good plan. One other item regarding the talent gap that many UCONN fans continue to overlook is the improvement of Boston. I was "hoping" this did not happen but I got tired of my eyes lying to me because it has happen. While UCONN fans have spent the last three seasons "hoping" the post players actually improved, Boston has actually done it. An improved also allowed SC to defeat Stanford and NCst this season. She is going into her senior season and defending a championship. Boston is going to be a problem and could get better. A solid plan would be to hit the portal and acquire some more talent. I'm positive this is UCONN's plan.
You said it all. exactly what needed to be said. To me, it was obvious but not only because of Boston being so mobile, so improved, but her team did too. Dawn and Boston--congratulations to them--made everyone around Boston improve or look good.
I am proud of ONO and she made Uconn a winner in many games. She is NOT comparable to Boston, as yet. Dawn had 15 looked like 20 players on that squad. Most with high degrees of talent.
I do, however, believe if anyone is to beat the Boston team--could be Geno. Griner, taller but thinner than Boston, was beaten and a Uconn walk on sub held her in check. If they are to be beaten Geno will do it. Read carefully no insults here for anyone.

Reaction Score
“Just the facts Ma’am, just the facts.”—DRAGNET
Fact is Dawn has made the adjustments needed to win as the game is NOW, Geno has not.
Last year-Paige’s 3 point “high bounce” game-UCONN ekes out a win.
SC clobbers UCONN 52-39 on the boards in the loss.
This year, first meeting- SC hammers UCONN on boards 42-25.
Wins big.
This year in finals- again SC dominates the boards 49-24.
Wins big.
Write it off to injuries, inexperience, or whatever.
UCONN may be able to breeze through the Big East with little or no resistance, but until they can improve this metric vs SC, the song will remain the same.
Coach might have expected more from Olivia and Aayliah that they delivered.
This I do not know.
I do not believe that Dorka’s availability in the finals would have changed the final outcome, maybe the final score, but not the outcome.
I can appreciate Geno moving to address this deficiency with recent recruiting, but it may take several seasons to become evident on the court.
Dawn didn't make adjustments as much as she out recruited every other coach in gathering a panoply of big and aggressive front court talent.........her best skill is how she manages their expectations regarding playing time...........you'd have thought half her front court players would be in the portal by now......

Reaction Score
I personally would double dip into the "Portal" for 2 6'3' to 6' 7 players muscular builds. I.e. Immoveable object". We have seen with one (often the case) or two Center/Posts in foul trouble. Then Uconn has to go into --stand back and watch as they score mode--or something along that line. I don't have stats or figures to prove this , it is just my impression: I believe the hands off in defense, lack of more players with abilities, cost Uconn more games than we know.
Personally, I'm a guard, I enjoy watching great guards and mobile forwards. But going back to my college days, didn't play, the importing of big strong, playground learned, guys from NY made a terrific difference to TCC's game. No way this hick kid from CT could compete. Big, talented men (my age but they were men) changed the game. Now the same is happening to the Women's game.
who do you have in mind?

Reaction Score
UConn is way too talented for me to believe that they aren't capable of beating South Carolina..............if you don't believe me ask TonyC........;)...........I don't remember guaranteeing a victory or even predicting a victory, I simply said UConn could win...............there is a major talent gap at one position..............as Missouri and Kentucky proved, South Carolina can be beaten despite Boston's best efforts..............would you trade UConn's starting backcourt for South Carolina's?............are you trading Edwards for Saxton or Amihere?........... my assumption is that a Hall of Fame coach can devise additional ways to free up PB, Azzi Fudd and CD and more importantly those players will be operating at 100% when next they play............up front, one assumes thar Juhaz is able to play and she is joined by Edwards, Deberry and two new athletes that I would hope know how to box out and have the aggression to go after offensive rebounds............forgetting all my "fatuous" assumptions, what would you have a fan do? Should we plead with UConn to cancel the series because they simply aren't in South Carolina's league? Should we not even bother to attend or watch the game on TV because the end is a fait accompli? Finally, show me a team that didn't finish in the top fifty in NCAA scoring and I'll show you a team that can be taken down on a good shooting night..........;):)
Charlie--I usually agree with you. I don't disagree here. Any team can and will be beaten. My dialog was about this years Uconn team and viewing the Boston led Gamecocks. No denying it, if you speak truthfully, This Boston had loads of talent, they were the team you had to try to beat. Dawn, had a superb game plan, she too notes on a number of losses or close games Uconn playelege gamesd. The Arizona game was a clue. And she used that info intelligently. Uconn was freshmen Soph loaded. Usually a team to NOT make the Sweet 16--but this one went to the BIG DANCE. Amazing.
Did they belong, not if you asked me in March, but a team there belongs there.
The greatest of Women's coaches of all times with 11 NC's 14 FF's--is only numbers and has no bearing on the next game.
Without the right people in the right positions with lots of Guts, like Caroline, Freshmen coming in may be great but most often are lost in the noise of College games.
These new kids will have to over succeed in talent mental toughness understanding the game for Geno to beat Boston et al.

Reaction Score
who do you have in mind?
In the portal, not a clue. I leave that to you and Geno to search for the right players. Six foot 5 or taller, 175 to 220 all muscle, mobile, intelligent, talented shooter near the hoop. The only one that comes to mind is---STOKES..

Reaction Score
One thing that would help a lot would be if we didn't have to beat 2 #1 seeds just to get to the championship game and then have a day's less rest when we got there. Getting a #1 seed is a very important part of winning the NC. No doubt South Carolina had a superior team but things happen and maybe we would have a better chance if we had a #1 seed. Maybe injuries hit SC next year during the NCAA and the situation is very different. We can improve with the portal but I don't think substantially. We need to try something different. Maybe press more. Maybe alternative offensive approaches.

Reaction Score
You describe another Liv. You are not a Big if you will not put your body in the fight with the other team's Big(s). Sure, she's slim but she won't break in trying to hinder a Big. A few years ago it became doctrine that the truly big Big was a thing of the past. That is BS. There are just more Azura Stevens than Stef Dolsons. The Stevens have to be ready to bang with the Big Mommas.
True. Olivia, did well with her imitation. She rebounded well against smaller teams. People her size or bigger dominated her. Bulk seemed to have their way with her. No slam, you are what you are. But, she never lived up to Dolson, Stokes on Defense, Tina, or jess Moore (as close to Liv as I remember). She was demanded to do much much more than her physical size could handle . Her talent of being a great Forward was evident. Like Azura, not much of a post, but a great forward. Thin posts are at a disadvantage it would appear.

Reaction Score
View attachment 75491
She's no bigger than ONO. But...........one's interpretation of "thin" is relative. To me, she's thin. Your observation of her may render a interpretation. Thin frame, thin arms, thin legs. Pardon me, but I'll stand by my observations and interpretation. Nothing personal against Ms. Key. Some of the people I admire most are of thin/slender stature.
Unless my eyes deceive me, she seems to be broader and thicker than Ono. How old is that picture? it looks like a younger picture of her.

Reaction Score
Charlie--I usually agree with you. I don't disagree here. Any team can and will be beaten. My dialog was about this years Uconn team and viewing the Boston led Gamecocks. No denying it, if you speak truthfully, This Boston had loads of talent, they were the team you had to try to beat. Dawn, had a superb game plan, she too notes on a number of losses or close games Uconn playelege gamesd. The Arizona game was a clue. And she used that info intelligently. Uconn was freshmen Soph loaded. Usually a team to NOT make the Sweet 16--but this one went to the BIG DANCE. Amazing.
Did they belong, not if you asked me in March, but a team there belongs there.
The greatest of Women's coaches of all times with 11 NC's 14 FF's--is only numbers and has no bearing on the next game.
Without the right people in the right positions with lots of Guts, like Caroline, Freshmen coming in may be great but most often are lost in the noise of College games.
These new kids will have to over succeed in talent mental toughness understanding the game for Geno to beat Boston et al.
South Carolina won the game fair and square...........I happen to think if UConn was 100% healthy it would have been a closer game but SC most likely would have come out on top..........my hope is that next season UConn is healthy when the two teams play again and that despite the loss of three important players they have the capacity to win........not saying they will win just that if anybody can beat SC, UConn has as good a shot as anybody......

Reaction Score
In the portal, not a clue. I leave that to you and Geno to search for the right players. Six foot 5 or taller, 175 to 220 all muscle, mobile, intelligent, talented shooter near the hoop. The only one that comes to mind is---STOKES..
there's the rub.........she nor anyone remotely like her are in the portal...........:(

Reaction Score
South Carolina won the game fair and square...........I happen to think if UConn was 100% healthy it would have been a closer game but SC most likely would have come out on top..........my hope is that next season UConn is healthy when the two I teams play again and that despite the loss of three important players they have the capacity to win........not saying they will winI just that if anybody can beat SC, UConn has as good a shot as anybody......
I agree, if anyone can beat them, why not Uconn. I let the ill and injuries slip my brain. I'm not so sure if all were in perfect health (hold the thought of Paige for a second) they'd have beaten the Gamecocks. Paige, it is hard to think of her operating at 50 percent, but she was, fully healthy could have opened the scoring of Fudd, Caroline, Evina, Edwards--that's what did in Uconn--one option, one shot, then run to the other basket. With Boston out Uconn made a run.
My point is, against a physical, big, bulky center and talented team, even the greatest coach needs to meet that team on near level ground with near equal talent to win. However, Louisville did it to Griner. Could Geno physically beat up Boston as Walz allowed his team to do to Griner??
No doubt in my mind the Gamecock earned that game fair and square.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The portal is still relatively new and our Huskies have not had any advantage in getting an impact player with the exception, obviously, of Dorka. My memory is not very good, but didn't she express the desire to come to UConn? I
So I am wondering how many players in the portal, especially a big or 2, have the desire to make a commitment to the work required to be a Huskie.
I have not heard of any at this time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does it matter if these two 6’3” - 6’7” players from the portal that you would get can actually play?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The portal is still relatively new and our Huskies have not had any advantage in getting an impact player with the exception, obviously, of Dorka. My memory is not very good, but didn't she express the desire to come to UConn? I
So I am wondering how many players in the portal, especially a big or 2, have the desire to make a commitment to the work required to be a Husky.
I have not heard of any at this time.
Dorka entered the portal with no particular destination in mind. UCONN saw she was in the portal and reached out quickly. Don't think Dorka consider anywhere else once UCONN reached out. I pretty sure there are impact players in the portal that would love to hear from UCONN.

"When Dorka Juhász entered the transfer portal, UConn reached out to her soon after. It didn’t take long for her to decide Storrs was the place for her.
“It was an opportunity that I couldn’t just turn away from,” Juhász told The Athletic.

Reaction Score
I don't think the injuries helped at all. I think the injuries crumbled (not destroyed) any sense of cohesion. Gimme a full healthy season of PB any day of the week. Gimme a healthy sick-free Azzi Fudd any day of the week. Gimme a clear-headed Ducharme any day of the week. Gimme a healthy Dorka at season’s end any day of the week. Gimme a an injury-free Liv in the finals any day of the week.

Instead of being "better" they were just "surviving." Getting a 6 week crash course in cohesion is not superior to a full season working on team chemistry issues. Molding a different brand out of necessity is not necessarily better -0 it can also be out of desperation which this was.

And I agree with you about "redefine." If UCONN can get that next Azura Stevens and she stays then UCONN's offense can be redefined to a more positive extent. If we get that next commit from that great big post like Collier and a Hurricane doesn’t hit prior to school starting then the offense can be redefined. If they get that type of player- then I agree the offense can be redefined instead of being so much perimeter. But until they get that player then you let your guards take you as far you can go. And you can only do that by heavily featuring them and building that type of style cohesion within the season.

I was sickened during the title game to hear Lobo say how well SC was denying the ball to Paige (yet they had chances to get it to her.). I was a bit frustrated that Paige had chances to shoot early and was content not to. A healthy 5’11 – 6 foot Paige with a team that would have played for a full season would never let something like denial to the level in which a much smaller guard was defending her – would have the type of impact I was hearing/watching.
While the injuries helped them grow faster individually, they got healthy with very little time to become truly a team that executes like UConn excellent teams usually do. I couldn't watch because of the chances in making connections on offense were wasted by just a little late here and there.....then forced them to dribble a lot. And yes, SC's defense was a little quicker than Stanford but hey, they were better coordinated against SC last year (almost the same team) because the same group played together from the beginning....then they weren't mentally prepared against Arizona. Not clear they would have won against Stanford but.....

Sure, they will be better motivated and the coaching staff will work to get them closer to where they should be: Dorka becoming stronger; both Dorka and Aaliyah becoming more stable with better footwork; Amari to grow faster to play more freely - she has a number of skills which are quite useful. But what I am hoping for is a quick assimilation of Isuneh and Ayanna so operate smoothly in the offense and defense as well. Both are versatile, both can hit from long range with Isuneh supposedly having better accuracy; Ayanna's athleticism and speed will go well with Aaliyah's strength.

Question is, how fast can they progress? After all, it took Stewie the whole season to do it in time for the tournaments; Tina didn't consistently do it (for the most part) until her sophomore year. It took Stef even longer. Ayanna operating on the wing might get there faster but probably will be slower if at the 4. Because of this, I am doubtful that Geno will look for a post in the transfer portal because he has 5 with already good tools and qualities that need to develop farther by playing. And, he will probably continue with the remaking of Audrey into a wing/guard - he speed and athleticism will be an asset on defense, especially for full court pressure.

The loss of Dorka before the FF showed up more not in the need of another post to help match up with Boston and company but in someone having the highest potential for success operating in the high post. Dorka showed she is a good passer. She also showed that she does not hesitate to shoot from distance when open. While Olivia is a good passer, she was hesitant to shoot from the high post, so her defender often dropped off and clogged the post for the most part. Couple this with Aaliyah just as hesitant..... As strongly motivated SC was to prevail and prepared well on defense with their speedier guards, a few makes from distance by a post player would have made a difference in opening things up.

Much of the work of post players over the Summer is the high-post/low-post coordination that didn't quite work as well against really good teams like Stanford and, particularly SC....thanks to UConn's OOC schedule being decimated by injuries and Covid.

What we can be sure of is that the UConn guards will function much better next year in high profile games - they shall have worked together as a group much more by then. They are not too far away except for how to elevate the performance of Paige and Azzi when playing together.

Reaction Score
While the injuries helped them grow faster individually, they got healthy with very little time to become truly a team that executes like UConn excellent teams usually do. I couldn't watch because of the chances in making connections on offense were wasted by just a little late here and there.....then forced them to dribble a lot. And yes, SC's defense was a little quicker than Stanford but hey, they were better coordinated against SC last year (almost the same team) because the same group played together from the beginning....then they weren't mentally prepared against Arizona. Not clear they would have won against Stanford but.....

Sure, they will be better motivated and the coaching staff will work to get them closer to where they should be: Dorka becoming stronger; both Dorka and Aaliyah becoming more stable with better footwork; Amari to grow faster to play more freely - she has a number of skills which are quite useful. But what I am hoping for is a quick assimilation of Isuneh and Ayanna so operate smoothly in the offense and defense as well. Both are versatile, both can hit from long range with Isuneh supposedly having better accuracy; Ayanna's athleticism and speed will go well with Aaliyah's strength.

Question is, how fast can they progress? After all, it took Stewie the whole season to do it in time for the tournaments; Tina didn't consistently do it (for the most part) until her sophomore year. It took Stef even longer. Ayanna operating on the wing might get there faster but probably will be slower if at the 4. Because of this, I am doubtful that Geno will look for a post in the transfer portal because he has 5 with already good tools and qualities that need to develop farther by playing. And, he will probably continue with the remaking of Audrey into a wing/guard - he speed and athleticism will be an asset on defense, especially for full court pressure.

The loss of Dorka before the FF showed up more not in the need of another post to help match up with Boston and company but in someone having the highest potential for success operating in the high post. Dorka showed she is a good passer. She also showed that she does not hesitate to shoot from distance when open. While Olivia is a good passer, she was hesitant to shoot from the high post, so her defender often dropped off and clogged the post for the most part. Couple this with Aaliyah just as hesitant..... As strongly motivated SC was to prevail and prepared well on defense with their speedier guards, a few makes from distance by a post player would have made a difference in opening things up.

Much of the work of post players over the Summer is the high-post/low-post coordination that didn't quite work as well against really good teams like Stanford and, particularly SC....thanks to UConn's OOC schedule being decimated by injuries and Covid.

What we can be sure of is that the UConn guards will function much better next year in high profile games - they shall have worked together as a group much more by then. They are not too far away except for how to elevate the performance of Paige and Azzi when playing together
Dawn stymied UCONN High post. Geno, if you want to play your post on the perimeter go ahead. We will concede them and take away perimeter players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dawn stymied UCONN High post. Geno, if you want to play your post on the perimeter go ahead. We will concede them and take away perimeter players.
So when UCONN had Morgan Tuck, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier playing the post against SC, were they not on perimeter or high post occasionally? I'm asking because I'm considering becoming an advocate of the Devil.

Reaction Score
So when UCONN had Morgan Tuck, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier playing the post against SC, were they not on perimeter or high post occasionally? I'm asking because I'm considering becoming an advocate of the Devil.
Never mind the other two who were indeed excellent, but as an example: Gabby Williams, a guard playing the high post often decimated the Wilson-led team full of WNBA players, on offense even though she was hesitant to shoot from three. How? With her passing and split-second coordination with her teammates....

[On defense? We know what happened to Ms. Wilson and Ms Coates when defended by that guard.....]

Like you, I haven't decided to become an advocate of the Devil.....but who knows? I have often thought that it is easy for the opposing team to claim credit when players manning a position - in this case, the UConn high post in a low post/high post offensive scheme - stops themselves (intentionally or otherwise).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does it matter if these two 6’3” - 6’7” players from the portal that you would get can actually play?
Depends upon your definition of playing. Blocking shots and rebounding would be enough for me. If they ever score that would be a plus, but I could accept them never scoring. A significant, in my opinion, lack against sized or smaller teams at times, Uconn was out rebounded. Uconn is an exceptional team (and has been foreve) when they rebound well. Stokes could and did score, was an all Stater in (was it) Iowa? But her defense is what set her apart from all others. Give me 2 Stokes and I'll giggle to the NC. I get, there are 6 7's and there are 6 7's. But I may settle for a 6 7 that can catch a rebound and block a shot. I'm easy to satisfy.
It may be just my poor memory but I don't remember a small team of Uconn that went all the way. (the Shea, Asia, Tamika, DT, , Swin team wasn't big in todays standards but they were for the time. Uconn won its first NC with Size. Kara and Lobo working together. if you set the standard don't be surprised when it is used against you.
Obviously, the 6 3 must play the game but be 3.5 ft wide. I can think of one from DePaul that fits that bill.

Reaction Score
I don't but to those who strongly advocate that Geno take a post from the transfer portal, the one candidate who might actually work - if her personality fits - is Angel Reese, who is in the portal.

Reaction Score
I actually want to amend that last statement.............Angel Reese would help UConn's front court against South Carolina, Stanford etc........that said, I find it unlikely she'll end up at UConn.............BTW if she ends up at South Carolina I'm going to call for a Congressional investigation!!:mad:;)
With Saxton returning the last thing Dawn needs is another 4. Reese has great stats but no outside game. But who am I to question success?

Reaction Score
I don't but to those who strongly advocate that Geno take a post from the transfer portal, the one candidate who might actually work - if her personality fits - is Angel Reese, who is in the portal.
The problem with the Portal and BIG's. The transferee comes with baggage . I.e., 2, 3,4 years of learning one method; and face it Geno is different than all others to play for, it is harder to unlearn than learn. Second part of that is: She may have personality issues accepted by all other than geno/Christine.
But thank you for the thought. There may be someone out there for Uconn. I do advocate looking into it at least. Dorka took much of the season to get into the UConn mode and was needed, still is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom