August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 6 | The Boneyard

August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
94-90 final Las Vegas. Hamby led the way w/ 23, 21 for McBride, 18 and 17 for Cambage and J. Young. Plum sat out most of the 4th quarter but had an efficient game w/ 9 points on 3-4 shooting and 4 assists. It doesn't seem like Laimbeer can ever figure out what his rotation is. He wasn't even playing Colson instead of Plum. From following the box score it looks like it was either T. Young or Rodgers. Those 3 guards/wings off the bench were scoreless in a combined 30 minutes.

For Atlanta Breland had 18 and Sykes and Gulich both scored 15.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
94-90 final Las Vegas. Hamby led the way w/ 23, 21 for McBride, 18 and 17 for Cambage and J. Young. Plum sat out most of the 4th quarter but had an efficient game w/ 9 points on 3-4 shooting and 4 assists. It doesn't seem like Laimbeer can ever figure out what his rotation is. He wasn't even playing Colson instead of Plum. From following the box score it looks like it was either T. Young or Rodgers. Those 3 guards/wings off the bench were scoreless in a combined 30 minutes.

For Atlanta Breland had 18 and Sykes and Gulich both scored 15.

Plum hit the final 2 pt shot from 15ft to put the game away (92-88). Got to feel good for her with the season she had. That drew a big smile from Lambeer.

For a while, I thought Cambage had turned a corner and decided to play like a competitor and play through contact and not whine after every play but she is back to her smirky self. Bleech.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
For a while, I thought Cambage had turned a corner and decided to play like a competitor and play through contact and not whine after every play but she is back to her smirky self. Bleech.

I find myself rooting for LV because of Plum. If it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't pay them much attention. I've really been impressed with Hamby this year though. Will be interesting to see what happens when Wilson comes back. Hamby is playing too well to not get significant minutes. Will take a bit of time to readjust to having both Cambage and Wilson, they're running out of regular season games.

Reaction Score
Plum hit the final 2 pt shot from 15ft to put the game away (92-88). Got to feel good for her with the season she had. That drew a big smile from Lambeer.

You would complain too if you were slapped, elbowed, punched, pushed and pulled almost every game with a ref standing right there but refused to blow the whistle... I’m not the biggest Cambage fan but she gets MURDERED just about every game.

Reaction Score
Cambage uses her body to knock others out of position and onto the floor with no calls as well. When you play in the post and are fighting for position then contact is inevitable. The problem with players like Cambage and Griner is that they are SF in a centers body. They do not like contact. When you play the post that is exactly what happens. Now some players take it overboard but it always takes two to tangle. In the game that involved an altercation, Griner dished out far more than she took.

I can not speak for all games, but in this game with the Dream, there was no one hitting Cambage only establishing position. It was Cambage who attempted to use her body to push the defender out of their spot. Players are allowed to defend their position. In fact, on one play Cambage ran over Gulish knocking her to the floor. It was a good no-call, however, because it was borderline and Gulish was off-balance, There will always be more physical play in the post, that's just a reality due to the nature of the game. In a congested area like the paint, it is more difficult to see fouls and the nature of players constantly creating body contact to establish positions make it much more difficult as well.

Of course, you will always have players like Griner and Cambage lawyering the officials to gain an advantage.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I watched a fair amount of this game, as well and a couple of things struck me:

- Liz Cambage, when focused on matters at hand, is a very efficient passer out of the post, whether to cutters or three-point shooters. Luckily for the Aces, both of these positions are ably filled by Kayla McBride. In due time, Jackie Young can work on some give and go's with Cambage, as well. The "inside-out" game was working for them, with Cambage garnering 6 assists and Young 5.
- Dearica Hamby is making some kind of case for Most Improved Player. Or at the very least, a new category: Most Complimentary Player. She does a good job of being where Cambage isn't, both to her and the team's benefit. Really valuable team player.
Like many have said, I don't quite know what happens to this particular chemistry when A'ja Wilson gets back.
- I think Kelsey Plum has become a better player in numerous ways (defense, being a patient teammate), but it's got to be tough when you go from being the leading scorer in college to the fourth option after Wilson, Cambage and McBride. Still, I understand the value in having her: she can still get into a groove and if there's an injury to K-Mac, she can step into that role.
- It will be interesting to see what happens off-season here, particularly up front and with Plum. If things go to plan and rehab, Lindsay Allen should return to back up Young. Does Laimbeer give it another year to mesh Cambage (a late arrival) and Wilson together while keeping Plum at the shooting guard? Or put his Trader Bill hat on? Stay tuned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I find myself rooting for LV because of Plum. If it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't pay them much attention. I've really been impressed with Hamby this year though. Will be interesting to see what happens when Wilson comes back. Hamby is playing too well to not get significant minutes. Will take a bit of time to readjust to having both Cambage and Wilson, they're running out of regular season games.

This is a second cup of coffee thought for the post-season: Swap Plum for Jewell Loyd, in a trade of former #1's who may find a better fit elsewhere.

- Jewell has been having a tough go of it this season, without Bird's steady hand, adjusting to Canada's up-and-down the court style and the nagging ankle injury. Whitcomb's still starting. Now, with Bird, Stewie, et al coming back, Hughes may want to hit "reset" or maybe he wants to consolidate his resources.
Plum will benefit from playing with both Bird and Stewie and is a more athletic version of Whitcomb.

- Loyd, who is really more of a scorer than a shooter, would benefit from being a bit of a jack of all trades within the Aces system. She can find openings due to double teams/cheating on Cambage and Wilson. McBride's relentless three-point shooting and drives to the hoop (love her floaters) would open up one-one-one matchups for Jewell. And Young, with her versatility and athletic ability, would have her back if Loyd attacks the hoop. Lastly, backup PG Lindsay Allen knows Loyd's game to a T, having worked with her at ND.

You could combine your interest in Plum with the Storm...voila ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The Liberty are making a push to drop below Dallas. Looking at numbers, it appears their success is closely linked to Kia Nurse:
Kia in wins: 19.3 ppg, 50% FG, 37% 3pt
Kia in losses: 11.4 ppg, 32.6% FG, 31.8% 3pt

Games where she scores 15+ points, team is 6-3
Games where she scores 14 or less, team is 2-13

Last 6 games she is averaging 6.6 ppg, shooting 25% from the floor and 20% from deep. Team has lost all 6 games. I think playoff teams are pretty much set at this point, but if Smith wants to keep her job the Libs need to play a lot better than they are right now.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
This is a second cup of coffee thought for the post-season: Swap Plum for Jewell Loyd, in a trade of former #1's who may find a better fit elsewhere.

- Jewell has been having a tough go of it this season, without Bird's steady hand, adjusting to Canada's up-and-down the court style and the nagging ankle injury. Whitcomb's still starting. Now, with Bird, Stewie, et al coming back, Hughes may want to hit "reset" or maybe he wants to consolidate his resources.
Plum will benefit from playing with both Bird and Stewie and is a more athletic version of Whitcomb.

- Loyd, who is really more of a scorer than a shooter, would benefit from being a bit of a jack of all trades within the Aces system. She can find openings due to double teams/cheating on Cambage and Wilson. McBride's relentless three-point shooting and drives to the hoop (love her floaters) would open up one-one-one matchups for Jewell. And Young, with her versatility and athletic ability, would have her back if Loyd attacks the hoop. Lastly, backup PG Lindsay Allen knows Loyd's game to a T, having worked with her at ND.

You could combine your interest in Plum with the Storm...voila ;)

Highway robbery for the Aces. Plum is nowhere near the caliber of player Loyd is. I'd love the trade though since I'm not a Storm fan. Plus for you, Vegas effectively becomes Team ND with Allen, McBride, Young and Loyd all playing together.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Highway robbery for the Aces. Plum is nowhere near the caliber of player Loyd is. I'd love the trade though since I'm not a Storm fan. Plus for you, Vegas effectively becomes Team ND with Allen, McBride, Young and Loyd all playing together.

Hmmm....you noticed that ;) ! Maybe Trader Bill could get a faux Dome built out there....:cool:

Jewell can do some very special things, but I've always seen she does best when having the proverbial "steady eddy" around her, such as Sue B. Lindsay Allen and Jackie Young are both pretty calming presences and K-Mac is as close to Cool Hand Luke as you get. Laimbeer is another story :rolleyes: (but his players do seem to respond....)

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I watched a fair amount of this game, as well and a couple of things struck me:

- Liz Cambage, when focused on matters at hand, is a very efficient passer out of the post, whether to cutters or three-point shooters. Luckily for the Aces, both of these positions are ably filled by Kayla McBride. In due time, Jackie Young can work on some give and go's with Cambage, as well. The "inside-out" game was working for them, with Cambage garnering 6 assists and Young 5.
- Dearica Hamby is making some kind of case for Most Improved Player. Or at the very least, a new category: Most Complimentary Player. She does a good job of being where Cambage isn't, both to her and the team's benefit. Really valuable team player.
Like many have said, I don't quite know what happens to this particular chemistry when A'ja Wilson gets back.
- I think Kelsey Plum has become a better player in numerous ways (defense, being a patient teammate), but it's got to be tough when you go from being the leading scorer in college to the fourth option after Wilson, Cambage and McBride. Still, I understand the value in having her: she can still get into a groove and if there's an injury to K-Mac, she can step into that role.
- It will be interesting to see what happens off-season here, particularly up front and with Plum. If things go to plan and rehab, Lindsay Allen should return to back up Young. Does Laimbeer give it another year to mesh Cambage (a late arrival) and Wilson together while keeping Plum at the shooting guard? Or put his Trader Bill hat on? Stay tuned.

Another thought...what happens between Colson/Allen? Colson has been a stellar backup and quite frankly looks more dynamic out there than Allen did. Her style of play is perfect to compliment Young too in my opinion. Vegas doesnt need 3 PGs, plus Plum. Plum has also effectively become a 5th option now that Hamby has found form in her new role. On the plus side, Plum is not a chucker and is a good decision maker, so I think there is still potential for her to fit in, she just needs to knock down open looks. I go back and forth on her bug she was much better a year ago so I wouldnt give up on her yet...unless poor shooting costs them in the playoffs.

Regarding Wilson/Cambage, it is still a work in progress but from games I've seen, I'm not sure the combination makes their team that much better since they both fill a very similar role. I think Cox would be an absolute dream to pair next to either one. If I'm Bill I'd choose A'ja over Liz since Liz isnt the most predictable regarding if she is coming to play. I could see her not coming back next year or potentially demanding a trade to LA again. If Liz is happy there, keep both but if Bill is trying to build a foundation to create another Shock like dynasty, Liz wouldnt be my first pick.

Reaction Score
I just watched yesterday's Lynx/Libs game via League Pass. Close game at halftime. However, I noticed that Tina only took four shots the whole second half according to my count. Also, the Liberty did not do too much to free up Allen more in the second half. She was having her way with the smaller defenders. I guess these are coaching observations and perhaps coaching deficiencies. Smith is on thin ice.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm on to your scheme @Dillon77 , I noticed you trying to consolidate Notre Dame players in Las Vegas. :cool: A change of scenery might do Plum well. Trader Bill's substitution patterns and allotment of minutes seem inconsistent and a bit haphazard. I'm not sure if Plum knows what her role on the team is supposed to be, I sure don't. Sometimes she's the closer at PG at the end of games, other times he sits her most of the 4th quarter or even the entire 2nd half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The previous game between Washington and Seattle was over about as soon as it started. Storm started off better this time, but all Mystics since the end of Q1. Went from down 7 to up 3 at half and now running away w/ it in Q3. Seattle just doesn't have enough fire power to hang w/ Washington.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hmm...Mystics were up 15 and I gave up on the game. Storm cut the lead down to 8 at the end of Q3.

LA and Dallas are in a close game approaching end of Q3. Parker had several really good games after she came back from injury, but she's kinda disappeared lately. Chiney is hardly doing anything. Nneka is playing her best ball of the year and Vadeeva seems to be contributing nicely. I don't know if Brown is injured or if she's just been squeezed out of the rotation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't know if Brown is injured or if she's just been squeezed out of the rotation.
Squeezed. Sparks have the opposite problem of UConn: too many bigs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Squeezed. Sparks have the opposite problem of UConn: too many bigs.

Good problem to have.

Ugh. Mystics up 22 now. Glad I didn't get suckered into turning the game back on.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Somebody run up the white flag. Mystics have outscored Seattle 24-4 in Q4. :eek:

edit--ended up being a 29-8 whuppin' in the 4th quarter, Mystics won by almost 30.

And Dallas is outscoring LA 20-6 in Q4. The game is FOUR quarters, not three. Yikes.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Los Angeles has completely collapsed in the second half. I swear, Candace Parker sometimes treats defense like a deadbeat dad treats child support.

Sparks led by 10 in the 3rd quarter but now Dallas is up 6 with 2:30 to play. Arike is having an outstanding game, leading all scorers with 28, further shoring up the inevitability of her ROY selection. After all, how can you not vote for a player who leads her team to an 8-17 record?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
According to play by play transcript Glory Johnson fouled Chelsea Gray on a 24 foot shot attempt. She hit it and the FT. How the hell do you foul a 3 point shooter inside a minute left when you are ahead?

Reaction Score
Los Angeles has completely collapsed in the second half. I swear, Candace Parker sometimes treats defense like a deadbeat dad treats child support.

Sparks led by 10 in the 3rd quarter but now Dallas is up 6 with 2:30 to play. Arike is having an outstanding game, leading all scorers with 28, further shoring up the inevitability of her ROY selection. After all, how can you not vote for a player who leads her team to an 8-17 record?

OMG....thanks for the laugh

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ogunbowale finished w/ 35 on 12-21 shooting, 3-5 behind the arc and 8-9 FTs. Regardless of your opinion of her, that's a strong game.
Yeah but she did have 6 turnovers. :)

Candace Parker is playing like she's more of a TNT analyst than a WNBA player: 4 points on 2-8 shooting, 3 turnovers, and countless disappearing acts on defense.

Reaction Score
Ogunbowale finished w/ 35 on 12-21 shooting, 3-5 behind the arc and 8-9 FTs. Regardless of your opinion of her, that's a strong game.
But she had no assists :p. Haha joking. Her teammates weren't exactly hot aside from Glory. If they can't guard you, they can't guard you. Plus all those free throws. She's going to be a big time scorer in this league.

Reaction Score
That is one of the things I do not like about Parker. She very often just decides not to play and gives very little effort. That sort of thing becomes contagious and is one of the reasons the Sparks are not focused in certain games as they should be under the circumstances. When you have to include her in the rotation even though her effort is lacking it keeps players like Vadeeva limited to 11 minutes a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom