August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 5 | The Boneyard

August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow, Cambage letting the league know what she thinks about the way smaller players are allowed to defend big post players. I don't know how the WNBA responds, that would be an automatic fine in the NBA. Responding to the incident w/ Griner last night, as well as her own experiences game to game.
Can you clarify?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Can you clarify?

Paraphrasing. She has bruises all over after every game, she's tired of getting hacked, and she thinks the fight between Phoenix and Dallas is on the league because of all the physical play they let go without calling fouls. She ended by saying the league needs to "fix it."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Paraphrasing. She has bruises all over after every game, she's tired of getting hacked, and she thinks the fight between Phoenix and Dallas is on the league because of all the physical play they let go without calling fouls. She ended by saying the league needs to "fix it."
Tanx, mon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, just reporting what I heard. :cool: FTA have generally been down in the league this year but that Phoenix-Dallas game did have a lot more than typically has been seen this season. Liz also said she and Griner would both score 30 every night if the refs called the game properly, so there's some hyperbole on her part. On the flip side smaller defenders can feel nearly helpless trying to matchup with someone that much bigger, who can use their body as a battering ram sometimes. Everyone has their side of a story, somewhere in the middle probably is the truth.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just want to say again that I’m really impressed with Natisha Hiedeman. She’s having a really good game this evening after being cut earlier.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
LA pulls out a 84-81 win. Big game for Gray.

Surprised that Chicago kept it that close and had a chance to win while playing without Vandersloot and Lavender.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Surprised that Chicago kept it that close and had a chance to win while playing without Vandersloot and Lavender.

Gabby had to take over Sloot's role and I thought she did pretty well for most of the game but that last play, no one wanted to take control. And Gray is ridiculously good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Finally able to see my Liberty live at Barclays against the Storm. We were leading at the half by 2 due to the heroics of Tina Charles but fell apart in the 2nd half.

The Liberty just do not run any quality offense. All are points come from almost super human 1-1 efforts, defense stops leading to fast breaks, O Reb etc while the Storm run some decent stuff with motion and effective screening. And Whitcomb is a beast and they have so many good complementary players. Clark is particularly effective.

And Kia Nurse looks like she has lost her confidence. Jumps shot way off and it looks like she can't free herself enough to get inside like she was early in the season. :confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score
I think Cambage may have a point in general terms, but the Phoenix-Dallas game may not be the best example, and setting good standards is a responsibility that's on both the league and the players: the Merc took 34 free throw attempts and the Wings took 26 - that's 60 free throw attempts in 60 minutes (and none were the result of all those ejections)! And there were 46 fouls called in that game. Who wants to watch that? How many fouls does Cambage think should be called per game? 75? 100? Most WNBA teams have too many injured players this season to afford more than 1 or 2 foul-outs per game. :D

I watched some of the Sun/Wings game. Cambage does have a point but I also saw quite a few elbows to the players face from Cambage that weren’t called

Reaction Score
I watched some of the Sun/Wings game. Cambage does have a point but I also saw quite a few elbows to the players face from Cambage that weren’t called

It’s funny to see Cambage and Taurasi making this point, since they both get away with a lot from officials.

Reaction Score
It’s funny to see Cambage and Taurasi making this point, since they both get away with a lot from officials.
Rebecca made the point at halftime showing the fouls called this year from past years is down almost 2 per game. That is on the refs, they need to fix the problem before it gets worse.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kristine's gonna be a really good one and I hate to see her go. The reality for the Sun, however, is that they will have 7 players going into free agency next year. Everyone deserves to get paid but the salary cap makes that impossible. The roster will have to turnover to some degree. This is the reality of the W and of pro sports in general... it can be a cold business.

The Sun appears to be in their best position to contend for a championship in the last 7 years. This is an "All-in" move to try to get over the top with the core group that has been together for several years now before things change. For her part, Theresa is now in the best position SHE has every been in to win a championship. No matter what she thinks about summering in Uncasville, that should stoke her considerable competitive fire.

Fingers crossed and... GO SUN!!

Don’t be surprised if Morgan Tuck gets caught up in that roster turn over. She’s having recurring knee problems and looks out of shape. Her minutes have been drastically reduced this year, averaging only 10.3 mpg. Only Brionna Jones (7.3 mpg) averages less. It would be very easy for the Sun to replace her with a healthy promising minimum wage rookie coming out of college.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

On back to back plays last night Cambage and Jonquel Jones managed to stick their elbow in the other's face. Both might have been incidental...or not.

Reaction Score
Rebecca made the point at halftime showing the fouls called this year from past years is down almost 2 per game. That is on the refs, they need to fix the problem before it gets worse.
Two fouls per game doesn’t seem huge; that’s just one foul per team. Ironically, the Phoenix vs Dallas game saw a huge number of fouls called before the fight.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow, Cambage letting the league know what she thinks about the way smaller players are allowed to defend big post players. I don't know how the WNBA responds, that would be an automatic fine in the NBA. Responding to the incident w/ Griner last night, as well as her own experiences game to game.

Griner, 5 others ejected in Mercury, Wings scuffle

PHOENIX -- Brittney Griner and five other players were ejected after a fight broke out midway through the fourth quarter of Dallas' 80-77 win over Phoenix on Saturday night.

With 6:23 left in the final period, Griner and Wings forward Kristine Anigwe got tangled up in the lane and a scuffle ensued. The Mercury's 6-foot-8 center had to be restrained by an official at midcourt where she was still trying to get at Dallas players.

After about a 10-minute review, the officials ejected Griner, Diana Taurasi and Briann January from Phoenix. Taurasi was inactive for the game, but was tossed for leaving the bench area. Anigwe, Kayla Thornton and Kaela Davis were ejected for Dallas. Phoenix was leading 71-68 at that point. This was the Wings first road win of the season. The win snapped an 18-game road losing streak for Dallas dating to July 12, 2018

[Story] [Box score]

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Courtney Vandersloot recently passed Cappie Pondexter to move up to #6 on the career assist list. She should pass Becky Hammon for the #5 position next season. Also recorded 200+ assists for 3 years running now.

edit--she missed the last game; if she doesn't miss more games she has a very good chance of breaking her own single season record, she's only 55 behind w/ 10 games left plus they should make the playoffs, and she's averaging nearly 9/game.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Allen just had 20 points in the second quarter to steer a Liberty comeback against the Lynx! That has to be up there with most points scored in a single quarter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rebecca Allen just had 20 points in the second quarter to steer a Liberty comeback against the Lynx! That has to be up there with most points scored in a single quarter.

and then does not start 3Q where Liberty promptly fall behind quickly. Head bang

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wonder who will replace Smith as HC next season.

I felt like Smith was in way over her head last season. She is proving me to be correct this year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ouch, tough day for the UConn trio from the floor in the latest Lib loss--combined 11-36. Allen was 11-15 including 6-7 behind the arc.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Las Vegas and Atlanta are going toe to toe approaching halftime. Gulich maybe on the way to the best game of her career, 12 points and 5 boards in 12 minutes on 4-5 shooting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gulich has a 14/10 double-double half way thru the 4th quarter

I think that's gotta be the first of her career.

Big 15-2 surge for LV to start Q4 to take the lead.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've said myself plenty of times that +/- scores have to be taken with a big grain of salt, but Gulich is +20 in her 27 minutes on the floor, in a game where they are trailing by 2. That's fairly dramatic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom