August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 4 | The Boneyard

August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plum not on the court for Aces final play when they needed a 3pt shot to tie.

Plum barely played in the 2nd half. It's not like Colson was lighting it up either. Colson was in the game during a nice run for LV in Q3, but that was mostly because Sugar Rodgers got hot from 3.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Griner, 5 others ejected in Mercury, Wings scuffle

PHOENIX -- Brittney Griner and five other players were ejected after a fight broke out midway through the fourth quarter of Dallas' 80-77 win over Phoenix on Saturday night.

With 6:23 left in the final period, Griner and Wings forward Kristine Anigwe got tangled up in the lane and a scuffle ensued. The Mercury's 6-foot-8 center had to be restrained by an official at midcourt where she was still trying to get at Dallas players.

After about a 10-minute review, the officials ejected Griner, Diana Taurasi and Briann January from Phoenix. Taurasi was inactive for the game, but was tossed for leaving the bench area. Anigwe, Kayla Thornton and Kaela Davis were ejected for Dallas. Phoenix was leading 71-68 at that point. This was the Wings first road win of the season. The win snapped an 18-game road losing streak for Dallas dating to July 12, 2018

[Story] [Box score]

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arike with a typically efficient 6 of 18 shooting night.
But of course the story only reports her point total and makes her sound like the hero.
Hooray for her! She's led her team to a their first road win of the season, and it's only August 10.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arike with a typically efficient 6 of 18 shooting night.
But of course the story only reports her point total and makes her sound like the hero.
Hooray for her! She's led her team to a their first road win of the season, and it's only August 10.

16 freaking FT attempts. I'm guessing that's a record for a rookie. Refs are loving her too apparently.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, Griner lost her mind. Anigwe yanked on her arm pretty hard, but her reaction was over the top. Looks like she can still work on anger management a bit.

Looks like Taurasi was trying to keep the peace. I guess letter of the law they had to toss her for leaving the bench, but it's not like she was in there throwing punches.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow, Griner lost her mind. Anigwe yanked on her arm pretty hard, but her reaction was over the top. Looks like she can still work on anger management a bit.

Looks like Taurasi was trying to keep the peace. I guess letter of the law they had to toss her for leaving the bench, but it's not like she was in there throwing punches.

Griner, Taurasi, and Cunningham on the same team???? Looks like they should try to make a trade for Ogunbowale..... that would make a lovely quartet.

Upon reviewing the highlights..... After all these years...... Griner still punches like a girl :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dee deserved to get tossed, in my opinion. She was out there pushing Dallas players and running her mouth with what looked like no attempt to de-escalate.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Dee deserved to get tossed, in my opinion. She was out there pushing Dallas players and running her mouth with what looked like no attempt to de-escalate.

I also think DT saw an entirely different play than the one I've watched on replay like 12 times:
"Today I went on the court to make sure my teammate didn't get jumped," Taurasi said. "She got punched in the face and then someone ran on her back and threw punches at her face. I would do that 100 times out of 100 times."

The only people who jumped on Griner were those trying to restrain her. That said, Anigwe did seem like she was unnecessarily physical in getting tangled up with Griner under the basket.

Nevertheless, for a league dealing with pressing issues of its handling of domestic partner abuse by its players, this doesn't necessarily help counter that image.

Reaction Score
Nevertheless, for a league dealing with pressing issues of its handling of domestic partner abuse by its players, this doesn't necessarily help counter that image.
Particularly when the main player in escalating this nonsense has a previous DV record+suspension and a history of throwing punches in games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
D probably set another new mark in the WNBA...by picking up a technical and then getting ejected in back to back games while not playing in either game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Upon reviewing the highlights..... After all these years. Griner still punches like a girl :rolleyes:

When the ref had her wrapped up, she was throwing some flailing windmill punches like a little kid.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sorry to interrupt this fight, but interesting slate of games today. Recently hot LA and Chicago battle, Minnesota fresh off of crushing Connecticut now gets Washington, Connecticut and Las Vegas each coming off a loss are paired up, and Seattle plays New York.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Liberty was up 2 at halftime, Charles had poured in 20 points. 2nd half she disappeared, Seattle ran away w/ the game in Q3. Won by 15. The silent assassins Clark and Whitcomb led the way, combined 39 points on 14-18 shooting and 6-8 behind the arc.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington up 18 w/ less than 2 minutes left. Meesseman, EDD and Powers all w/ 20+. They were already really good before Emma returned. Took a game or 2 for her to get in the flow, but now she's been lighting it up coming off the bench.

edit--101-78 final

and that was with no Toliver, and 3 starters combing for only 10 points

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
In my superstitious little mind, I thought I've been jinxing Kelsey Plum every time I've watched Las Vegas play. Not today. Hot 4-4 start, 9 points, still in Q1. Aces in general started fast, but Connecticut is clawing back in the game, 16-13.

No Vandersloot today for Chicago. They had a sizable lead but LA closed the half on a 9-0 run, 44-39 at halftime.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LA pulls out a 84-81 win. Big game for Gray.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Chelsea (expletive deleted) Gray :cool: That's all i gotta say.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The 3 starting guards for Las Vegas collectively were ice cold against Chicago. Much much better today for all 3 of them. With Cambage on the bench w/ 4 fouls, LV has stretched their lead out to 13 (was tied at halftime).

Reaction Score
7 minutes left and JJ not in the game?? Rachel Bahnem in???

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
7 minutes left and JJ not in the game?? Rachel Bahnem in???

bench has scored last 18 for them, cut a 12 point deficit down to 3 at one point

Reaction Score
bench has scored last 18 for them, cut a 12 point deficit down to 3 at one point

Without Cambage. I would’ve had JJ out there. And Bahnem to me, isn’t W material

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
just not a good game for JJ, 6 points on 2-9 shooting; she does have 11 rebounds though

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington back on top of the league standings. 1-4 are tightly packed together and #5 and #6 aren't that much further out of it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, Cambage letting the league know what she thinks about the way smaller players are allowed to defend big post players. I don't know how the WNBA responds, that would be an automatic fine in the NBA. Responding to the incident w/ Griner last night, as well as her own experiences game to game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom