August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Liberty stunk it up tonight.... how can you get beat by 20+ to Dallas :eek:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vadeeva made her first appearance of the season. Looked kinda rusty though. Chiney was out this game (had a tooth pulled), if they actually have all of their frontcourt players available, that's a really crowded rotation.

Reaction Score
Would like to see that Aces-Sparks matchup with everyone healthy. Might make a great playoff series. Aces would have won tonight without Wilson if Plum could’ve hit the broad side of a barn. Cambage was great at passing back out of the double team underneath to a wide-open Plum, but Plum went 3-13. That probably wouldn’t happen every game in a 3 or 5 game playoff series.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Would like to see that Aces-Sparks matchup with everyone healthy. Might make a great playoff series. Aces would have won tonight without Wilson if Plum could’ve hit the broad side of a barn. Cambage was great at passing back out of the double team underneath to a wide-open Plum, but Plum went 3-13. That probably wouldn’t happen every game in a 3 or 5 game playoff series.

I wouldn't count on Plum to hit open shots, she has been awful this year. Last 15 game she is 30-113 from the floor (26.5%) and 14-52 from deep (26.9%).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Plum has to be the unluckiest (healthy) player in the league this year. Almost all of her missed shots rim out. I don't know what the problem is. It's just not her year. The Aces collectively shot poorly tonight. 35% from the floor. Hamby was 5-14, J. Young 1-5, T. Young 2-7. No need to try to pin this one exclusively on Plum missing shots.

edited--most of her shots were in the 4th quarter when nobody really had it going offensively and she was trying to make something happen

Also I gotta say Plum can't a trip to the FT line to save her life. 21 FTA in 21 games. She got hammered several times tonight w/ no call. Refs aren't doing her any favors.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Liberty stunk it up tonight.... how can you get beat by 20+ to Dallas :eek:

Game was competitive until a few minutes left in 1st half. Then we just lost any sense of defensive intensity. Embarrassing really. Arike was tough and in control in the game (bad news :oops:) and especially in the 1st half but on the + side, Megan Gustafson continues to find herself in the league. 11pts (7-7 ft) 8 rb. :D

Reaction Score
I saw Karlie Samuelson's seven day contract was not renewed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Samuelson's situation w/ LA is weird. When they signed her she was playing more than Mabrey. She was getting plenty of PT earlier in the season, but Mabrey only played 1 minute last night. Did the coach lose confidence in her? Wiese has been all over the place as far as minutes and being in and out of the starting line up. Alexis Jones is back from injury, probably why Samuelson was let go.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wiese looks a lot better to me. She had one assist that was really top flight.
Wiese and Jones are definitely the 2-3 quards. Mabrey will be in even more trouble when Beard gets back.

Surprised no mention was made of Candice Parker's return. She played very well.

Also surprised no mention made that Stewie was the guest announcer for the game. Ok, not really announcer but sounding board. Also made an appearance on the ESPN mothership where seh was interviewed by Burke.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wiese looks a lot better to me. She had one assist that was really top flight.

That dump off to Vadeeva? That was nice. 3-4 behind the arc as well.

Yeah, Parker gets bashed a lot around here but she did have a nice game. Really changed the complexion of the game drawing 2 quick fouls on Cambage as well (I missed the first one, second foul looked like an acting job).

I thought Stewie had good insights but a very dry delivery. Her broadcast partners were very excited about her bright blue jacket though.

edit--as long as we're talking about things nobody mentioned, got to see an exciting finish to a CFL game that overran it's time slot; with apologies to our northern neighbors I have even less interest in the CFL than I do preseason NFL, which is to say none at all

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Samuelson's situation w/ LA is weird. When they signed her she was playing more than Mabrey. She was getting plenty of PT earlier in the season, but Mabrey only played 1 minute last night. Did the coach lose confidence in her? Wiese has been all over the place as far as minutes and being in and out of the starting line up. Alexis Jones is back from injury, probably why Samuelson was let go.

I've noticed that Mabrey's playing time is way down. This comes after she had 12 points in 26 minutes on 7/18 (see game logs below).

Before the Williams suspension, Mabrey and Wiese were splitting the backup guard minutes pretty evenly. Then Wiese took the starting job with Williams out and they brought in Samuelson and gave her almost all the backup guard minutes on 7/20 & 7/23. Now, Samuelson is gone and Alexis Jones got all the backup guard minutes last night.

Somehow as the Sparks' roster got thinner, Mabrey's playing time went down. It's like the thin roster just convinced Fisher to shorten the rotation to 7 every game (8 now that Vadeeva is back).

That being said, when your top skill is meant to be shooting and you are shooting 26.3% from deep, it's going to be hard to get floor time. I'm not sure where I read it, but I believe I read some comments from her where she was talking about the mental adjustment and how she is second-guessing herself on the court.

It's hard to have the same confidence and rhythm coming off the bench and adjusting to not being a primary scoring option. KML shot sub-30% from 3 in two of her first three seasons.

It really gives you an appreciation for the sharpshooters like Quigley and McBride when you see college shooters come in and struggle.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Washington (the city) really brought its A game to Washington (the state) and coasted to a 99-79 win.. Delle Donne was spectacular (again) with 29 points on 9-15 FG and 8-8 FT. If she doesn't win MVP this year then something will have gone very wrong in the next month.

Behind EDD, though, the Mystics are so balanced. As a team they shot 55%. Atkins, Toliver, Meesseman and Powers (the latter two off the bench) all scored in double figures.

I actually thought Seattle didn't play horribly except for their cold (3-22) shooting from the arc. Howard had another great game (26 points, 3 blocks, 3 steals) but they just couldn't keep pace with Washington's offense.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ouch. I quit watching midway thru the 2nd quarter. Seattle's D has been keeping them in games this year, but they had no answer for Washington's well oiled machine. Lights out shooting got them out to a big lead early, once Seattle finally stared scoring, they were trading buckets and couldn't whittle away at the lead much. Great performance by the Mystics. When EDD is in the lineup they look like the best team in the league.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ouch. I quit watching midway thru the 2nd quarter. Seattle's D has been keeping them in games this year, but they had no answer for Washington's well oiled machine. Lights out shooting got them out to a big lead early, once Seattle finally stared scoring, they were trading buckets and couldn't whittle away at the lead much. Great performance by the Mystics. When EDD is in the lineup they look like the best team in the league.
On that note, the Mystics are 14-2 with EDD in the lineup (I'm not counting the loss where she broke her nose in the first minute).

Without her, they are 0-4.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow. Hamby has already been playing a lot, Swords and Park are gonna get all the PT they could ask for this game. I think that's it for their post rotation. Maybe they'll play some small ball.

Reaction Score
From what I read Cambage didn’t rest a lot over the All Star break. DJ’ing celeb parties, etc. Plus she was an All Star, so she actually played in the game and all. Anyway, Dallas is a good team to rest against. Aces beat them by 32 last week without Wilson.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Dallas is a good team to rest against. Aces beat them by 32 last week without Wilson.
That was in Vegas. Dallas is a much better team at home than on the road. In fact I think they're still winless on the road.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Swords w/ a double-double today. She's looked solid in limited minutes when I've watched the Aces play this year (I don't have NBAtv so not watching today). 13 pts 10 reb on 6-11 shooting, LV clinging to a lead under 3 minutes left.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Swords w/ a double-double today. She's looked solid in limited minutes when I've watched the Aces play this year (I don't have NBAtv so not watching today). 13 pts 10 reb on 6-11 shooting, LV clinging to a lead under 3 minutes left.

Was at the game tonight, first W game in a few years. Crowd had a ton of energy and was really entertaining with all of the little kids. Impressive win by the Aces without A'ja or Liz. Big SC/ND game with Wilson, Gray, Davis, Diggins, Ogunbowale, McBride and Young all in the house. Big games by ND alum, all of Young, McBride and Ogunbowale came to play. Dallas is going to be extremely good next year if they can land Cox and Diggins is back in form. More playmakers are desperately needed with this crew.

Aces didnt look great but made plays down the stretch. Plum at off guard just isnt a good option for them this year though, another poor performance by her. I'd like to see Young off the ball like she was at ND and put Colson in the PG role. Colson is electric out there and Young is a great option to have alongside her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That was in Vegas. Dallas is a much better team at home than on the road. In fact I think they're still winless on the road.

Maybe Cambage did not want to hear the crowd boos after shafting their team. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom