Aubrey's Surge | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aubrey's Surge

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Exactly!
Ok, here's the Aubrey vs. Gabby data from their freshman years-please note Gabby was on an undefeated team that won the title with almost all being blowouts.
Rebounds
NameGP-GSMin AveFG-FGAFG%3FG- FGAFT-FTAFT%OFFDEFTOTAVGPFATOBLKSTLPTSAV
Aubrey32-0
74-144
1-1056-93
Gabby38-0
137-215
0-142-91

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Take a look at Aubrey's year so far, and you see some remarkable stats. Aubrey has now rung up more free throw attempts (92) than any other player on the team. That's 16 more than the team's starting center, ONO. And she's done it while playing barely half the minutes of the starters. She was a bad free throw shooter most of the season. But she's broken through. While her total FT% is just 61%, she's made 16 of 22 free throws over the past four games.

She's now 2nd in steals, one ahead of Megan, while playing half the minutes. Her FG% (52%) is second among the top players, trailing only ONO (Irwin's is slightly higher, but she's been relegated to sub for some time now). She's second in blocks with 17, again ahead of Megan Walker's 15, though racked up in just half the minutes played.

And she's 3rd in total rebounds.

She's scoring at a 10.4 ppg clip over the past five games.

She is a rocket that is just now showing up on the radar screens!

Aubrey will continue to soar. I doubt if Aubrey will start next year. In fact, I'd bet against it, but she will get substantial playing time because of her exceptional skill set, and the fact that she will then know what she's doing. Also look for Geno to give her more "leash", as her role (and Geno's expectations for her) will expand. She's deferring now to upper classmen on plays she'll take herself (and be expected to) next year.

I do expect her to be at or near the top in the categories you've mentioned. It's too early to talk about next year, and I'll be happy to go into more depth on this after the season ends, but I do expect her to retain her 6th man status next year. That means lots of playing time. In fact, I expect her minutes to mirror that of the starters.

Think about it, which one of the 5 incoming freshmen is likely to supplant her for that role?. :eek: You know the answer to that question as well as I do. Play in WCBB is a little easier the second time around the block.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Exactly!! We're looking at this through the same optical prism. Paige will get a lot of playing time, but she'll do so coming off the bench barring injury. She'll no doubt start her sophomore year and beyond. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Exactly!! We're looking at this through the same optical prism. Paige will get a lot of playing time, but she'll do so coming off the bench barring injury. She'll no doubt start her sophomore year and beyond. :rolleyes:

So what is the plan if Evina stays for her second year. CW,Evina will start as seniors and Paige starting as sophomore?

Carnac

Reaction Score
So what is the plan if Evina stays for her second year. CW,Evina will start as seniors and Paige starting as sophomore?

To be honest, I don't think Westbrook stays for year 2. I think she bolts for the W just like Azure Stevens did. I'd bet my turban and cape she's gone after next year. She graduates and leaves with her BFF Megan Walker to see what kind of carnage they can create at the next level. Paige will be ready (and chomping at the bit) to take over the starting pg spot. Her leaving (IMO) won't leave Geno in a lurch as much as when Stevens left. Not at all. :rolleyes:

IF Westbrook stays, she starts. There will be a plethora of uber talented players on this team ready to assume a starters role. That's too far away to guess who will EARN a starter's spot. I think by then, UConn will have returned to that position of being bad of WCBB. South Carolina has arrived and is not going away. Neither is Oregon. They've got some very talented recruits coming in the next couple of years. The thought of UConn being bad for the game may be part of a 3 headed monster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't think Westbrook stays for year 2. I think she bolts for the W just like Azure Stevens did. I'd bet my turban and cape she's gone after next year. She graduates and leaves with her BFF, Megan Walker to see what kind of carnage they can create at the next level. Paige will be ready (and chomping at the bit) to take over the starting pg spot. Her leaving (IMO) won't leave Geno in a lurch as when Stevens left. Not at all. :rolleyes:
Haha - BFF may already be gone after THIS year

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't think Westbrook stays for year 2. I think she bolts for the W just like Azure Stevens did. I'd bet my turban and cape she's gone after next year. She graduates and leaves with her BFF, Megan Walker to see what kind of carnage they can create at the next level. Paige will be ready (and chomping at the bit) to take over the starting pg spot. Her leaving (IMO) won't leave Geno in a lurch as when Stevens left. Not at all. :rolleyes:

IF Westbrook stays, she starts. There are going to be a lot of very talented players on this team ready to assume a starters role. That's too far away to guess who will EARN a starter's spot. I think by then, UConn will have returned to that position of being bad of WCBB. South Carolina has arrived and is not going away. Neither is Oregon. They've got some very talented recruits coming in the next couple of years.

My thought is that Evina may not have the AA season that gets her drafted in the first round (injury+growing pains in the system like Azure had but Evina not 6' 6") and might want a second year to bolster her credentials. I hope she has the kind of season that lets her leave after 1 season but I am not sure

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Haha - BFF may already be gone after THIS year

This year’s draft is too deep — it would be a bad business/brand move for Megan to take the jump this year.

Next year, she’s a top 5 draft pick — possibly top three — depending on how things shake out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This year’s draft is too deep — it would be a bad business/brand move for Megan to take the jump this year.

Next year, she’s a top 5 draft pick — possibly top three — depending on how things shake out next year.
The BY will have a wide variety of creative rationale for her decision. Pretty much guarantee that ALL of it will be rationale for her decision to stay (which to some would be strong evidence that it may be less than 100% objective).

Carnac

Reaction Score
My thought is that Evina may not have the AA season that gets her drafted in the first round (injury+growing pains in the system like Azure had but Evina not 6' 6") and might want a second year to bolster her credentials. I hope she has the kind of season that lets her leave after 1 season but I am not sure

The team would be better if she returns for year 2. You’re right. She may not be a high first round draft pick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom