Aubrey's Surge | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aubrey's Surge

Reaction Score
Too much hype for the youngsters. We will be deep next year. No way Walker and Anna don't start. Notice Anna had 8 assists last night. Depending on Piath and how she develops, I see Griffin as the first off the bench to rest the two forwards and Edwards giving Ono break time. Williams clearly starts. Does Geno let the freshman start at PG, or does he go with the more experienced Westbrook? Whoever starts they both get close to 20 minutes. Or he may go risky and use Buekers as the PG and Muhl as the backup, lets see how she develops, and Westbrook moves to the 2, maybe 15 minutes behind Williams 25??? That leaves a lot of talent sitting on the pine as the odd woman out. You can give bench players more time, but you like to let your starters who have earned the time rack up the stats to earn AA status. I just don't see Geno playing 5 for 25 minutes and 5 for 15. But who knows. What a nice problem to have next year. And the year after. And the year after. And .........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully she can help control Sabrina if we see them in the Regional final. I think she has the ability to do that and if she can, it might just make the difference. Of course, the problem with Oregon is that they are really a three-headed snake. I think if we can control two of the three we will have a very good shot at winning that game. Actually, I suppose Geno might not even put her on Sabrina?
I’ve been thinking about that potential matchup a lot. It’s not just controlling Ionescu, but Oregon killed UConn running the pick & roll with Ionescu & Hebard. The problem for UConn was that Crystal had to fight over the pick, because she’s too small to switch off on Hebard. To help Crystal, Liv started jumping out for a quick double on Ionescu, but she and Hebard are so good at running a 2-man game that Ionescu either got the ball to Hebard for an easy basket or she backed out and they ran it again until someone was open.

With Aubrey on Ionescu, UConn could play that pick and roll by simply switching Liv and her giant wingspan on Ionescu and let Aubrey battle Hebard.

Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking about that potential matchup a lot. It’s not just controlling Ionescu, but Oregon killed UConn running the pick & roll with Ionescu & Hebard. The problem for UConn was that Crystal had to fight over the pick, because she’s too small to switch off on Hebard. To help Crystal, Liv started jumping out for a quick double on Ionescu, but she and Hebard are so good at running a 2-man game that Ionescu either got the ball to Hebard for an easy basket or she backed out and they ran it again until someone was open.

With Aubrey on Ionescu, UConn could play that pick and roll by simply switching Liv and her giant wingspan on Ionescu and let Aubrey battle Hebard.
They also have to double Hebard or Sabrina with a wing defender and make them a passer. We would have to hope Boley or Moore are shooting 3's over their norm.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They also have to double Hebard or Sabrina with a wing defender and make them a passer. We would have to hope Boley or Moore are shooting 3's over their norm.
I don’t know. I think UConn could start off playing Ionescu & Hebard one on one with Aubrey & Liv. If that didn’t work, then maybe you think about doubling. But once you start doubling, Ionescu is a master at getting the ball to open teammates.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I think UConn could start off playing Ionescu & Hebard one on one with Aubrey & Liv. If that didn’t work, then maybe you think about doubling. But once you start doubling, Ionescu is a master at getting the ball to open teammates.
Difficult decision. Had similar thoughts of putting Aubrey on Ionescu but dismissed them since Oregon also very good on defense. Love Aubrey's defense but her current lack of offense gives Oregon the ability to play 5 on 4. Suggest we stick with current line up and sub patterns and hoping we get this far to out shoot, out defense and out run all opposition.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I thought it was overkill, but Brooke Weisbrod called her the future face of basketball. Regardless, the recognition is very nice.
I love what Aubrey is doing, but I almost choked on my popcorn when I heard that. WAAAYYYYYY too early to make that kind of statement even if you believe that is her trajectory.

I also heard Liv's game compared to Kevin Durant's last night so... Head bang

Reaction Score
Thanks, all. I just read the entire thread, great comments. Kudos to the Boneyard's finest. :cool:

I can't imagine any UConn fan not being excruciatingly excited by her potential. :D

My hope is that she spends her summer split between the foul line and the weight room. :eek:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The thing that strikes me about Griffin is is she is still physically young. Next year she'll be bigger, stronger and thus able to finish at the rim through contact. I'm confident that free throws, which have already improved, will be a point of emphasis in the off season. I expect Aubrey 2.0 to be a much more effective and efficient player. That should be scary to BE coaches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you sure? Geno does have a lot of respect for Jingo's opinion.
Yes .. let's see where the chips fall in October .. right now we're all just speculating and having FUN .. and let's see if Megan can deliver in the Tourney, against the tougher teams, the way that Danger always does...

Reaction Score
Oh boy, the

Brooke must be related to @Jingo :D
I had to go to Ancestry.com to find out if Brooke and I are related, but couldn't find a connection other than we're both good-looking.
Brooke and I are generally in sync, especially about Griff and Liv being future stars in the WNBA but I don't agree with her Kevin Durant comparison. [Liv's a better passer]
Liv is incomparable .. one-of-a-kind .. nobody like her .. and should be the focal point of the Huskies offense/defense right now and for the following two years. IMHO!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey, one thing that I have noticed while watching games in person (which no announcers have commented on) is that she seems to have a significant issue with stamina. In the Cincinnati game, she had only been in the game for 3 minutes or so in the first half when she was panting to get back on defense as fast as the player she was guarding -- and did not succeed in doing so. Geno took her out of the game soon after that. I had not seen that from any UConn player since Lexie Gordon left the program.

I realize that her playing style consumes an extraordinary amount of energy, and that she is not trying to pace herself to go 35 or 40 minutes (probably on instructions from the coaches). But those of you who suggest that what she does in relatively brief playing time could be extended to a full game are not taking her stamina issue into account.

Hopefully that (in addition to her jump shot) is a problem that she can fix over the summer months.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I had to go to Ancestry.com to find out if Brooke and I are related, but couldn't find a connection other than we're both good-looking.
Brooke and I are generally in sync, especially about Griff and Liv being future stars in the WNBA but I don't agree with her Kevin Durant comparison. [Liv's a better passer]
Liv is incomparable .. one-of-a-kind .. nobody like her .. and should be the focal point of the Huskies offense/defense right now and for the following two years. IMHO!

Liv's development is encouraging and she's obviously working hard on her game. Her ceiling looks high but all she's proven so far is that she can dominate lower tier size and talent. If she shows out in a rematch with Baylor, or looks dominent against her SC and Oregon opponents, I'll gladly step up to the Koolaid dispenser for a sip or two.

Reaction Score
Liv's development is encouraging and she's obviously working hard on her game. Her ceiling looks high but all she's proven so far is that she can dominate lower tier size and talent. If she shows out in a rematch with Baylor, or looks dominent against her SC and Oregon opponents, I'll gladly step up to the Koolaid dispenser for a sip or two.
Like any post player, a lot depends on the players who are feeding her the ball .. except for Ania, Liv is not the recipient of many good "entry passes" .. she'll do much better in the WNBA where they will capitalise on her 'high ceiling' .. eh?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some nice comments on Aubrey by her team mates

I thought she should’ve been on the All-Freshman team and I think she should’ve won Defensive Player of the Year award,” Dangerfield said. “There’s not many people in our conference that can do what she does.”

“She should be Defensive Player of the Year,” Makurat added.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey, one thing that I have noticed while watching games in person (which no announcers have commented on) is that she seems to have a significant issue with stamina. In the Cincinnati game, she had only been in the game for 3 minutes or so in the first half when she was panting to get back on defense as fast as the player she was guarding -- and did not succeed in doing so. Geno took her out of the game soon after that. I had not seen that from any UConn player since Lexie Gordon left the program.

I realize that her playing style consumes an extraordinary amount of energy, and that she is not trying to pace herself to go 35 or 40 minutes (probably on instructions from the coaches). But those of you who suggest that what she does in relatively brief playing time could be extended to a full game are not taking her stamina issue into account.

Hopefully that (in addition to her jump shot) is a problem that she can fix over the summer months.
The only problem with her jump shot is that she rarely uses it. You'll see next season.

Reaction Score
The only problem with her jump shot is that she rarely uses it. You'll see next season.

The one area in which she doesn't register relative to her teammates is in 3-point shooting. I believe she's made 1 of 10 attempts. At least at this point in her career, she's not an outside shooter. Indeed, she's gone to the line for nine times as many attempts as 3-pointers!

Reaction Score
I truly believe that if Aubrey can develop a jump shot and a 30-35% three pt shot she will be one of the best two way players in the game. We all know at UConn she will get stronger and will improve her knowledge of the system. Once she gains confidence in her shot and practices her shot relentlessly she has NPOY potential. We will all be shaking our heads with amazement in a year or two in how good she will be defensively. It’s the offensive side that needs catching up and if she can pattern her offensive game to a Nalyssa Smiths from Baylor, Aubrey will be remembered as one of the greats It’s a long ways away, but it’s the potential that’s so tantalizing.

Before the season started I didn’t know what to expect from our freshman but I have to tell you both Anna and Aubrey have amazing potential and they both possess different skill sets which complimwnt each other. We’ve seen Anna deliver great passes to Aubrey for an easy finish around the rim. Anna’s deep threat and ability to drive and feed open shooters or slashers is a skill set that’s going to be needed next year when CD is gone.

Reaction Score
Great comments
She can be the difference maker inn the tournament. I hope Gino has her guard the opposing teams point guard. I would have a short leach on Christyn and Anna and get Aubrey in the game before Q2
That leach could be painful. My only thought is we can’t afford not to have Anna on the floor, as she makes team move with assists and assists to assists if you will.

Reaction Score
The one area in which she doesn't register relative to her teammates is in 3-point shooting. I believe she's made 1 of 10 attempts. At least at this point in her career, she's not an outside shooter. Indeed, she's gone to the line for nine times as many attempts as 3-pointers!

And yet early in the season Geno listed shooting 3's, along with drives and rebounding as the things she was told by the coaches were allowed. I doubt he would have included 3's if he wasn't sure she could shoot them. IMO she just isn't comfortable shooting them. Next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom