Aubrey's Surge | The Boneyard

Aubrey's Surge

Reaction Score
Take a look at Aubrey's year so far, and you see some remarkable stats. Aubrey has now rung up more free throw attempts (92) than any other player on the team. That's 16 more than the team's starting center, ONO. And she's done it while playing barely half the minutes of the starters. She was a bad free throw shooter most of the season. But she's broken through. While her total FT% is just 61%, she's made 16 of 22 free throws over the past four games.

She's now 2nd in steals, one ahead of Megan, while playing half the minutes. Her FG% (52%) is second among the top players, trailing only ONO (Irwin's is slightly higher, but she's been relegated to sub for some time now). She's second in blocks with 17, again ahead of Megan Walker's 15, though racked up in just half the minutes played.

And she's 3rd in total rebounds.

She's scoring at a 10.4 ppg clip over the past five games.

She is a rocket that is just now showing up on the radar screens!

Reaction Score
"She is a rocket that is just now showing up on the radar screens!"

To me, Aubrey is a heat seeking missile whose main function and desire is to take out the opposing team's command & control centers, i.e., anyone near the ball, and then run just as fast to the other end of the court. I see a future ad starring Aubrey as the new "Energizer Bunny." Although, I don't think I've ever seen the "old bunny" run that fast or as often in the commercials.:D

JBK

Reaction Score
Great comments
She can be the difference maker inn the tournament. I hope Gino has her guard the opposing teams point guard. I would have a short leach on Christyn and Anna and get Aubrey in the game before Q2

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Sign me up for the Aubrey Fan Club. One of the things I love is when she is greeted by the rest of the team for a time out, she has the most incredible, sweet innocent smile that belies her total killer performance.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just think, at the beginning of the year, some were saying she would not help the team this season and why in the world Geno, not Gino, have a short leash on Anna. That is the same kind of comment made about Griffin not long ago. Impatience, impatience, impatience.

Reaction Score
Her lateral quickness is off the charts - watch how wide her slide steps are. A superior on-ball defender with a supernaturally high basketball IQ. Most always fights over screens by anticipating and beating the ball to the screen. Nose for the ball, she'll leave her man to either help, or position for rebounds without (for the most part) compromising a possession. Astonishing how many times she'll get her hands on ball - block, steal, tipped pass, rebound, etc... during a defensive possession.

Wonder if she played back to the basket in high school? Either way, she can actually shoot from outside (hit the 3 in the McDonald's comp last year lol). Typical freshman just needs more offensive audacity, which will come, surely.

Has a kind of herky-jerky athleticism that reminds of Michael Jordan (reminds ok?) - of whom I saw up close, in person far too much during the cataclysmic Knicks-Ewing years.

This player is an absolute joy to watch!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Take a look at Aubrey's year so far, and you see some remarkable stats. Aubrey has now rung up more free throw attempts (92) than any other player on the team. That's 16 more than the team's starting center, ONO. And she's done it while playing barely half the minutes of the starters. She was a bad free throw shooter most of the season. But she's broken through. While her total FT% is just 61%, she's made 16 of 22 free throws over the past four games.

She's now 2nd in steals, one ahead of Megan, while playing half the minutes. Her FG% (52%) is second among the top players, trailing only ONO (Irwin's is slightly higher, but she's been relegated to sub for some time now). She's second in blocks with 17, again ahead of Megan Walker's 15, though racked up in just half the minutes played.

Post edit - Aubrey made the AAC ALL Tournament Team!!! :D

I’m with you on your observations. We’re seeing “snippets“ now of what we’re going to be seeing all of next year and beyond. Remember, she’s nowhere near where she’ll be in November or better yet, January 1st. She’ll know what she’s doing by then, and have a working knowledge of the system. The game will have slowed down for her. Teammates will no longer have to tell her where she’s supposed to be. She's still a freshman. She's a whole lot better and more familiar with her new teammates, coaches and the system than she was 5 months ago. She's getting there.

By the time she's a junior, 20 year old Aubrey could very well be one of the prominent faces of WCBB in the near future, as Brooke Weisbrod (the color analyst for yesterday's TV broadcast) suggested. She really likes Aubrey. She played and knows the game, and thinks she will be one of the faces of WCBB in the near future. Brooke stays close to the game, so who knows.

If you’ve noticed lately, Geno is subbing her in first off the bench earlier and longer. She’s become a spark plug, and makes plays as soon as she hits the floor. No one else on the bench can do what she can. With Irwin done for the year, she’ll play even more minutes now.

Get well soon Kyla. You’ve got a legion of fans and well wishers behind you, wishing you all the best. Hope to see you back on the bench as your condition permits during the tournament, supporting and cheering your team to victory. You will be missed, but you will remain in our hearts and prayers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She is very quick. And has really quick hands too.

The marvelous part about Aubrey is that she was ranked #21 by ESPN among the class of 2019. She's an amazing talent who is coming into her own. But just wonder whether this isn't one of the most talented WCBB classes ever. Most of those ranked above her have been spectacular.

In any event, she's now a major factor for UConn going into the tournament.

Reaction Score

Love “the rocket that is just now showing up on the radar screen” comment. I was focusing on her defense during much of yesterday’s game - she’s just relentless! And quickness... wow. On one play we took a 3 point shoot (I think it was Anna) and she was nearby, also past the 3 point line. I saw her out of the corner of my eye, get to the rim just as the ball missed, and grab the rebound. Yes, energizer bunny fits!

Reaction Score
I was at the Seton Hall game earlier this year. She was unreal. She is very special or "gifted" as Geno put it and we are only seeing the beginning for her. Her instincts both on offense and defense are remarkable.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When Gabulous was with UCONN, I often found my eyes locked on to her every move....Aubrey has begun to have the same effect on me....! :D:D
Me too. Also, remember, Gabby said she was lost on the court on offense her freshman year. She did not get it until her sophomore season. Griffin will show a lot more of her skills next season, I believe. oldude has been telling the board that Griffin has an outside shot, which I saw last season. She'll bring that with her also.

Reaction Score
Hopefully she can help control Sabrina if we see them in the Regional final. I think she has the ability to do that and if she can, it might just make the difference. Of course, the problem with Oregon is that they are really a three-headed snake. I think if we can control two of the three we will have a very good shot at winning that game. Actually, I suppose Geno might not even put her on Sabrina?

Reaction Score
Me too. Also, remember, Gabby said she was lost on the court on offense her freshman year. She did not get it until her sophomore season. Griffin will show a lot more of her skills next season, I believe. oldude has been telling the board that Griffin has an outside shot, which I saw last season. She'll bring that with her also.
I was thrilled to see her take and make a midrange shot yesterday. No news here, but she's a game changer, a real catalyst!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Her lateral quickness is off the charts - watch how wide her slide steps are. A superior on-ball defender with a supernaturally high basketball IQ. Most always fights over screens by anticipating and beating the ball to the screen. Nose for the ball, she'll leave her man to either help, or position for rebounds without (for the most part) compromising a possession. Astonishing how many times she'll get her hands on ball - block, steal, tipped pass, rebound, etc... during a defensive possession.

Wonder if she played back to the basket in high school? Either way, she can actually shoot from outside (hit the 3 in the McDonald's comp last year lol). Typical freshman just needs more offensive audacity, which will come, surely.

Has a kind of herky-jerky athleticism that reminds of Michael Jordan (reminds ok?) - of whom I saw up close, in person far too much during the cataclysmic Knicks-Ewing years.

This player is an absolute joy to watch!
Made me smile you mentioning Michael Jordan in your post. Watching Aubrey last night approaching an offensive player with the ball I saw in my head Michael Jordan the way he would approach an opponent.

As much as I have enjoyed watching Aubrey develop this year. I am having great anticipation for her next year.

Reaction Score
Made me smile you mentioning Michael Jordan in your post. Watching Aubrey last night approaching an offensive player with the ball I saw in my head Michael Jordan the way he would approach an opponent.

As much as I have enjoyed watching Aubrey develop this year. I am having great anticipation for her next year.

Just thinking the same thing. If she combines her athleticism and speed with a certain incoming point guard, spontaneous combustion?

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I vote Rocket...Have not had one in Connecticut since...”Rocket Rod” Foster St. Thomas Aquinas New Britain. Went to UCLA... Quickest Player Ever before Allen Iverson came to be...

Reaction Score
I vote Rocket...Have not had one in Connecticut since...”Rocket Rod” Foster St. Thomas Aquinas New Britain. Went to UCLA... Quickest Player Ever before Allen Iverson came to be...
I never saw Rocket Rod, but I would have to say that MoJeff was as fast as Aubrey AND had the control to go with it. Let's just see if Aubrey matures to that level in her coming years. ;)

Reaction Score
"She is a rocket that is just now showing up on the radar screens!"

To me, Aubrey is a heat seeking missile whose main function and desire is to take out the opposing team's command & control centers, i.e., anyone near the ball, and then run just as fast to the other end of the court. I see a future ad starring Aubrey as the new "Energizer Bunny." Although, I don't think I've ever seen the "old bunny" run that fast or as often in the commercials.:D

Aubrey has the potential to become a great Uconn player. By the time she graduates she will make All American and her number will be hanging on the walls..... I will predict right now that Paige and Aubrey will be the face of Uconn for the next 3-4 years.

I will also step out on a limb here and say that our 2 freshman Aubrey And Anna just might be our two best players going into the tourney....

Personally, I have been screaming for Aubrey to start from the beginning. Freshman or no freshman. Defense wins ball games always.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom