Athletic Has UConn preseason #2 in Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Athletic Has UConn preseason #2 in Big East

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If Jackson were to start could he be the point that hurley mentioned last year will be his pro position? for it to work i would think it would have to be something like this
Jackson
Cole
Martin
Akok
Sanogo
To answer my own question though I can’t see Whaley not in the starting lineup so this would have to be a sub lineup.
the Whaley/sanogo combination is just not optimal for spacing but can’t see hurley not starting either of those two.
Please God no don’t try to force Andre to play the point. Just let him be a playmaking forward. He’s too talented not to become a great scorer who can pass instead of the opposite. We don’t need to do Giannas experiments.

Reaction Score
I think Martin is getting slept on. He had quite the regression to the mean over the last third of the season (1-17 over our final 8 games vs 15-33 our first 14 games from 3) and much better statistics without Bouknight vs with Bouk.

With (14 games): 39% from 2 (44-113), 21% from 3 (6-29)
Without (8 games): 51% from 2 (41-80), 44% from 3 (10-23)

I don't think Martin plays well with ball dominant players and I expect next year's offense to be a balanced attack.

Reaction Score
My personal ideal lineup would be Gaffney, Hawkins, AJ, Whaley, and Sanogo. Get the most athleticism and shooting on the floor and have the steady vets coming off the bench. Cole played really well in his short stint coming off the bench last year. Really hope AJ can make the jump because he can be a special, special player if he does. A walking highlight reel.
We simply can't play Jackson at the 3 in a lineup with a traditional 4.

That would be like the awful Roscoe Smith/Oriakhi/Drummond lineups that were ridiculously easy to defend.

If Jackson is going to play the 3, it has to be with someone like Polley, or maybe Martin or Akok at the 4. Only with Whaley if Whaley made himself a credible outside shooter.

Reaction Score

That would be like the awful Roscoe Smith/Oriakhi/Drummond lineups that were ridiculously easy to defend.

If Jackson is going to play the 3, it has to be with someone like Polley, or maybe Martin or Akok at the 4. Only with Whaley if Whaley made himself a credible outside shooter.

100%. He has to learn to shoot. You just can't get him to the 25 mins a game he should get without a 3 point shot. He makes it too hard to play other talented players that way.

This is the reason why I'm ambivalent about recruiting anyone under 6'9 who can't shoot. Ty Rodgers is a talented kid. But we can't be rolling out 6'6 SFs all game without a 3 ball. It makes it so hard to get to the rim when guys pack the paint.

Reaction Score
i think we'll be fighting it out for 2nd with them
I agree. I can't see Seton Hall finishing any lower than fourth.

My tiers:

#1: Nova
#2-#5: Xavier, UConn, Seton Hall, Georgetown
#6-#8: Marquette, Creighton, Butler
#9-#10: Providence, St. John's
#11: DePaul

Yes, Butler has a lot of players returning, but this was a 10-15 team last year. I believe in Chuck Harris but with his awful outside shooting, I see Aaron Thompson as a net negative player and personally, if I were a Butler fan, I'd be happier if he didn't return for a fifth year to allow a starting five of Tate, Harris, Bolden, Nze and Golden.

I predict teams #1-#4 make the tournament.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I definitely agree if Jackson can’t make the jump. My hope is that the work he’s putting in can pay off. He has all the tools to be an all conference player this year and it seems like Hurley is trusting him to do so. He doesn’t need to be a knockdown shooter, just be a consistent scorer and we’ll be good. He made so many almost “wow” plays last year that if he can put it together to make easy plays his game can take off from there.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

This. We have a ton of talent, but I’m not sure how well all the pieces fit.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I agree. I can't see Seton Hall finishing any lower than fourth.

My tiers:

#1: Nova
#2-#5: Xavier, UConn, Seton Hall, Georgetown
#6-#8: Marquette, Creighton, Butler
#9-#10: Providence, St. John's
#11: DePaul

Yes, Butler has a lot of players returning, but this was a 10-15 team last year. I believe in Chuck Harris but with his awful outside shooting, I see Aaron Thompson as a net negative player and personally, if I were a Butler fan, I'd be happier if he didn't return for a fifth year to allow a starting five of Tate, Harris, Bolden, Nze and Golden.

I predict teams #1-#5 make the tournament.
Georgetown?

Reaction Score
Please God no don’t try to force Andre to play the point. Just let him be a playmaking forward. He’s too talented not to become a great scorer who can pass instead of the opposite. We don’t need to do Giannas experiments.
I’m just basing that comment off of what hurley had said. He said he will be an nba point guard. I’m assuming that means he will give him a point guard duties here, wouldn’t you think?

Reaction Score
I don’t think we know who starts game 1. I don’t think the same lineup starts consistently in the fall. Cole and Sanogo are the two locks. Aside from that, Gaffney, Jackson, Martin, Whaley and Akok all have a chance to join them. Maybe Hawkins. I can see Whaley not starting if Akok comes back strong and is shooting well. Whaley would still get minutes as the backup 5 and 4.
I can’t see him not starting Whaley, if he didn’t start it would give coach options for a lot of versatility. We will see

Reaction Score
Are you asking do I think they make the tournament?

If so, yeah, that might be a stretch :).

However, I like Dante Harris, excited for Aminu Mohammed and think Tre King and Kaiden Rice are a heck of a transfer haul.

Good points. Lots of uncertainty still surrounding many of these rosters, but at this point I'd swap Georgetown and Butler. I'm putting a premium on stable rosters with upperclassmen.

The Big East really needs to get five (5) teams in the tournament--like it used to.

Tourney qualifiers:
Nova, UConn, Xavier, Seton Hall, Butler.

NIT possibly: St. John's, Georgetown, Providence/Marquette

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think we know who starts game 1. I don’t think the same lineup starts consistently in the fall. Cole and Sanogo are the two locks. Aside from that, Gaffney, Jackson, Martin, Whaley and Akok all have a chance to join them. Maybe Hawkins. I can see Whaley not starting if Akok comes back strong and is shooting well. Whaley would still get minutes as the backup 5 and 4.
Considering the jump the jumping bean (and DPOY) has made in improving his jumper every year, I think Isaiah Whaley is in for a rather large season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is one of the reasons I think Akok can seize the starting 4 spot. I do think Jackson will improve his outside shooting, so it’s way too soon to assume he will be what he was last year. I love what Whaley brings us, but he’s limited.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m just basing that comment off of what hurley had said. He said he will be an nba point guard. I’m assuming that means he will give him a point guard duties here, wouldn’t you think?
Did he? I hope it doesn’t tbh. We have enough PGs as is. Don’t know many guys who made that successful transition either. He’s a project PG but he can be a top 5 pick if he can just put the ball in the basket as a swing man. He’ll need to make a Kemba kind of leap but with his work ethic I’m hoping it’s possible. I would like him to be the offense with his talent.

Reaction Score
If Gaff hasn’t improved his consistency and his defense I’m not sure how so many see he and Cole starting out. I actually found it somewhat painful when they played too much together especially when Bouk was injured. I did see 3-4 games from Gaff that makes me believe he’s got s shot let’s hope he finds those more consistently. Cole was the better of the 2 on both ends and expect him to be almost penciled in but hoping others and Gaff improve and mature.

Reaction Score
If Gaff hasn’t improved his consistency and his defense I’m not sure how so many see he and Cole starting out. I actually found it somewhat painful when they played too much together especially when Bouk was injured. I did see 3-4 games from Gaff that makes me believe he’s got s shot let’s hope he finds those more consistently. Cole was the better of the 2 on both ends and expect him to be almost penciled in but hoping others and Gaff improve and mature.
Gaff more than any other player on this roster has the highest level of volatility in his potential role.

When all is said and done, he can end up anywhere between being the starting 2 guard to being lost out of the rotation completely.

The opportunity is there. It’s his if he earns it.

Reaction Score
Gaff should be in the gym with AJ putting up as many shots.. He brings value to the table with a reliable outside shot.. His D won't keep him on the floor if it's the same version as last year.

Reaction Score
Cole is our surefire 3 point shot maker. Gaffney can make them we’ve seen. A bigger question is can we stop other teams from making them?

Reaction Score
Cole is our surefire 3 point shot maker. Gaffney can make them we’ve seen. A bigger question is can we stop other teams from making them?

I'm not as worried about stopping them from making the 3 more so getting taken off the dribble. Good news is a healthy Akok would allow some less than stellar man defense (add Whaley, Sanogo and maybe Johnson) but these guys need to be better denying the first step, especially Gaff.

Reaction Score

3pt% defense rank from Torvik...

2021: #90
2020: #163
2019: #117

at URI
2018: #67
2017: #5
2016: #96
2015: #2
2014: #2
2013: #191

Something this doesn't account for is volume of 3 pt shots taken. I'm not sure if anywhere has % and # taken adjusted anywhere? @UConnStats ??

Defending the 3 and erasing 2 pt shots at the rim are obviously the most important aspects of defense

But it's interesting that Hurley's teams were WAY better at defending the 3 at URI. I would imagine that has a little bit to do with the level of competition (and the fact that the NBE has some ridiculously good 3 point shooting teams), but this is also what Hurley keeps talking about... our team is still developing a culture and learning how to play his kind of defense.

From what I've seen... just an eye test... Hurley isn't going to be the kind of coach that totally sells out on stopping the 3 wholly, at least at UConn. Not in the way he obviously was at URI. We're not chasing everyone under the sun off the line. It seems like the guys are supposed to have a lot of film work done pre-game so they can prioritize shooters. It takes a pretty high BBIQ to be able to play our defense IMO. Guys need to know their matchups and switches, and especially the 3/4 is tasked with being really aggressive in the help when we're blitzing screens on the top. Not easy to pull off.

It makes sense... having a super aggressive defense was a way for URI to mix it up vs better teams outside of the A10. We have the talent to balance our defense a bit more.

Reaction Score
Conference is not particularly good, is it? I mean if Villanova didn't have its fifth year seniors returning there'd be no top 15 teams. Yikes

Reaction Score
Conference is not particularly good, is it? I mean if Villanova didn't have its fifth year seniors returning there'd be no top 15 teams. Yikes
Conference has really good recruiting coming in this year, but the 2 previous years were kinda mediocre.

Reaction Score
Conference has really good recruiting coming in this year, but the 2 previous years were kinda mediocre.

Yeah, I was just looking the other day. Barring an exodus of transferss, I think 2023 might be the year that the NBE could have 5+ teams playing in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom