Assistant Coach Search | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Assistant Coach Search

Reaction Score
Definitely some studs in FF County but there's still a weird stigma in the wealthier towns in going to UConn. My friends who live there say it's viewed as a safety school and if your kid is a lower-level FBS talent and pretty good academically they just go for the Ivies. The high-level FBS kids always go for P5 schools. You can't fault either of these decisions. Marinelli could hopefully help that issue
I agree, but some of the higher level fbs kids go sit the bench at a p5 school when they can just stay home get a great education and make an impact for their state U in front of friends and faMiley.

Reaction Score
Marcus Easley another UConn guy. Then there's Lucas Niang who is starting in the NFL right now. Mark Harrison who played at Rutgers. Michael Collins started some games for TCU and was lighting it up at Rice before he got hurt.

Idk if we count Casey since they moved to Monroe for football but let's throw him in there for good measure.
Niang was always the biggest guy on the field no matter who New Canaan played. Which reminds me about another New Canaan great, Kurt Horton, who set almost every passing and touchdown state record in the late 60’s - early 70’s, which stood for 40 years. His records only started falling in the early 2000’s with the advent of the spread offense. Played his college ball at Notre Dame and BC.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Terry Bradden Jr. could be absolutely nothing but Benedict is following him on twitter and he’s following Benedict, Mora and Spanos. Looks to be plugged in in FL. Very young.
~30ish, Chiefs Assistant DL coach working with DC Steve Spagnuolo (ex-UConn DC/DB coach late 80s-9X; Giants, Rams, etc), DL coach Brendan Daly, and ST coordinator Dave Toub; ex-college QB (Howard and Tuskegee), ex-FAU special teams and O quality control assistant, ex-Bethune Cookman QB assistant; high school coach and AD at just 24; Riviera Beach (Palm Beach area) native

"Chase your dream as much as you can, but hard work must be there." - Terry Bradden Jr

Reaction Score
The posting means hirings have been made. Will be fun to watch things come together. I am sure Mora’s staff was in place even before the HC announcement. AD Dave watched Mora bring the staff together while in Idaho.

Reaction Score
On UConn's HR site, (EDIT EDIT EDIT) a few gridiron positions apparently posted ... yet some vocal Boneyard coaching legends can still subscribe to receive job listings as they evolve

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The posting means hirings have been made. Will be fun to watch things come together. I am sure Mora’s staff was in place even before the HC announcement. AD Dave watched Mora bring the staff together while in Idaho.
I don’t think the whole staff is in place. The job posting covers all of the positions and normally the posted coaching job openings are specific to one spot. With this posting, he will be free to start announcing hires in a week.

Reaction Score
~30ish, Chiefs Assistant DL coach working with DC Steve Spagnuolo (ex-UConn DC/DB coach late 80s-9X; Giants, Rams, etc), DL coach Brendan Daly, and ST coordinator Dave Toub; ex-college QB (Howard and Tuskegee), ex-FAU special teams and O quality control assistant, ex-Bethune Cookman QB assistant; high school coach and AD at just 24; Riviera Beach (Palm Beach area) native

"Chase your dream as much as you can, but hard work must be there." - Terry Bradden Jr
I wouldn't be mad at him coming aboard... I saw this (Twitter follows)...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
24 Canadians since 2002. One of our most productive recruiting ponds. Lots of great productive careers; no stars

Shawn Mayne
Jason Ward
Dan Desriveaux
O'Neill Wilson
Hakeen Kashama
Martin Bedard
John Delahunt
Moe Petrus
Jesse Joseph
Alex Mateas
Trey Rutherford
Sheridan Lawley
Phillipe Okounam
Hergy Mayala
Michael Tarbutt
Terrance Ganyi
Lwal Uguak
Jack Zergiotis
Russell Dixon
Kevens Clercius
Jonathan Senecal
Carter Hooper
Christopher Fortin
Malcolm Bell
This was your “I’ll show them, definitive proof we should recruit Canada!” list? Hahahaha

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious if the job posting is for one job or if it could qualify as a posting for multiple hires.

It appears vague enough that it could fit the bill for any of a few position coaching jobs or for a coordinator.

Reaction Score
I'm curious if the job posting is for one job or if it could qualify as a posting for multiple hires.

It appears vague enough that it could fit the bill for any of a few position coaching jobs or for a coordinator.
JOB SUMMARY
The University of Connecticut is accepting applications and nominations for multiple full-time Assistant Football Coach positions.

Reaction Score
Why not Texas too, we did pretty well there in this year's recruiting class and obviously it is a talent rich state?
It’s about focusing resources at this point on geographic regions that are a short car ride or plane trip, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
That's interesting... depending on the offense they are running, Stafford might be an interesting fit as a QB (or other positional) coach, given his Arena background (and experience as an Arena OC). He's smart enough to know that he needs to start at the positional ranks vs. coordinator as well.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
What should have the optimists (I am one) most encouraged is his track record for finding quality assistants.

His first offensive line coach (Adrien Klemm first five years) is now offensive line coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Klemm's replacement, Hank Fraley is now offensive line coach with the Detroit Lions.
His first defensive coordinator, Lou Spanos left for an LB coach position with the Tennessee Titans (we all know Spanos)
Spanos' replacement, Jeff Ulbrich was on JM's initial staff as a LB coach is now defensive coordinator with the New York Jets.
Ulbrich's replacement, Tom Bradley (I will be surprised if he doesn't end up here) went on to coach DB's with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
His running backs coach, Kennedy Palomalu is now running backs coach for the Minnesota Vikings.
His WR coach, Eric Yarber is now WR coach for the Los Angeles Rams.
His TE coach, Rip Scherer is now TE coach for the Los Angeles Chargers.

One of the aspects that RE 1.0 excelled at (but couldn't replicate in v2.0) was finding quality assistants. As good as many of his assistants were, one ended up at similar jobs for NFL teams. We can make jokes or pass on some snide, sarcastic comments (I often do this by nature) but even if it is the Lions or Jets, it is still an NFL job.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Why not Texas too, we did pretty well there in this year's recruiting class and obviously it is a talent rich state?
If we have someone on the staff who has recruited Texas in the past, Texas makes too much sense to ignore. The "don't waste time with Texas" argument could have been applied to Florida when RE first took over if he didn't add Richardson to the staff then.

There was an old Sam Adams commercial that said (speaking of Bud and Coors) was "they spill more than we make". There are a number of states that "spill more than we make" when it comes to college football prospects. New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Texas all qualify (Maryland and Georgia also produce a lot more than we do but not to the level of the six mentioned). RE 1.0 hit NJ, PA and FL well from the start and during the last few years of his first run added Va and dipped his toes in Oh and Tx.

It shouldn't be unreasonable to believe that a quality recruiting staff can do a little better than we had at our best in NJ, Pa, Va & Fl and recruit Tx and Oh considerably better than we ever had in the past.

Reaction Score
Job openings still scheduled to close Sunday. This is going to be strange considering we are still in-season for all teams. If a hire is currently on staff somewhere, do they just up and leave? This is why Mazzone seems to make even more sense beyond the connection - he’s currently unemployed and can jump right in. I just looked at Texas Tech and it looks like they are still looking for OC and DC also.

Strange times. You want a good candidate, good candidates are likely employed and working, but you want your hire to be able to effectively recruit for you before signing day.

Reaction Score
Job openings still scheduled to close Sunday. This is going to be strange considering we are still in-season for all teams. If a hire is currently on staff somewhere, do they just up and leave? This is why Mazzone seems to make even more sense beyond the connection - he’s currently unemployed and can jump right in. I just looked at Texas Tech and it looks like they are still looking for OC and DC also.

Strange times. You want a good candidate, good candidates are likely employed and working, but you want your hire to be able to effectively recruit for you before signing day.
I think this isn't that uncommon. Jobs open up every year.

Reaction Score

I think the assistant coaching jobs were posted so that Mora can hire a coach anytime starting Sunday. I think they have learned that you can't find the coach, then post the job, and then wait a week to hire them especially with the early signing period starting in mid December.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom