Assistant coach job posting | The Boneyard

Assistant coach job posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Hopefully this means one of the current assistants is "moving on up"...
The three assistants from last year are still on the Coaches roster as of today, so...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Addition or change of staff?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA enacted rules allowing for additional assistant coaches for men's and women's basketball. I'm guessing this is about hiring an addition to the current staff. From the report on changes made by the NCAA's Division I council:

The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus.

Here is the posting. It closes July 5th so the person to fill the position is known.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, let the speculation begin . . . Tonya coming back?

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

• Bachelor’s degree.
  • Ten or more years of head coaching experience in a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program.
  • Coaching experience in multiple NCAA Division I national championship games.
  • Working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations.
  • Strong commitment to the academic goals of the University.
  • Excellent organizational, teaching, communication, and public relations skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

• Collegiate basketball national champion coach.
  • Possesses coaching and student-athlete development philosophies consistent with that of the Division of Athletics and its women’s basketball program.

Reaction Score
The job post talks about recruitment. It's my understanding that the additional assistants cannot recruit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carla?
She would never leave Princeton for this and she also doesn't meet the minimum qualifications.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Yikes! Geno's prior posting for Morgan was pretty much her resume edited into a job posting... pretty transparent. I assume this is the same type of thing, so now we have to figure out who's specific tab fits into that specific slot.
Thinking Hard GIF by Swisscom

Reaction Score

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

• Bachelor’s degree.
  • Ten or more years of head coaching experience in a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program.
  • Excellent organizational, teaching, communication, and public relations skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

• Possesses coaching and student-athlete development philosophies consistent with that of the Division of Athletics and its women’s basketball program.
Sounds like it was custom written for Cardoza. She'd be a great addition.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds like it was custom written for Cardoza. She'd be a great addition.
It does. A few things at play here. Geno is incredibly loyal. Tonya is a wonderful human being. The guards she coached while a UConn assistant loved her.

I would like the staff to get younger but the reality is that will happen when Geno retires. He's putting the old rock band back together but not giving it a name.

Reaction Score
The job post talks about recruitment. It's my understanding that the additional assistants cannot recruit.
They can recruit on campus and make calls etc. to recruits. The restriction is that they cannot recruit off campus. It's the same position that Katie Lou and Kyla Irwin are filling at Vandy.

Reaction Score
It does. A few things at play here. Geno is incredibly loyal. Tonya is a wonderful human being. The guards she coached while a UConn assistant loved her.

I would like the staff to get younger but the reality is that will happen when Geno retires. He's putting the old rock band back together but not giving it a name.
I agree. Cardoza is a superior talent evaluator. And it would reunite two all-time great friends in TC and Jamelle Elliott.

Reaction Score
What takes place at summer AAU events and camps isn't really recruiting since the coaches can have no contact with players. It's more talent evaluation and head coaches being "seen" at the events. Unofficial campus visits, home visits, official visits, and social media/phone calls is where the real recruiting is done. This assistant can be involved in 3 of the 4. And Cardoza is a TOP talent evaluator.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA enacted rules allowing for additional assistant coaches for men's and women's basketball. I'm guessing this is about hiring an addition to the current staff. From the report on changes made by the NCAA's Division I council:

The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus.
Oops, I was unaware of this rule change.

Reaction Score

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

• Bachelor’s degree.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

I hate this practice which is also commonly used in the corporate world even if I have been on the receiving end of it. Why pretends to go through EEO rules when you want a specific person and write the resume where only that person qualifies?

Reaction Score
Hmmmm….

With some research, the speculation seems sound:
Tonya Cardoza 14 years as assistant coach at UCONN 1994 - 2008
Temple Owls HC 2008 - 2022 (Tonya replaced Dawn Stanley as H.C.)
NCAA Division I Final Four, 1991 with U of Virginia (Teammate of Dawn S.)
in the Wikipedia article, Jamelle Elliot described Tonya as " My best friend".
Seems like a good match with the job description!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom