Asia Durr talks recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Asia Durr talks recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe someone will tell us what will wake Russell up this coming fall. This was a thread about Asia Durr. Going back there: I do not think Asia Durr will chose UConn because she has far too much competition in her slot/s.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sure they're driven -- like sheep off a cliff.

This line peddled by recruiters "You can make your own legacy by helping Punxsutawny Tech win their first National Championship" is pretty much a con job. Even Skylar Diggins didn't reach her goal at Notre Dame.
But she certainly made her own legacy at Notre Dame! And she changed the profile of ND women's basketball. Before Skylar, they were a marginal Top 25, sometimes Sweet 16 program. Post-Skylar, they are a solid Top 5 team, an NC contender, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. She and her teammates made the program credible for other recruits, gave them national TV exposure, and advertised Muffitt's coaching ability.

Quite a legacy, in my view.

And by the way, as has been pointed out before, players like Lobo / Eliot / Sales / Rizzotti bought some variant of the "Punxatawny" sales pitch, and were rewarded for it -- probably a lot more than if they had merely been a contributor to another NC by Stanford or North Carolina.

The question is: who is the "young Geno" out there now? Walz? Mulkey?? I don't see anyone under age 45 who seems to have a similar gift.

Reaction Score
But she certainly made her own legacy at Notre Dame! And she changed the profile of ND women's basketball. Before Skylar, they were a marginal Top 25, sometimes Sweet 16 program. Post-Skylar, they are a solid Top 5 team, an NC contender, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. She and her teammates made the program credible for other recruits, gave them national TV exposure, and advertised Muffitt's coaching ability.
This was not due to Skylar, in my opinion. How many recruits went to ND because of Skylar? It's more of a matter that ND recruiting took the next step, not because Skylar's arrival, but because of a certain assistant coach. Skylar was good, but she also had a bunch of other good players around her during most of her tenure (Novosel, Mallory, Bruczewski, Peters, etc.). All it takes is for a program to have a few years of proven success, and with the right recruiter/coach comes another batch of great recruits and the success feeds upon itself as long as the coaches aren't incompetent.

Reaction Score
JOE: very interesting post. In response to your final question: I AM that person. Good EVE - ning.

Reaction Score
you guys are a little harsh on Russell. i remember reading some of the same nonsense about Harrison and Glory Johnson when they were underclassman. Russell will be a VERY good player. her skill set is far more advanced than Glory or Harrison as freshman. just wait and watch....and remember the criticism........;)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
She had some nice things to say about Rutgers as well. Fingers crossed. CVS has had some luck with getting recruits in the South as of lately. Scaife, Hollivay, Butts, etc.:p

Although what we really need in the 15' class is bigs, but I wouldn't say no to Durr. :D
The school that land her- their "bigs" just grew by about 3-4 inches on offense- the way she can penetrate and dish on off! We could bring back Barb Turner and Wilnet C and win with Durr I think!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You wanna really worry about UConn. Think about this. If UConn lands 2 or 3 of these players Samuleson Durr and DeShields. Pretty Awesome.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

Quite a legacy, in my view.

And by the way, as has been pointed out before, players like Lobo / Eliot / Sales / Rizzotti bought some variant of the "Punxatawny" sales pitch, and were rewarded for it -- probably a lot more than if they had merely been a contributor to another NC by Stanford or North Carolina.

The question is: who is the "young Geno" out there now? Walz? Mulkey?? I don't see anyone under age 45 who seems to have a similar gift.
Walz for sure , boosted by the Yum Center and the phenom success of Men's program. Mathew Mitchell could still be in the running, and the coach that just went to Ohio State maybe?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
You wanna really worry about UConn. Think about this. If UConn lands 2 or 3 of these players Samuleson Durr and DeShields. Pretty Awesome.
Out of those 3 Superstars- Durr would be my first pick!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
This was not due to Skylar, in my opinion. How many recruits went to ND because of Skylar? It's more of a matter that ND recruiting took the next step, not because Skylar's arrival, but because of a certain assistant coach. Skylar was good, but she also had a bunch of other good players around her during most of her tenure (Novosel, Mallory, Bruczewski, Peters, etc.). All it takes is for a program to have a few years of proven success, and with the right recruiter/coach comes another batch of great recruits and the success feeds upon itself as long as the coaches aren't incompetent.
Hoops... All your other comments are right on- but she came in and as Reggie Jackson said, (who I despised as a Yankee fan)- Skylar stirred the drink or coffee? It was so obvious- rarely are teams talented enough without a great point guard. And they had great talent, toughness and depth.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I gather Durr is top notch. But if I'm in her shoes, there will be a few things to think about at UConn. MoJeff will still be here. How good is Kia Nurse? If she is also top notch, there are some things for Durr to consider about the PG playing time. Not to mention that there are three other guards coming in next year that all seem to have great credentials. Next year with the 3 juniors (counting Tuck in the group) plus KML plus Stokes and however Banks and Chong contribute - both have had some very strong games - and whatever the newbies contribute, UConn will be tough to beat even with SD and BH gone. The year after, we'll still be strong even if no big kids sign on, but it's hard to say what missing a skilled tall player to complement Stewie will mean. A player like Durr might not mean as much to the team as another skilled post player. Of course, nobody knows what injuries might pop up. UConn is loaded with talent enough to continue thrashing almost every other team for at least the next two years. But like it or not, UConn doesn't win it all every year, even in some years without key injuries. It takes a team with a load of talent and, usually half-way decent coaching. to beat UConn. If a few schools get a bunch of elite players, who knows whether or not GA is the whole difference. It seems as if it's really 3 years down the road that not getting the right pieces now will start to show up. Players like Durr and Samuelson might be short term overkill, but that would be a nice problem to have. In the meantime, having a new big around at least for next year seems a greater need if nothing else. Seems like Collier is a great forward. just get her a buddy in the middle.

Reaction Score
So the hundreds of other recruits each year who dont go to UCONN arent driven to get a National Championship ?
Yes they are, it is just less likely that they will win one.

9 AND COUNTING

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I gather Durr is top notch. But if I'm in her shoes, there will be a few things to think about at UConn. MoJeff will still be here. How good is Kia Nurse? If she is also top notch, there are some things for Durr to consider about the PG playing time. Not to mention that there are three other guards coming in next year that all seem to have great credentials. Next year with the 3 juniors (counting Tuck in the group) plus KML plus Stokes and however Banks and Chong contribute - both have had some very strong games - and whatever the newbies contribute, UConn will be tough to beat even with SD and BH gone. The year after, we'll still be strong even if no big kids sign on, but it's hard to say what missing a skilled tall player to complement Stewie will mean. A player like Durr might not mean as much to the team as another skilled post player. Of course, nobody knows what injuries might pop up. UConn is loaded with talent enough to continue thrashing almost every other team for at least the next two years. But like it or not, UConn doesn't win it all every year, even in some years without key injuries. It takes a team with a load of talent and, usually half-way decent coaching. to beat UConn. If a few schools get a bunch of elite players, who knows whether or not GA is the whole difference. It seems as if it's really 3 years down the road that not getting the right pieces now will start to show up. Players like Durr and Samuelson might be short term overkill, but that would be a nice problem to have. In the meantime, having a new big around at least for next year seems a greater need if nothing else. Seems like Collier is a great forward. just get her a buddy in the middle.
Gd points about Durr, and players in front of her. Mo Jeff being a sr, normally would not be a problem. Supposedly, she could have walked on to almost any team this year and started. Notre Dame beat us 7/8 times with posts and forwards like Peters/Bruschenski/Achonwa, and other subs that were all 6'2"-6'3"! Diggins was their difference. Athleticism and guards that can break you down change everything. Just look at our Men's most recent two championships. Odyssey carried 4 non starters almost to Four. Greats like Chiney , A Thomas, McBride/Lloyd, and even Maya couldn't win the NC her last two years, because of youth at key positions like pt guard, and a zero depth. It really is a guards game, because great ones lift everyone on the court and create open looks and easy buckets. Stewie's and Maya Moore's obviously draw so much attention that they do to, but they have to be prolific. I'll take the great guard first given the choice. Geno said it numerous times during the dark times vs ND. Their guard play was just better.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Skylar was soooo good Geno wanted her

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Diamond is contemplating UConn... or are we just getting under others skin?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Irrespective of the other criteria, I think Tenn comes up short on the coaching criteria. To me, Holly has not demonstrated that she is a worthy successor to Pat.

Reaction Score
Irrespective of the other criteria, I think Tenn comes up short on the coaching criteria. To me, Holly has not demonstrated that she is a worthy successor to Pat.

Mark my words now....Holly Warlick will be the 1st coach to beat Geno in a Championship game....call me crazy or a homer....but I seriously see it happening...I for one was frustrated with Holly at times but I've seen growth in Holly, she'll get there!

Reaction Score
O and I also see Durr coming to Tenn regardless of Cooper's decision....the way her eyes lit up when Tenn was mentioned gave me hope! :) lol

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Mark my words now....Holly Warlick will be the 1st coach to beat Geno in a Championship game....call me crazy or a homer....but I seriously see it happening...I for one was frustrated with Holly at times but I've seen growth in Holly, she'll get there!
OK! You're crazy or a homer!

upload_2014-5-1_6-35-12.jpeg

Reaction Score

Holly can have an all-american at every position and still lose to Geno!

Reaction Score
Skylar was soooo good Geno wanted her
I know, but we're talking about ND becoming one of the elite programs, and I'm not ready to give Skylar the credit for that. Before Skylar stepped foot on campus there was already a pretty good class in place. ND won more championships before Skylar than while she was there or after.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe someone messed up their user name. I think it was supposed to be "JustAnotherVolFan."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom