Asia Durr talks recruiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Asia Durr talks recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Usually the top recruits are looking at the top programs. They all seem to list the same schools: UConn, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA, Tennessee, Stanford, ND, Baylor, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Other than UConn, which of those programs would you say, based on past results, has the best chance to win at least one championship in a four year period? It's true the other programs do have a chance to win it, but if you were a betting man, which program would you put your chips on? Realistically, Geno is the only coach in America that can walk into a recruit's living room and all but guarantee a championship during a recruit's college career and has two hands full of rings to show he is serious. UConn's had, what, two classes in the last 20 years that didn't experience winning at least one championship? Compare that to Stanford which hasn't had a single class win a championship in the last 20 years.
Nor, from your list, has Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA, or ND.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Gd points about Durr, and players in front of her. Mo Jeff being a sr, normally would not be a problem. Supposedly, she could have walked on to almost any team this year and started. Notre Dame beat us 7/8 times with posts and forwards like Peters/Bruschenski/Achonwa, and other subs that were all 6'2"-6'3"! Diggins was their difference. Athleticism and guards that can break you down change everything. Just look at our Men's most recent two championships. Odyssey carried 4 non starters almost to Four. Greats like Chiney , A Thomas, McBride/Lloyd, and even Maya couldn't win the NC her last two years, because of youth at key positions like pt guard, and a zero depth. It really is a guards game, because great ones lift everyone on the court and create open looks and easy buckets. Stewie's and Maya Moore's obviously draw so much attention that they do to, but they have to be prolific. I'll take the great guard first given the choice. Geno said it numerous times during the dark times vs ND. Their guard play was just better.

I agree guards control the game, and a loaded team will beat most teams. But sooner or later a game pops up where you really need someone to get the ball to the guards and players like a Fowles surrounded by other good players can reduce the number of opportunities. Also one reason why the defense was so good this year was that scoring inside was tough against us and the guards didn't have to worry much about being beaten.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree guards control the game, and a loaded team will beat most teams. But sooner or later a game pops up where you really need someone to get the ball to the guards and players like a Fowles surrounded by other good players can reduce the number of opportunities. Also one reason why the defense was so good this year was that scoring inside was tough against us and the guards didn't have to worry much about being beaten.
Great point re the defense! Our help defense was smothering.

Reaction Score
you guys are a little harsh on Russell. i remember reading some of the same nonsense about Harrison and Glory Johnson when they were underclassman. Russell will be a VERY good player. her skill set is far more advanced than Glory or Harrison as freshman. just wait and watch....and remember the criticism...;)
I don't think we've been harsh on Russell based on her performance so far. Remember, this is a UConn board and our glasses don't see orange very well and we don't drink Tang. For a number 1 player, she has under performed. Everything else is conjecture.

When I see her play, I see a physically weak player that gets pushed around a lot by stronger players. Perhaps she can fix that in the weight room, but there's no guarantee. Some kids just have the physical makeup to get stronger, some can't improve much. No amount of forecasting here will provide the answer.

So far, I don't see a tremendous amount of skill either for a #1 player. Her height enables her to get some rebounds, but her main move is rebound and putback. Not that much skill involved. She may develop into a wonderful player, but only the future will decide that. She does seem to be a nice human being and that counts for a lot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I gather Durr is top notch.
That's putting it mildly.
But if I'm in her shoes, there will be a few things to think about at UConn. MoJeff will still be here. How good is Kia Nurse? If she is also top notch, there are some things for Durr to consider about the PG playing time. Not to mention that there are three other guards coming in next year that all seem to have great credentials.
Wherever Durr goes, she is not going to have to worry about playing time. The other guards at said school will be the ones worrying about playing time (save Jefferson as a Sr).

Durr is also a combo guard, probably more a 2/1 than a 1/2 anyway.

Durr, from what I've seen, has the potential (it's all potential at their age) to be on the Bird/Charles level. With the possibility of getting to the DT/Moore/Stewart level.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That's putting it mildly.

Wherever Durr goes, she is not going to have to worry about playing time. The other guards at said school will be the ones worrying about playing time (save Jefferson as a Sr).

Durr is also a combo guard, probably more a 2/1 than a 1/2 anyway.

Durr, from what I've seen, has the potential (it's all potential at their age) to be on the Bird/Charles level. With the possibility of getting to the DT/Moore/Stewart level.

Not denying any of that. I haven't seen any of these pre-college kids play. All I'm saying is that when Durr makes her choice, UConn might not look the best from her point of view given an abundance of guard talent. MoJeff is a known. Nurse, who as a kid started at pg for her national team can't be discounted sight unseen as a superior talent. The other 3 guards in the class all seem to be very highly regarded. We don't know, and neither does she, what kind of jump Chong might make given some pretty strong frosh performances. Maybe she comes in as the best of them all, but there may be other choices for her where "maybe" isn't even a question. If DeSheilds has UConn on her radar again and winds up here, that's another thing for here to think about. I wouldn't reject her, though from all accounts. ;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
you guys are a little harsh on Russell. i remember reading some of the same nonsense about Harrison and Glory Johnson when they were underclassman. Russell will be a VERY good player. her skill set is far more advanced than Glory or Harrison as freshman. just wait and watch....and remember the criticism...;)

As I recall, the TN folks were *extremely* harsh regarding Breanna Stewart and her struggles during the middle part of her first year. And then the NCAA Tournament happened...

Reaction Score
As I recall, the TN folks were *extremely* harsh regarding Breanna Stewart and her struggles during the middle part of her first year. And then the NCAA Tournament happened...
Yea thanks for proving my point

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

John c.gif

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No offense to Russell, but her numbers were far inferior to Dolson as a freshman, and it took Stef about 2 years to seriously commit to a strength/conditioning/diet program to transform herself to the great player we saw this past year. Elizabeth Williams was just terrific her freshman year.

Tina Charles averaged about 22 minutes per game as a freshman (a little higher than Russell) and managed 12.7 PPG. Kara Wolters only managed to average 15 MPG as a freshman, but scored over 11 PPG that first year. WCBB is riddled with post players who had really solid freshman seasons, and then continued to get even better. In Tina and Kara's cases, it led to NC's and NPOY honors. I don't doubt Russell will be a really solid player, but to call her a potential superstar seems a stretch. I understand you backed off saying if she's not improved by the time she's a junior, but even if she is improved, she's a very long way from a superstar.

Diamond Deshields? Superstar. Kaleena Lewis? Superstar. Brianna Stewart? Super star. Mercedes Russell? Not so much...
I think it is valid to look at roster when looking at Stef and Tina - they both were 'the' center on their freshman teams - Harrison was the center for TN and Russell has time to develop behind her. Add in better guard play, a better offensive system, and better coaching and development is likely to take longer. Not saying she will be great but lets give her some time.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Mark my words now....Holly Warlick will be the 1st coach to beat Geno in a Championship game....call me crazy or a homer....but I seriously see it happening...I for one was frustrated with Holly at times but I've seen growth in Holly, she'll get there!
How have all these All Americans underachieved as a team so badly. I think there is a group of coaches that would have gotten much more from their talent. She seams like a great person- but I'm not feeling it. I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Tennessee may already have that superstar in Mercedes Russell. I think Tennessee Fans are a little to quick to give up on players. Posts take a little longer to develop then guards. Give the kid a break she is only a freshman. If she has not improved by the time she is a junior then yes Tennessee Fans have a right to be concerned. She was ranked #1 coming out of high school.
I do not see Mercedes Russell ever being an elite center! She can't sprint downcourt she runs very strangely! She will be an Elizabeth Williams of Duke clone a good not great, never living up to their #1 potential! I think Kiah Stokes is going to surprise the WCBB world and have a breakout senior year! She just has to add a 12'-15' jump shot to her game to be an outstanding C! Her defense/rebounding already is top rate!

Reaction Score
I can see why Durr smiled when asked about Tenn..... She is thinking ... I just used my best answer, and now he's going to ask me about 4 more schools....nice...:D...think quick......:)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I do not see Mercedes Russell ever being an elite center! She can't sprint downcourt she runs very strangely! She will be an Elizabeth Williams of Duke clone a good not great, never living up to their #1 potential! I think Kiah Stokes is going to surprise the WCBB world and have a breakout senior year! She just has to add a 12'-15' jump shot to her game to be an outstanding C! Her defense/rebounding already is top rate!

You say that like being an Elizabeth Williams clone is a bad thing. I think almost every program would love to have such a thing.

This is not really aimed at you, but too many people criticize her for what they think she should be rather than appreciating her for how good she is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is seriously ONLY ONE! Any other school is a pipe dream to get what she wants. I'll say it again: There are two kinds of recruits, one that is driven to get a NC and the other that chooses somewhere other than UCONN!
A highly ranked girls soccer player was asked why she picked ND instead of going to the dynasty program UNC (21 national titles). She said that growing up as a soccer player, there's two kinds of soccer players, those that want to play for UNC, and those that want to beat UNC.

Reaction Score
A highly ranked girls soccer player was asked why she picked ND instead of going to the dynasty program UNC (21 national titles). She said that growing up as a soccer player, there's two kinds of soccer players, those that want to play for UNC, and those that want to beat UNC.
In that instance, more accurately, it would be those who want to play for UNC, and those that want to be beaten by UNC.

Reaction Score
You say that like being an Elizabeth Williams clone is a bad thing. I think almost every program would love to have such a thing.

This is not really aimed at you, but too many people criticize her for what they think she should be rather than appreciating her for how good she is.
Orangutan- - With all the hype both Williams and now Russell had coming out of HS they should be better than they play now! Williams was dominated by UCONN big girls the past 2 years and in other games she didn't show me much except some blocked shots! Her offense is way behind! Concerning Russell for some reason I get bad vibes when I watch her play!

Reaction Score
Give her time....Mercedes will be the best center in WCB by her Jr year! All the things she needs to improve on are very achievable...... (Strength, Conditioning)....there is really only one good thing that makes post players great and that's footwork. Every game I seen or attended MR footwork was qyite good to be a freshman. And you can't teach height...she'll be great once we have guards that can knock the 3 down. And I can't knock Khia for her defenses and rebounding but she'll have to work on her offensive skill set to have a breakout season as MOST here think she will have.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Williams didn't rate herself. The hype was externally created. If she had been ranked the #50 player coming out, the viewpoint on her would be totally different.

Reaction Score
Williams didn't rate herself. The hype was externally created. If she had been ranked the #50 player coming out, the viewpoint on her would be totally different.

I wouldn't put too much stock in recruiting rankings anyhow.....its so odd how unevenly ranked players are throughout different services. And that 2012 class with KML at the top wasn't that strong but EW deserved her #2 ranking...she just hasn't lived up to the potential of a #2 recruit. Just like Cierra Burdick....just from watching her play I would have never thought she was #3 :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown