As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network | Page 14 | The Boneyard

As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting. You posted probably 100X's defending UL's academics, essentially putting them on par w/tOSU, but academics are a downside for WVU... got it.

You need to clarify. I've said Louisville academics are bad. I just said they aren't much worse than anyone ranked past 50. Past 50 they all run together. If Rice University improved their athletics, Rice's academics pass the sniff test. The school is on the small side though. West Virginia's academics are not very good.

Reaction Score
Academics a downside? Have you met Louisville?

Fan behavior at West Virginia is perfectly fine - one of the most pleasant places that I've ever visited to see a football game. Zero problem - they could not have been nicer. They just like to burn a couch every now and again after a big win.

Worst place, hands down...North Carolina State. I've been there twice - it's so strange. (Maryland was bad, too.)

Fishy, I think it also depends on the visiting team. Speaking from experience, WVU is by far the worst place I have ever visited as a Pitt fan. Inside the game the fans are very roudy, but for the most part it makes for a good hostile environment that you would want from a close rival. But outside the stadium, the situation is very dangerous. You would never dare park your car on the street or even in most lots if you have Pitt stickers or a PA license plate without WVU stickers on it. So if you plan to attend the game, Pitt's athletic department suggests taking a group bus trip. Also, the fights and the beer bottle throwing creates a really dangerous situation outside the stadium. Many of these problems at WVU are multiplied when Pitt visits for a few reasons. First, Pitt is likely the closest rival for WVU and only 1 hour seperates the schools. Two, this was typically an important conference game for at least one of the teams. Three, the Pitt/WVU game was usually the played as a prime time game the day after thanksgiving. This allows drunk fools to drink wednesday evening and then all day on thursday and friday. By game time, many of the fans have been drunk for two straight days. Clearly, this does not promote a good situation for passionate fans outside the stadium.

As for Maryland and NC State, I have not felt the same hostility as many of you describe. Again, I think much of it has to do with the visiting team and time of the game. I'm sure UNC and Duke get a warm welcoming at NC State, much as Pitt does at WVU.

Reaction Score
Familiarity and proximity breed contempt......and makes for real good rivalries.I'm gonna miss the regionality of conference's due to greediness in the CR process. I know in RU's eyes Cuse is the hated "snob". RU-UConn had great promise for heated FB rivalry for the younger fans and I'm pretty sure most of UConns FB fans BC is the team with the bullseye !!

Reaction Score
I have travelled all over to see a game...Columbus, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Baton Rouge, Roanoke, Baltimore, Clemson, Atlanta, Auburn, Miami, etc.

Have only had one very bad experience in 40 years. But...because it involved mistreatment of my wife, I have vowed to never enter that stadium (actually whole town) again.

It really is just a numbers game. If you go to enough away games, you will eventually run into a drunk and belligerent young tough.

Reaction Score
ND fans had a bad experience at Morgantown in 2000. There was a lot of discussion then and afterwards that the Irish really never wanted to play there again.

Note: I was born/raised 25 miles north of Morgantown in Uniontown, Pa. I used to drive down to WVU often back in the Seventies when the drinking age for Pa. was 21 and that of West Virginia was 18.

I have had a number of friends and relatives graduate from WVU, so I have no built in bias or animosity to the Mountaineers. I am just relating what ND people have said who attended that game.

Reaction Score
I have travelled all over to see a game...Columbus, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Baton Rouge, Roanoke, Baltimore, Clemson, Atlanta, Auburn, Miami, etc.

Have only had one very bad experience in 40 years. But...because it involved mistreatment of my wife, I have vowed to never enter that stadium (actually whole town) again.

It really is just a numbers game. If you go to enough away games, you will eventually run into a drunk and belligerent young tough.
Hey billy I just spent 2 hrs over at LT's the Okla CR board and found Buckaneer arguing the same bs over there? Imagine him calling the guys on their own board trolls? He can't even convince his own "conference mates" of the "greatness,stability and wealth of the B12? Funny about him but he puts in a lot of work promoting his new conference. I think I heard someone asking a mod to ban him and someone else(dayooper?) I think? mentioned he was previously banned here! Amusing though through loyalty a bit deluded.

Reaction Score
RU went there(College Park,Md) a few yrs ago and said they had a small following(23G?) attending their FB games ?

Its really strange. Maryland sits in some pretty prime recruiting territory for football and hoops. And, they have no direct competition from within the state to deal with. They should be signing good classes, even if they never left the MD-DC-NOVA corridor. And, drawing large crowds to boot.

Maybe its just me, but, I have always thought that Baltimore and DC were pro sports-first towns. And, that could be one thing dragging on their attendance. Fighting the Orioles, Nationals, Ravens, Redskins, Wizards, and, Capitals for the entertainment dollars has got to be tough.

Funny that so popular a school as Miami gets such tiny crowds at their HGs in a state where HS FB is so popular.

Miami was in pretty good shape until the city tore the old Orange Bowl down. Now, they play at the Dolphins' stadium, which is like 20 miles from the campus. Its no wonder kids don't go.

Plus, I hear that the city of Coral Gables would not work with them on finding a suitable place close to campus to build their own stadium. They don't need one that seats 80K, like FSU and UF both have. Even something like a 45-47,000 seat facility (or something around to that size) closer to the university would stand them in better stead than what they have now.

Reaction Score
Miami was in pretty good shape until the city tore the old Orange Bowl down. Now, they play at the Dolphins' stadium, which is like 20 miles from the campus. Its no wonder kids don't go.

Plus, I hear that the city of Coral Gables would not work with them on finding a suitable place close to campus to build their own stadium. They don't need one that seats 80K, like FSU and UF both have. Even something like a 45-47,000 seat facility (or something around to that size) closer to the university would stand them in better stead than what they have now.

It would be nice if Miami could get a stadium built on campus or close to it. The Orange Bowl wasn't close to Coral Gables either requiring a good little drive, and it was a dump badly in need of a wrecking ball. And you were parking your car in an awful neighborhood, or you took the shuttles from the commuter parking lots on I-95. It was as bad as trying to park at LA Coliseum in South Central LA. I don't know how they are handling it for the Marlins today.

Dolphins Stadium is much nicer with all the amenities and ample parking. But the issue is that it is too large like you suggest unless they are playing FSU or Florida. There has to be somewhere in South Dade that Miami could build a stadium closer to Coral Gables. I don't know if that is money they want to spend though.

Reaction Score
Hey billy I just spent 2 hrs over at LT's the Okla CR board and found Buckaneer arguing the same bs over there? Imagine him calling the guys on their own board trolls? He can't even convince his own "conference mates" of the "greatness,stability and wealth of the B12? Funny about him but he puts in a lot of work promoting his new conference. I think I heard someone asking a mod to ban him and someone else(dayooper?) I think? mentioned he was previously banned here! Amusing though through loyalty a bit deluded.

He's on Shaggy Bevo wailing away at the Texas folks. I went over there the other day, and there he was arguing away with Texas fans about how Texas is completely happy in the Big XII because it is the best thing out there. I had never noticed him before he came here. Now I'm seeing him everywhere.

Reaction Score
Bucky sees himself as a missionary of the Big 12. You'll see him spreading the word to the heathens on the Ohio State, Texas, WVU, FSU, Kansas, and other boards.

He also preaches of the weakness and idolatry present in the followers of Swofford.

In another life, he would be wearing a white shirt, a skinny black tie, and riding a bike from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Reaction Score
Buckaneer is borderline certifiable. He is a one man crusade hell bent on converting hearts and minds over to Big 12 Supremacy. It's amusing watching him label OU, KU, and UT Fans trolls on their own boards when they discuss the subject of their respective teams' options for conference homes a few years from today. When fans express interest in anything but the Big 12-2 he comes unglued. Pretty strange that he seems to care 100 x more about the conference his team is a member of, as opposed to discussing his actual team.

Reaction Score
Bucky doesn't really post much on the WVU football board despite his affirmation that he has done so...I have posted about WVU football for 12 years on the football board and have rarely seen Bucky.

His thing is not actually West Virginia football...it is almost exclusively CR.

Reaction Score
Bucky doesn't really post much on the WVU football board despite his affirmation that he has done so...I have posted about WVU football for 12 years on the football board and have rarely seen Bucky.

His thing is not actually West Virginia football...it is almost exclusively CR.

You and I are generally interested in conference realignment, thus the fact that we as FSU and PSU fans are posting on a Uconn Board. Buck's obsession with propping up the Big 12-2 Conference at all times and on all sites is something altogether different. If he weren't banned from this site he would be here right now, and this thread would be 3x as long.

Reaction Score
You need to clarify. I've said Louisville academics are bad. I just said they aren't much worse than anyone ranked past 50. Past 50 they all run together. If Rice University improved their athletics, Rice's academics pass the sniff test. The school is on the small side though. West Virginia's academics are not very good.

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Where did you get the number 50 from? I'm not sure if there is a threshold where you begin to lump schools together, but if there is it's probably closer to 10 or 15. I'd rather be ranked 50 than 75, 75 rather than 100 etc.; but I think other than the Ivies and maybe a few other schools like MIT and UChicago there is not a huge difference in the rest.

UVa is clearly a better school than Louisville, but IMHO the gap between them is smaller than the gap between the Ivies and UVa.

Reaction Score
Buckaneer is borderline certifiable. He is a one man crusade hell bent on converting hearts and minds over to Big 12 Supremacy. It's amusing watching him label OU, KU, and UT Fans trolls on their own boards when they discuss the subject of their respective teams' options for conference homes a few years from today. When fans express interest in anything but the Big 12-2 he comes unglued. Pretty strange that he seems to care 100 x more about the conference his team is a member of, as opposed to discussing his actual team.

It was almost as if he figured that if he posted something enough times that it would eventually come true.

Reaction Score
I've seen posters on many sites who will post and repeat a slew of facts (and sometimes mistruths) together with plenty of links. Then somehow believe that any conclusion they draw from these are indisputable facts as well, and get nastily defensive and malicious when others draw a different conclusion. And then accuse the objects of their flaming as malicious. Go figure.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Most of the fans who come here are in equal parts uneasy about where they stand and happy they're not standing where we're standing. That's why we see breathless defenses of the ACC's might, Texas's love of all things B12 and the plain indefensible state of Rutgers' athletics. Everyone is standing on their rickety hill pounding their chests.

There's a reason we never see SEC fans here and it's because they just don't give a s--- about realignment because there's no danger in it for them.

SEC fans and (some) UConn fans are the only realists left in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight: there are over 3,000 accredited 4-year universities in the United States. Yet, according to btstimpy, 1-50 are distinguishable but 51-3,000 all run together.

Do I have that right?

Pretty amazing that (a very arbitrary, mind you) 51 is apparently indistinguishable from No. 3,000.

Reaction Score
Where did you get the number 50 from? I'm not sure if there is a threshold where you begin to lump schools together, but if there is it's probably closer to 10 or 15. I'd rather be ranked 50 than 75, 75 rather than 100 etc.; but I think other than the Ivies and maybe a few other schools like MIT and UChicago there is not a huge difference in the rest.

UVa is clearly a better school than Louisville, but IMHO the gap between them is smaller than the gap between the Ivies and UVa.

It is abitrary. Yes, you are making my point, or at least see it. For National Universities, the Gap between no 1 and no 25 is huge. The gap between 25 and say 75 is large. Between 50 and 200 is not so large. There is one, but not so much. It is not linear, and trying to split hairs between someone ranked 65 and 165 is a waste of time. There is not much difference. There is a difference between 25 and 165, and there is a huge difference between 1 and 165. There are posters here telling me how wonderful schools ranked 65 are. 65? Are you kidding me?

In athletics, we select 25 to recognize. I thought I was being generous at 50. And the ACC does recognize its count of universities in the Top 50. They promote in on the ACCIAC website. It is 8, which is more than any other athletic conference than the Ivy League who also has 8. Their 8 are in the Top 25.

So all of this bruhaha about Louisville's academics and the ACC taking an academics dog is nonsense if the alternative is another school past 50. It if is compared to the ACC passing on Yale to take Louisville over academics, that would be different. I could see the complaint then.

Reaction Score
You and I are generally interested in conference realignment, thus the fact that we as FSU and PSU fans are posting on a Uconn Board. Buck's obsession with propping up the Big 12-2 Conference at all times and on all sites is something altogether different. If he weren't banned from this site he would be here right now, and this thread would be 3x as long.
Its funny...if the OBE had a few guys as intense as Bucky when WVU was still a FB conference member it might have stayed together in some form(minus the C7)?I know they (eer's fans) seem wacky but I have to admire their fighting spirit and intensity(something some fanbases lack) but it appears the eer's fanbase has a complex about there position in the FB hierarchy. Btw, on a different topic I think what Fishy said just above about us visitors here shows he has an unusally good grasp/sense of the mindset of a lot of us posters here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still do not get the whole "academic" argument when discussing sports. Never did. Not when Virginia and UNC did not want FSU added to the ACC (because they did not fit the academic mold) and not when discussing Louisille.

Until they start rewarding playoff spots or bowls on academic performance or it affects the numbers of TV viewers, I see the whole argument as somewhat specious.

Reaction Score
I still do not get the whole "academic" argument when discussing sports. Never did. Not when Virginia and UNC did not want FSU added to the ACC (because they did not fit the academic mold) and not when discussing Louisille.

Until they start rewarding playoff spots or bowls on academic performance or it affects the numbers of TV viewers, I see the whole argument as somewhat specious.

My recollection is that FSU got in by a vote of 7-1, with Maryland the only dissent. Pres. Kirwan at the time said that he didn't have a problem with FSU, but didn't think it was the right time to expand. If Virginia and UNC were opposed, there wouldn't have been enough votes.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that FSU got in by a vote of 7-1, with Maryland the only dissent. Pres. Kirwan at the time said that he didn't have a problem with FSU, but didn't think it was the right time to expand. If Virginia and UNC were opposed, there wouldn't have been enough votes.
I dont think billy mean't tobacco rd voted against FSU just that they did holding their noses and needed convincing? Obviously Md wasn't convinced so i can see the FSU sympathy too L'ville. It's never easy getting 10 or 12 institutions on the same page when their agenda's/wants are so diverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom